PDA

View Full Version : Update: McClain fined 40k; Ngata fined 15k

MDSteel15
12-06-2010, 06:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5892151

SteelCityMom
12-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I had no doubt that he would be. I just wonder how much it's going to be. Probably 25k, but I'm hoping for 50.

SteelCityMom
12-06-2010, 06:10 PM
Apparently...he might still be suspended as well.

Posted: 4:56 pm EST December 6, 2010

PITTSBURGH -- Channel 11 News has confirmed through the National Football League that Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain will be fined for a violent hit on Steelers' Heath Miller.
NFL spokesman Cory Rush told Channel 11 News that it remains a possibility that McClain could also be suspended for the hit that snapped Miller's head and neck backwards.
Miller suffered a concussion during the Sunday night matchup and was removed from the game.
McClain was not penalized for the hit during the game.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/26038545/detail.html

GMU Steeler
12-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Just hope that Heath makes a full recovery. He's one of my favorite players on the team. Glad he's being fined for this. It's only fair.

MDSteel15
12-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Just hope that Heath makes a full recovery. He's one of my favorite players on the team. Glad he's being fined for this. It's only fair.

Amen

bobby jr
12-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Since they haven't suspended Harrison they won't suspend Mclain for a first offense.

toughsticks87
12-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Better be at least 50k.

MDSteel15
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Since they haven't suspended Harrison they won't suspend Mclain for a first offense.

You are insane.. At least the people Silverback hit eaither had the ball or a split second before had the ball! Heath was laid out, defenseless without the ball! And that other P.O.S. that hit Ben in the nose should be fined just for the fact that the ***** officials didn't throw a flag for the shot to the head!!! G.D. trolls :banging:

Merchant
12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
McClain got fined 40K and Ngata got fined 15K, Adam Schefter just reported it.

MDSteel15
12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Probably because the Ravens were backing the Steelers about Harrison having a red flag on him!

lionslicer
12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
McClain got fined 40K and Ngata got fined 15K, Adam Schefter just reported it.

I was about to say that :P

As I agree with Ravens fans McClain shouldn't have been fined, as I don't believe harrison should have been fined. But the NFL should be consistant and seeing Ravens fans angry is pretty awesome.

Merchant
12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I was about to say that :P

As I agree with Ravens fans McClain shouldn't have been fined, as I don't believe harrison should have been fined. But the NFL should be consistant and seeing Ravens fans angry is pretty awesome.

SHOULDN'T have been fined?? What are you smoking.. that was the DEFINITION of a hit on a defenseless receiver.

lionslicer
12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
SHOULDN'T have been fined?? What are you smoking.. that was the DEFINITION of a hit on a defenseless receiver.

When ryan clark hit a defenseless reciever with his shoulder and got a penalty everyone on this forum called for the refs head.... The rule changed mid season, it was you can't lead with your helmet on a defenseless reciever, they changed it to you can't lead with your shoulder or forearm(I want to call this the Harrison rule).

I feel bad for Heath, the play should have been flagged, but fined? No. I'd rather no one get fined for hitting someone with their shoulder.

24seven
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
If he hadn't been fined I may have lost all faith in the NFL. That was
one of the most vicious hits I have ever seen. Completely defenseless.....I prayed instantly hoping he hadn't broke his back or neck. Heathe is such a great athlete I'm sure that is all that saved him. So glad he got fined. That he was a raven was a bonus....

mesaSteeler
12-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Two Ravens fined for seperate hits against the Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_712509.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 6, 2010

Two Ravens have been fined a total of $55,000 for seperate hits in the Steelers' 13-10 win at Baltimore Sunday night.

Linebacker Jameel McClain has been fined $40,000 for a helmet to helmet hit that knocked Steelers tight end Heath Miller out of the game with a concussion. Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata has been docked $15,000 for inadvertently hitting Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the face and breaking his nose.

Neither play resulted in a penalty.

Roethlisberger has surgery today and is expected to play Sunday against the visiting Ravens. Miller's status is uncertain as he will have to pass a battery of neurological tests before the sixth-year veteran is cleared to return.

According to a league spokesman McClain was fined for an illegal helmet to helmet hit while Ngata was fined for hitting a quarterback in the head while the latter was in a defenseless position

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

(Remember the pregame interview with Harbaugh where he said he was totally in favor of the new rules and how there "only one right way to play the game". Well maybe he f'n hypocrite Harbaugh should teach his players that there is "only one right way to play the game". He's right behind Belicheat on my sh*t list. - mesa)

Whodis
12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
When ryan clark hit a defenseless reciever with his shoulder and got a penalty everyone on this forum called for the refs head.... The rule changed mid season, it was you can't lead with your helmet on a defenseless reciever, they changed it to you can't lead with your shoulder or forearm(I want to call this the Harrison rule).

