PDA

View Full Version : willie parker perspective

tony hipchest
04-04-2006, 01:58 AM
so far, id take him over kevin jones, steven davis (duh, i meant steven jackson), or julius jones.

oh wait. the steelers already did. remember 2 years ago when the debate was whether the steelers should draft jones or steven to replace bettis? instead they picked up w. parker as an undrafted f.a.

the steelers essentially traded one of these backs for big ben, bettis, and 1200 yd free agent back, willie parker.

willie did just as well as the top 3 backs chosen in last years draft too.

in his 1st year starting willie has outpreformed any season from the top 6 rb's in the last 2 drafts; this while sharing time and td's with a legend.

reggie bush and lendale white definitely look good but lets not lose sight of what weve got. especially for the absolute minimum ($230,000) per year. willie has already earned any payraise he will be getting. (and will still be underpaid compared to some of these other's contracts)

how far would k. jones and t. maddox gotten us to this point?

MattsMe
04-04-2006, 02:07 AM
These are all excellent points. And I think that Willie will only get better now that he has a full year of starting under his belt. If he develops some patience, look out. Hopefully he won't let everything go to his head, and will keep in mind that the Steelers are the reason he's in the NFL. I'd like to see him stay in Pittsburgh for a long time.

OX1947
04-04-2006, 03:07 AM
him and Lendale white would be the perfect compliments to each other. It would also prolong their careers....

ExtonSteelFan
04-04-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm a little skeptical of Willie. He has excellent speed and sure he can break a long one, but I just hope that he can stay consistent this year. I would also think he's going to pack on a few pounds during the off-season because that's one of my concerns, he's not a power back who can pound the ball like bettis could. I have confidence in him though!

btw, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums for a while now

Avoid Lloyd
04-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm a little skeptical of Willie. He has excellent speed and sure he can break a long one, but I just hope that he can stay consistent this year. I would also think he's going to pack on a few pounds during the off-season because that's one of my concerns, he's not a power back who can pound the ball like bettis could. I have confidence in him though!

btw, this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums for a while now

Welcome to the boards!

However, I've gotta disagree with your post:cool:

If Willie packs on some weight he's going to lose his amazing speed, which is his #1 attribute. He doesn't need to be a power back, we can always get another of those. Finding a RB with Willie Parker speed is rare.

ExtonSteelFan
04-04-2006, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the boards!

However, I've gotta disagree with your post:cool:

If Willie packs on some weight he's going to lose his amazing speed, which is his #1 attribute. He doesn't need to be a power back, we can always get another of those. Finding a RB with Willie Parker speed is rare.

Thanks for the welcome!

You have a point there, but I guess my main problem is that I dont want to see 50% of his rushing yardage come by way of one 70 yd break, ya know? Like MattsMe said above, if he develops some patience he will be pretty dangerous. When he breaks out, not many people can catch him...he just keeps pulling away. I have confidence in him and I hope he goes out there this year and settles all my fears!

clevestinks
04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
The Steelers were just as surprised at Willie parkers success, as we all were. I dont think they ever thought he would be the starter. I think Jones, Davis, or Jones may have been a huge improvement over Staley, so far anyway

Haiku_Dirtt
04-04-2006, 01:53 PM
The Steelers were just as surprised at Willie parkers success, as we all were. I dont think they ever thought he would be the starter. I think Jones, Davis, or Jones may have been a huge improvement over Staley, so far anyway

The point Tony makes I agree with 100%. The price is incredibly low. The potential is there yet still hard for me to put a finger on. Can he go 16 games AND be there in the post-season? All the talk about bringing in new back (i.e White) isn't a knock on Parker. When it comes to putting quality tailbacks in the stable GREED is GOOD!

