PDA

View Full Version : Ravens believe they handed the Steelers the game

Deserei90
12-06-2010, 05:43 AM
It will go down in the record books as a 13-10 Steelers win over Baltimore.

But the Ravens will always view it as something else.

“I’m sure they would like to say they took it with the turnover at the end,” receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said. “We gave them the game. Y’all watched the game. Y’all know that. They know that.”

Troy Polamalu’s strip sack of Joe Flacco on a 2nd-and-5 play with a little more than three minutes left in 10-6 game led to the game-winning touchdown and left the Ravens stunned.

“We gave it to them,” linebacker Terrell Suggs said.

Instead of having control of the division with four games left, the Ravens are now sitting in the sixth and final wildcard spot in the AFC.

“Obviously it is a tough loss,” Baltimore coach John Harbaugh said. “Basically, we gave the game away in the end. We should’ve won the football game and that’s disappointing.”

It’s been an all too familiar sight for the Ravens against the Steelers.

All four of their wins since 2008 over the Ravens have come by four points or fewer. And the one before that prevented Baltimore from going to the Super Bowl.

“We are sick,” linebacker Jarrett Johnson said. “We felt good the whole game and feel confident about the win and all of a sudden it is over and they are kneeling. I am pretty disappointed right now.”

“We shouldn’t have lost the game how we lost it,” Houshmandzadeh added.

With the Ravens clinging to a 10-6 lead late in the game, Polamalu creeped to the line of scrimmaged and blitzed from the right side.

Left tackle Michael Oher slid to the inside and running back Ray Rice crossed the formation to pick up the blitzing Lawrence Timmons.

Polamalu came free and knocked the ball out of Flacco’s hands. LaMarr Woodley picked the ball up and returned it to the 9.

“Is that something new?” Suggs said. “Polamalu at the line of scrimmage? You can’t give their defense opportunities to make plays.”

Suggs had a bad feeling when he saw Polamalu sneaking to the line of scrimmage.

“It was like ‘Man, I hope we have a plan’ because it didn’t feel good when I saw that hair at the line of scrimmage,” Suggs said.

Flacco didn’t see Polamalu coming. He took a three-step drop and was going for a pass in the flat when he was hit.

“I took three steps and raised my arm and just got hit,” Flacco said. “I was pretty shocked to see it myself.”

Oher, who is battling a right knee injury, wasn’t sure what happened on the play.

“I don’t know, we have to go watch film on it,” Oher said. “We have to account for 43 at all times. We can’t let him get out of our sight. We have to see what we did wrong. The guy is a heck of a football player. He is so good at disguising a lot of things.”

Baltimore has games left with Houston, New Orleans, Cleveland and Cincinnati. They have a stranglehold on a wild card spot at 8-4.

“We have to regroup and hopefully we learned something,” safety Chris Carr said. “You can’t gloat after a win and can’t go in the tank after a loss. We are going to lose some sleep over this one but we will be over it on Tuesday.”

The Steelers have games left with Cincinnati, N.Y. Jets, Carolina and Cleveland.

“Hopefully we can get some help,” Houshmandzadeh said.

http://bit.ly/idxI2Y Now there saying they gave us the game? :doh: Was this even necessary to say? Does anyone else think they gave us The Game?

plenewken
12-06-2010, 06:10 AM
We can't say we beat the Ravens can we? They lost the game, like Buffalo did last week.
Glad for the W but there's not much we can objectively feel comfortable with, except that we're 9-3.

TRH
12-06-2010, 06:15 AM
no big deal......almost every time and every game somebody loses they say "we gave the game away...". I hear that all the time.

SH-Rock
12-06-2010, 06:23 AM
"They are who we thought they were"

steeltheone
12-06-2010, 06:37 AM
They did give it away. We will take it!

zulater
12-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Yeah, well I think we gave the game away when we lost to the Ravens in Pgh earl;iar in the season. So now we're even in that regard.

LambertWardSteel
12-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Yeah, well I think we gave the game away when we lost to the Ravens in Pgh earl;iar in the season. So now we're even in that regard.

Agreed. How easily they forget that game.

4xSBChamps
12-06-2010, 07:31 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/RayLewiscrying.jpg

grward
12-06-2010, 08:20 AM
They scored 10 points. 10 POINTS! They didn't give shit away. You can't score 10 points in the NFL and say you had the game in your pocket. This just shows their child-like mentality.

TRH
12-06-2010, 08:30 AM

Perfectly said.

drucifer
12-06-2010, 08:42 AM
They scored 10 points. 10 POINTS! They didn't give shit away. You can't score 10 points in the NFL and say you had the game in your pocket. This just shows their child-like mentality.

Exactly! But, whatever helps them sleep at night I suppose.

SacknificentStew56
12-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Last time I checked, they don't have a "gave the game away" column. We could say we gave the game away to them and that lazy route from T.J. on B-Mac but we took it and moved on. I didn't know the league had a course called Excuse Making 101 and all the Ratbirds signed up for it.

GMU Steeler
12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
And the same you could argue happened in October in Pittsburgh. At the end of the day we won and they lost. It's that simple.

