PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone worse than B-Mac?

Big
12-06-2010, 12:34 AM
He has to be the worse corner in the league!

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 12:35 AM
william gay

just sayin, lol.

but to gay's credit, he's a good nickel db. but as a #2 he was worse than mcfadden by far

OX1947
12-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Dwayne Washington and Alvoid Mays were worse.

tony hipchest
12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
keenan lewis? :noidea:

ZoneBlitzer
12-06-2010, 12:41 AM
There's Keenan Lewis and Gay. But not necessarily in that order. I trust that they consult with Lebeau when drafting these corners? They do, don't they?

OX1947
12-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Steelers need to go after Cromartie in the off season. They need a shut down corner BAD.

steelers2685
12-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Yes, William Gay.

Merchant
12-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Kinda sad but at this point I think he's the best option we've got. The coaches would've already put in Lewis if they felt he was an upgrade, and Crezdon Butler is too raw.

Pentheon
12-06-2010, 01:14 AM
I love all the steelers and rarely ever say much bad about any of the players but William Gay is the worst. His coverage is horrible, he cant hit and it always looks like hes scared to tackle.

tanda10506
12-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Steelers need to go after Cromartie in the off season. They need a shut down corner BAD.

Cromartie or somebody, damn. There are a lot of good corners. Ike Taylor is decent, Ryan Clark is a decent safety, and you know how we all feel about Troy. So if we could get one good corner to put on Boldin or Welker in big games that would tremendously help us. I don't want to start the "off season talk" but this team has the potential to make a few decisions and be unstoppable.

#1. One more good cornerback
#2. Two more good O linemen
#3. Get rid of Arians!!!

If we could do that it would be awesome. Anyway, not trying to start that conversation, but we need a good/great corner.

Kanata-Steeler
12-06-2010, 01:15 AM
worse?, yes, Bruce Ariens' play calling.

MoneyMikeWallace
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
There's Keenan Lewis and Gay. But not necessarily in that order. I trust that they consult with Lebeau when drafting these corners? They do, don't they?

I'm SURE they consult him, but Tomlin was the Bucs DB coach right? The corners that we draft are most likely his picks.

SH-Rock
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM

I hate signing free agents because its not a Steeler thing. The original Steelers were homegrown. Just my two cents.

MDSteel15
12-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Top CB available in 1st.... then nothing but the 2 lines and a free safety... got to be our picks!

ricardisimo
12-06-2010, 01:41 AM
One day someone will explain the hate for William Gay. He barely played and people are bagging on him.

It's because he's Gay, isn't it? Admit it: you people have a problem with the Gays. You're prejudiced against him just because he was born Gay... William Gay, that is.

MikeHaullace
12-06-2010, 01:45 AM
B-Mac is a good open-field tackler.

Pretty sure his hammy wasn't 100% tonight either.

For those that forget, Pittsburgh only allowed 10 points.

Now, I'm not defending him. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

OX1947
12-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Cromartie or somebody, damn. There are a lot of good corners. Ike Taylor is decent, Ryan Clark is a decent safety, and you know how we all feel about Troy. So if we could get one good corner to put on Boldin or Welker in big games that would tremendously help us. I don't want to start the "off season talk" but this team has the potential to make a few decisions and be unstoppable.

#1. One more good cornerback
#2. Two more good O linemen
#3. Get rid of Arians!!!

If we could do that it would be awesome. Anyway, not trying to start that conversation, but we need a good/great corner.

Amen to all 3.....

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I don't quite understand how you can hate on Arians' play calling at the moment...

OX1947
12-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I hate signing free agents because its not a Steeler thing. The original Steelers were homegrown. Just my two cents.

Hey man, the last free agent Jet we signed from free agency was some scrub at middle linebacker named James Farrior. Once in a while, its necessary.

Steel_Bus_24
12-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Wish Butler would have been worked in more throughout the season, now its pretty much too late

steeltheone
12-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Tomlin has not developed ond good Defensive back in his 4 years of coaching...

