PDA

View Full Version : Are the Blitz packages back?

Whodis
12-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Our defense really kept pressure on Flacco all night. I understand that bringing the blitz will also expose a cornerback in single coverage (see thread on B-Mac) and give up a big pass or two.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather see sacks and quarterback pressure. Prior to this game it seemed like we were in a soft cover-two or playing a lot of nickle.

Will this be how we roll the rest of the season? Do you guys like keeping it safe and preventing big plays? Thoughts?

Fire Arians
12-06-2010, 02:44 PM
well we can't cover anyway (besides ike) so we might as well send the house everytime lol.

maybe we took a page out of the saints' playbook. suspect secondary, limit the amount of time the qb has to throw. of course that backfired and gave them long gains leaving mcfadden 1on1 with boldin but sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good.

ZoneBlitzer
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM
I have noticed this adjustment of late. The Steelers are definitely bringing more pressure right off the bat. It's good to see.

SacknificentStew56
12-07-2010, 04:31 AM
I hope they keep the pressure up on high for the rest of the season and well into the post season. Can't beat having Troy at the line of scrimmage giving backs and QBs that uneasy feeling of what's about to happen.

Rick5895
12-07-2010, 06:49 AM
The baltimore game was "season changing" for us IMO. We got back to Blitzburgh, Ben showed his toughness and that brought the team together even tighter.
ONly one team worries me in the Playoffs and that is NE, but I have a feeling Lebeau didn't show his hand knowing we would face them in January.
BLITZ, BLITZ, BLITZ and Blitz some more and lets smash our opponents into the ground!!

grward
12-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Bringing the house is what helped us win the game in the Ratbirds stadium. Without that, we lose. And that was with giving up a few big plays. So I say YES, BLITZ ALL DAY! EVERY DOWN! Which one of you quoted the "Remember the Titans"? LOL! Great movie, great quote and that's EXACTLY what we need to do until we walk away with our 7th trophy!

ETL
12-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Blitzes are nice to confuse a QB but players like Brady won't be confused.

We need guys like Ziggy Hood and keisel and Eason to beat their opponents one on one. If we can get pressure with the down linemen, we may not need to rely on the blitz so much.

SteelerEmpire
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM
The baltimore game was "season changing" for us IMO. We got back to Blitzburgh, Ben showed his toughness and that brought the team together even tighter.
ONly one team worries me in the Playoffs and that is NE, but I have a feeling Lebeau didn't show his hand knowing we would face them in January.
BLITZ, BLITZ, BLITZ and Blitz some more and lets smash our opponents into the ground!!

Exactly ! It was better to lose to these guys in the regular season. IF LeBeau would have showed everyone his "REAL" strategy against NE's style of offense a few weeks ago, NE would have had a chance to adjust and plan for it come playoff time...... I mean he was running VERY ILLOGICAL defensive plays against this pass heavy team.
As the rule of thumb goes: a GOOD general never uses the same strategy twice on an enemy ! I've heard before that Pittsburgh uses a different style of play for the playoffs, lets HOPE that this is whats going on !

Whodis
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM

I agree Rick

If we see NE again we won't have much of a shot if we sit back on D. On the other hand there aren't any teams out there that we put away playing "soft" defense. I hope this is a permanent change.

I've surrendered to the fact our offense will not be that good. Ben just needs to keep his mistakes limited and rise when needed.

Set-Man
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
This was the defense we saw the first 4 games of the season. I hate the soft cover crap they play because a team with a decent qback can pick them apart with short crossing routes all day (ie: Brees, Marsha, etc). And I mean all day.

The Steelers D needs to be aggressive. They will give up the occasional deep pass because the Blitz will be picked up but it makes them tougher and more unpredictable.

Troy was roving around near the line of scrimmage again and that made me happy. He hasn't been making a ton of plays in the secondary recently.

Beating the Ravens was sweet. We need to win the rest of our games to try to keep them out of the playoffs!!