PDA

View Full Version : Suishams attitude .

Steel-Bryan
12-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I think his attitude has a big part of why hes kicking so well compared to reed. He was jobless, and now hes part of a team, and hes kicking because he knows what it feels like to be jobless and not take anything for granted. Unlike reed, who looked as if he didnt give a crap about anything. anyone agree ?:noidea:

madtowndrunkard
12-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Who's Reed?

finesward
12-06-2010, 12:26 AM
I think he did a great job considering what he was asked to do. Besides his questionable white skin colored blazers i think he is a great pick up. No wonder it only took a few kicks to pick this guy up over reed. He has the confidence and backing of his team now. Don't overlook the importance of the 45 yarder he kicked tonight. That was huge... speedy recovery seppy..we need u in the playoffs

steelers2685
12-06-2010, 12:27 AM
He stated during one interview that he is a student of the game and prepares as hard and as much as he possibly can. I like his attitude as well and really like what he is contributing to our team.

OX1947
12-06-2010, 12:37 AM
MAn, if not for the slap dick calls by those ahole refs, Suisham's punts would have actually overrid his amazing FG kicks. Man, that guy has been nails in more ways then anyone could have thought.

GMU Steeler
12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
What I was most impressed was how he filled in at punter for Danny. Thought it could have been a disaster on par with that one game against the Giants a couple years ago when Greg Warren got hurt and James Harrison had to fill in as emergency long snapper. I am somewhat familiar with Sushi since he used to paly for the Skins and he was hated here after he missed a routine fg kick against the eventual SB champ Saints. I think he could be a keeper here for us. I like hearing he has a good attitude and I also like seeing that he can make good kickoffs and seems to have that clutch feeling that Reed seemed to have lost in recent years.

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
reed who?

SmashmouthFootball
12-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Kickers can go from hero to zero and vice versca in this league in the matter of a few weeks. Their job is so much more mental than it is physical that you see things like this happen. It's good that the young man seems to have confidence in his abilities now, that's the best thing a kicker can have. Glad we have him. Keep it up, Swishy.

tanda10506
12-06-2010, 01:06 AM
so thankful for Suisham

Merchant
12-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Great midseason move by Tomlin/the FO.. Sushi has been CLUTCH

AndyWitmyer
12-06-2010, 01:13 AM
His attitude was the first thing I took notice of - 1st impressions are important. I'm sure the front office took notice of it, too and, while his kicking may have impressed them as well, his attitude probably had a lot to do with why they ultimately decided to give the kid a chance.

And I totally. Towards the end, Reed was taking his position for granted. And there seemed to be a direct correlation between the amount of money Reed thought he deserved vs his actual level of play. I firmly believe that his decline was not so much a result of his age or physical decay, but rather his mind. Fueled by narcissism, I think his drive for money got the best of him. After spending the off-season complaining about his contract and (unbelievably) a Steelers organization that had gone out of its way to keep him (as a franchise kicker no less). Driven by this sense of entitlement and blinded by ego, I think Reed must have truly believed he was the best the Steelers could ever hope for and that his job was as secure as Tom Brady's.

It's funny sometimes how quickly things can change. Jeff's delusions of grandeur were badly exposed and his cringe-worthy excuses were the final blow. By comparison, Suisham is such a breath of fresh air. His accuracy has been exceptional (so far), but beyond that, it's nice to see a kicker who values his job. He's confident without being egotistical. And he just seems like an all around nice guy.

steeltheone
12-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Get that attitude to kick the damn ball in the endzone!

OX1947
12-06-2010, 02:12 AM

He did, then the refs said, hey, you cant kick it to the endzone, penalty.

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 02:25 AM

i won't nitpick on his kickoffs too much, did you see jeff reed earlier today? announcers were like 'oh god' when he kicked off. i think he might have kicked off past the 20 yard line like once the entire game. He was a big reason why green bay constantly had good field position, one kickoff, the returner returned it on his own 35 yard line, and returned it to midfield making not much of a return. Might as well kick the freakin ball out of bounds so the worst you guy is the opp. 40. Reed is SHIT and I'm glad he's gone.

