PDA

View Full Version : Beating NE in the playoffs

ETL
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm watching Brady do to the Jets what he did to us. And if everything plays out there is a good chance we will see NE again in the playoffs. We need to plan now.

NE plays a spread offense when they play us. They use two athletic TEs and a scat back in Woodhead and Wes Welker to run their offense. They know that in general there will be lots of pressure when they play the Steelers so Brady rarely holds the ball long. This is how they avoid sacks and pressure on the QB is useless if the offensive game plan is to get rid of the ball really quick. The TEs give Brady a large target and the quick WRs who are very smart and read the blitz on their own give Brady at least one open receiver on a blitz. That's a hard opponent to beat and the Jets are realizing it tonight.

Here are some adjustmentz that I would make.

1. We need to go athletic - especially to be able to run and cover the two TEs. I would take out Casey Hampton and play 5 LBs with Larry Foote as a starter. I would take this gamble and dare NE to run and hope that our athletic LBs can make the tackles.

2. Brady needs to be hit. Even if it's a late hit, and costs us 15 yards, we need him to know that football is a physical game.

3. We need to shorten the game. Somehow, we need the offense to be successful running the ball and keep the clock running.

4. We need new blitzes. If we don't blitz, we're toast. We need LeBeau to create new blitzes. I was thinking that uneven blitzes where we send three guys in on one side would be an idea.

5. Everone in the secondary need to have identical hair styles like polamalu.

Any other constructive thought are welcome

StainlessStill
12-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I heard Lee Harvey Oswald is really still alive working under Government cover up. I say we hire him. I'm sure we can get somebody in a suite to by a ticket for him when the time comes, then he'll do the rest.

Boom...boomboom on Brady. DONE. Steelers win 69-3!:thumbsup:

Merchant
12-06-2010, 10:50 PM
I think people are looking a little too much into that earlier Pats/Steelers game. Every team once in a while simply has a TERRIBLE game.. Jets had it tonight, Pats had it in the playoffs last season against Baltimore, we had it a month ago against NE. If it wasn't for a few drops in the endzone it might've been a different story too.

Coming into tonight's game, the pats had the WORST defense in terms of yardage allowed in the NFL. Ben is our greatest asset if there was a rematch in the playoffs. He needs to light those guys up and put up points. If the offense comes through, the defense just needs to make a few stops and we come away with the W.

tony hipchest
12-06-2010, 10:59 PM

:huh: you wouldnt make any offensive adjustments?

scoring some points before you are down by 4 td's would help.

BigRick
12-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I heard Lee Harvey Oswald is really still alive working under Government cover up. I say we hire him. I'm sure we can get somebody in a suite to by a ticket for him when the time comes, then he'll do the rest.

Boom...boomboom on Brady. DONE. Steelers win 69-3!:thumbsup:

Maybe we could get a package deal and get rid of a couple of other assholes. We all know who would be next after Brady. :rofl:

OX1947
12-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Asa competitor, I want the Pats in the playoffs. Its the only thing left for this team to do. Beat them in the playoffs.

steeltheone
12-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Larry Foote couldn't cover my grandmother and Farrior isn't much better.

MattsMe
12-06-2010, 11:57 PM
They remind me of the Colts in '05. No one thought we could beat them in the postseason either.

tony hipchest
12-07-2010, 12:02 AM
... and Farrior isn't much better.

im so sick of hearing this. it makes steelerfans sound ignorant.

who hasnt farrior beena ble to cover this season.

you know he is an ILB and not a CB, right?

how come the ravens didnt match him up on ray rice all night and burn us if he is so ineffective and he is so exploitable?

see anyone run on him lately?

:banging:

seriously... some specific examples would be greatly appreciated, so i can see the light.

Fire Arians
12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Larry Foote couldn't cover my grandmother and Farrior isn't much better.

farrior has been having himself a good season.

iceman000123
12-07-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm not completely sold on the PATS yet. Yea they just completely BEAT UP the Jets but now lets look at the Jets for a moment, wins over Browns, Texans, Bills, Vikings. All teams with losing records. They've beaten the PATs and the Dolphins. Well we obviously just saw what should have happened back in week 2. They have the 5th easier schedule. So it's not such a big deal the PATS destroying them like they did. If it comes down to us playing the PATS I say bring it on! :tt02:

Fire Arians
12-07-2010, 12:09 AM
i dunno i never feel comfortable in the steelers vs brady matchup. we NEVER win against him and it's hard to be optimistic about meeting them in the playoffs again.

i will hope for a win but will not expect it.