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 02:11 AM
One day someone will explain the hate for William Gay. He barely played and people are bagging on him.

It's because he's Gay, isn't it? Admit it: you people have a problem with the Gays. You're prejudiced against him just because he was born Gay... William Gay, that is.

gay is good as a nickel, i've been saying that all season and even most of last. just not a good #2. probably our best blitzing corner. he's money where he's currently at.

ZoneBlitzer
12-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Tomlin has not developed ond good Defensive back in his 4 years of coaching...

Yup. Tomlin himself is not up to the standard. It is what it is. And it stinks. He needs to remove himself from player personnel decision on the DB front and work with what is given to him because obviously he is failing in that regard.

Big
12-06-2010, 02:57 AM
Crezdon Butler can not be any worse than McBadden. It's time to give this guy a shot on Sunday's.

CaliStillersFan
12-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Pretty sad since Tomlin started as a DB coach, he must have forgotten his roots. Next years draft better be a solid CB and nothing but tackles and guards.

toughsticks87
12-06-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't quite understand how you can hate on Arians' play calling at the moment...

Blown redzone plays. Two runs up the middle with our awful O-Line. Settled for 3 instead 6. Seeing Rashard pick up 8 yards on the first down to see 5 wide the on 2nd and 2. Things like that. My roommates, who aren't Steelers fans, were amazed I was calling the plays out before they happened. They thought I was a genius. I'm not. I'm just smarter than Bruce Arians.

BGSU A Dub
12-06-2010, 04:31 AM
I was too busy in celebration after the play to notice but...

was McFadden covering Bolden on the last play? Not that one play makes up for all of his miscues but that would move him up a peg. I know that Bolden was jammed coming off the line and forced Flacco to look elsewhere.

MasterOfPuppets
12-06-2010, 05:43 AM
mcfadden, randel el , battle , and to a lesser degree foote and scott, were all terrible free agent moves.

eafratitpm3
12-06-2010, 06:47 AM
The guy at the end of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno

TRH
12-06-2010, 07:22 AM

agreed.

Off-season....we have to get SOMEBODY else (or somebodies)

mikegrimey
12-06-2010, 08:19 AM
I love all the steelers and rarely ever say much bad about any of the players but William Gay is the worst. His coverage is horrible, he cant hit and it always looks like hes scared to tackle.

^ This is just another case of the fans villifying a player with a blanket that they can't distinguish fact from fiction.

Yes Gay has had problems in coverage and was poor as a #2 corner last year, but by no means is he "scared to tackle". He is actually pretty good in the tackling department (even when considering the trucking Peterson gave him last year). I've seen people on here comment about how much he has been abused this year too but aside from the Patriots game he has been pretty solid.

Gay isn't a starting corner but he is by no means the worst at what he does.

mikegrimey
12-06-2010, 08:24 AM
mcfadden, randel el , battle , and to a lesser degree foote and scott, were all terrible free agent moves.

Now I can't really agree with you here MOP. Randle El and Battle make sense but Foote hasn't done anything bad and was valuable when Woodley got hurt in a game earlier this year. Scott, meh, I'm not saying he is a great tackle but it's not like we signed him to be the starter and how many quality backup LT's are there in the nfl?

Whodis
12-06-2010, 09:17 AM
william gay

just sayin, lol.

but to gay's credit, he's a good nickel db. but as a #2 he was worse than mcfadden by far

I agree... And the back up to him Madison??? too lazy to look it up, but he's pretty bad too.

I was happy to only see the nickle a few times

Big
12-06-2010, 09:53 AM
^ This is just another case of the fans villifying a player with a blanket that they can't distinguish fact from fiction.

Yes Gay has had problems in coverage and was poor as a #2 corner last year, but by no means is he "scared to tackle". He is actually pretty good in the tackling department (even when considering the trucking Peterson gave him last year). I've seen people on here comment about how much he has been abused this year too but aside from the Patriots game he has been pretty solid.