Sleeper/54
12-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Way to go Shaun on another job well done :applaudit:

Busforever
12-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Suisham is a happy man, we can tell it for sure . We can see it in his face. He is smiling, he enjoys to be there. Good to see.

TRH
12-12-2010, 07:24 PM

He certainly isn't doing any worse than Reed in that compartment. The thing that bothered me most about Reed wasn't the missed FG's, the bad attitude, the poor tackling, or the pathetic on-side kick attempts......it was his consistent short kick-offs.
I've taken note on Suisham and his aren't any worse....in fact, they've been a tad better.
I'll take it.

jizzballz
12-12-2010, 07:40 PM
reed missed the tackle on the seahawks kick-off return touchdown... ***** he doesn't deserve to be in the NFL

mesaSteeler
12-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Reed was/is a nutjob.

Suisham's performance also makes me wonder how often Reed was the source of the "It's so hard to kick in Hines field" stories that we kept being bombarded with.

rich4eagle
12-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I think his attitude has a big part of why hes kicking so well compared to reed. He was jobless, and now hes part of a team, and hes kicking because he knows what it feels like to be jobless and not take anything for granted. Unlike reed, who looked as if he didnt give a crap about anything. anyone agree ?:noidea:

Agreed for two years............I called for Reed to be cut last year:tt04::tt02::tt04:

nice to see him gone

lionslicer
12-12-2010, 10:48 PM
He knows what its like to be jobless every offseason... Only had one offseason he wasn't fired or traded. I also just realized he origionally lost the job to reed in 2005 and now took Reeds job :P

In the past he's started off hot like he has this year, pretty much being perfect, but late in the year missing game winning field goals and in the playoffs being pretty much useless. I just hope he doesn't go back to that.

PS: for anyone who cares, Reed was 4/4 today with a long of 44 yards

AndyWitmyer
12-13-2010, 01:00 AM
I really really liked Suisham's post-game interview today with the Pittsburgh press. He's got a certain charisma about him that is hard to explain, in that he exudes confidence without sounding the least bit c.ocky or arrogant. Being both humble AND confident is not easy to pull off in the NFL. I don't want to jinx it somehow, but I'm definitely a Suisham believer!

I also love how much he seems to love being specifically on the Steelers - like it's a dream come true for him and he can hardly believe how lucky and fortunate he is.

Suisham is basically the anti-Reed. The ying to Reed's Yang. I'm loving it.

steelersalaska
12-13-2010, 03:22 AM
The way I see it, he has three games to get his first miss out of the way and get over it. When we play New England all he has to do is kick extra points. (fingers crossed) We'll need him to be perfect again in the Superbowl. Then, and only then will I have faith in him.

steeltheone
12-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Once again ....kick the ball in the endzone consistantly...The first kickoff hit the 11 the bengals started at the 31...

Sleeper/54
01-15-2011, 03:19 PM
The biggest game of the year could be decided by the right toe of a average Junior C hockey player .... GO STEELERS !!!! .... http://www.ohahockey.org/page/show/15330 (http://www.ohahockey.org/page/show/15330)

Sleeper/54
01-15-2011, 04:58 PM
..... and the dude can tackle !!!!

Sleeper/54
01-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Way to go Shaun .... it's been a long and adventurous journey but you are now Super Bowl bound .... congrats from all of us back home .... enjoy the ride !!!!

SteelSurf
01-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Way to go Shaun .... it's been a long and adventurous journey but you are now Super Bowl bound .... congrats from all of us back home .... enjoy the ride !!!!

Funny, because my wife and I have talked about him quite a bit. The story of Suisham is a large story hidden within the massive story of the Steelers road to the Super Bowl this year. He was a castoff from many teams. Not given a shot. The story of Suisham may be the ultimate story of revenge against all of the teams who let him go. I'm one of those guys who believes Success is the best revenge.The fact that Suisham is going to the Super Bowl with his team,is the penultimate measure of success.