TRH
12-07-2010, 12:22 AM
i don't see us even coming close to beating the Patriots this year. First off....if you think our offense scoring 13, 16 points will get a win....hell that won't even be satisfactory against the Pats in one half.
Secondly....A healthy Brady will KILL us on those short passes...short passes....short passes. We try and cover inside, he'll throw 7 yard screens. We cover outside, he'll kill us on those short, immediate inside slants. There would have to be a MAJOR overhaul and game plan for us to even put a dent in that.
The only way i see us having a chance, is for the D to be in Brady's face all night long, every down, aggressive/almost animal-like and i mean throwing heavy blitzes.
Brady's a bit like Flacco. He's great when he has all day back there to throw....but when you're in his face, he's nervous, flustered and his true skills that all the other QB's have to deal with (leaky o-lines, blitzes, etc) shows.

ZoneBlitzer
12-07-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm pretty much sold on the Pats. They are on the verge of rebooting their dynasty. They don't give a crap about player loyalty and have dispensed with the pricey expendables to garner a plethora of coveted draft picks. They will own the draft next year - I mean that literally. This year they will go deep. Perhaps the SB. They will be an incredibly tough out on their turf. They are way better than that Colts team of a few years ago. They are better coached and are loaded with athletic players who are smart. If the Steelers did get to meet them, they would have to make it their M.O. to get to Brady at all costs to even have a sniff of a chance.

Patriotist
12-07-2010, 02:07 AM
My favorite moment of tonights game was when they panned to the sidelines when we were up by 31 or 38 points. Belichick gathered the entire team around him. You could see traces of smiles everywhere. I thought it was beautiful and it really seems like this infux of youth is exactly what the Pats needed. Belichick has taken these young kids under his wing and he seems to be enjoying every bit of it.

Get out with that "don't give a crap about player loyalty".

SacknificentStew56
12-07-2010, 04:14 AM
I hate those little short dump offs to their backs which pick up huge gains for them. And no other QB that I can remember has ever turned his back on our defense and didn't find himself getting up off the field with a turf visor. Something needs to be done to figure out how to beat Brady. Even if it means breaking down what the Stains did to the Cheats. Hopefully, this can be a case of how we lost to the Colts in 05 and crushed them in the playoffs.

OX1947
12-07-2010, 04:18 AM
Pressure is what won the in 2005 against the Colts. If they do not get to Brady, he will do what he has been doing. I think the only way the steelers beat them is if they throw something so unique, that it puzzles the team. That and the Steelers need to keep Brady off the field. I want the Pats. Steelers need to avenge their playoff loses to them.

plenewken
12-07-2010, 06:09 AM
i don't see us even coming close to beating the Patriots this year. First off....if you think our offense scoring 13, 16 points will get a win....hell that won't even be satisfactory against the Pats in one half.
Secondly....A healthy Brady will KILL us on those short passes...short passes....short passes. We try and cover inside, he'll throw 7 yard screens. We cover outside, he'll kill us on those short, immediate inside slants. There would have to be a MAJOR overhaul and game plan for us to even put a dent in that.
The only way i see us having a chance, is for the D to be in Brady's face all night long, every down, aggressive/almost animal-like and i mean throwing heavy blitzes.
Brady's a bit like Flacco. He's great when he has all day back there to throw....but when you're in his face, he's nervous, flustered and his true skills that all the other QB's have to deal with (leaky o-lines, blitzes, etc) shows.

I don't see us beating the Pats at Gillette either, not with our offense. I believe our defense can do a much better job than what it did at HF but this won't matter if we can't put points on the board when it counts, not when the Pats are already out of reach and release the pressure.

