PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts after the Ravens game

sharkweek
12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
1. I'd love to see how great this D would be without glaring weaknesses in the secondary. People talk about the D line being a problem but I don't see it, we're still hands down the league's best run D and we're still getting sacks and hurries. Maybe not as much as we need to support our weak secondary, but I think the problem is primarily in the secondary.

2. Ward is one of my all time favorite players, so it really hurts me to say this but I think he's starting to drop off in his effectiveness. I wasn't so concerned about losing Holmes because Wallace's rookie season showed he easily had the potential to be just as good if not better the Holmes. The problem is that this was assuming Ward could continue to be a #1 any down threat, and that doesn't appear to be the case. Luckily Sanders and Brown both appear to be stepping up so I'm not too worried about the future but I still think its a concern, hopefully I'm wrong and Ward is just in a bit of a funk, I hope we can send him off like we did Bettis regardless.

3. Is anyone still wary about replacing Reed with Sui-Sham-Wow? The dude is not only perfect kicking thus far, he's perfect at 40-49 yards with more attempts than Reed at that range where Reed went 0-4 before getting cut. To top it off the dude came through with some amazing punts after Sepulveda went down, some of which he had to re-kick because of special teams blunders. This brings us to...

4. Penalties: we're still kicking ourselves with stupid/silly penalties, however at least we finally forced the other team to make more mistakes than we made, so we're at least on a one game improvement pace in that regard. :P

5. Yet again the no huddle works when traditional offense was an abysmal failure. Am I wrong in thinking that Ben has more control over the offense in these situations and Arians less? I don't think of myself as anti-Arians as many here are, but at this point its hard to believe we couldn't do better. I've always been of the mindset that, while defense wins championships, the best defense is a good offense, and our offense is barely enough to win games with our defense, we can't count on our defense being able to win everything for us like our first 4 games this season.

btaylor179
12-06-2010, 12:04 AM
suisham is the man,......no huddle and we move the ball at will......we shouldve never gotten rid of holmes....he was CLUTCH! i know i will have nay sayers but he was clutch

tony hipchest
12-06-2010, 12:21 AM
the commercials were off the hook and out of control. they broke for commecial evey other minute it seemed. replaces and analysis were ignored.

i understand there needs to be commecials, but to see 60 minutes of football with 2 hours of commecials is rediculous.

suggs better get a fine for open palm punching ben in the head, when he shot putted the ball away.

i thought heath was paralized. i could care less about the fine. i want the 15 yards.

ravens can suck it. i hope they feel like humiliated miserable failures. i openly laughed anytime one of their players got hurt.

screw them.

jamesharrisonst
12-06-2010, 12:26 AM
True to All that.
Also .This week the Nfl decided to non-call the other team rather than call Harrison.
Example. BEn hit in nose on purpose, No Call. Heath head ripped off. No Call.
Since Oakland, Steelers 3- Goodell 0.

MattsMe
12-06-2010, 12:29 AM
The thrill is gone.

This is the third week in a row where I've felt almost no joy after a win, only relief that it was over.

Roger Goodell has ruined America's game.

shovelnose
12-06-2010, 12:39 AM
The thrill is gone.

This is the third week in a row where I've felt almost no joy after a win, only relief that it was over.

Goodell punished the only
team he could this week

SoCalFan
12-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Goodell sucks.Did anyone notice purple towels in the stadium?Not me,maybe they thought they wer to sit on?Blow there noses with?

Kanata-Steeler
12-06-2010, 12:49 AM
I am so glad we plucked those Raven's feathers 2nite. -we need this badly.
On a side, as mentioned earlier, Ya -> the "commercials" were disgusting, I mean right after Heath Miller looked like his neck was broken, lying catatonic on the field -immediately they go to a freekin "commercial" ???!!!
-that's not just greedy, that's down right inhuman on the broadcasters' part. -i mean comon.
Thank God, Heath walked away and I hope he'll be just fine.

Troy of course, wow, what a game-breaker he is :)

and well BEN, took another lickin' but he stayed in there for us, and that was courageous on his part.

CaliStillersFan
12-06-2010, 12:51 AM
The thrill is gone.

I know exactly what you mean, and I feel the same way. I'll enjoy whatever games I get to see in the future for free, but I'm done with giving the NFL one cent of my money. The product used to be worth the money, now I just feel ripped off.

Third Rail
12-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Did anyone else notice how quick that stadium cleared out after the game? It was like they cut to commercial and right when they went back, it was empty. Baltimore is drowning in tears right now, lol. I hope this begins a downhill slide for them and they miss the playoffs entirely. I was actually starting to respect them a bit for sticking up for the Steelers in this penalty/fine controversy shit, but this game wiped that out. How do they not draw flags when the hit Ben in the face twice and knock Miller out? Bullshit.

Anyway, Suisham is the man, I agree. Glad we picked him up. Anyone else think he looks like the dude who played Captain Kirk in that new Star Trek movie?

tanda10506
12-06-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm pretty pumped after this one. Good game and win against a team I and we all hate. Finally a win against a good team, with the exception of Atlanta. Very optimistic. The pass rush was pretty decent with Keisel back and if we had better corner back's it would have definetly been sufficient enough. The O line did ok, better then they have. I thought it was an average performance by Ben but then again he didn't get any help from his recievers. A few big drops and also they just could not get open. There were a few times where Ben had A LOT of time and they still couldn't get open. I agree, we should have kept Holmes. Improvement by the referee's this game, I must say. There was 1 bad pass interference call and a horrible no call against the hit on Heath, but they weren't trying to obviously throw the game like they have been. Optimistic, but still room for improvement i.e. O line and cornerbacks (especially McFadden)

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 01:01 AM
the season will rest on how well our young players can step up. we have a ton of injuries on our team, it's up to our rookies and 2nd, 3rd year guys to rise to the challenge and keep the ship going.

so far, brown and sanders have been money, so has pouncey.

ziggy is looking better after every game he starts, he will soon be ready to replace smith, if he isn't already. our run D has had little to no dropoff with hood playing

Rick5895
12-06-2010, 05:39 AM
What the hell is with B MAC , he was decent before he left for Arizona, now he is awful.