Welcome to the pantheon of success within the NFL,the Super Bowl. More importantly, Welcome to the Steeler Nation. You have arrived. :hatsoff:

tube517
01-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Plus he doesn't go around punching towel dispensers

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Who's Reed?

I believe hes the kicker for the 49ers. :noidea:

Sleeper/54
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
.... a Canadian kid who grew up playing ice hockey and soccer .... that started playing football in high-school and after scoring a 62 yard field goal to win the Kent County Championship got the chance to go to Bowling Green .... during his time a BG he set school records for a kicker which got him a tryout by the Steelers .... and now after getting released by more teams than not he has a chance to live what only a few can claim ..... playing in the Super Bowl .... he started out life as a Burger and now has the chance to win the ultimate football prize as a Burger .... whatever happens .... to all of us Wallaceburgers .... Shaun is, and always will be, a Champion !!!!

UF-Steeler
01-24-2011, 03:28 PM
When he made that tackle on the kick return in the divisional playoff game versus the Ravens I started to really like him. Jeff would've ran away.

Sleeper/54
01-24-2011, 03:41 PM
That tackle was the best tackle by a kicker that I can remember. Shaun doesn't just kick the ball but he then gets really involved in the coverage. I think he must of getting tackle tips from Troy. Back in his Junior C Laker days he thought he was a fighter but developed a bad habit of breaking his hand but his cannon of a leg has taken him along way !!!!

SteelKnight
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
You know what's funny with Suisham? Every time he kicks I say to myself he is going to miss then when it goes in I say "whew" and forget it. When he finally missed I said "I knew it". lol

Sleeper/54
09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Way to go Shaun for still kicking in there :applaudit:

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Way to go Shaun for still kicking in there :applaudit:

I see your from his hometown.

I've never liked him in the clutch, and i'm sure you know my reasons. His kick in the Super Bowl for us was awful.

But he has had a great year thus far, and i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully he'll stay consistent.

GoFor7
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I've never liked him in the clutch, and i'm sure you know my reasons. His kick in the Super Bowl for us was awful.

In all fairness, that was more on Tomlin than Suisham. Should have punted and tried to pin Green Bay deep in their own territory.

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 05:34 PM
In all fairness, that was more on Tomlin than Suisham. Should have punted and tried to pin Green Bay deep in their own territory.

A 52 yarder shouldn't have been an issue. He'd made a 51 before.

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
A 52 yarder shouldn't have been an issue. He'd made a 51 before.

true, but Suisham is only 4 for 11 with a 36.4% career percentage from over 50 yards.

the odds were in favor of punting and pinning the Packers in deep.

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
true, but Suisham is only 4 for 11 with a 36.4% career percentage from over 50 yards.

the odds were in favor of punting and pinning the Packers in deep.

Down by four, and our pass-defense wasn't looking good against the Rodgers offense at that point. I think he should have at least got the kick somewhere in the same zip-code as the goal posts. :sofunny:

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 05:52 PM
But hey, granted this thread is two years old, it isn't about his clutch-kicking as much as it is his attitude. I AM impressed with his attitude, and always have been. I just hope his kicking gives me a reason to put some confidence in him as a clutch-kicker.

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Down by four, and our pass-defense wasn't looking good against the Rodgers offense at that point. I think he should have at least got the kick somewhere in the same zip-code as the goal posts. :sofunny:

that was one of the worst kicks I have ever seen from an NFL kicker...

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 06:04 PM
that was one of the worst kicks I have ever seen from an NFL kicker...

vztrvkvPFHU

He's had his fair share...

lipps83
09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I think that Justin Tucker is going to be a good kicker for the Ravens for years. Why can't we ever seem to find a solid kicker to keep around for a while. Last we had was Gary Anderson.

Sleeper/54
10-11-2012, 01:42 PM
.... from Wallaceburg News,

Pittsburgh Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week for kicking the game-winning 34-yard field goal to beat the Eagles as time expired on Oct. 7.

