PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day Predictions

coachspeak33
04-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I have looked at dozens of mock drafts and have seen many of the same names for the Steelers 1st round selection. Which one of the following draft prospects would you like to see the Steelers take on Draft Day?

coachspeak33
04-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
Moss, WR, Miami
Mangold, C, Ohio State
Watson, DL, Michigan
Bing, S, USC
Giles, OL, Georgia

Midnightwriter1
04-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Shouldnt there be about 20 on this list ? lol

coachspeak33
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
maybe... but these are the names that keep popping up all over the internet. My hope is they trade up because it will be impossible for 10 rookies to make this team.... we need to trade up, but history tells us that the Steelers will stay at 32

Midnightwriter1
04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
for value sake, we may trade up in second round or end up with multiple picks 3 something like that .. I think if we did stay where we are at in first ... then ended up with 2 picks in 2nd possibly 3rd i would like that. There is some depth in this draft and i dont think we should move up in first if we dont really need to.. Depends.. the Steelers arent letting on if they are targeting one specific player or not ... if not, thne no need to move up

TasmanianTroy271
04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
1.) Bobby Carpenter
2.) Donte Whitner
3.) Hank Baskett

That's assuming we trade up in round 2, which I think/hope we will.

OX1947
04-05-2006, 03:28 PM
If there is some way we can get another high 1st rounder, gotta go for it. Getting a Bobby Carpenter and a Whitner or Bing together would be huge....

coachspeak33
04-07-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree whole-heartedly OX1947

MasterOfPuppets
04-07-2006, 07:15 PM
maybe... but these are the names that keep popping up all over the internet. My hope is they trade up because it will be impossible for 10 rookies to make this team.... we need to trade up, but history tells us that the Steelers will stay at 32
you keep saying trade up,so who do you wanna trade up for???

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I'd trade up for Santonio Holmes.

coachspeak33
04-10-2006, 09:35 AM
A lot of people on here grilled me for "questioning" the Steelers FO.... quite the contrary actually... I trust the talent evaluation of the FO... I just hate to see them draft for need at the end of round 1 and make a stretch on guys....

Examples:
Jamaine Stephens was a late round 1 pick ..... the 6 OT selected
Chad Scott was a late round 1 pick.... the 5 DB selected
Troy Edwards was a early/middle round 1 pick... the 3rd and final WR taken in round 1
Deon Figures was the 4th and final DB selected late in round 1

Obviously a few exceptions...
Charles Johnson middle/late round 1 pick... the 1st WR taken (but very weak WR draft that year... only 2 or 3 WR taken in first 40-45 picks
Casey Hampton middle/late round 1 pick... the 5 DT selected (unbelievable DT class including Seymore, Hampton and a slew of other above average DT's

I just dont want to see them stretch for a need pick at the end of round 1... I want them to identify their guy and make a serious bid to go get him.

If it were up to me Holmes is the best WR in the draft and could experience a slight draft day slide... it happens every year... Most mock drafts have him going anywhere from 12-18... if pick 18 or 19 rolls around and Holmes is there I would have no problem whatsoever with the Steelers sacrificing a sizeable chunk of this years 10 picks or even a pick or two from the 07 draft to move up and get him

But if the Steelers traded up to the around pick 20 (give or take 5 slots in either direction) and selected a LB or a OL, I would be just as happy... because I trust their talent eval.

Look at the reccent history of Steelers players who were among the first at their repsected positions to be selected:

Faneca - 1st OG selected in 98
Burress - 2nd WR selected
Miller - 1st TE drafted in 05
Ben - 3rd QB in 04
Polamalu - 1st S taken

When the Steelers are able to get one of the first few guys selected by position their batting average is amazing.... love to see it happen in 06!!!!

rowedf
04-10-2006, 02:44 PM
As posted in the other thread, I think your putting way too much emphasis on this theory of having 10 drafts and can only keep 7 ..... I mean that is what camp is used for, to evaluate your talent and see who stays ....theoretically they COULD keep all 10, realisticly, they won't. In the draft, I think quanity is underestimated ..... Take a solid player that fits his position of a fourth rounder, then take a shot with another 4th rounder and draft a project, then draft the best athlete out there with your last 4th rounder .... I like that logic better than rolling the dice to move up a handful of spots to draft a higher 1st rounder ..... Where the Steelers are at right now, I think the more players they can get in and evaluate, the better off they are. They don't have a glaring gap right now, why not use these extra picks to groom a guy or find that hidden gem.