ETL
12-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Wow, I was hoping for some constructive comments and not a eulogy. To some of you, we've already lost. We may as well not show up or play

The Steelers need to play a perfect game on both sides of the ball. No turnovers and win the time of possession

Rick5895
12-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Does anyone else here think that Lebeau was playing possum that first NE game. We sat back and saw what they have. Super Bowls are won in the playoffs not regular season.

We just had a bad game vs NE. It Happens.

Farrior is having one of his best seasons, Ben (considering the O Line and his injuries) is playing well and winning.

grward
12-07-2010, 07:12 AM

how come the ravens didnt match him up on ray rice all night and burn us if he is so ineffective and he is so exploitable?

seriously... some specific examples would be greatly appreciated, so i can see the light.

Well said! And I agree that making absurd comments about a player w/out any examples is getting old. During the Sunday night game, Farrior was all over the field! I saw him make a tackle by coming across the back field and taking down the runner (not making the tackle b/c the runner was on Farriors side). Even Collinsworth stated how Farrior just doesn't seem to age. Get a clue!

As for the purpose of this thread ... it would be great to have a late Christmas present by beating Brady into the ground during a playoff game on our way to the Super Bowl. :tt: Nothing would make us Steelers' fans happier I'm sure!

I think a main adjustment would be for our receivers to STOP dropping passes! It's happening every game. Yes, overall they are doing well and we are still managing to win most of our games. But the dropped passes, if caught, during the Cheatiots and Saints games could have made a huge difference. SO PLEASE CATCH THE BALL! Plus all the adjustments everyone else said. :applaudit:

ETL
12-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Does anyone else here think that Lebeau was playing possum that first NE game. We sat back and saw what they have. Super Bowls are won in the playoffs not regular season.

We just had a bad game vs NE. It Happens.

Farrior is having one of his best seasons, Ben (considering the O Line and his injuries) is playing well and winning.

Count me as one who thought that LeBeau was playing "possum" as you say. I don't think he really was but I would link to think it so as it gives me some hope for a win in a future matchup.

steelerchad
12-07-2010, 07:48 AM

You are correct on this. Farrior has played well and I don't remember any team taking advantage of him in the passing game. He's been solid and I think people are remembering a few blown coverages and missed tackles from last year.

madtowndrunkard
12-07-2010, 08:41 AM
The ONLY way we will beat these guys in the playoffs is if we score early and often.....and pressure Brady. That was the recipe for beating the Colts back in 2005. IT is the only way to compete with that offense. Our defense cannot stop NE. They are built to beat the 3-4 and they have a QB perfect for it.

We will also need a perfect game out of our special teams. If the Pats have a short field we are done.

If we are able to get an early lead this will make our running game a factor and allow us to chew minutes off the clock.

The problem I see is so far this year our offense has not been able to consistently do anything. Ben does not look right (I thought this before his broken foot) We are out of sync offensively and its killing us. I have no faith that Arians can right the ship. His game plans are laughable. I think this is one of those years were we are the 2nd best team in the NFL. How many times has NE kept us out of a SB? GOD I hate that team.

Quasar
12-07-2010, 08:48 AM
The ONLY way we will beat these guys in the playoffs is if we score early and often.....and pressure Brady. That was the recipe for beating the Colts back in 2005. IT is the only way to compete with that offense. That Colts game in 2005 was competitive until Cowher called for an onside kick to start the 2nd half, which the Colts recovered. I remember thinking to myself that we could beat these guys in the playoffs. Sure enough, we did- and in their house.

All we have to do to beat the Patriots is execute: catch the passes, succeed at blitzing!

How many times has NE kept us out of a SB? GOD I hate that team.3 times: 1996, 2001 and 2004 seasons.

plenewken
12-07-2010, 08:50 AM

The problem was not defense as much as offense. We couldn't do anything offensively until the Pats released the pressure. We scored 3 friggin' pts in 3 quarters and we were 20 points behind when the 4th quarter started.

Rick5895
12-07-2010, 09:40 AM
The problem was not defense as much as offense. We couldn't do anything offensively until the Pats released the pressure. We scored 3 friggin' pts in 3 quarters and we were 20 points behind when the 4th quarter started.