Were you really surprised that a non-starter from a mediocre North Carolina college football program now has the longest rush from the line of scrimmage in the Super Bowl...as a Steeler?????? :sofunny:

Midnightwriter1
04-04-2006, 02:13 PM
If we got White at 32.. that would still be a steal IMO. Willie was a definate steal as far as how we got him and what he provided to us. We have had some success of guys over the years that have done well for us in the later rounds (or not drafted)

clevestinks
04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
The point Tony makes I agree with 100%. The price is incredibly low. The potential is there yet still hard for me to put a finger on. Can he go 16 games AND be there in the post-season? All the talk about bringing in new back (i.e White) isn't a knock on Parker. When it comes to putting quality tailbacks in the stable GREED is GOOD!

Were you really surprised that a non-starter from a mediocre North Carolina college football program now has the longest rush from the line of scrimmage in the Super Bowl...as a Steeler?????? :sofunny:
Thats what I said," The Steelers were just as surprised as us"

WWIIOwheelz
04-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Jerome Bettis brought out the absolute best in Willie Parker. I wonder if he CAN be the same type of threat when he has nobody to talk to for direction/encouragement. Bettis really held his hand last season.

He's earned a raise, no doubt about that, but he's lacking professional maturity at this point, IMHO.

BB2W
04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Good points Tony...

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Willie is a great back, but hes gonna need some help, his success was largely due because Bettis would come in on short yardage. Willie is not going to pick up 3rd and 3 like bettis did.......We need to pick up a back that will complement willie in the backfield. Staley is not going to stay healthy (although i wish he would, 2yrs ago he had over 700yards in the first 5-6 games?) anyway, Lendale White would be a huge pick for the Steelers but i dont know what we would have to give up for him.

Are there any BIG backs comming out of college next year???

SteelShooter
04-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Jerome Bettis brought out the absolute best in Willie Parker. I wonder if he CAN be the same type of threat when he has nobody to talk to for direction/encouragement. Bettis really held his hand last season.

He's earned a raise, no doubt about that, but he's lacking professional maturity at this point, IMHO.

:jammin:
I couldn't agree more. Even though Duce will be stepping into the Mentor role, as well as Verron Haynes, I do not think they have the caring, nurturing attitude that Jerome had.

And I agree with the other post in that I do not think Duce will make it the entire season without injury and missing games. That will hurt us...even though Verron will definitely be stepping up for 3rd downs, it still isn't the same as the Red Zone Mudder that we had in Jerome.

I sure am gonna miss him. :crying01:

tony hipchest
04-16-2006, 01:37 PM
someone on steelers.com did their homework and had a good response to this knock on w. parker:

And in contrast, a big back could have broken a lot of the runs that Parker got stuffed on.

"Here's my issue with Parker. How can a team have somebody who has to be sidelined in the second half when the team has a lead because he can't move the ball consistently enough to grind out the clock, as their feature back ?

Yet another misconception about Parker. The Steelers had 11 games last year (including playoffs) when they had second half leads and needed to grind out the clock. Here are those games:

vs Tenn - Parker's last carry came at 4:18 left in the 3rd with the score 27-7. Haynes took over to 'grind the game out.'

vs. Hou - Parker's last carry came at 4:22 left in the 4th with the score 27-7. Again Haynes took over to grind it out.

vs Cin - Parker's last carry came at 9:38 left in the 4th with the score 27-6. Again it was Haynes in mop up duty.

vs Chi - Parker's last carry came at 7:44 left in the 3rd with the score 14-3 (21-3 4 plays later). Bettis came in to grind it out.

vs Min - Parker left with 8:31 left in the game. Score = 18-3. Again it was Haynes to mop up.

vs Cle - Parker left with 9:13 left in the game with the score 27-0 (after his 80 yard run). Haynes/Bettis mopped up.

vs Det - Parker left with 4:13 left in the game with the Steelers up 35-21. Haynes came into wrap it up

Playoffs:

vs Cin - Parker left with 7:37 left in the 4th with the Steelers up by 14. Bettis and Haynes wrapped it up.

vs Den - Parker left at 6:51 left in the 3rd up 24-3. Bettis grinded it out.

vs Indy - Parker left with 7:14 in 4th up 21-10. Bettis came in up 21-18 (we all know what happened).

vs Sea - Parker left with 10:46 left up 21-10. Bettis grinded out the SB win!

