PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents 2011: What do you think?

MDSteel15
12-07-2010, 11:19 AM
As far as I am concerned, after watching the past 3 weeks of football, this team needs top notch CB help and we need it now! Not in the future teachinig these young DBs as they come along, NOW!!!

Champ Bailey, DEN – Though several other corners have leapfrogged Bailey over the last couple years, he still remains one of the better consistent corners even at his age. He allowed no touchdowns in 2009 and while he’s set to earn $13 million this season, there have been no talks of a contract extension as far as we know. The Broncos may be waiting to see how Bailey performs this season before deciding what type of contract to offer him. Being that he doesn't have a ring, he may be easily persuaded to join at a cheaper tag!

Johnathan Joseph, CIN – The Bengals’ corners awakened last year to help lead a defense that played much better than expected. Joseph is physical and aggressive and is well on his way to developing into one of the league’s better corners. The team was expected to have extended either, or both, of their tandem this offseason, but nothing has yet materialized. So, why would he want to stay on a disfunctional loser?

Eric Wright, CLE – Wright, who will be 25 later this year, has already shown numerous signs that he will develop into a fine cornerback. He’s been a starter for the Browns since he was a rookie and has steadily progressed with each season. The organization is very high on Wright and will make him a priority next year after seeing how large a leap he takes this year. (See above even though they are progressing this season)

SoCalFan
12-07-2010, 11:21 AM
The Steelers are notorious for NOT going after free agents!

MDSteel15
12-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Offensive line is also a need!

Ryan Kalil, CAR – The Panthers will surely attempt to re-sign Kalil next offseason, but don’t expect the team to use the franchise tag on him. Offensive linemen are grouped together for the tag values, which mean Kalil would likely be making an average of the top 5 left tackles, the highest paid position on the line. Still, it shouldn’t be too difficult for the two sides to reach a deal.

Carl Nicks, NO – The Saints made Jahri Evans the league’s highest paid guard just recently, so it’ll be interesting to see what price tag Carl Nicks commands. Nicks is a good notch below Evans, though still one of the league’s best guards. If Nicks continues his annual improvement, can the Saints really afford to have two of the highest paid guards in the game and afford to re-sign one of their two left tackles?

Jared Gaither, BAL – Rumors out of Baltimore suggest that Gaither is very much on the block if the right offer comes around this offseason. With the Ravens looking to move Oher to the left and Gaither out for the right price, there’s a good possibility that Gaither moves on in free agency next year if he survives the season with Baltimore.

MDSteel15
12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

I know this, but stuff happens!

austinfrench76
12-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Not only does stuff happen but the Steelers have been known to go after the "right guy" type free agents. Ie..Farrior, Kevin Greene (old school) and Melwelde Moore. We would definitely go after someone at the right price.

Stillers43
12-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Eric Wright is terrible. He makes William Gay look good.

sharkweek
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM

true, but it is fun to think about

I'd love to see this in black and gold instead of orange and navy blue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n74qajrx4b4)

of course we beat the broncos the very next week :tt02:

thumper
12-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Champ Bailey is a name only. Stupid to sign old guys who
are getting paid on rep, not play. No way does Pgh sign anyone
like this, period.

tony hipchest
12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
heres what i think-

1) l. woodley
2) i. taylor
3) w. colon
4) m. spaeth
5) d. sepulveda

sure we can sign champ bailey and carl nicks at the expense of these 5 but how does that really help the team? replace ike with a much higher paid CB? :doh:

i say we look for bargains. we coulda had faneca for less than 2 million with the jets footing the rest of the bill (sort of a bargain move like flozell adams was). does anyone think we would be any worse with faneca back as opposed to the rotation of stapelton/urbick/essex/foster we have used the past 2 seasons?

MDSteel15
12-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Eric Wright is terrible. He makes William Gay look good.

That is only because their front line doesn't get pressure on the QB!

MDSteel15
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
heres what i think-

1) l. woodley
2) i. taylor
3) w. colon
4) m. spaeth
5) d. sepulveda

sure we can sign champ bailey and carl nicks at the expense of these 5 but how does that really help the team? replace ike with a much higher paid CB? :doh:

i say we look for bargains. we coulda had faneca for less than 2 million with the jets footing the rest of the bill (sort of a bargain move like flozell adams was). does anyone think we would be any worse with faneca back as opposed to the rotation of stapelton/urbick/essex/foster we have used the past 2 seasons?

Faneca IS available! I'd take him back for a season or 2... :popcorn:

pete74
12-08-2010, 01:42 PM
i think signing Colon, Woodley and Taylor are more important needs then shopping

tony hipchest
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
i think signing Colon, Woodley and Taylor are more important needs then shopping

agreed. some of the best available free agents out there are already on our team.

typical = business as usual.

pete74
12-08-2010, 01:46 PM
we need all 3. its rough to say but Woodley is probably the one i would lose on that list if i had to choose 1 but that would hurt bad. without Taylor we wouldnt be able to stop a team like arizona from passing all day on us. Colon is a decent lineman and if the price is right we can really use him to get our running game going. Woodley, well i dont have to explain why we need him

Set-Man
12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
we need all 3. its rough to say but Woodley is probably the one i would lose on that list if i had to choose 1 but that would hurt bad. without Taylor we wouldnt be able to stop a team like arizona from passing all day on us. Colon is a decent lineman and if the price is right we can really use him to get our running game going. Woodley, well i dont have to explain why we need him

For me it depends how the linebackers we drafted last year are doing. Can one of them "replace" Woodley? I doubt it. Woodley has the ability to collapse a pocket like no other. I think we would miss him a lot.

We need Ike "Stone Hands" Taylor.

Colon would be the one I would lose. He is okay but not stellar. Maybe its just the games I watched but he was always getting holding and false start penalties. I'm surprised but Flozell is actually doing okay.

Tough call.

If there was one free agent to get I would go after Jonathon Joseph. BMAC needs to go back to Arizona.....

MDSteel15
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM

If we signed Woodley, Colon and Taylor but lost some other players(because of age, injuries, etc...) who would be a good fit to come in and help? Believe me, I understand we need to sign our better free agents, but we also need to shore up holes!!!

steeltheone
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Woodley will cost to much....We have to many holes to fill

pete74
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
For me it depends how the linebackers we drafted last year are doing. Can one of them "replace" Woodley? I doubt it. Woodley has the ability to collapse a pocket like no other. I think we would miss him a lot.

We need Ike "Stone Hands" Taylor.

Colon would be the one I would lose. He is okay but not stellar. Maybe its just the games I watched but he was always getting holding and false start penalties. I'm surprised but Flozell is actually doing okay.

Tough call.

If there was one free agent to get I would go after Jonathon Joseph. BMAC needs to go back to Arizona.....

i would love to sign JJ over anyother free agent but its almost gurenteed the bengals will never let him go. if we kept taylor and had JJ on the other side we would be dominant on D. we would be able to rush extra players on every down because both corners could play man well enough. i would love to have another good corner. my main fear is taylor leaves for a big contract and were stuck with mcfadden and gay. we would be tore up all year

caseyviator
12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
gota keep woodly and ike i say,,,woodly is going to be a superstar imo...ike already is a superstar imo

PhantomJB93
12-09-2010, 06:42 PM
If Jonathan Joseph doesnt get signed, he would be a tremendous help to our defense if we were agressive enough to actually sign a free agent...