Midnightwriter1
04-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Coach, you are picking out players that didnt work out, which there are some ... but as put in a previous post, there are many players that are starting now or did start that were picked up after the first two rounds as well. Is a crap shoot. In the first i dont really see a need in moving up any because all we are looking for is depth at so many positions that we really cant go wrong. There are so many players that would benifit this team that will be available in the first 2 rounds. The third round is where i would possibly see us moving up where the talent starts to get a little more thin and possibly giving up a 4th in order to do so if there is a player there that we really want.

The thing is, I dont know WHO the Steelers really want or if they feel there is an immediate need anywhere. Some thinlk WR, some RB, some LB, Some DB/S, and of course other OL. I really have no idea where they are goingto go which is a little different than recent years where they were definately targeting a certain position. I am sure if they feel there is one, they will do so as they have done in recent past.

Suitanim
04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
See how fluid the situation is, though? I was all over Mangold, now I'm laying off big time. I was thinking Holmes, but I'm hearing things about his ability to seperate that concern me.

I may be leaning towards a Safety in Rd 1 now, but I'm also hearing that Ryan Clark may actually be an upgrade over Hope because he's faster and has better tackling technique.

Back to Chad Jackson? Trade up and give away a pick (or 2 picks? Or a pick and a player?) for him? Then what? I really think that when you break it down, WR is the area with the most immediate need...but if you look at who the Steelers are looking at, it's RB's, G's OT's, Safety's and LB's, with only Demetrius Williams representing the WR position, but he's projected as a round 2 guy.

It's enough to drive a guy to drink!

Midnightwriter1
04-10-2006, 06:05 PM
"he's faster and has better tackling technique."

I knoweveryone has their own version on who and what we should do, but beause we are bringing back Logan and Stuvaints and signed Clark to a 4 year deal worth a lil bit of money.... i dont think we are going after the safety postion or else i think we would have just started Logan or Stuvaints and left clark alone. I have heard his tackling alone is much better than hope. Just as with about every position we have, we could pick one up for future but i think 1st round is too early with the addition of Clark. I am still going with DE/ LB ... Wr in second ( Stovall, Nance, or Marshall)

Suitanim
04-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Actually, after thinking about it, reading some other threads plus all the mocks that are out there, it really shows how good of a position the Steelers have put themselves in. Not only are they coming off a Championship season, they have secured enough of the players off that same team that there are no giant, obvious glaring holes that need filled (well, I still think WR is a big ???).

Barring major injury, we should be good next year...REAL good.

tony hipchest
04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
im liking the idea of a wr in the 2nd, 4th, and then m. robinson as a project right after that. with the thinking that these 3 picks increase youre odds of finding a gem without giving them away and trading up for a wr in the 1st. i think 1 wr and m. robinson would both make the roster adding significant depth and 2 special teams players.

special teams and quality back-ups may be our greatest need this offseason. as suit stated we have the luxory of taking the best player on the board with the 1st pick (and it may even be a wr) and slowly bringing him along like troy, ike, haggans or porter.

rowedf
04-10-2006, 08:00 PM
yeah, I agree with you Tony and for those reasons I would not mind seeing Moss drafted with that #1 spot, it would not only help the WR core but should be a boost to the special teams as well.

tony hipchest
04-10-2006, 08:14 PM
at this point if it was between moss, mangold, or carpenter, i think i wouldnt mind seeing one of the latter 2 drafted and sitting on them for a year or 2. both would help either fill future departures or be a barganing chip in future negotiations. a wr just helps fill an immediate need (moreso on special teams) that i feel can be adressed in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounds. i cant see a rookie wr contributing more than heath miller did last year. heath will have an even bigger impact if needed. they just need to write in and call the plays for him. kc has a killer passing game without even 1 wr of wards calibur.