Gay isn't a starting corner but he is by no means the worst at what he does.

I agree. Gay was a pretty bad Corner, but as a Nickel Back he is pretty good.

SteelerEmpire
12-06-2010, 10:39 AM
It would probably be self defeating at this point in the season to recruit a veteran CB from another team because he would have to first learn the complicated schemes of LeBeau before he would be able to make an impact.
I say Tomlin lets Gay and McFadden know right now that if they don't pick their games up they would be replaced. ... And no. Lewis appears not to have the "common sense" to be an effective CB on this team.
And no, getting a CB in the draft that could play immediately next year is a long shot... need at least someone with 3 yrs already in the league...

Curtain_of_Steel
12-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Ok obviously Gay is the people choice, but whats worse than Gay or McF?

Having them on the field at the same time, lol.

Our problem is we have failed to draft good in those spots. All the players we drafted suck as worse if not more than those 2 clowns. Money needs to be spent there for sure this off season.
No olineman orbacks out there that are not playing for anyone?

Of course we now need a punter too, lol Although Suisham did mighty good pinning them back, if we only can not hold on a freaking punt play or line up the right way, lol

Than again money needs to be spent on the online too, lol..

How much money do we have?LOL Since the Rooneys kiss Brother O's ass so much, might he get the nfl to let us spend more?

ZoneBlitzer
12-06-2010, 01:38 PM
It would probably be self defeating at this point in the season to recruit a veteran CB from another team because he would have to first learn the complicated schemes of LeBeau before he would be able to make an impact.
I say Tomlin lets Gay and McFadden know right now that if they don't pick their games up they would be replaced. ... And no. Lewis appears not to have the "common sense" to be an effective CB on this team.
And no, getting a CB in the draft that could play immediately next year is a long shot... need at least someone with 3 yrs already in the league...

I remember back in the day when Cowher would bench certain corners for bad play. In fact, he benched Taylor. Maybe its time that Tomlin start holding players accountable. Maybe its time to bench McFadden.

mikegrimey
12-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Well before you resort to benching you have to consider your options. If we benched McFadden who would he be replaced by?

William Gay---We've seen that before.

Madison, Butler, Lewis---For all we know they may be even worse. Plus CB's, like every other position, but maybe more so, need confidence in their game, benching someone is going to wreck their confidence, like when Cower benched his best cover corner Ike Taylor. Taylor didn't really get his confidence back until 07 and working with Tomlin. You also have to consider, even if you bench McFadden, you're just 1 injury away from needing him to perform for you, and then where would you be, relying on a mentally abused CB to cover receivers? That's worse than where you started.

I'm sure McFadden is going to hear it this week for the way he played, but I don't know if benching, at this point in the campaign, would benefit anyone, except the fans.

Big
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Well before you resort to benching you have to consider your options. If we benched McFadden who would he be replaced by?

William Gay---We've seen that before.

Madison, Butler, Lewis---For all we know they may be even worse. Plus CB's, like every other position, but maybe more so, need confidence in their game, benching someone is going to wreck their confidence, like when Cower benched his best cover corner Ike Taylor. Taylor didn't really get his confidence back until 07 and working with Tomlin. You also have to consider, even if you bench McFadden, you're just 1 injury away from needing him to perform for you, and then where would you be, relying on a mentally abused CB to cover receivers? That's worse than where you started.

I'm sure McFadden is going to hear it this week for the way he played, but I don't know if benching, at this point in the campaign, would benefit anyone, except the fans.

I agreed with you on Gay, but as far as being worse then McBadden, I don't think it would be possible. Sad thing is, I'm serious. Crezdon Butler has impressed a lot of the coaching staff, obviously except for Tomlin. Butler should be given an opportunity because there is no way he's worse then McBadden. I like the kid and he has good size, recovery speed and hands.

dez09231
12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
The difference between Gay and McFadden is that McFadden makes tackles, pure and simple. McFadden is bad in coverage, we can't hide that; but he's also a sure tackle most of the time. Willie Gay is not.