Suisham, a native of Wallaceburg, was named the NFC special teams player of the week in 2007 when he was a member of the Washington Redskins.

Suisham was 3-for-3 (20, 34, 34) on field goals in the 16-14 victory over the Eagles. His final field goal was the fifth game-winner of his eight-year NFL career.

Suisham has been perfect so far this season, making all eight of his field goals this season.

.... GO BURGER !!!!

BowCatShot
10-11-2012, 04:30 PM
"Besides his questionable white skin colored blazers"

What does that mean?

Steelersfan87
10-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Suisham is the most accurate kicker in Steelers history after going 3 for 3 in the last game. He's also made his last 13 straight field goals including the postseason.

AndyWitmyer
10-11-2012, 08:22 PM

:tt03:

Amen. He has been very much underrated this season. I love his attitude - he's got a great sense of work ethic and humbleness about him, and an idea of his importance when it comes to his his place the team - which are traits that Reed was lacking in. Suisham is also very comfortable with this team - his accuracy is a reflection of this. He's been perfect this season - and did his part in slapping a W on last weeks game.

AndyWitmyer
10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
His attitude was the first thing I took notice of - 1st impressions are important. I'm sure the front office took notice of it, too and, while his kicking may have impressed them as well, his attitude probably had a lot to do with why they ultimately decided to give the kid a chance.

And I totally. Towards the end, Reed was taking his position for granted. And there seemed to be a direct correlation between the amount of money Reed thought he deserved vs his actual level of play. I firmly believe that his decline was not so much a result of his age or physical decay, but rather his mind. Fueled by narcissism, I think his drive for money got the best of him. After spending the off-season complaining about his contract and (unbelievably) a Steelers organization that had gone out of its way to keep him (as a franchise kicker no less). Driven by this sense of entitlement and blinded by ego, I think Reed must have truly believed he was the best the Steelers could ever hope for and that his job was as secure as Tom Brady's.

It's funny sometimes how quickly things can change. Jeff's delusions of grandeur were badly exposed and his cringe-worthy excuses were the final blow. By comparison, Suisham is such a breath of fresh air. His accuracy has been exceptional (so far), but beyond that, it's nice to see a kicker who values his job. He's confident without being egotistical. And he just seems like an all around nice guy.

Oh wow - I just realized how old this thread was - and I hell, I already POSTED in it on 12-06-2010, 01:13 AM - May as well quote myself and see how it fits in with my present opinion of him. :toofunny:

AndyWitmyer
10-12-2012, 12:04 AM
In regards to this loss against the Titans.......I kind of feel bad that they had to rely on Suisham to win after the offense already relied on him so much and from so far this game (and season) already. He'd already just kicked a 52 yarder - yet they ask him to go ahead with a 54 yarder - which I think was essentially a less than 50-50 proposition. If they wanted to play the game risky like that in closing moment, they should have either just gone for it on 4th down or punted it. Why the coaches put any faith on our defense, on the road, and - let's just assume that Suisham was "due" or perhaps even fated to miss this one after making so many - had the D come through, chances are, it would have only amounted to an OT game even if they HAD managed to hold the Titans back...is beyond me.

Very poor play calling in the end. We're letting teams hang on for way WAY too long. The difference between a W or an L shouldn't come down to a field goal nearly every single game, and yet, as we begin to enter mid-season, that seems to have become the Steelers MO.

Sleeper/54
10-21-2012, 10:22 PM
.... keep it going Shaun .... breath breath :)

Sleeper/54
12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
.... keep it up Shaun .... even these critics are starting to come around :)

GMU Steeler
12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice kick to win today Sushi. Have to admit being quasi superstitious I was nervous when Nance mentioned his streak but it goes on for another day and at the right time.

austinfrench76
12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Guys a stud! I admit, I wanted them to find his replacement in the off season but man has he been good this year! Go Steelers!

Curtain_of_Steel
12-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Night and day from last year. Last you I would hold my breath every time he adresses the ball.

