PDA

View Full Version : NFL 2nd ugliest jersey's to get a little uglier

Suitanim
04-04-2006, 10:49 AM
The Browns jerseys will soon rival the Bengals as the most eye-bleedingly, butt ugly abominations in the NFL.

Traditionalists will get their wish this year. Browns owner Randy Lerner is bringing back the team's old duds for next season, including gray face masks, original striping on jersey sleeves and the old, darker shade of brown. The team will wear only white pants and alternate between brown and white jerseys - never orange. "This is not about branding. This is about the Cleveland Browns," Lerner said.
- Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

clevestinks
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Gray face mask, nice touch turds

FisherMOM
04-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Gray face mask, nice touch turds
lol...

oh my... bad enough we have to look at the Bengals uniforms.. :dang:

j-dawg
04-04-2006, 03:32 PM
sweet!!

Suitanim
04-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Ahhhhh! Make it stop!

http://www.accessexcellence.org/AE/mspot/tbs/storygraphics/man.gif

http://www.fanmonster.com/browns/season/2005/2005_09_11_Bengals/theinsiders_8612420.jpg

Ambridge
04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
This could actually be a good thing!! No more Orange pants and Orange jerseys.
There was couple of times in the last few seasons when the Stains went Orange on Orange
and it was bad, I mean really bad.

boLT fan
04-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I don't see why people hate the Bengals jersey's so much. They're one of my favorites in the league.

And it does make sense for the "Browns" the wear Brown, doesn't i t?

83-Steelers-43
04-04-2006, 04:29 PM
And it does make sense for the "Browns" the wear Brown, doesn't i t?

Just because something makes sense doesn't make it pretty to look at for two games a year.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Im all for tradition in the NFL as much as the next guy.. but the clowns jersey's are just butt ugly anyways, now its even worse !

boLT fan
04-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Just because something makes sense doesn't make it pretty to look at for two games a year.

Well maybe they changed them to brown to hide the mud stains always on their backs? =D

RoethlisBURGHer
04-04-2006, 05:33 PM
My dad is happy,he hated the orange jerseys.Oh yeah,he's a Stains fan.

j-dawg
04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
yeah.. what's with everyones obsession with the uniforms?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/AndraDavisCle.jpg

tony hipchest
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
yeah.. what's with everyones obsession with the uniforms?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/AndraDavisCle.jpg

i think its more of an obsession with hammering the crap packed inside, not the actual packaging.

j-dawg
04-04-2006, 06:44 PM
i think its more of an obsession with hammering the crap packed inside, not the actual packaging.

hehehehe....:dang:

HburgXL06
04-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Can anybody tell me why they named a team the "browns" anyway? What is the history of that and what is a "brown?" I have a friend wit a hat that has every NFL logo on it and we found this bulldog on it. We were wondering WTF it was all night until someone told us it was a "browns" logo. Huh? Brown is ugly, and so is bad color combinations like orange and brown. Gray and brown doesn't work either. Unless you're a Hershey Bear (minor league hockey team near Hburg their color is chocolate brown) brown is ugly.

BuFu

Stlrs4Life
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
They are also changin the brown? So they can look even more like shit!

Suit, you said 2nd? They have the worst already.

MasterOfPuppets
04-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Can anybody tell me why they named a team the "browns" anyway? What is the history of that and what is a "brown?" I have a friend wit a hat that has every NFL logo on it and we found this bulldog on it. We were wondering WTF it was all night until someone told us it was a "browns" logo. Huh? Brown is ugly, and so is bad color combinations like orange and brown. Gray and brown doesn't work either. Unless you're a Hershey Bear (minor league hockey team near Hburg their color is chocolate brown) brown is ugly.

BuFu
they were named after thier coach...paul brown

Hawk Believer
04-04-2006, 08:37 PM

BuFu
The Browns are the only team in major American professional sports named after a person. (I learned this playing Trivial Pursuit Years ago)

Google helped me find this:
In 1945, Arthur McBride brought the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) team to Cleveland. He ran a newspaper contest to name the team and offered the winner a $1,000 war bond. Many entries suggested the name "Browns" after Head Coach Paul Brown, but Coach Brown felt it wasn't "proper" to name the team after himself. Instead, the winning suggestion was the Panthers. However, there was a semi-pro team called the Cleveland Panthers in the '20s, and the owner still had the rights to the name. So, Coach Brown reluctantly agreed to name the team the Browns.

Hawk Believer
04-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Regarding ugly uniforms... The way I see it, there are two kinds of ugly uniforms.