Our offense was awful that game, however, we sat back in a zone coverage, did not send any pressure and were picked apart to the tune of over 30 points and well over 300 yards passing, in fact it even opened up the running lanes against us. That is what I am referring to. We showed nothing on defense (possum). If we get the opportunity to lay them again it will be a different story.

However I have a very unusual prediction. The Ratbirds will get the 5 or 6 seed and be forced to lay NE in the Divisional round. Setting us up for AFC championship part 2 at Hienz field with us playing the Ratbirds.

plenewken
12-07-2010, 09:54 AM
However I have a very unusual prediction. The Ratbirds will get the 5 or 6 seed and be forced to lay NE in the Divisional round. Setting us up for AFC championship part 2 at Hienz field with us playing the Ratbirds.

It's not a prediction, it's a pipe dream. LOL
The Ratbirds beating the Pats at Gillette?!? Not a chance, unless Brady, Welker, Branch, Woodhead and Gronkowski don't play.

SteelerEmpire
12-07-2010, 09:55 AM
This is just one of those games were the Jets didn't show up... we did it also... Patriots have used the SAME STRATEGY for 10 yrs... If the other teams have not figured them out BY NOW.... its their own fault.... God has no reward for a "sluggard"... Study these guys and then come with it.... simple....

saveus1011
12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I have a strange feeling we're going to end up with the two teams that knocked us out of the playoffs in non-Super Bowl years; the Jags and Pats.

steeltheone
12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Im not sure what you are watching. Farrior does fine against the run but is a step behind any receiver. He is 35 for gosh sakes...he is a 2 down linebacker.

cloppbeast
12-07-2010, 11:57 AM
To me it looks like if the Steelers are going to make the Super Bowl they're going to have to go through Foxboro. The only team I could see beating them is the Ravens, or the Chargers if they make it. Both are long shots.

If the Steelers make it that far and end up playing the Patriots, I don't see them winning. But if they do, it'll be because the offense performed better. Billicheck always seems to know how to game plan against Ben by pressuring him but also by keeping him in the pocket, making him throw quickly. I though Ben did a good job of doing just that against the Ravens, so hopefully that's something he keeps doing throughout the season.

Offensively the Steelers are going to have to pass the ball to set up the run. Sorry, but the Steelers just aren't a powerful running team anymore and aren't just going to put their will on an opponent. When they do run, they need to hand it to Redman a little bit more - even when it's not a short yardage situation.

Also, we need to use the no huddle offense. It worked at the end of the first game, which wasn't even against the prevent. Bilicheck's teams don't let up.

Honestly, I'm not so worried about the defense. The Patriots played an aggressive game offensively, and somehow didn't make many mistakes - no turnovers. (Meanwhile, the Steelers played a conservative game and gave away a turnover) I don't care how good Tom Brady is, as pass happy as the Patriots were, I think it's a lot to expect him not to turn the ball over in two games against one of the best defenses in the league.

It won't be a 13-10 win against the Patriots, so the Steelers will have to change their mindset a little bit. They'll need to play a little bit more aggressively. The Steelers will probably have to score at least 30 to win.

zulater
12-07-2010, 12:05 PM
To me it looks like if the Steelers are going to make the Super Bowl they're going to have to go through Foxboro. The only team I could see beating them is the Ravens, or the Chargers if they make it. Both are long shots.

If the Steelers make it that far and end up playing the Patriots, I don't see them winning. But if they do, it'll be because the offense performed better. Billicheck always seems to know how to game plan against Ben by pressuring him but also by keeping him in the pocket, making him throw quickly. I though Ben did a good job of doing just that against the Ravens, so hopefully that's something he keeps doing throughout the season.

Offensively the Steelers are going to have to pass the ball to set up the run. Sorry, but the Steelers just aren't a powerful running team anymore and aren't just going to put their will on an opponent. When they do run, they need to hand it to Redman a little bit more - even when it's not a short yardage situation.

Also, we need to use the no huddle offense. It worked at the end of the first game, which wasn't even against the prevent. Bilicheck's teams don't let up.

Honestly, I'm not so worried about the defense. The Patriots played an aggressive game offensively, and somehow didn't make many mistakes - no turnovers. (Meanwhile, the Steelers played a conservative game and gave away a turnover) I don't care how good Tom Brady is, as pass happy as the Patriots were, I think it's a lot to expect him not to turn the ball over in two games against one of the best defenses in the league.