Really impressed with the O Line after this one, I thought they did a great job in the 2nd half (also kudos to Kugler)

Ziggy is becoming a very good player, and Kiesel showed how valuable he is.

Finally, if this game shows why the players in the league think Harrison is being targeted. If Silverback makes those 3 hits he is flagged, fined and suspended!!

MasterOfPuppets
12-06-2010, 05:52 AM
mendenhal needs to stop dancing behind the line . my god , you got a running start and need three F'n feet ! make a damn hole with momentum don't freakin put on the breaks and run east / west !!!

SteelCityMom
12-06-2010, 10:29 AM
mendenhal needs to stop dancing behind the line . my god , you got a running start and need three F'n feet ! make a damn hole with momentum don't freakin put on the breaks and run east / west !!!

I was screaming the same thing last night. It's like he was afraid to hit someone to get a few extra yards at times.

I know a good bit of times there was just nowhere to go...but at least twice last night there would be a hole open with some Ravens waiting at the end of it and he would dance around and try to run to the outside. Hit the damn hole and knock someone over dammit! He was definitely playing scared last night though.

Whodis
12-06-2010, 10:40 AM
1. Troy Polamalu is Fast! I was just watching the reply of that hit and Flacco was in a 3 step drop. He couldn't believe he got there that fast and hats off to Harrison for making it happen.

2. Brett Keisel was everywhere. When we get Smith back and get a rotation of fresh DE's we will be lights out every Sunday.

3. Ben is the toughest QB I have ever seen. Sitting isn't an option and he's not affraid of anyone.

4. We need to stop running the ball if we aren't going to give the runningback a fullback to block. The LB's were waiting at the line all night long. I didn't see anyone at fullback all night.

5. We deserved this game as much as the rats deserved the game in Pitt. Big win for the Steelers and great game for the defense!

Third Rail
12-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah, Mendenhall needs learn a lesson in running FORWARD. I know that our run blocking isn't the best, but seriously... at the very least you could pick up 1 yard instead of losing 3.

steeltheone
12-06-2010, 11:21 AM
1. Troy Polamalu is Fast! I was just watching the reply of that hit and Flacco was in a 3 step drop. He couldn't believe he got there that fast and hats off to Harrison for making it happen.

2. Brett Keisel was everywhere. When we get Smith back and get a rotation of fresh DE's we will be lights out every Sunday.

3. Ben is the toughest QB I have ever seen. Sitting isn't an option and he's not affraid of anyone.

4. We need to stop running the ball if we aren't going to give the runningback a fullback to block. The LB's were waiting at the line all night long. I didn't see anyone at fullback all night.

5. We deserved this game as much as the rats deserved the game in Pitt. Big win for the Steelers and great game for the defense!

Keisel had 1 tackle and 3 assists.....He is ok but..slow and old That Ngata kid from the Ravens is fast and hungry...Thats what we need!

Quasar
12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I know exactly what you mean, and I feel the same way. I'll enjoy whatever games I get to see in the future for free, but I'm done with giving the NFL one cent of my money. The product used to be worth the money, now I just feel ripped off.

What about when the Steelers visit the 49ers in 2011? Wouldn't you try to go to that game? I'm in southern Cali, and hope to make it there next season- if there is a next season!

Quasar
12-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Agreed. He was indecisive, and paid for it with being tackled behind the line of scrimmage too many times. Not his best effort.

plenewken
12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Agreed. He was indecisive, and paid for it with being tackled behind the line of scrimmage too many times. Not his best effort.

I wish we had someone like Brandon Jacobs in the team.

tony hipchest
12-06-2010, 11:57 AM
isnt this the 2nd time keenan lewis has ran out of bounds on coverage and run back into the field of play? its definitely the 2nd inopportune ST penalty he's had called on him. does he have the brains of anthony smith???

B-Mac is looking indespensable because lewis cant beat him out of the position. b-mac looks horrible unless the wr or rb is infront of him. for the 1st time i was yelling to get him out of the game. ed b. speculates the steelers will consider benching him. ( unfortunately a better alternative doesnt exist)

mendenhall should be embarrassed for alligator arming and pulling up on that swing pass where suggs was bearing down on him.

e. sanders compared with randel el makes it difficult to tell who is the veteran and who is the rookie.

james harrison is possibly the most gentelmanly player on the field on any given play. except for troy.

troy polamalu is possibly the most talented and valuable player on the field for any given play. except for james.

oher was abused. dixon was abused. anyone who gets between james and the ball will be abused.

suisham can punt the ball inside the 10 yard line ank keep it from rolling into the endzone. this was supposed to be a sepulveda specialty.

sepulveda ripping up his knee (again) is why teams dont want kickers making tackles.

didnt woodley or someone get flagged for lightly brushing the back of drew brees helmet with their hand, swiping for the ball?

lionslicer
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I wish we had someone like Brandon Jacobs in the team.

I wish we had an offensive line so he doesn't have to be the terrible re-incarnation of Barry Sanders.

jjpro11
12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
i thought Woodley had a great game.. he was always pestering Flacco in the backfield and made a few nice plays.

that definitely was not a good game from Mendenhall. he started the game running tough and generated some yards all by himself, but as the game went on he started dancing more and more and seemed to shy away from contact.