I feel bad for Heath, the play should have been flagged, but fined? No. I'd rather no one get fined for hitting someone with their shoulder.

You can't be in the middle with this. Either the fines are a fair thing or they are bull$hit. The Ngata fine is total garbage and it's the NFL saying "look Pittsburgh, we're not targeting you". You can't complain about the treatment of the Steelers in one breath and call out Ratbirds in another.

If teams stick together and say fines like Ngatas are BS it will hopefully lose a little teeth when we see flags flying if we see Brady.

SteelCityMom
12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I didn't think the Ngata fine was deserved, but I suppose I commend the league for being consistent for once. We all know if a Steelers D man...or even Ngata himself...did that to Brady or Manning there would be hell to pay.

I don't think McClain's hit was intentional either...and a few years ago I wouldn't care if he was fined or not. But again, it's nice to see a little consistency for once.

steeltheone
12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
They are ruining the sport!!!!

TRH
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't think McClain should have been fined at all either. But that said....Harrison shouldn't have been fined either.
The problem is the fines are not consistent in amount nor is flag-throwing consistent. You have huge wavering punishments thrown around out there no consistency whatsoever.

That particular play....if there are going to be fines dished out....i would guess should be coming in around the 75K mark or possibly more. One reason is the recklessness shown by McClain (flying in there like that, helmet first, when Heath doesn't even have the ball...unacceptable), not just the helmet hit, and the outcome that could have resulted. When I saw the replay, i winced, and both me and my wife both said immediately "he's never going to walk again, he's paralyzed neck-down". Its a major miracle he walked away with only a concussion.

TRH
12-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I didn't think the Ngata fine was deserved, but I suppose I commend the league for being consistent for once. We all know if a Steelers D man...or even Ngata himself...did that to Brady or Manning there would be hell to pay.

I don't think McClain's hit was intentional either...and a few years ago I wouldn't care if he was fined or not. But again, it's nice to see a little consistency for once.

I dont' know why they even bothered with the Ngata fine. 15K is barely anything, he probably won't even notice the deduction. Really i don't think he should be fined anyways....his hand getting inside Ben's helmet was nothing but accidental, really.

lionslicer
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I dont' know why they even bothered with the Ngata fine. 15K is barely anything, he probably won't even notice the deduction. Really i don't think he should be fined anyways....his hand getting inside Ben's helmet was nothing but accidental, really.

Theres a rule that players hands can not touch quarterbacks helmets, accidental or not. A lot of people complaiend about Ben not getting certain calls the past few weeks and how hes treated differently than other quarterbacks which explains the fine in my opinion.

LVSteelersfan
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
The hit that Ben took in the face is absolutely, totally illegal. It does not matter if it is inadvertent or not. I think the fine was not enough when you compare it to the one Harrison put on Fitzpatrick which was not illegal despite what they said. That was a perfect form tackle as was the one against Oakland.

The other hit deserves a suspension. Plain and simple. It was a blatant, on purpose hit on a defenseless player without the ball. He should have gotten the same fine Harrison did for that hit on Assoquoi.

SH-Rock
12-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Well at least we got something, the hit by Suggs could've also been fined, but I'm not complaining.

BigRick
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM

You are absolutely right. A few weeks back when the Dolts played the Texans a DL mans hand barely brushed the back of Mannings helmet. hey couldn't throw the flag fast enough. If he had Manning like Ngata hit Ben they would have crucified him. :banging:

SoCalFan
12-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Gnata gets paid well,that 15k is like me paying a $40 parking ticket!:poop::poop::poop:

lionslicer
12-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Gnata gets paid well,that 15k is like me paying a $40 parking ticket!:poop::poop::poop:

Cowher suggested fines should be percentages of a players salary. So its fair for everyone because a 20k fine on someone like Woodley whos base is 550k isn't as fair as a 20k fine on someone who's base salary is like 3 mil.

jjpro11
12-06-2010, 11:53 PM
the problem with all this is we are getting called for everything that other teams are getting away with... plain and simple. no matter where you stand on what is and what isn't a penalty, we have been getting royally ****ed non-stop for 4 weeks straight now. when it comes to 15 yard personal fouls, we are getting called for everything in the book, and other teams aren't getting called for a single thing. clearly there is a double-standard, targeting, or whatever you want to call it going on.

steve314
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
the problem with all this is we are getting called for everything that other teams are getting away with... plain and simple. no matter where you stand on what is and what isn't a penalty, we have been getting royally ****ed non-stop for 4 weeks straight now. when it comes to 15 yard personal fouls, we are getting called for everything in the book, and other teams aren't getting called for a single thing. clearly there is a double-standard, targeting, or whatever you want to call it going on.