It won't be a 13-10 win against the Patriots, so the Steelers will have to change their mindset a little bit. They'll need to play a little bit more aggressively. The Steelers will probably have to score at least 30 to win.

Good post. I think it comes down to the coaching staff going int the game with the mindset that we're down by about 13 points going in. In other words play with a sense urgency start to end. I think that's our best chance.

stb_steeler
12-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm watching Brady do to the Jets what he did to us. And if everything plays out there is a good chance we will see NE again in the playoffs. We need to plan now.

NE plays a spread offense when they play us. They use two athletic TEs and a scat back in Woodhead and Wes Welker to run their offense. They know that in general there will be lots of pressure when they play the Steelers so Brady rarely holds the ball long. This is how they avoid sacks and pressure on the QB is useless if the offensive game plan is to get rid of the ball really quick. The TEs give Brady a large target and the quick WRs who are very smart and read the blitz on their own give Brady at least one open receiver on a blitz. That's a hard opponent to beat and the Jets are realizing it tonight.

1. We need to go athletic - especially to be able to run and cover the two TEs. I would take out Casey Hampton and play 5 LBs with Larry Foote as a starter. I would take this gamble and dare NE to run and hope that our athletic LBs can make the tackles.

2. Brady needs to be hit. Even if it's a late hit, and costs us 15 yards, we need him to know that football is a physical game.

3. We need to shorten the game. Somehow, we need the offense to be successful running the ball and keep the clock running.

4. We need new blitzes. If we don't blitz, we're toast. We need LeBeau to create new blitzes. I was thinking that uneven blitzes where we send three guys in on one side would be an idea.

5. Everone in the secondary need to have identical hair styles like polamalu.

The real question is: Will Arians make the nessessary adjustments?

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm not completely sold on the PATS yet. Yea they just completely BEAT UP the Jets but now lets look at the Jets for a moment, wins over Browns, Texans, Bills, Vikings. All teams with losing records. They've beaten the PATs and the Dolphins. Well we obviously just saw what should have happened back in week 2. They have the 5th easier schedule. So it's not such a big deal the PATS destroying them like they did. If it comes down to us playing the PATS I say bring it on! :tt02:

Not sold on the Patsies? They have beaten the class of the AFC: Us, Balt. Jets, San Diego, Indy ( I know they aren't that good this year), but who else do they have to beat to prove that they are The best in NFL right now. I'm sorry but if we play them again they will beat us AGAIN!!!!

WeegiesWarriors
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
You've got to get constant pressure on Brady WITH 4 RUSHERS, and then use timely blitzes. If you can get pressure with 4 guys consistently, you can flood the underneath with coverage, and it doesn't allow his WR's running downfield enough time to create space.

This is how the Giants beat them. Brady is unbelievable standing tall in the pocket, but once you get him moving his arm is a rubber band... no strength to it.

If the Giants could do the impossible 3 years ago in the SB then anybody else can do the same this year, but the key is constant pressure every series with 4 rushers.

I don't care what the offense does if the above can be acheived the offense needs about 20-24 pts to win.

I'm not sure we'll even face the Pats if we win. Baltimore can beat NE.

Having Keisel back for a rematch will make a difference and if Aaron Smith can go in time for the playoffs that will be HUGE. Plus I'm hoping Ziggy is getting better with all the PT this year, but that is only icing on the cake if he is.

PhantomJB93
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Asa competitor, I want the Pats in the playoffs. Its the only thing left for this team to do. Beat them in the playoffs.

My thoughts exactly...in my opinion beating NE in the playoffs would be the next best thing to winning the Super Bowl. I cant think of a single game in recent years where we beat Brady, the only game we won against them Cassel played...

tanda10506
12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
What I'm about to say makes it sound easier then it is, but for a team like ours it shouldn't be that hard.