Midnightwriter1
04-10-2006, 08:40 PM
If Moss is our best WR we can do, i would rather just stick with Wilson and go with what we got. I think Stovall or nance or marshall would would be a much better choice... take a player like J. Hester ( U) in the 4th WR/ CB SP 4.3 speed. I am just not high on Moss for a number 1 pick at WR. I think is much better value on the board than him and can get a better WR in 2nd IMO. =)

BigDude66687
04-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm thinking Brad Smith would be a much better project if you can get the nonsense out of his head that he's a qb cause he's damn fast and runs well with the ball.

Not real sold on the top end of the WideOut class, i think that we'll sit tight maybe draft Nance of Stovall in the 2nd, Safety shouldnt be a big concern Clark by all accounts will be an improvement of Hope, we could always use depth at the lines, but I think Carpenter will be our first rounder to replace porter who will not be resigned unless he takes a lot less than market value

coachspeak33
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Food for thought:
This late draft gem or "diamond in the rough" that many are wanting to spend a handful of middle/late round picks on to try and get.... a couple things to think about.
1. This is where the Steelers seperate themselves from many other NFL teams... the Steelers FO is just better at it than most - finding players mostly from middle/late rounds and turning them into starters in the future.
2. Most of the success stories we have in finding these "gems" did not contribute, other than special teams, until usually around their 3rd season.
3. So in order to see a big return on these late round steals, you have to stash them in the middle of your depth chart and give them time to mature and learn the pro game.... we cant stash too many of them with a nearly full roster.
Example - Hines Ward is a perenial pro bowler and he didnt contribute significantly in the passing game for a couple seasons.... It takes time.
4. So we wont know for sure by the end of camp who we "stole".
5. Hell, we have guys on the team right now who have not been starters in the NFL and we all love em and cant wait to see them get a shot as a starter (Kiesel, McFadden, Willie last year, etc)
6. The point is it takes time, like multiple seasons, to see a real return on late round steals (Kiesel is the perfect example).... even more to the point, usually you dont really know if they are a steal until much later on in their career.
7. Cowher doesnt like playing youngsters much anyway.... Troy P is arguably the best defender in the league and he couldnt sniff minutes when our safeties were lee flowers and mike logan!!!!!

We are going to have a hard time finding roster spots for all of the new late round gems those to develop a couple years.

I agree with Suit, I feel that WR is the one position where the hole in our depth chart lies closest to the starters.... Lee Mays, Nate Washington, Eugene Baker, Quincy Morgan, Walter Young... these are our only options to replace either of our starting WR's if an injury occured (and obviously in three WR sets)....

The nicest thing about our offensive production last year was not individual players specifically.... it was the balance of all our players production.... It helps our running game to have multiple passing options.... it helped a rookie TE in heath miller last year when he always had two legitimate threats at the WR position playing around him... I think we benefit way way more by adding a NFL ready WR, more than any other position on the field

The only WR that I see worthy of a round 1 selection is Holmes....
- Moss is not a good fit... he's got "the U" attitude & Rosenhaus as an agent
- Jackson scares me cause Florida WR's are not exactly proven commodities
- These are really only the three potential round 1 WR's

Haiku_Dirtt
04-11-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd trade up for Santonio Holmes.

We already spent $8 million + in signing bonuses at this position last year. I'm curious what we'd have to spend on a signing bonus for another receiver like Holmes.

Midnightwriter1
04-11-2006, 05:31 PM
i really hope we dont make that mistake and take a WR with first pick.

Suitanim
04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
I've already changed my mind on Holmes, but may change it back again...I will say this.

If Ward were to get hurt, our starting WR's would be:
Cedric Wilson
Quincy Morgan
Nate Washington
Lee Mays

clevestinks
04-12-2006, 12:11 PM
I read where some scouts are saying that Carpenter may be a better pro than Hawk, although you can always find someone to go against the grain