The first is bad ugly. These are those uniforms that are trying to be trendy and cool and end up looking gross and tacky. I would say that the Panthers fall into that category, or I could reluctantly admit my own Seahawks probably qualify for that category. These uniforms don't look so hot right now and they will look gawd awful in a decade.

Then there is good ugly. Its when the uniforms are the antithesis of the ones I just described. They are simple and use old school colors that were probably picked more for their ability to hide stains and be used longer than for providing "pop" to a SI cover shot. I would say that the Browns uniforms are the archetype of this category. They don't look pretty and they don't try to be. I personally think thats great. Its football, for chrisakes! Not a fashion show.

I think the fact the Browns have stuck with a name that only has meaning to people who know the team's history, they have stuck with the orginal colors in spite of changing fashion (unlike the Padres or Astros), and they the only pros sports team (I think?)that has resisted creating a logo are anachronistic traits that make the team unique and honors the organization's history.

HburgXL06
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info! So I guess they made the color connection of brown to the team from the man. Then why don't they have a logo of some coach figure standing there? Haha. Oh well good for that man to be honored with a NFL team named after him. If only that team didn't suck so bad.

BuFu

j-dawg
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM
yeah.. the kicker is that paul brown left the browns to start the bengals! yikes.

HburgXL06
04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Regarding ugly uniforms... The way I see it, there are two kinds of ugly uniforms.

The first is bad ugly. These are those uniforms that are trying to be trendy and cool and end up looking gross and tacky. I would say that the Panthers fall into that category, or I could reluctantly admit my own Seahawks probably qualify for that category. These uniforms don't look so hot right now and they will look gawd awful in a decade.

Then there is good ugly. Its when the uniforms are the antithesis of the ones I just described. They are simple and use old school colors that were probably picked more for their ability to hide stains and be used longer than for providing "pop" to a SI cover shot. I would say that the Browns uniforms are the archetype of this category. They don't look pretty and they don't try to be. I personally think thats great. Its football, for chrisakes! Not a fashion show.

I think the fact the Browns have stuck with a name that only has meaning to people who know the team's history, they have stuck with the orginal colors in spite of changing fashion (unlike the Padres or Astros), and they the only pros sports team (I think?)that has resisted creating a logo are anachronistic traits that make the team unique and honors the organization's history.

The panthers are a new organization and haven't had the history to create an "old school" look. I don't mind their unis or colors so much. The seahawks' colors.....I don't get them. I just don't understand where they came up with that weird blue color and the flourescent (sp?) green. I like the american indian inspired bird logo though. It makes a lot more sense and is more inspired and original than some of the logos around the league. If the team went with a different blue maybe it would come off as a better look. I'd have to think harder to come up with a better color idea, that's just my thoughts.

As far the browns go...it doesn't matter if they are "down and dirty" they are just badly put together look. I hate the browns just because of who they are to my team but I would give them credit if I thought their unis looked good.

BuFu

Hawk Believer
04-04-2006, 09:26 PM
The panthers are a new organization and haven't had the history to create an "old school" look. I don't mind their unis or colors so much. The seahawks' colors.....I don't get them. I just don't understand where they came up with that weird blue color and the flourescent (sp?) green. I like the american indian inspired bird logo though. It makes a lot more sense and is more inspired and original than some of the logos around the league. If the team went with a different blue maybe it would come off as a better look. I'd have to think harder to come up with a better color idea, that's just my thoughts.

As far the browns go...it doesn't matter if they are "down and dirty" they are just badly put together look. I hate the browns just because of who they are to my team but I would give them credit if I thought their unis looked good.

BuFu
I agree with the critique of the Hawks unis. The green is wacky. I don't mind the shade of blue so much. It makes sense to have blue as a color since we have Sea in the name. But ultimately I wish they had just stuck with the uniform style we'd had since our inception. At least they didn't change the logo.

HburgXL06
04-04-2006, 09:58 PM
I agree with the critique of the Hawks unis. The green is wacky. I don't mind the shade of blue so much. It makes sense to have blue as a color since we have Sea in the name. But ultimately I wish they had just stuck with the uniform style we'd had since our inception. At least they didn't change the logo.

I don't mind the blue...there's a slight metallic to the tone/shade of it that gives it an slightly different look from other unis because most teams just have a flat color. That can be good or bad...I don't think it is so bad and would agree it works since the team refers to the sea in the name and location. The green...I don't know it would seem there is a better color that would match but don't ask me because at this point I can't think of one. Maybe a silver or darker green. Tell them to keep the logo. If only other teams could find more original and historical and creative logos like yours.