If you guys want to see the most effective quick screen offense, put Willie Gay in over McFadden. Sadly, McFadden is our best option at #2.

ricardisimo
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Self-defeating... and flatly illegal. The trade deadline was over a month ago.

yinzer-inseattle
12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Anyone remember Harvey Clayton (83-86) being torched so often, he spent most Mondays in the burn unit at West Penn?

verks36
12-07-2010, 01:08 AM
yea there is a worse one his backup william gay

MasterOfPuppets
12-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Anyone remember Harvey Clayton (83-86) being torched so often, he spent most Mondays in the burn unit at West Penn?
:toofunny:

Stillers43
12-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Gay and Wright (Browns CB) are both worse but not saying much....

Rick5895
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I would like to see Butler given an opportunity to dress. However there must be a reason, perhaps there is an injury. Maybe now with Lewis hurting us on special teams, Butler will get a shot.

thumper
12-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I would like to see Butler given an opportunity to dress. However there must be a reason, perhaps there is an injury. Maybe now with Lewis hurting us on special teams, Butler will get a shot.

Yea, I forgot about Butler. They were very high on him in camp
and preseason. They even said, "He will make a contribution
THIS season." Well, bring him out then

bozz723
12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

I'd say 85% of big plays this year and last year were a direct result of William Gay. Easily the worst cornerback to ever play football for the Steelers. Can't tackle, gets bulldozed, can't cover. I really think anyone on the Pitt Panthers would be a better option.

kirklandrules
12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
O.k. I just have to say this:

In the zone blitz, there really are no "shut down" corners. It's rare that Coach L. will call man-to-man coverage and therefore, a "shut down" corner will be useless. All these guys that are being named as underperforming (ie: B-Mac, Gay, etc) are attempting to do something difficult ... cover very good receivers who happen to run through their zone, until the QB is sacked. Without pressure on the QB, it becomes inevitable that a very good receiver will find the seams in the zone. Just remember that when we see a play like the finish of the first Ravens-Steelers game, where B-Mac appears to be torched ... we don't know the assignment and really don't know if he should have had help in the deep middle (by Clark). Saying these guys suck is really saying the coaches don't know what they are doing.

thumper
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Chad Scott ever since his rookie year

ricardisimo
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I'd say 85% of big plays this year and last year were a direct result of William Gay. Easily the worst cornerback to ever play football for the Steelers. Can't tackle, gets bulldozed, can't cover. I really think anyone on the Pitt Panthers would be a better option.
But that's clearly and demonstrably not true. He was pressed into service for a two-game stretch and he gave up two TDs. The rest of this year - as our nickleback - he's been good... very good, actually.

At this point it's becoming pretty clear that he's never going to be a starting corner in the league. But I'd say we've found our nickle for the medium or long term.

I was half-joking about people hating him because he's Gay. I think people might be giving him grief because of his name. I can't understand it otherwise. Bryant McFadden has almost single-handedly lost several of our games for us, and yet this thread is the only flak he's caught, pretty much.

tony hipchest
12-08-2010, 01:40 PM
I was half-joking about people hating him because he's Gay. I think people might be giving him grief because of his name. I can't understand it otherwise. Bryant McFadden has almost single-handedly lost several of out games for us, and yet this thread is the only flak he's caught, pretty much.

this is why people give him grief and say he cant tackle and gets bulldozed-

T4lImhQeyrI

funny how a single play can give a player a stigma they can never shake. (theres not a cb out there who woulda made that play on adrian peterson who is the best back in the league).

its like asking champ bailey or d. revis to make the same play on earl campbell or jim brown. it simply wont happen.

notice how james farrior is washed up and old and slow because ray rice and brian leonards coaches isolated him in an unfavorable matchup and he barely missed the play on 2 occasions last season? (never mind in the ravens re-match when he owned ray rice- people conviniently forget that).