#1. Change up the 3-4 formation and BLITZ!!
#2. Recievers have to catch balls that hit them in there hands!
#3. I find myself shouting this many games "Will somebody lay a damn block"! (o line)

Everybody is saying we need to score points, the points will come if #2 and 3 are executed. That leaves it up to Troy Polamalu, a 5th linebacker, and LeBeau to get into the head of Brady and put some heat on him. That sounds possible right?

plenewken
12-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I cant think of a single game in recent years where we beat Brady, the only game we won against them Cassel played...

Exactly. The last game proved that we are not equipped to pose problems to a pass happy team with the best QB in the League. We're pretty good against the run but lousy against the pass. It's not new, it's been the case for many years

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
The last game was a lot closer than the score says. Once the passing offense was opened up, Ben went toe to toe with Brady. If the offense opens up the game throwing, we will have a chance. A couple big, stupid mistakes were what cost us last time....
26 yard missed field goal.
Dropped passes....this includes the INT-TD
Playing soft coverage rather than bumping at the line

The Steelers scored 23 points in the fourth quarter! These little tweaks can go a long way....the Steelers are a lot closer than NE might think.

caseydog
12-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Any offense that can throw quick, short and accurate passes can walk down the field against us. Brady and the Pats have figured that out, and they own us because of it.

That said, if our offense can outscore them, and we can control the clock and keep Brady off the field. We have a chance.

But Dick LeBeau is going to have to come up with something that Brady and the Pats are not prepared to face.

CD

xbroughneck
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM

While the Steelers (Arians) offensive production is a concern, the fact that the Patriots offensive line blocks so well for Brady is my biggest concern.

Yeah, Brady needs to get hit. Unfortunately, if we can't send Troy/Timmons consistently because they've got to cover, I don't see either Harrison or Woodley getting to Brady often enough to turn the tide of the game.

He was hit very seldom last night, and he was barely hit in the game against the Steelers.

1) Unless you can figure out how to defense the short pass AND get pressure on Brady you're going to simply have to outgun that team.

2) The only way that the Steelers can outgun the Patriots is when they go no huddle. I don't care how REPORTEDLY weak the Patriots secondary is. They looked good enough to beat both the Steelers and the Jets (the two OTHER best teams in the AFC) pretty soundly.

PLUS, it's going to be a game IN NEW ENGLAND, which means it's
1) definitely going to be cold
2) may be in a snow storm

Can you guys imagine the Steelers offense doing anything in a snow game the way that Bruce Arians had prepared his team? Seriously...if you've GOTTA run, I'm not sure we can.

Patriots got me VERY worried.

Dirtytowel
12-07-2010, 08:21 PM
I have a strange feeling we're going to end up with the two teams that knocked us out of the playoffs in non-Super Bowl years; the Jags and Pats.

I have the same intuition, and I think it will be the Pats. Gonna be a doozy.

pitt0wns
12-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Remeber our Superbowl year with Jerome?

Indy killed us in the regular season I believe it was a prime time game.

Then in the playoffs we killed them?

Does history repeat itself with? haha

Key to winning against Brady is pressure!

ETL
12-07-2010, 09:16 PM
PLUS, it's going to be a game IN NEW ENGLAND, which means it's
1) definitely going to be cold
2) may be in a snow storm

Patriots got me VERY worried.

I would submit that if the game was in a snowstorm, this would be an advantage for us. I would assume it would be low scoring and we would have a chance with one or two good drives.

thebus36idf
12-07-2010, 09:46 PM
We need to keep those recievers in front of us at all times and unload on them when they catch it!! The new NFL rules make this hard to do, but it has to be done. Most teams that have had success in the pass have ran the blitz, kept the recievers in those short slants and unload on them when they run. This will keep them on edge enough to start making mistakes. Let Brady complete those 4 yard dunks then I can't stress enough unload on them!!! Wear them out. When the Patriots are this good it's the only thing that works.

thebus36idf
12-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Why is it Bellicheck can always be coming up with more stuff for his offense, and defense to execute, and they do it week in and week out flawleessly. Arians can't get his lazy ass to come up with a game plan to put a little excitement, and to keep opposing defenses guessing. It makes you appreciate just how good Bellicheck is. And how good Ben really is and this team to keep on winning. Our defense is doing this pretty successfully. Arians needs to work harder on some screen plays like that welker screen, and some diferent looks for the defenses we face.

