PDA

View Full Version : Woodley Is Getting His Hurries

mesaSteeler
12-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Woodley Is Getting His Hurries
Posted on December 4, 2010 by JJ
Steelers Lounge
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/woodley-hurries/

Maybe LaMarr Woodley has been more effective than we think.

On the Ravens’ preview Podcast Ryan, Gretz and I mentioned how we hoped Woodley would have a big game against the Ravens, and how he’d seemed somewhat disappointing as a pass rusher.

But that was before I saw these stats. Football Outsiders has a team of volunteers that chart each and every game. And among their stats they log are quarterback hits, hurries and who induces holding calls.

According to FO’s stats, Woodley is fourth in the league in quarterback hurries this year in addition to his 7.5 sacks. Through the first 10 games of the season, Woodley is averaging 2.4 hurries per game. James Harrison is averaging 1.8 hurries per game (tied for 15th in the league).

Harrison also ranked third in the league in holding penalties induced (six this season) and he ranks in the top 20 in quarterback hits.

If Pittsburgh is going to beat the Ravens, they need Harrison and Woodley to keep Joe Flacco uncomfortable. It’s something they have managed to do in the past, and they will be helped by the fact that Michael Oher is banged up. The player I’ll be watching is Woodley–if he can beat Marshal Yanda consistently, it will go a long way toward beating Baltimore.

DanRooney
12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Woodley Is Getting His Hurries
Posted on December 4, 2010 by JJ
Steelers Lounge
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/12/woodley-hurries/

Maybe LaMarr Woodley has been more effective than we think.

On the Ravens’ preview Podcast Ryan, Gretz and I mentioned how we hoped Woodley would have a big game against the Ravens, and how he’d seemed somewhat disappointing as a pass rusher.

But that was before I saw these stats. Football Outsiders has a team of volunteers that chart each and every game. And among their stats they log are quarterback hits, hurries and who induces holding calls.

According to FO’s stats, Woodley is fourth in the league in quarterback hurries this year in addition to his 7.5 sacks. Through the first 10 games of the season, Woodley is averaging 2.4 hurries per game. James Harrison is averaging 1.8 hurries per game (tied for 15th in the league).

Harrison also ranked third in the league in holding penalties induced (six this season) and he ranks in the top 20 in quarterback hits.

If Pittsburgh is going to beat the Ravens, they need Harrison and Woodley to keep Joe Flacco uncomfortable. It’s something they have managed to do in the past, and they will be helped by the fact that Michael Oher is banged up. The player I’ll be watching is Woodley–if he can beat Marshal Yanda consistently, it will go a long way toward beating Baltimore.

Stats are skewed. He plays every snap. Despite this, he has entire games with stats like 3 tackles, 1 solo. He's been a complete non-factor for almost every game this season.

steeltheone
12-04-2010, 09:20 AM
He wants big time money...So we want big time production!

MDSteel15
12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Stats are skewed. He plays every snap. Despite this, he has entire games with stats like 3 tackles, 1 solo. He's been a complete non-factor for almost every game this season.

You are wrong! HE doesn't play every snap.. He plays most of them but not every...

Fire Arians
12-04-2010, 02:02 PM
he's doing well. not superstar status but above average.

wouldn't want to keep him for BIG money, but im all for keeping him if the price is reasonable

SH-Rock
12-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Woodley could be traded so he should be more consistent. Timmons or Worilds could take his spot and put Sly in for ILB. Maybe the next few weeks would show how great Woodley really is. :tt03::tt03::tt03:

fer522
12-04-2010, 05:49 PM
he's been as solid as any lb on our team
i would not trade him but i also would not
pay him big time money and im predicting
a big game from him on sunday :wink02:

:drink: :tt03: :drink:

skinart82
12-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Letting Woodley go would be a MAJOR mistake, he might not be having the best year of his career this year, but he will remain a great LB! And if he gets traded I can already see him becoming one of the best ever, so please don't, I Love Woodley!!!

austinfrench76
12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Keep him for sure but don't pay him BIG money! That's when they move Timmons outside. Not sure if Worilds would them go inside but they have options.

DanRooney
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
No he literally does play EVERY snap.

He's playing as good has any linebacker on our team? Right now, I'd put him 4th, behind Taunto Farrior. If he played with half the tenacity as James Harrison or Lawrence Timmons, we'd have an unstoppable unit.

iceman000123
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I do think Woodley is good for our team. He might not be getting many tackles and sacks but holding calls ruin drives and hurries force turnovers. I'll take those over a regular tackle anyday!

pete74
12-05-2010, 04:13 AM
Woodley is definatly a good player and helps out team but I don't belive he is good enough to warrent a top 5 OLB'er salery like he wanted before the season. He definatly deserves a new contract but not a top 5.

TRH
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I agree he's playing "good". But certainly not at the level that is constituting the GIGANTIC, huge money/salary demands that appears to be coming from his agent. No way.

lionslicer
12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
You are wrong! HE doesn't play every snap.. He plays most of them but not every...

He plays more snaps than anyone in the front 7. Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark are probably the only players on the defense that plays more snaps than him.

I think he deserves to be paid a tad above average, thats it.

fer522
12-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I think he deserves to be paid a tad above average, thats it.

agree with you brother

steeltheone
12-05-2010, 09:45 PM
No he literally does play EVERY snap.

He's playing as good has any linebacker on our team? Right now, I'd put him 4th, behind Taunto Farrior. If he played with half the tenacity as James Harrison or Lawrence Timmons, we'd have an unstoppable unit.

Are you kidding me? Farrior is a huge liability after 2nd down...