PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Look

SteelKnight
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Looking ahead again, now I feel:

1. We MUST keep Woodley. He has become part of the character of the Steelers D. At this point he is just as important as Harrison. Now that Thadius Gibson is gone, there is no guilt that a lot of young talent is being wasted. They can continue to develop Worilds as a real back up such that they wouldn't have to move Timons.

2.We must keep Timmons. he is becoming a staple of the Steelers D. At this point, I'm not sure Patrick Willis was a better deal. I'm just as happy with Timmons.

3. We must resign Troy...no brainer.

4. We must resign Ike. He has shown he can hold on to the ball now. (One of his picks was nullified). He is our best cover corner. Gay and BMac just don't cut it. It would be a huge loss to lose him. We can still go after CB talent but not to replace Ike. We would suffer a lot without him.

5. The drama of the kicker is gone...so this leaves a franchise tag for one of the above players if necessary. They could do it as a tribute to Woodley if they want. He would understand because he could get some serious coin and bypass the 30% rule. Meanwhile they could work on a long term deal.

6. Woodley and Ike must be taken care of right away (as soon as the season ends) while the others have the whole summer to work out a deal.

StainlessStill
12-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Sorry man, but my mind isn't thinking about the off-season! Lets worry about that after we land the #1-2 seed and our flight home from Dallas hoisting another Lombardi!

StillerzFreak
12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Looking ahead again, now I feel:

1. We MUST keep Woodley. He has become part of the character of the Steelers D. At this point he is just as important as Harrison. Now that Thadius Gibson is gone, there is no guilt that a lot of young talent is being wasted. They can continue to develop Worilds as a real back up such that they wouldn't have to move Timons.

2.We must keep Timmons. he is becoming a staple of the Steelers D. At this point, I'm not sure Patrick Willis was a better deal. I'm just as happy with Timmons.

3. We must resign Troy...no brainer.

4. We must resign Ike. He has shown he can hold on to the ball now. (One of his picks was nullified). He is our best cover corner. Gay and BMac just don't cut it. It would be a huge loss to lose him. We can still go after CB talent but not to replace Ike. We would suffer a lot without him.

5. The drama of the kicker is gone...so this leaves a franchise tag for one of the above players if necessary. They could do it as a tribute to Woodley if they want. He would understand because he could get some serious coin and bypass the 30% rule. Meanwhile they could work on a long term deal.

6. Woodley and Ike must be taken care of right away (as soon as the season ends) while the others have the whole summer to work out a deal.

:thumbsup: I agree 100%

SteelKnight
12-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Sorry man, but my mind isn't thinking about the off-season! Lets worry about that after we land the #1-2 seed and our flight home from Dallas hoisting another Lombardi!

LOL What made me think of it is people keep saying Ike is expendable. After seeing the CB play last night, I think not.

Also...I must admit, I thought Woodley might be replaceable ...but I have now changed my mind. I don't blame them for wanting money either. For the past 2 seasons Woodley has played like a superstar but hasn't been paid like one. The contract will likely reflect back-pay.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Woodley is in the last year. CBA will dictate if we can get a deal done or not.

Timmons has a longer contract if I recall 5 years as he was the 1st round pick? So he is safe for another year, and I dont think he will go anywhere as farrior/foote will be done at that time, and a younger cheaper guy there leaving more money for Timmons.

Troy has still another year, and I doubt he is going anywhere.

Taylor, hopefully we get a hometown discount. But i think last time the negotiations werent exactly nice nice.

steeltheone
12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
We have many many needs...This is probably our last stand with the age of this Defense...We need to get faster!

SteelKnight
12-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Woodley is in the last year. CBA will dictate if we can get a deal done or not.

Timmons has a longer contract if I recall 5 years as he was the 1st round pick? So he is safe for another year, and I dont think he will go anywhere as farrior/foote will be done at that time, and a younger cheaper guy there leaving more money for Timmons.

Troy has still another year, and I doubt he is going anywhere.

Taylor, hopefully we get a hometown discount. But i think last time the negotiations werent exactly nice nice.

I mentioned Troy and Timmons because we usually negotiate with 1 year left. That will be next summer.

Taylor and Woodley will be emergent as they will hit free agency as soon as the season finishes. Franchise on either would be really pricey.

SteelKnight
12-11-2010, 10:59 PM
We have many many needs...This is probably our last stand with the age of this Defense...We need to get faster!

Yeah...for the 2013 season I think the whole D line and both CBs may be new. I think Farrior will be gone but something tells me Harrison will still be around.

Troy -should give us 4 more years after this
Clark-should give us 3 more years after this
Woodley-should give us 6 more years after this
Timmons-should give us 6 more years after this

steeltheone
12-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah...for the 2013 season I think the whole D line and both CBs may be new. I think Farrior will be gone but something tells me Harrison will still be around.

Not sure about the Clark years...He has declined alot. He is 31 now.

PhantomJB93
12-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I mentioned Troy and Timmons because we usually negotiate with 1 year left. That will be next summer.

Taylor and Woodley will be emergent as they will hit free agency as soon as the season finishes. Franchise on either would be really pricey.

Franchise tag gives the avergae of the top 5 salaries at the position, correct? Between Asomugha and Revis, franchising a CB is a VERY bad idea...

MDSteel15
12-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Franchise tag gives the avergae of the top 5 salaries at the position, correct? Between Asomugha and Revis, franchising a CB is a VERY bad idea...

Yeah, we definitely don't have a CB worthy of the franchise tag... :coffee:

SteelKnight
12-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Not sure about the Clark years...He has declined alot. He is 31 now.

Clark is still pretty good. Troy is the best but he gambles a lot. I often see Clark where the action is helping the CB. Without him we would be even worse in our pass defense if that is possible.

I don't really know if it is our CBs that suck or whether it is Lebeau's system. Maybe it confuses them. Taylor and Clark can play. Lebeau needs to modify some things. They have him figured out.

SteelKnight
12-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Agreed. I even hope Woodley would come cheaper than franchise but if not, he would be worth franchising just to buy time to get a deal. If we pay him a high amount, we should just consider part of it as payback for playing the last 3 years for free. The signing bonus will be back pay.

Woodley is a real Steeler now...he must stay.

SH-Rock
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Timmons is more than 6 years. He is only 24 and knowing the Steelers, they love oldies playing.

SteelKnight
12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure Timmons is more than 6 years. He is only 24 and knowing the Steelers, they love oldies playing.

You might be right. For any position other than QB I have trouble assigning more than 6 good years...lol Even if they play well, you never know about contract disputes and teams wanting to move towards youth. I'd love it if he could give us 10 (as a Steeler).

SteelKnight
12-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I think Woodley just got his contract.

SteelKnight
12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Rookies will be rookies...lol

SteelKnight
12-12-2010, 03:36 PM
OK...feeling more confident now. We'll have to use our 3rd or 4th round pick on a kicker. I get nervous with 30 yard kicks with this guy. That 41 yarder was like a 51 yarder to me. lol

PhantomJB93
12-12-2010, 03:36 PM

I meant financially...we'd be paying Ike LUDICROUS amounts of money if we franchised him, FAR more than whatever deal we'd work out would pay him...have you SEEN the contracts Revis and Aso have?