PhantomJB93
12-07-2010, 10:14 PM
The last game was a lot closer than the score says. Once the passing offense was opened up, Ben went toe to toe with Brady. If the offense opens up the game throwing, we will have a chance. A couple big, stupid mistakes were what cost us last time....
26 yard missed field goal.
Dropped passes....this includes the INT-TD
Playing soft coverage rather than bumping at the line

The Steelers scored 23 points in the fourth quarter! These little tweaks can go a long way....the Steelers are a lot closer than NE might think.

I disagree, the passing offense "opened up" for the fourth quarter when we were down like 3 scores...not that the Patriots defense is that great but I think the late offensive "success" was more due to garbage time than letting Ben take the reigns of the game...

ricardisimo
12-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Short passing game, long passing game, blitzing. Jesus H. Christ, you all sound just like Bruce Arians. Why doesn't anyone look at how they actually do get beat, like how the Browns did it: running the ball, over and over again. They sacked Brady only once, mind you. Time of possession: Browns 38:08, Pats 21:52. Keep Brady off of the field and you will win.

The Patriots' run D is suspect at best, but for some reason almost no one runs on them. :noidea: Part of it is this idea that you need to score a bajillion to beat them, and so you better start out slinging it. Part of it is having to play catch up in the fourth quarter because that plan didn't work so well for the first three. :doh:

Of course, Arians knows that Belichick knows that Bruce knows that Bill knows that he knows that this is exactly what they are going to be expecting, so he's going to do the exact opposite... And so we will lose.

tony hipchest
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Of course, Arians knows that Belichick knows that Bruce knows that Bill knows that he knows that this is exactly what they are going to be expecting, so he's going to do the exact opposite... And so we will lose.

:yep: spot on.

i am hoping that one of these days that he will accidentally do the opposite of what he thinks is the opposite, and we stumble accros a win by pure luck.

ZoneBlitzer
12-08-2010, 12:45 AM

Yes, that was, for me, the greatest upset of all time. It was almost a perfect game too until Bettis laid an egg. Just a little aside which is worthy of its own thread, I think it should be abundantly clear now (and it has been to me for some time) that Manning is highly over-rated. He's got happy feet. He's not fundamentally sound when he's dancing back there on the balls of his feet. Also, he is not a big game QB. He's just not. He sucks at it actually. Brady, on the other hand, is as clutch as they come. The NY Giants showed you can pull it off if you run the 4-3 with the front 4 bringing it big time. Few teams have that front 4 that can rush the QB like that. After that, I think comes down to beating the snot out of them. You have to be the more physical team and ko a few of these little waterbug type players. And somehow, someway, you got to clock Brady and make him cry.

zsheik22
12-08-2010, 07:08 AM
I think people are looking a little too much into that earlier Pats/Steelers game. Every team once in a while simply has a TERRIBLE game.. Jets had it tonight, Pats had it in the playoffs last season against Baltimore, we had it a month ago against NE. If it wasn't for a few drops in the endzone it might've been a different story too.

Coming into tonight's game, the pats had the WORST defense in terms of yardage allowed in the NFL. Ben is our greatest asset if there was a rematch in the playoffs. He needs to light those guys up and put up points. If the offense comes through, the defense just needs to make a few stops and we come away with the W.

JETS JETS JETS...so sick of hearing about the freaking jets

What have they done to garner anyones respect? They got handed the playoffs on a platter last season, beat the 2 weakest teams in the AFC and lost to the colts. Take a team like the steelers, who if given any crease are famous for causing havoc in the playoffs. When have the jets been known for anything like that?

Then they signed a bunch of players who were good. Ask Washington if because you have a good team on paper means you're a given for the superbowl.

The jets are more lucky than good, bottom line.

Whodis
12-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I don't think Lebeau was playing possum. Didn't the players go to him and ask to start blitzing?

Is it possible the genious Bruce Arians is playing "possum" and he will come out using a fullback, mixing up plays and changing tempo? I didn't think so either

The key to winning any game for the steelers is to play to our strength. That is unleashing this defense and never letting up on offense. It's all we have and if we lose at least we will leave it on the field.

