PDA

View Full Version : Perfect week for a different approach?

StainlessStill
12-04-2010, 07:33 AM
With our offensive woes and the issues we have on our line, and now.. at the QB position, could this be the perfect week for Arians (if he's smart enough) to tinker with the playbook and hit Baltimore with some things they could never see coming? Could this be our week that we see the Steelers pull a "Cleveland" and do what they did against the Saints and Patriots & hit them with trick play upon trick play to their advantage? Could this be the game we hit the Ravens with something they haven't seen, kind of like what the Dolphins did to the Patriots some years ago with the Wild-Cat?

I sure hope so. Looking at our history with this team and how each of us play the same kind of ball since our existence & judging by the problems we now face with not only matchups, but injuries, I hope we can gain some kind of an edge and change our priorities, only it's just for one game to SOMEHOW get out of Baltimore with a MUCH needed "W."

EVERY game is a big game in this league. This happens to be H-U-G-E.

Thoughts?

DoctorCAD
12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Nope, we will still see

Run directly into the center of the line for no gain
Run directly into the line for a 2 yard gain
Pass 5 yards
Punt

We all know it, every defense in the history of the NFL knows it and the Cub Scout flag football team knows it.

Ariens is incapable of change.

iceman000123
12-04-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll doubt we'll see change. Although I do think we need to get Heath Miller back into the offense. He used to be one of Ben's main targets and defense had to adjust to him opening up other receivers. But now.....Well You know...

StainlessStill
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I'll doubt we'll see change. Although I do think we need to get Heath Miller back into the offense. He used to be one of Ben's main targets and defense had to adjust to him opening up other receivers. But now.....Well You know...

I agree. Unfortunate thing is, is that Heath is too valuable and he is needed more-so for support right now VS option in the passing game. Our O-line is so banged up at the moment that Ben needs all the protection he needs and Heath is the man off the edge that gives us our best option at edge protection since he's a big body and a nice blocker as well.

Hopefully come playoff time (knock on wood) Heath will see more touches. If we can somehow manage to draw up a game-plan and give Ben time, then Heath will let loose. Until then, he will be used as a extra blocker in a scheme so desperate for protection of our quarterback.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Nope, we will still see

Run directly into the center of the line for no gain
Run directly into the line for a 2 yard gain
Pass 5 yards
Punt

We all know it, every defense in the history of the NFL knows it and the Cub Scout flag football team knows it.

Ariens is incapable of change.

Not to defend Bruce Arians, but, he would get really confused reading NFL message boards.

For two years, Steelers fans balked at his pass-first offense, and how we never run the ball. And when we did run the ball, Arians "got cute" and would design overly elaborate running plays that inevitably get blown up in the backfield bfore they can launch.

Now, that we are trying to "pound the rock" and play Cowher-ball, everyone is bagging on him for running the ball up the gut on 1st downs.

I think Arians' situational playcalling is terrible, but seriously, some fans just can't be pleased, no matter what.

StainlessStill
12-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Not to defend Bruce Arians, but, he would get really confused reading NFL message boards.

For two years, Steelers fans balked at his pass-first offense, and how we never run the ball. And when we did run the ball, Arians "got cute" and would design overly elaborate running plays that inevitably get blown up in the backfield bfore they can launch.

Now, that we are trying to "pound the rock" and play Cowher-ball, everyone is bagging on him for running the ball up the gut on 1st downs.

I think Arians' situational playcalling is terrible, but seriously, some fans just can't be pleased, no matter what.

I can agree with this. It's not necc "running the ball more" or "passing on this down and running on this down" certain percentages (we've been VERY balanced this season) of field position and the flow of the game determine EVERY play call but I agree that it's more SITUATIONAL play calling than the play calling itself. Like a reverse play on your own 19 yard line on a short field or 3 straight running plays up the middle (when it got stuffed twice for negative yardage) with your fullback on the INCH line when you have possibly the biggest and strongest QB in the game to lunge forward.

He called a HELLUVA game against Oakland, probably the best I've seen since his tenure here. Lets hope he's on top of his game this Sunday Night (even though that's not saying too much.)

iceman000123
12-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I agree. Unfortunate thing is, is that Heath is too valuable and he is needed more-so for support right now VS option in the passing game. Our O-line is so banged up at the moment that Ben needs all the protection he needs and Heath is the man off the edge that gives us our best option at edge protection since he's a big body and a nice blocker as well.

Hopefully come playoff time (knock on wood) Heath will see more touches. If we can somehow manage to draw up a game-plan and give Ben time, then Heath will let loose. Until then, he will be used as a extra blocker in a scheme so desperate for protection of our quarterback.