For the most part, Parker wasn't yanked in these games because ''Cowher didn't trust him with a lead.'' He was yanked because the leads were so huge that it didn't matter who was in there. There were only 2 games where the outcome was even remotely in doubt: vs Indy and vs Sea. And Parker played into the 4th quarter in both of those games before being pulled for Bettis with the Steelers up by 11. That's just good roster management and not necessarily a knock on Parker. Of course, that strategy almost cost us the Indy game.

IMO, the whole ''we need a big back to grind out leads'' is completely overblown. In the past, the Steelers needed a grinder to protect mediocre to bad QBs. That's not the case anymore."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i still think we need a big grind it out back but not because of limitations on parker. it is what the steelers do. notice how fresh "old man" bettis was at the end of the season? willie and haynes too. people like ben, hines, heath, willie and jerome will always have smaller numbers than some of the elite fantasy players but that is more because of the philosophy and system, than the lack of capabilities and talent of the aformentionned players.

MichiSteeler
04-16-2006, 03:28 PM
I'd take Steven Jackson over Willie Parker. Hes a great, young talented all around back :bouncy:

Midnightwriter1
04-16-2006, 05:02 PM
There are alot of running backs in the league that may be better than Willie overall, it is what it is. But Willie is on our team so i dont even think about somoene else from a different team being better. Alot of a running backs success ( maybe two i can think of that it didnt matter in Payton and sanders) but Willie will definately benifit from our O Line as any running back would and that is the most important part of our team. We should be making sure that our O line will be intact for years to come because for ben or our running backs to have sucees, that is where it always starts.

clevestinks
04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
If Staley stays healthy, Willie will be more productive than last season

SteelShooter
04-17-2006, 02:13 AM
There are alot of running backs in the league that may be better than Willie overall, it is what it is. But Willie is on our team so i dont even think about somoene else from a different team being better. Alot of a running backs success ( maybe two i can think of that it didnt matter in Payton and sanders) but Willie will definately benifit from our O Line as any running back would and that is the most important part of our team. We should be making sure that our O line will be intact for years to come because for ben or our running backs to have sucees, that is where it always starts.

The only passages I have ever read that are more true....were true Gospel.

You nailed that one! :cheers:

Busforever
04-17-2006, 03:38 AM
For the most part, Parker wasn't yanked in these games because ''Cowher didn't trust him with a lead.'' He was yanked because the leads were so huge that it didn't matter who was in there. There were only 2 games where the outcome was even remotely in doubt: vs Indy and vs Sea. And Parker played into the 4th quarter in both of those games before being pulled for Bettis with the Steelers up by 11. That's just good roster management and not necessarily a knock on Parker.

I totally agree with that. Tomlinson would be sidelined in the same case just to prevent injuries. If we have depth at RB like we had last year, we have to use it.

Rotorhead
04-17-2006, 09:04 AM
I don't think that if Willie were to pick up about 15lbs he would lose his speed. As long as he does it smartly and puts on muscle. I think Parker can actually grind it out, as long as he is more patient this year. If Bettis got hit at the LOS he wasnt going forward. He was able to gain short yardage because he was patient (now once he got going he would crush poor secondary in his path) and that patience to let the hole develop was the reason he was able to pick up most of the yardage he got. Once Willie gets into that type of groove, he will be scary. Once he gets into the backfield he is a homerun just waiting to happen. The nice thing for him is that we have Ben who can stop people from stacking the LOS with his game management skills and that will help Willie out tremendously. I think a tall receiver to compliment Ward possesions skills will be the most beneficial thing our running game can get this year.

Stlrs4Life
04-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Even though I am a huge fan of Willie Parker, I thin the jury is still out there. Lets see what he does this season.

