PDA

View Full Version : NFL tells players to save checks for lockout next year

lionslicer
12-04-2010, 02:09 PM
So there is like a 95% chance of a lockout next season, but I was reading this article and something Matt Light from the Patriots said that completely stunned me. He talked about the NFL cancelling players health insurance possibly during the lockout. The monthly cost of health insurance a month anyone making over 250,000 a year is really not that much. Infact they could probably just not have health insurance and pay the doctors cash and be on their way.

But he said taking the health insurance away was personal because what if someone were to have a child duringthis lock out... How about people making 30k who still have children without health insurance? I swear sometimes money goes to these guy's heads sometimes and they totally forget what the real world is like. Can't cought up an extra $10,000 a year for health insurance from your $3 million a year contract?

I feel a bit for Woodley, he actually makes less a year than my moms boyfriend who is an accountant after taxes. But if he acts smart with his checks and saves up a decent amount and uses a bit of grade school math, he'll be fine.

The NFL players' union has advised its members to prepare for a lockout that it expects to come in March, telling players to save their last three game checks this year in case there isn't a 2011 season.

In a letter to the players that was seen by The Associated Press, NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said the union had an "internal deadline" for agreeing to a new collective bargaining agreement.

"That deadline has now passed," Smith wrote. "It is important that you protect yourself and your family."

The letter was dated Wednesday, and copies were strewn across a table in the New England Patriots' locker room during media availability Saturday. After a reporter asked players about the letter, a Patriots spokesman flipped the copies face-down.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello called the union's stance "disappointing and inexplicable, especially for fans."

"We hope this does not mean the union has abandoned negotiating in favor of de-certifying and litigating," he said. "We are ready to meet and negotiate anytime and anywhere. But it takes sustained effort and shared commitment to reach an agreement. One side can't do it alone."

The one-page letter on NFLPA stationery said the union expects owners to lock out players starting March 4 and that players should work with their advisers to prepare for an impending lack of income.

The letter also said the league is planning to cancel the players' health insurance. The union said it is filing a grievance to contest a cancellation of health insurance, citing a section of the collective bargaining agreement that states: "Players will continue to receive the benefits provided in this article through the end of the Plan Year in which they are released or otherwise sever employment."

Dennis Curran, NFL senior vice president for labor litigation and policy, told the union in October that an employer isn't obligated to provide wages or salary or to pay for certain continued benefits for employees during a work stoppage. Curran added that under federal law, employees are entitled to continue their employer-provided health insurance coverage at their own or their union's expense.

At that time, Aiello also pointed to the federal COBRA law, which allows employees to continue their existing coverage without interruption at their own expense or the expense of their union.

"This means that no player or family member would experience any change in coverage for so much as a single day because of a work stoppage," Aiello told The AP in an e-mail. "The union surely knows this and there is no excuse for suggesting otherwise."

Patriots offensive lineman Matt Light, one of the team's player representatives, said Saturday that players understand the nature of the business, but canceling health insurance is a different matter.

"You're going to cancel somebody's health insurance and maybe they've got a baby that's due in the offseason?" he said. "Yeah, it gets personal."

Light said he is doing his best to educate his teammates on how to prepare.

"They've got to look at it like they're going into a period in which they are going to change their financial situation," he said. "Nobody knows what's going to happen. But if you're going to go a year without getting paid, you need to prepare accordingly."

Patriots linebacker Tully Banta-Cain said he already was squirreling away his savings in case of a lockout. Banta-Cain said he also was working on his outside businesses, which include a clothing line and a music label.

"I'm trying to prepare," he said. "And I'm trying to establish my off-the-field businesses and make sure I can make money in the offseason."

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2010, 02:54 PM
The letter also said the league is planning to cancel the players' health insurance.

But I thought player safety always comes first with Roger Goodell?:noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I feel a bit for Woodley, he actually makes less a year than my moms boyfriend who is an accountant after taxes. But if he acts smart with his checks and saves up a decent amount and uses a bit of grade school math, he'll be fine.

The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) have decided not to give outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10490) a contract extension before the start of the 2010 season, a source told ESPN.com on Monday. Woodley is in the final year of his rookie deal and will make $550,000 this season, making him one of the NFL's best bargains.
for some reason i'm having a hard time feeling sorry for lamarr ....:noidea:
so your mom's boyfriend made over 3 mill in the last 4 years ?

Today, the Steelers agreed on a contract with second-round draft choice LaMarr Woodley. That's the good news. The bad news is that it's a four-year contract, which in my estimation, isn't ideal. Click here (http://the-steelyard.blogspot.com/2007/06/criticism-of-steelers-rookie-contracts.html)to find out why.

By the way, Woodley got a $1.865 million signing bonus, along with base salaries of $285,000, $370,000, $460,000 and $550,000.

OX1947
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
The letter also said the league is planning to cancel the players' health insurance.

But I thought player safety always comes first with Roger Goodell?:noidea:

Goodell doesn't give a (BLEEP) about anyones health but those who are bringing in money. That is it. Brady, Mannings, those guys. I hope the lockout happens and it happens for all of 2011. The NFL needs to get rid of Goodell. If it wasnt for the Steelers, I would never watch it. It is garbage.

lionslicer
12-05-2010, 01:10 AM
for some reason i'm having a hard time feeling sorry for lamarr ....:noidea:
so your mom's boyfriend made over 3 mill in the last 4 years ?

Im just going by his base salary :noidea: After taxes he'll pull in like 250-300k depending on his accountant before any of his bonuses . My moms bf makes between 300-350k depending on who hires him. Someties he gets free cars.

I actually didn't even think LaMarr got bonuses because of his rookie contract