Agreed. All these financial penalties are fine, but until the 15-yarders even out, this is not cool, whether it's a conspiracy, or, more likely, the game moving too fast for the officials who then have to go on instinct (i.e. reputation). Why not make these personal fouls reviewable?

Farrior_roirraW
12-07-2010, 12:35 AM

I just think the refs are inconsistent. Suh got a personal foul for just tackling Cutler. :noidea:

Steelerfan58
12-07-2010, 01:02 AM
There fining the life out of this Sport, these guys are big boys that know what risk there taking going out on that field. The NFL is simply trying to pander to there new rising demographics the new fans that like high scoring soft hitting air ball and the female fans that buy more and more merchandise each year.
I personally am sick about how there trying to neuter this sport just like every thing else in our soft society.

The guy that hit Miller was out of line and should have been flagged and ejected from the game period end of story. enough with this fine crap let them play the damn game. There no flow to these games any more I swear the refs want camera time or they are told to toss a flag to get some tv adds in.

The game we saw on Sunday may very well have been the last real NFL game you will ever see if this keeps up.

jjpro11
12-07-2010, 01:04 AM
I just think the refs are inconsistent. Suh got a personal foul for just tackling Cutler. :noidea:

inconsistent for 4 straight games, with 4 different referee crews i am assuming? highly unlikely.

Fire Arians
12-07-2010, 01:08 AM
mcclain's fine was deserved but i don't think ngata should have been fined. that hit to the face looked accidental. probably the 15k is going to ben's hospital visit though lol.

TRH
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM

I don't think McClain's hit was intentional either....but i do have a problem with it....i've watched the replays over and over and he just flies in there completely reckless and he was going in head-first. Thats just asking for trouble and almost sure to induce major injury on somebody.
At least Harrison's hits, although very hard and borderline of what the league is wanting to stop, are well-calculated and thoroughly executed....but never in a reckless and out of control manner like the hit on Heath.

ZoneBlitzer
12-07-2010, 01:53 AM
mcclain's fine was deserved but i don't think ngata should have been fined. that hit to the face looked accidental. probably the 15k is going to ben's hospital visit though lol.

That wasn't accidental. These guys know what they're doing. They get their shots in when they can.

SteelCityRules
12-07-2010, 02:18 AM

Agreed. I personally, wouldn't call them to begin w/, but, if you call the Steelers for every single fricking call, call it FAIR!!!!! Not to mention that I see holding on Harrison many, many plays that aren't called. I know, I know, we all see it..................except the refs. Or, the choose not to. Who knows? I'm annoyed tonight. lol

sharkweek
12-07-2010, 04:14 AM

Harrison's worst hits were before the rule changes and all of his fined hits were far less malicious than this hit. There's no excuse on this one.

doesn't matter, you can accidentally hit someone with your car that doesn't mean you're not at fault and don't have to pay

besides, incidental face masks are automatic 15 yard penalties with the rule change that took away the 5 yard version, and Ben had two obvious ones including the one that broke his nose, either one should have drawn a flag but none were thrown, and that was the biggest insult. I don't really care about the fines, I want the flags, however at least fines are something of a gesture that say there should have been something done.

SacknificentStew56
12-07-2010, 04:57 AM
McClain came from clear view of the ball hitting the turf and he still unloaded on Heath. 50K should've been his fine.

Troyistheman
12-07-2010, 05:34 AM
[(Remember the pregame interview with Harbaugh where he said he was totally in favor of the new rules and how there "only one right way to play the game". Well maybe he f'n hypocrite Harbaugh should teach his players that there is "only one right way to play the game". He's right behind Belicheat on my sh*t list. - mesa)[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. His little speach pregame made me hate the ratbirds even more. What a HYPOCRITE!!!

Tulsa
12-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Ngata shouldn't have been fined. I would rather see the official fined on the Ngata hit for not throwing the flag.