My son changed from Soccer this year after making the varsty team as a freshman, he said, I really don't want to be a soccer player anymore sorry for you blowing 15,000 over the years, haha. Dad I spoke to the football coach, I want to be the kicker there, I can be a 4 year varsity player. No clue about kicking a ball, his long this year is 52 yards. Not to shabby. Definately a new respect for kickers who put the time in to dedicate to the position.
My feeling is of course he thinks he can get more girls, LOL

Obviously Suisham put in the time this off season. Way to go!!

SteelCurtain5643
12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Guys a stud! I admit, I wanted them to find his replacement in the off season but man has he been good this year! Go Steelers!

You and I both, but after today, I really dont hate the guy anymore.

GoFor7
12-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Hey diddle diddle.......

Shaun Suisham right down the middle! :thumbsup:

Lady Steel
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
My feeling is of course he thinks he can get more girls, LOL

Obviously Suisham put in the time this off season. Way to go!!

Your son may be on to something about getting the girls. The Black 'N Gold girls call Suisham "Sweet Cheeks." Just sayin'. :laughing:

AndyWitmyer
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Absolutely. He's a genuinely nice guy and it shows. Very humble and thankful for his chance to play for the greatest team in the NFL (...contrast that with Wallace...)

AndyWitmyer
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Some Facts About Shaun Suisham (Pre-NFL)

For those who might be interested in learning more about "Sweet Cheeks"...here's a look into his early, pre-NFL days of football.

As His High School's MVP Kicker:

Suisham graduated from Wallaceburg District Secondary School as that school's 1999 conference offensive MVP

In 1998, Suisham kicked two field goals (from 58 and 27 yards) and helped Wallaceburg win the league championship for the first time since 1968.

As His College's All Time Leading Score:

As their starting kicker, Suisham remains the Bowling Green Falcons all-time leading scorer of with 361 points.

He broke records with 45 career field goals and 31 touchbacks.

Suisham would become 2003's Bowling Green's special teams MVP and 2004's Second-Team All-MAC

And Possibly Worth Noting:

Suisham graduated from Bowling Green in 2005 with a degree in exercise science (As an NFL kicker, that would seem like a useful degree to me!)

In spite of missing the entirety of his freshman season due to due a preseason injury, and after going undrafted, picked up and dumped by one team after another...as one can see...Shaun still managed to leave a big impression.

I, for one, feel lucky to have him.

:hatsoff:

Sleeper/54
12-02-2012, 11:00 PM
.... Sweet Cheeks has come a long way but the colors remain the same.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2506037746171&set=o.177742832252024&type=1&theater

Curtain_of_Steel
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Lady steel, no kidding.

this age is killing me, I need a policeman to watch is internet activities, LOL Its not helping.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I was in the "Suisham Sucks" camp last year, but that camp is now empty. The guy has been phenomenal, plain and simple.

I don't get all the hate on Reed, though! Whatever people want to say about his attitude, the guy routinely banged home clutch kicks up until his disastrous 2009 season. I always had the utmost confidence in him when he was lining up a big kick.

nj1923steelgirl
12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
so thankful for Suisham

Me too:helmet:

Hawaii 5-0
12-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Me too:helmet:

me three...:applaudit:

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/wp-content/themes/sportedge-parent/thumb.php?src=http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/steelersweb3s-1-web.jpg&h=380&w=620&zc=1&q=100

lardlad
12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Will Reed?

Sleeper/54
09-23-2014, 04:19 PM
After all the games Shaun is still getting the job done and is still the same ole kid from Canada with not maybe the strongest leg in the league .... but within his range it's down right deadly ;)

Lokki
09-23-2014, 04:33 PM
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206982&stc=1&d=1297718087

ebsteelers
09-24-2014, 03:59 PM
does squeeze him wear shoulder pads?

ebsteelers
09-24-2014, 04:01 PM
http://www.footblog.com/images/jeff_reed_krtphotoslive340928-SPORTS-FBN-SUPE.jpg

ebsteelers
09-24-2014, 04:01 PM
http://cdn.na16.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/jeff-reed-2.jpg