BuFu

SteelerDan43
04-04-2006, 10:06 PM

The Browns did have a logo that was used, http://www.misterhabs.com/helmets.htm in the prototypes section, supposedly used for only a few preseason games on helmet but was used on other stuff, http://cgi.ebay.com/Tudor-Electric-Football-618_W0QQitemZ8791944659QQcategoryZ19106QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

http://i16.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/bf/23/06_1.JPG

JAG151
04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
But the point remains with all the owners, both previous and present, as well as the fans.......they just haven't figured out that you cant polish a turd!!

Hawk Believer
04-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Great link. The prototype section is cool. The Memphis Hound Dogs? The Los Angeles Senors? Who knew? I sure didn't.

It definately looks like the Browns did the right thing in resisiting that logo.

That Dolphins prototype was nasty. I can't say I'm a fan of the current helmet, but that one was crazy.

I also saw something that got by me when the Seahawks switched to their new uniforms. They did change the logo. It has a meaner expression now.

SteelerDan43
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Great link. The prototype section is cool. The Memphis Hound Dogs? The Los Angeles Senors? Who knew? I sure didn't.

It definately looks like the Browns did the right thing in resisiting that logo.

That Dolphins prototype was nasty. I can't say I'm a fan of the current helmet, but that one was crazy.

I also saw something that got by me when the Seahawks switched to their new uniforms. They did change the logo. It has a meaner expression now.

I would of liked to see the Hawks use the silver version of the currernt helmet just to have the logo stand out more and pay hommage to the old unis

j-dawg
04-04-2006, 10:41 PM

yep... the cardinals did the same thing last year...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/cardinals1.gif

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/cardinals2.jpg

i can't tell the difference either...

Suitanim
04-05-2006, 09:32 AM
As for the Panthers and Seahawks uni colors, that was actually started way back in the 80's with the San Jose Sharks. That kind of aqua blue and black was flying off the shelves, even though the team sucked. Somebody did some research and found out that men AND women responded well to those colors, and, the next thing you know, every expansion team in all sports had some kind of variation on the the theme.

Think Jags/Panthers in the NFL, Devil Rays in the MLB, Hornets and Magic in the NBA, etc, etc...

HburgXL06
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
yep... the cardinals did the same thing last year...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/cardinals1.gif

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/cardinals2.jpg

i can't tell the difference either...

From a design perspective I can see where the line were simplified and sharpened for a more dramatic, angry, and harsh look....but still cmon it's a cardinal man...who is gonna be scared of a lil red bird unless Alfred Hitch**** is involved. On paper and on the image you posted you can tell a slight difference (a more angry expression) but I doubt that it can be noticed on the field. Just thinkin bout it since I brought up Hitch****...why isn't there a team called the crows or somethin...wasn't that the type of bird that was used in the movie "the birds" by Hitch**** to terrorize a whole town? At this point I know there are so many other animals that would make more geographic sense with their team than what so far has been picked out.

As for the Panthers and Seahawks uni colors, that was actually started way back in the 80's with the San Jose Sharks. That kind of aqua blue and black was flying off the shelves, even though the team sucked. Somebody did some research and found out that men AND women responded well to those colors, and, the next thing you know, every expansion team in all sports had some kind of variation on the the theme.

Think Jags/Panthers in the NFL, Devil Rays in the MLB, Hornets and Magic in the NBA, etc, etc...

That's kind of pathetic that they base the whole look and image of a team on "what colors both men and women responded to." If you can give the browns credit for anythin it's that they didn't make themselves look pretty so that they would be more attractive to both men and women viewers. Panthers aren't blue and neither are jaguars...or hornets so to make their color change to better fit "the pleasurable viewing of the public" is sad. Only team I can think of that warrants an obvious blue color is "The Fightin' Blue Hens" of the University of Delaware aka my school. But our blue is a bright blue alongside a bright gold/yellow so it all works out.

BTW: Just so you don't think our mascot is as f*cked up as I thought it was when I first came here there actually are blue hens and roosters and some are kept on campus. There's a lil story/history behind it but just sayin so you don't think that "blue hen" was made up.

BuFu

tony hipchest
04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
as far as the cardinals, the old logo looks more pensive and bitter about years of losing. the new and improved one looks more determined to actually do something to change the losing ways. the slight lean forward is almost symbolic of looking forward.

SteelerDan43
04-05-2006, 01:32 PM
From a design perspective I can see where the line were simplified and sharpened for a more dramatic, angry, and harsh look....but still cmon it's a cardinal man...who is gonna be scared of a lil red bird unless Alfred Hitch**** is involved. On paper and on the image you posted you can tell a slight difference (a more angry expression) but I doubt that it can be noticed on the field. Just thinkin bout it since I brought up Hitch****...why isn't there a team called the crows or somethin...wasn't that the type of bird that was used in the movie "the birds" by Hitch**** to terrorize a whole town? At this point I know there are so many other animals that would make more geographic sense with their team than what so far has been picked out.