Midnightwriter1
04-17-2006, 12:08 PM
I think Willie be will just fine, All of our line is back, no serious injurys.. we have a couple decent reserves in Okobi, Essex, Kemo .. all of our younger players notched up another year of experience including Willie... I can see Willie and Duce running for 1000 this year with Ben tipping the 4000 yard scale.

I say this because i am ( hoping ) our defense wil be better in another year under ****ie L. Our secondary is fairly young and i am expecting that Taylor, McFadden, Colclough, Troy, will be a lil better in pass coverage with one more year under their belt and we make some of those 3rd down stops on passing plays in which we were close to dead last in league on. We should have the ball more offensively and so everyones numbers should be a little better.

SteelShooter
04-18-2006, 01:33 AM
I think Willie be will just fine, All of our line is back, no serious injurys.. we have a couple decent reserves in Okobi, Essex, Kemo .. all of our younger players notched up another year of experience including Willie... I can see Willie and Duce running for 1000 this year with Ben tipping the 4000 yard scale.

I say this because i am ( hoping ) our defense wil be better in another year under ****ie L. Our secondary is fairly young and i am expecting that Taylor, McFadden, Colclough, Troy, will be a lil better in pass coverage with one more year under their belt and we make some of those 3rd down stops on passing plays in which we were close to dead last in league on. We should have the ball more offensively and so everyones numbers should be a little better.

I couldn't of said it better! Tweak the secondary. That was my fear all of last year...work the oppositions offense down to 3rd....then a short pass and we'd have to do it all over again 'cuz they made the 1st down. We MUST improve that part of our game!

SteelShooter
04-23-2006, 02:16 AM
I totally agree with that. Tomlinson would be sidelined in the same case just to prevent injuries. If we have depth at RB like we had last year, we have to use it.

True Dat! I remember watching the old Houston Oilers run old Earl Campbell into the ground. If you want someone to last a while, you hafta rest them...you cannot run Daytona without oil!

ARKIESTEEL
04-24-2006, 06:43 AM

Your right, If Willie ever figures out which hole is supposed to hit he could be one of the best next season. Would have be neat to hire The Bus as a rb coach!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-24-2006, 01:02 PM

The Steelers dont really on a 1 back attack anymore like they used to with Barry Foster.. He was an exception on the field in his prime. willie will continue to be the starter, he's earned that right to be penciled in as such but when it comes to 3rd and 1 or 4th and goal, u better believe Duce or whoever we get in the draft will be getting the call. Our running game has evolved into a 2 back attack, and while we may not have the NFL's leading rusher on our team any more, or even come close to it, we'll still be as effective as ever. Willie does run hard and tough for his size but we'll never be without some type of power back to compliment him. :cool:

clevestinks
04-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Your right, If Willie ever figures out which hole is supposed to hit he could be one of the best next season. Would have be neat to hire The Bus as a rb coach!
Sometimes I think Willie is there before the hole develops, these linemen are usually waiting for a Bettis to hit the hole, Willie sometimes out runs his blocks, not always a bad problem to Have

ARKIESTEEL
04-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Sometimes I think Willie is there before the hole develops, these linemen are usually waiting for a Bettis to hit the hole, Willie sometimes out runs his blocks, not always a bad problem to Have

Didnt think about it that way but you sure could be right.

clevestinks
04-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Didnt think about it that way but you sure could be right.
? Hell I dont know if I`m right either, but we need a fourth back anyway, whether or not Willie is ready to take the full load, I say he is ready, he might be smaller, but damn if he doesnt play bigger, he looks strong as hell

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 07:01 PM
maroney and d. williams will probably be 1st round picks. id rather have parker. both of those rb's drafted this year will prob get $2-5 million signing bonuses. parker will have been paid $690,000 for his 3 years of service.

Livinginthe past
04-26-2006, 02:50 AM
maroney and d. williams will probably be 1st round picks. id rather have parker. both of those rb's drafted this year will prob get $2-5 million signing bonuses. parker will have been paid $690,000 for his 3 years of service.

Its already an excellent piece of business and scouting by the Steelers team, by the end of this year it could be phenomonal.