Set-Man
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Blown redzone plays. Two runs up the middle with our awful O-Line. Settled for 3 instead 6. Seeing Rashard pick up 8 yards on the first down to see 5 wide the on 2nd and 2. Things like that. My roommates, who aren't Steelers fans, were amazed I was calling the plays out before they happened. They thought I was a genius. I'm not. I'm just smarter than Bruce Arians.

That's funny, I was doing the same thing and my wife asked me if the game was recorded! They are so frickin predictable with their plays. So predictable that Ngati was cheating over to the left side as that is where the runs were going every time. If BA can't make any new ones why doesn't he just watch the patriots games and copy their plays. They are doing it with a bunch of no names and rookies( yes i know they have Marsha and an offensive line but it is wishful thinking).

tony hipchest
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
"my offense dont need no stinking coordinator."

-bill belichick (:scratchchin: maybe he's on to something)

Set-Man
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
"my offense dont need no stinking coordinator."

-bill belichick (:scratchchin: maybe he's on to something)

Belicheat has made me a believer after watching them castrate the Jets, even though it pains me to say so. It is funny how he could never right the Browns and how we destroyed him twice a year. Now its the other way around for the most part.
Maybe we can change that in the playoffs this year.

:tt::tt04::tt02:

mikegrimey
12-08-2010, 02:07 PM
this is why people give him grief and say he cant tackle and gets bulldozed-

T4lImhQeyrI

funny how a single play can give a player a stigma they can never shake. (theres not a cb out there who woulda made that play on adrian peterson who is the best back in the league).

its like asking champ bailey or d. revis to make the same play on earl campbell or jim brown. it simply wont happen.

notice how james farrior is washed up and old and slow because ray rice and brian leonards coaches isolated him in an unfavorable matchup and he barely missed the play on 2 occasions last season? (never mind in the ravens re-match when he owned ray rice- people conviniently forget that).

I totally agree Tony. People are just deriding Gay for an embarassingly unfortunate play that happened to him last year. THat anyone can watch the Steelers week in and week out and think that Willie Gay can't tackle is amazing to me.

Also agreed on the Farrior remarks. People are letting a couple of bad plays dictate what they think of a player entirely which just isn't fair. You have to take the good nad the bad.

Never would I defend Gay as a starting corner, but to say he is "afraid" to tackle is so laughable I can't let it slide without mentioning something.

mikegrimey
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Exactly the nonsense I'm talking about. William Gay has gotten "Bulldozzed" only once (to my memory correct me if I'm wrong) in several years of tackling, so how does that constitute the claim that he "can't tackle, gets bulldozed". I won't argue with you that he's great in coverage, although he has made good plays that people conveniently forget. He covered and shut down Boldin on back to back 3rd and 4th down plays by the goaline in our October loss to Baltimore, yet people don't want to bring that up when discussing his merits/flaws, they only want to talk about how Brady exploited him and Peterson ran over him.

Set-Man
12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I like Bill Gay and I think of him as a young Deshea Townsend. His coverage skills are hit and miss as he got torched in Cinci. As far as tackling he is fine. We'll see how he does this time around. They put TO on him in the slot and got a lot of receptions. I wonder if they put Ike on TO all game. I think I would try my chances with Ochostinko rather than TO.

As for the worst cornerback of the Steelers: McFadden. Why do you think the Cardinals got rid of him? Are they that stupid? No we were to get him back. Put Frickin Butler out there, at least he is a rookie with some speed.

SH-Rock
12-08-2010, 08:54 PM

Well the Browns have had luck with Joe Haden so it's not impossible for a rookie to make an impact.

bozz723
12-09-2010, 06:21 AM
But that's clearly and demonstrably not true. He was pressed into service for a two-game stretch and he gave up two TDs. The rest of this year - as our nickleback - he's been good... very good, actually.

At this point it's becoming pretty clear that he's never going to be a starting corner in the league. But I'd say we've found our nickle for the medium or long term.