SacknificentStew56
12-06-2010, 08:56 AM
And the same you could argue happened in October in Pittsburgh. At the end of the day we won and they lost. It's that simple.

My point exactly!! Some folks just don't know when to move on. My WORD!! LMAO!! :tt03:

Whodis
12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
So if we give them this game. Will we get the one back we gave them in Pitt?

SteelCityMom
12-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Who cares what they think. They're just upset (understandably). Getting the W in a game like that is all that matters. Here's hoping Houston and NO kick the shit out of them. :drink:

On to Cincy.

VASteelerGuy
12-06-2010, 09:32 AM
I don't get this...either their view point or sometimes ours....the game is 60 mins and how many times has it come down to last minute scores and games separated by three points? Almost all of them. Given the tempo I was praying we would go for the TD on the 2nd FG series...thinking a FG wouldn't win it given the history. Thankfully I'm a fan and defense stepped up.

THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO!!! I wont apologize for the defense making a play that resulted in a game winning drive. HOLD US like you did on the last FG series and you win the game.

I never like to get into bashing other teams but wow am I getting sick of this crap. We WON it, plain and simple and because you couldn't put up more points earlier, we were able to take that lead.

OH, and you had two minutes to move the ball down the field like you did at Pittsburgh earlier this season and win it...you didn't even need to go the full field, just FG range.

So suck it up and take it like the respected team you are...seriously, I respect the Ravens but this is BS if you don't think we won it, or you GAVE it to us. We took it to you when it counted...notwithstanding the lack of calls on the QB for breaking his nose and literally ripping Miller's head off. Again we played a team and the refs.

We won! Own it!

steelerchad
12-06-2010, 09:44 AM
This giving the game away crap reminds me of 2007, when we torched them in Pittsburgh. It was 35-0 in the second quarter and we coasted to a 38-7 blowout. I remember Ray Lewis all hot and bothered, being interviewed after the game. All he could say was..... Did they run the ball on us????? They couldn't run the ball on us tonight.

Really Ray, we didn't run the ball on you because we passed all over your silly ass. They hate Pittsburgh so much, they can't stomach another tough loss. So, instead of admitting defeat they say they gave it away. Instead of giving credit where credit is due.
I don't understand how admitting you screwed up is better than saying someone was just a little bit better than you that night. Whatever.

steelcity1974
12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
When was it ever THEIR'S to give? You have to play 60 minutes (something the Ravens have had trouble doing all season). And if in their opinion throwing the ball on 2nd and 5 with 3 and a half minutes left was their best chance to close out the game...then guess what? We beat your best...Troy gave Shane Falco the CHOP!

Third Rail
12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Usually, I tend to think that the team that wins a hard fought game is simply the superior one, at least on that day.

But if the Ravens want to say we won because they suck, more power to them.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-06-2010, 10:47 AM
No less than our Secondary handed them the first game without BB playing.

No matter how you look at it, 1-1 against them and I would prefer to not play them again, lol Those games are just to physical and we keep losing more players.

steelax04
12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
All I saw was should, should, should, should... :blah:

ZoneBlitzer
12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
You know when the Steelers were on the ropes to start the game I was glad. Why? Because in previous games they had had the run of the play. This time it felt like the Ravens were copying what the Steelers do which is start relatively strong somewhat on offensive, squander field position, tank in the second half etc. It wasn't entirely a mirror copy because usually the Steelers have found ways to win. This time the Steelers had a better second half AND they got a timely turnover to help push them over the edge. But the overall theme of letting a team hang around was certainly accomplished by Baltimore. That's exactly what the Steelers permit. In fact, if you look at it closely, it seems that it all started with Super Bowl 43. That's the consistent trend that the Steelers have maintained. They don't make it easy on themselves. Last year, the D melted to protect leads. This year the D is stepping up. All of this speaks to an offense that struggles, really, to put up points on the board and put teams away. And that's what Baltimore did. They could have lit the Steelers up early, but they failed to and thus sealed their fate.

austinfrench76
12-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Every team that Houshmansucksass is on says that we didn't beat them but they beat themselves!! Remember when the Bungals would say that after we would sweep them every year! Eat it Ratbirds, Steelers take the NORTH!!!...for now...

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 01:16 PM
their mistake was leaving us in the game. 1st half was ALL them, and honestly, i thought we were lucky to go into halftime only down 7-0. surprisingly we came out to play in the 2nd half and it bit them. if they put up more than 7 points i'm sure they would have run away with it. but they didn't.

steve314
12-06-2010, 01:20 PM
When was it ever THEIR'S to give? You have to play 60 minutes (something the Ravens have had trouble doing all season). And if in their opinion throwing the ball on 2nd and 5 with 3 and a half minutes left was their best chance to close out the game...then guess what? We beat your best...Troy gave Shane Falco the CHOP!

They were throwing at that point because Arians sent over a suggested play call for them, and they went with it for some reason.....

dez09231
12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Who cares what they say? We're 9-3 and in the drivers seat. Teams can "give us the game" all year if they want to.

Whodis
12-06-2010, 01:59 PM
They were throwing at that point because Arians sent over a suggested play call for them, and they went with it for some reason.....

^ This