As long as parker remembers who picked him up UDFA when it comes to contract time everyone should be happy.

NM

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2006, 02:59 AM
Its already an excellent piece of business and scouting by the Steelers team, by the end of this year it could be phenomonal.

As long as parker remembers who picked him up UDFA when it comes to contract time everyone should be happy.

NM
the question is....what is the price$ of loyalty???

Livinginthe past
04-26-2006, 03:14 AM
the question is....what is the price$ of loyalty???

Hold on...I know this one.....

Is it $2500?

NM

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2006, 03:19 AM
Hold on...I know this one.....

Is it $2500?

NM
maybe in nfl europe....

Haiku_Dirtt
04-26-2006, 04:12 AM

The money factor with Willie is why he is getting so much love - and the record long rush from scrimmage in a Super Bowl. And for good damn reason. How and why he and his college coach got into such a big pissing contest is nealry irrelevant now - or is it?

This is what I think. Wonderlic is a non-issue with this player acquisition. But some of the chatter from the Super Bowl (input on this is welcome) is that Parker could have nailed that record TD earlier in the game.

So if Duce goes down again and Willie's struggle in the playoffs (check the totals) becomes chronic going into the next season would anyone disgree that the glaring hole is at RB. That likelyhood is not farfetched.

I think we spend whatever it takes to get LenDale in the first round. Now. How we get that done is why they (Omar Kevin & Bill) make more money than me.

coachspeak33
04-26-2006, 08:11 AM
I keep going back and forth about Lendale White... My first few thoughts are:
- We currently have a starter who ran for 1200 yds in his first real season
- This same starter gives us a legit gamebreaker who can put 6 on the board anytime
- He has a ton of tread on the tires... lets just say his legs were real fresh coming out of NC
- I got the SI DVD and there are certain shots of Duce were he looks HUGE... so filling the "closer" role appears to be something he should be able to do
- Maybe most importantly Willie might be the cheapest starting tailback in the NFL

So after thinking this I dont really get excited about drafting a RB

Then I think to myself
- White put on a dominating performance at the Rose Bowl, against a good Texas D
- What if his actions at the combine (not running, his weight, ect) was all created by the hamstring injury
- What if a top 15-20 talent drops to us a #32 do to a minor injury and thus a poor showing at the combine.... Wait a minute that probably happened (to a lesser extent) with Heath last year

So maybe you take a chance

coachspeak33
04-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Also... Verrron Haynes is a above average 3rd down back and 3rd string RB.... he is our Nick Goings... in other words you dont want him starting in the playoffs but he is more than capable to give you quality carries during the regular season when your in a short term pinch due to minor injuries... Verron did that last year and did it fairly well ... he closed out a couple games for us last year very nicely.

coachspeak33
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Lendale will be gone by 32 more than likely anyways.....

coachspeak33
04-26-2006, 08:43 AM
sorry computer malfunction

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 05:21 PM
i keep thinking what if willie parker is priest holmes? both f.a. and what if l. white is larry johnson? a player we passed on to take t. polamalu.

not a bad situation to be in. k.c. has a great running back situation without the depth of duce or haynes.

anyone who tries to stop this possible running attack will surely die by the sword of a healed, more accurate, and mature ben throwing to 2 potential pro bowlers in hines and heath.

willie and white seem to go together like "peas and carrots"

BigDude66687
04-26-2006, 06:09 PM
i concur if white is on the board at 32, you have to draft him he's going to have a long career in the NFL, also by aquiring White that would enable us to trade Staley to move up in the 2nd or 3rd rounds if we needed ot do that.

It not like we have a pressing need anywhere on the team

tony hipchest
04-26-2006, 06:16 PM
duce will not be traded. the steelers WILL have 4 rb's on their roster, at least. while w. parker has the best rb coach in the nfl (d. hoak has coached 2 hof running backs) he still needs the tutorship from a veteran whos vision of the field isnt 40 years old. (that about how long since hoak played for the steelers).