I was half-joking about people hating him because he's Gay. I think people might be giving him grief because of his name. I can't understand it otherwise. Bryant McFadden has almost single-handedly lost several of our games for us, and yet this thread is the only flak he's caught, pretty much.

I'll agree he is light years better as a nickel. However, he still gets beat all the time as a Nickel as well. Can you really not see how many tackles he is just around and not participating in?

There are times Gay isn't even in the picture when his guy catches the ball. He IS NOT good at anything. He is better at Nickel but not close to good. Having Gay and Carter last years still gives me nightmares.

caseyviator
12-09-2010, 05:06 PM
they need to try different people for mecfadden like why not try butler, why not cant be any worse than fadden imo...gota do sumthin or we wont beat the pats down the playoff line

DanRooney
12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Nobody is making fun of Gay because he got bulldozed by a runningback that's about 50 lbs heavier than him. It's his piss poor coverage ability that gets him recognition.

McFadden is also declining in his coverage. He seems to get picked on more frequently in the past few weeks.

Clark being a mediocre free safety makes the other two worse. He doesn't have enough speed to catch ground or make a play on anything. He usually gets to the ball after it has already been caught.

tony hipchest
12-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Clark being a mediocre free safety makes the other two worse. He doesn't have enough speed to catch ground or make a play on anything. He usually gets to the ball after it has already been caught.we all love it when troy freelances and makes a play behind the line of scrimmage (like last sunday evening) or an interception along the sidelines (vs atlanta).

that means ryan clark has more ground to cover.

many fans dont get this. if and when troy guesses wrong (yes, it has happened this season) it puts the rest of the secondary in a vulnerable position... almost like playing 10 vs 11.

this is why just about every coach will NOT allow their safeties to do what troy does. not only does clark have to cover his half of safety responsibilities, he has to cover the 25% of the field troy vacates.

clark excels at this.

CargoJon
12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
we all love it when troy freelances and makes a play behind the line of scrimmage (like last sunday evening) or an interception along the sidelines (vs atlanta).

that means ryan clark has more ground to cover.

many fans dont get this. if and when troy guesses wrong (yes, it has happened this season) it puts the rest of the secondary in a vulnerable position... almost like playing 10 vs 11.

this is why just about every coach will NOT allow their safeties to do what troy does. not only does clark have to cover his half of safety responsibilities, he has to cover the 25% of the field troy vacates.

clark excels at this.

I have to agree with you; Ryan Clark actually complements Troy very well...although sometimes it looks like he gets burnt he actually is covering a ton of ground out there....and our CB's (except Ike) are horrible.

Polamalu43
12-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Gay is much worse....

SECTION219
12-10-2010, 03:34 AM

OMG... the original steelers helmets were probably leather too. Are you serious ?

Steeldude
12-10-2010, 05:57 PM

you got that right.

although i guess the steelers needed scott due to so many O-line injuries. i think battle and randle el were insurance because they weren't sure how the rookie WR would do.

foote was a waste as was mcfadden. too much money spent on average(at best) players

tony hipchest
12-10-2010, 06:30 PM
OMG... the original steelers helmets were probably leather too. Are you serious ?easy there c-section....

no need to be a complete dick bag with every single post. :thumbsup:

steelcityboyz
12-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Nobody is making fun of Gay because he got bulldozed by a runningback that's about 50 lbs heavier than him. It's his piss poor coverage ability that gets him recognition.

McFadden is also declining in his coverage. He seems to get picked on more frequently in the past few weeks.

Clark being a mediocre free safety makes the other two worse. He doesn't have enough speed to catch ground or make a play on anything. He usually gets to the ball after it has already been caught.
Brady will have a party with either Gay or Bmac

Shea
12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Without reading the thread, I just want to point out his play as a rookie, especially in Indy.

He had a bad game against the Ravens but he's not a bad corner.

I think we have bigger problems than him, and I think it's about health.

We can, and I believe will make the playoffs, but what might sink our ship this year is injuries.