I believe the Ravens got their name from Poe, there are sure enough bird teams though

HburgXL06
04-05-2006, 01:41 PM
as far as the cardinals, the old logo looks more pensive and bitter about years of losing. the new and improved one looks more determined to actually do something to change the losing ways. the slight lean forward is almost symbolic of looking forward.

I agree and with them signin James they are makin steps forward.

I believe the Ravens got their name from Poe, there are sure enough bird teams though

Wasn't Poe from Maryland? I thought it was that general MD/DC/VA area. There really are a ton of bird teams: eagles, cardinals, seahawks, ravens, falcons, ....I'm prolly forgettin at least one.

BuFu

Suitanim
04-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Yup, Poe was from Baltimore, hence the Ravens.

Is it mere coincidence that Poe, a junkie, was the inspiration behind the most criminal team in the NFL?

I don't think so!

HburgXL06
04-05-2006, 02:23 PM

Is it mere coincidence that Poe, a junkie, was the inspiration behind the most criminal team in the NFL?

I don't think so!

Good point. Poe was also f*cked up in general. Creative....but so so so f*cked up.

BuFu

Hawk Believer
04-05-2006, 03:05 PM

I don't think so!

If they were the crows, we could appropriately refer to the team as a "murder."

I did find these names for a group of ravens though:
A conspiracy of ravens, an unkindness of ravens, a constable of ravens

Ambridge
04-05-2006, 03:39 PM
http://www.emersonknives.com/Raven_B_BTS.html

The Ravens could also be appropriately called the "Knives".

HburgXL06
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
If they were the crows, we could appropriately refer to the team as a "murder."

I did find these names for a group of ravens though:

I like "a conspiracy of ravens." Isn't it called a murder of crows? Props to the man who came up with those names. I know there is "a gaggle of geese" and "a pride of lions." So what would the Steelers be? Hmmmmm. "An ore of Steelers" maybe.

BTW Ambridge, I have the flag that you have as your avatar. It's 3x5 feet and hung in my dorm room opposite my roommates 2x3 ft. super bowl xxxix 3-time patriots flag. When I started this year I had a Steelers poster and of course The Terrible Towel. When my roommate hung up that flag I got pissed inside but didn't say nothing. I just hated and still hate the pats. The argument was always that I may have had more stuff but his flag was bigger than the poster and The Terrible Towel combined and I thought how great it would be to get a giant Steelers flag to put up opposite his. What great timing that the Steelers won the Super Bowl this year and so now I have my giant flag which totally out sizes everythin he has. I'ma take pics soon to show everyone don't worry. Peace.

BuFu

Hawk Believer
04-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I like "a conspiracy of ravens." Isn't it called a murder of crows? Props to the man who came up with those names. I know there is "a gaggle of geese" and "a pride of lions." So what would the Steelers be? Hmmmmm. "An ore of Steelers" maybe.

BuFu

There is a book called An Exaltation of Larks that has hundreds of those terms and explanations how the names came about. You could easily find it in a used book store if you like the topic. It makes for good toilet reading.

HburgXL06
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
There is a book called An Exaltation of Larks that has hundreds of those terms and explanations how the names came about. You could easily find it in a used book store if you like the topic. It makes for good toilet reading.

Thanks I'll look for it. I love things like that. I remember a few years back I was in this one house and went to the bathroom and they had a framed poster that listed out all sorts of groups of animals. That's where I remember "gaggle of geese" (which is I think is hilarious) and "pride of lions."

BuFu

Mr. Clean
04-05-2006, 05:49 PM
I thought the Browns went "traditional" back in 1984 after the dropped thos awful orange pants. The Browns were the only NFL team to wear the white jerseys at home for many years (I think), long before Dallas did it. Sometimes, the Browns could go a couple of years without wearing the brown jerseys.

Thos orange pants came about in 1975. They were always hideous. Modell hated the elf/brownie logo and while he never officialy got rid of it they almost never used it when he owned the team.

Seattle should have stayed with their original jerseys. Their current road jerseys are okay but the home ones look like some high school team.

Carolina's jerseys look like a CFL team.

Both the Jets and Giants went retro in recent years and they look better. Buffalo wore their throwbacks in a couple of games and they look better than their current ones.

beSteelmyheart
04-09-2006, 10:16 PM
IMO there isn't anything uglier than a Bengals uniform.
Less orange is always a good thing.