Lastly, how can you blast Farrior? He is having a hell of a season. I'v seen almost every player get burnt on coverage this year. You can't just single out james

xbroughneck
12-08-2010, 09:48 AM

+1

But I know we ain't running the ball like we mean it. :coffee:

Rotorhead
12-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Well hopefully having a healthy A Smith will help our pass rush against the pats. The only way to beat them is to get pressure on Brady. I think our off should go to the no huddle early and often as well and for gods sake can Arians put together an off gameplan and a redzone gameplan for one dam game!

plenewken
12-08-2010, 01:56 PM

We killed them? Not exactly. When Bettis fumbled on the goal line, we were one "Immaculate Tackle" away from going home.

MDSteel15
12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't care how it gets done as long as it gets done!!! :mad:

GMU Steeler
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
The sweetest form of revenge would be to play them at their field in the AFC Championship game and beat them and beat them good. Hate that team.

Chadmagic
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
We beat NE quire handilly when we ended that 25 game winning streak. They have basically the same type of team then as they do now. We should wat h that games footage to see how we did it. As well as the games they list this year. Especially the game against the Browns. The Browns really just beat them up. They sacked and pressured Brady all day. If you do tgat you will win. As the NE defense isnt good. But their offense makes your team one dimensional and needing to put points up quick. So they concentrate on pass defense and less on run.
You can run against them! The prob is our offense blows. We can beat the Pats if we improve 3fold in that regard. Otherwise we will fall back into their trap.

We need to come out running the ball hard off tackle with a FB leading the way. Thats the keys to victory.

TRH
12-08-2010, 04:17 PM
everyone here saying "pressure is key" to winning, is absolutely correct. Heavy non-stop pressure.

I remember the year the Giants won the Super Bowl. All year long it was "Brady this, and Brady that, etc, etc, etc...". As i watched Pats game, i noticed opposing teams either not blitzing or sending 'weak' blitzes. I thought at the time that Brady was over-rated and was fortunate to have a solid-as-steel OL. I thought to myself "as soon as someone brings the pressure like they should, he's going to be exposed for what he is....a really avg to just-above-average QB'.
Sure enough, Super Bowl time came. The Giants were sending them in all game long....in his face. He looked nervous, confused (but this is what other QB's have to deal with.....hows it feel?).
And the Giants beat them and won the game on that pass play at the end. But they also physically kicked them around the entire game.
I knew it. This is the way.

thumper
12-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Pressure is key. But at this point, as well as their OL is playing, I don't
see us getting it done. Belichick is a warlock. Brady is a wizard.

ricardisimo
12-08-2010, 06:37 PM
:jerkit:

ZoneBlitzer
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
everyone here saying "pressure is key" to winning, is absolutely correct. Heavy non-stop pressure.

I remember the year the Giants won the Super Bowl. All year long it was "Brady this, and Brady that, etc, etc, etc...". As i watched Pats game, i noticed opposing teams either not blitzing or sending 'weak' blitzes. I thought at the time that Brady was over-rated and was fortunate to have a solid-as-steel OL. I thought to myself "as soon as someone brings the pressure like they should, he's going to be exposed for what he is....a really avg to just-above-average QB'.
Sure enough, Super Bowl time came. The Giants were sending them in all game long....in his face. He looked nervous, confused (but this is what other QB's have to deal with.....hows it feel?).
And the Giants beat them and won the game on that pass play at the end. But they also physically kicked them around the entire game.
I knew it. This is the way.

Giants had 4 down linemen who can get to the QB. They still do. This Chicago game could be interesting. He's not an average QB. All QB's look average when they're getting hurried and sacked. You got to give Brady props for his accuracy, patience, intelligence and leadership.

Rotorhead
12-09-2010, 06:15 PM
I will give him credit for his leadership right now. As far as the other stuff, it goes out the window at pressure. There are several other qb's ours included that don't get so rattled under pressure. Wish we could see Brady behind our Oline and see how good he is when his nose is broken or is punched or watch him try to beat Suggs like Ben. He would crumble (like manning is who I believe is a better QB).

MattsMe
12-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Pressure. Run the ball.

And change our defensive hand signals at half time.