Yea that is true. I can't believe how much damage our line has taken this year. I'm glad Ben is used to getting hit otherwise I'd a hella lot more worried. But we always find ways to win games which separates us from a lot of football teams out there. Like the bills, no offense to them they a highly competitive football team, but they tend to always find ways to lose. Which is why despite all the problems we might be having right now I like our chances this year. :tt02:

Merchant
12-04-2010, 10:46 PM
There's two sides of the coin to those "trick plays." If we fake a punt in our territory and it backfires it could prove to be detrimental. What did that Browns/Saints game and Dolphins/Pats game have in common? Both the Browns and Dolphins were heavy underdogs - they had nothing to lose by trying those trick plays. With Pitt/Baltimore games, it's pretty much a coin toss on who will win, so not that I'm against it, but I don't think there's a need to risk a trick-play backfiring.

StainlessStill
12-04-2010, 10:53 PM
There's two sides of the coin to those "trick plays." If we fake a punt in our territory and it backfires it could prove to be detrimental. What did that Browns/Saints game and Dolphins/Pats game have in common? Both the Browns and Dolphins were heavy underdogs - they had nothing to lose by trying those trick plays. With Pitt/Baltimore games, it's pretty much a coin toss on who will win, so not that I'm against it, but I don't think there's a need to risk a trick-play backfiring.

Meh, I don't necc buy into the under-dog thing. The Pats saw the Browns take it to the World Champion Saints a week earlier so they knew they were capable.

The Steelers and Ravens have played the same style of game and have played it more than a decade now. It might not change, but since both teams play almost identical to one another, I think this is the perfect scenario to try it.

Merchant
12-04-2010, 11:03 PM
I can't even remember the last time we faked a punt tbh

StainlessStill
12-04-2010, 11:13 PM
I can't even remember the last time we faked a punt tbh

Exactly.:tt02:

stb_steeler
12-05-2010, 12:03 AM
I dont think the Steelers get to fancy with the ravens...Its usualy a smashmouth game. Heck, Steelers aint been fancy since the 05 playoff game against the Bunholes!

ricardisimo
12-05-2010, 02:33 AM

It's not running vs. passing. It's his how and why. If every game we played were in howling, freezing winds like last years' Cleveland debacle, he'd call 60 pass plays. No doubt. If, on the other hand, we're playing a team with a depleted secondary... pound the rock.

Arians is just so goddamn clever. Whatever a "normal" OC would do, he'll do the exact opposite. It's not enough to be predictably awful week-in and week-out. No, the piece de resistance is telegraphing most of your plays to the defense well ahead of time, running half or two-thirds of your plays without a back behind Ben ("Gee, I wonder what they're going to do?") He's gonna fake everyone out one of these days. You just wait and see. It'll be a doozy.

That said, I will temper this a bit by saying that I think he's a decent coach in terms of preparing the boys leading up to game time, and I think he's a mite better at play-calling this season than last. That's not really saying much, because he sucked donkey dicks last year.

This week presents a real conundrum for Bruce: Baltimore is equally good against the pass as it is against the run. How will he pick which one to screw up? That very confusion may be what saves the game.

pete74
12-05-2010, 04:07 AM
We definatly need to stop being so preditable against the Ravens. Hell that's why we lost to them 2 months ago. We had that game and all we needed was a 1st down to run the clock and we call 3 straight rushing plays when Baltimore has the box stacked. The Ravens even stated after the game that they knew all they had to do was stop the run 3 times and that would give Flacco a chance to put the game away.

Were just so predictable when we play Baltimore anymore. They know were going to start the game with 2 runs then a pass. We should start with a pitch to Randel el then let him air it out to Wallace. We also need slot of short to intermediate passes because Ben won't have more then 3 seconds before he's swarmed by Lewis and company.

Rick5895
12-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Fake punts, trick plays etc are all well and good. Predictability has killed the offense more than anything and Arians has a hard time adjusting to other teams defenses. You have to set the "gimmick" plays up, with this team they just try them without setting the Defense up. Reverses, flea flickers and the cutesy Randle El reverse pass don't work unless the D is being over aggressive and biting on the fakes. Since the Cowher years teams expect that from us especially between the 40's, so they coach the players up to maintain the responsibilities. That makes it harder for the play to work and often turns into a loss.

That all being said, the RAVENS are not the team to get cute with, we have to line up and smash them in the mouth.

steelerdave1969
12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
The one thing that I would like to see most with our offense is some 3 step drops and get the ball out by Ben. I know that I havent seen it much but it works for other teams that have offensive line troubles. I really dont know that I have ever seen Ben drop back and get rid of the ball after 3 steps and when he has he is not very consistent with them. Its gonna be a rough game either way thats for sure.:coffee: