PDA

View Full Version : Titans Tell McNair to Leave training facility

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Agent: Titans want McNair's contract status resolvedBy Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair was asked to leave the team's training facility when he reported Monday for offseason workouts, his agent and team sources confirmed.

McNair was told by a team trainer that he would not be allowed to work out until his contract situation is resolved, according to James "Bus" Cook, who represents McNair.

"Steve was told that until he got his contract straightened out, he wasn't welcome at the facility," said Cook. "Heck, he's got his contract already straightened out and now he's trying to fulfill it by reporting for the offseason."

Cook said there had been no warning of the team's position. Titans sources said it was a decision was made by owner Bud Adams, who apparently fears that an offseason injury would make him liable for McNair's current contract.

Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who was in Los Angeles observing USC quarterback Matt Leinart in a private workout Monday, declined to elaborate but said, "Things got blown out of proportion. ... We'll get it straightened out."

McNair is scheduled to make $10 million in 2006, including a $1 million team penalty because the Titans declined to exercise a three-year option. His salary cap charge is almost $24 million, and the team is trying to get McNair to restructure his deal. It has been speculated that the team could release the quarterback if there is not a new contract in place in the near future.

"The reason his cap number is $24 million is because they kept asking him to restructure every year to create space," Cook said. "This guy has done everything for the team, and he has two or three really good years left. Now, they treat him like this."

ESPN's Chris Mortensen is a regular contributor to Insider. He chats every Wednesday in The Show.

SteelShooter
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Wow................I don't have much else to say. Just..................Wow!

BB2W
04-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Wow... that is pretty cruel to treat a player like that after all he has done for the franchise.

I think it is wrong how teams backload contracts so it doesn't hurt their present cap situation, but when it is time for the player to collect his money they restructure it. They can usually justify this because the player is now a shadow of his former self.

clevestinks
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Hopefully his mom wont drive up there drunk with Steves kids in the car,

Avoid Lloyd
04-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Some owners just have no class.

Atleast let the guy workout for God's sake....

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Judging that he's one the main reasons the Titans have had any success since being in TN, I would have to say that is a pretty low move from the Titan organization.

Ambridge
04-04-2006, 04:10 PM
McNair likely wont be back in Tennessee so all the Titans are doing is covering their ass.
I'm sure they could have went about it in a much more diplomatic fashion instead of giving him the "bums rush" out of their facility.

MasterOfPuppets
04-04-2006, 05:50 PM
mcnair will be a ratbird this season.

tony hipchest
04-04-2006, 06:11 PM
mcnair will be a ratbird this season.

i think so too. i hate to have to root against mcnair. the titans, oilers were always my favorite central opponent. they say no one ever remembers the sb loser. but i will never forget 2000 and the great comeback mcnai almost led.

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Ravens seem to be showing interest......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2397172

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-04-2006, 11:13 PM
i would hate to see mcnair go to the ratbirds........i like the guy......but what will my options be????

tony hipchest
04-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Ravens seem to be showing interest......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2397172 i think the ravens have been banking on this for weeks. explains why they have shown little interrest in anyone else.

i liked this ringing endorsement of k. boller:

"Right now, the way I see it, I've got the job in the league," Newsome said last week. "There aren't any other teams left out there where you can say to an agent or [a quarterback], 'Look, you can come in here and win the job.' There's one opening, and I've got it, and there are a lot of guys out there."

Suitanim
04-05-2006, 09:45 AM
If McNair ends up in Ratbirdville, that team suddenly gets quite a bit better. I'd say on par with an improved Cleveland, and better than a Palmer-less Bengals.

That battle for 2nd in the AFC North just got a little more interesting....

Ambridge
04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
If McNair ends up in Ratbirdville, that team suddenly gets quite a bit better. I'd say on par with an improved Cleveland, and better than a Palmer-less Bengals.

That battle for 2nd in the AFC North just got a little more interesting....

Don't forget McNair is also very fragile and he hasn't played an entire 16 game schedule since 2002.
Who ever picks up McNair isn't getting the Steve McNair of old.

Stlrs4Life
04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
McNair likely wont be back in Tennessee so all the Titans are doing is covering their ass.
I'm sure they could have went about it in a much more diplomatic fashion instead of giving him the "bums rush" out of their facility.

I hear ya, I think any team would probably do the same. Like you said though, they could have been a little more professional about it.

Suitanim
04-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Don't forget McNair is also very fragile and he hasn't played an entire 16 game schedule since 2002.
Who ever picks up McNair isn't getting the Steve McNair of old.

8 average McNair games certainly trumps any 16 games of shitty Ratbird QB platooning of the last few years...I'll give them 3-5 McNair wins, which may put them in the 8-8 to 10-6 range, and good enough for second

Petesburgh66
04-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Talk about the door hiting your ass on the way out.

DIESELMAN
04-09-2006, 12:14 PM
According to ESPN's Ed Werder, the NFLPA is planning to file a grievance against the Titans for preventing Steve McNair from working out with team.