PDA

View Full Version : WR? do you really want one in the 1st round?

tony hipchest
04-05-2006, 11:01 AM
heres the wr's taken in the 1st rounds between 93-03 in the order they were picked. i only went up to 03 cause rookie wr usually need 3 years before theyre worth a crap anyways. this list of 42 wr pretty much looks like a list of whos who amongst wr busts. take out moulds, moss, harrison, galloway, glenn, keyshawn, plex, s. moss, j. walker and a johnson. (the 25% of 1st rounders turned out to be anything). only 1 year was their a better than 50% success rate- 96. i really liked the 97 draftclass, where teams batted .000. (steelers themselves have drafted 3 during this period and onl one really panned out and that was plex. hes gone and was never the leading wr. this says alot.

c. conway
s. dawkins
oj mcduffie

charles johnson
j. morton
tomas lewis
derrick alexander

m. westbrook
j. galloway
jj stokes

keyshawn
t. glenn
e. kennison
m. harrisson
e. moulds

i. hilliard
yatil green
reidel anthony
rae carruth

k dyson
r moss
m. nash

holt
boston
edwards

p. warrick
plaxico
travis taylor
sylvester morris
rj soward

d. terrell
k. robinson
r. gardner
s. moss
f. mitchell
r. wayne

donte stallworth
a. lelie
j walker

c. rogers
a. johnson
bryant johnson

TasmanianTroy271
04-05-2006, 03:13 PM
With the wide recievers coming out in this year draft class, HELLZ NO do I want a WR first round. The only Wide Reciever's I want (off the top of my head) are Stovall and Nance in round 2 and Baskett in round 3. People like Holmes, Jackson, and Moss either don't look good enough, or just aren't fit for the steelers. Plus, by taking one later, you cut out the huge contracts and the big-headedness.

MasterOfPuppets
04-05-2006, 06:46 PM
yeah,but tony,i'd imagine if you put a qb draft list up there it would look similiar.bust are hardly limited to the wr position.remember mark malone? 28 th pick overall. i'm glad that didn't didn't stop us from taking another qb in the 1st.

BigDude66687
04-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I agree with Taz, none of the 1st round WR prospects look that good, i'd much rather grab Stovall of Nance in Round 2

Suitanim
04-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm starting to waver a little...I may end up espousing selecting a Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes, even moving up if we have to. With a top tier QB, it's the Steelers job to provide him with explosive weapons with which to work.

As the draft gets closer, my faith in Cedric Wilson as a #2 is fading...

83-Steelers-43
04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm starting to waver a little...I may end up espousing selecting a Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes, even moving up if we have to. With a top tier QB, it's the Steelers job to provide him with explosive weapons with which to work.

As the draft gets closer, my faith in Cedric Wilson as a #2 is fading...

I'm with you on this one Suit. While Wilson did start to shine in the playoffs, I'm wondering if his regular season play will come back to haunt us next season. Eitherway, as I stated in another thread, I feel he would be more effective playing in the third slot compared to the second.

We have the big time QB we have been waiting for since Bradshaw, give him the tools to work with. I still want to see us grab a WR in the first round.

Suitanim
04-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I may change my mind again, but I doubt it. I was SURE we were going for Mangold at one point, so I hate to lock myself into a position, but...man, with Ward aging, it seems like we need to reload at that WR sooner or later...

BigDude66687
04-07-2006, 04:23 AM
I would like to Chad Jackson but i dont think he's that much better than Stovall or Nance who should be around at 64, i dont think we need another small quick wide out we need a big guy who can draw double teams off ward

coachspeak33
04-07-2006, 08:16 AM
I agree with suit, Ced as a #2 with only Quincy and Washington as his insurance.... Doesnt make me feel ultra confident. I cant imagine that after twenty-plus years with no real "face of the franchise" QB, that the Steelers FO is gonna run Ben out there with this core of WR's.
I'm not too thrilled about Chad Jackson or Sinorice Moss (pretty sure Drew Rosenhaus is his agent...not a good indicator that the Steelers will draft him). I think Holmes is could provide an immediate impact this season for several NFL teams, including the Steelers, but baring a draft day trade he wont be there at 22, let alone 32.

I just cant imagine any Steelers fans on Game 1 of the season being pumped about our current group of receivers....... just 1 injury during the season places Lee Mays on the field in 4 WR sets (UGH). We all know that Ben cant be thrilled.... "Hey Mr franchise QB, great work in your first two years, but, ahhh, were gonna replace two of your top three receivers with some NAIA/Div II all stars. Sound good Ben?"

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-07-2006, 08:21 AM
I don't care what round we draft him ,but yes we could use a big WR that will go up and get the ball.Just because they havea big body does not mean they have the heart to come down with it,aka Plexlax.

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
I know there's talk about Moss, but, yeah...Rosenhaus is an issue, and the Steelers typically don't draft from Thug U, either...

tony hipchest
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I know there's talk about Moss, but, yeah...Rosenhaus is an issue, and the Steelers typically don't draft from Thug U, either... the question is what would be his off season priorities? working out and developing chemistry with ben, or blazing a few blunts with edge, wearing wigs and novelty year 2000 sunglasses with portis, hunting lessons from s. talyor, and learning to pop wheelies on a crotch rocket with the souljah down on the beaches of miami. hell plex is even in on the mix of the mini michael irvin crew. scratch him off the list. jackson and holmes will probably be gone.

the steelers have proven that surrounding ben with weapons is a priority. (heath miller)

i would rather see the steelers draft a wr with their 2nd and possibly 4th than to trade up just to get one in the 1st.

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Depends on how important they deem the need, I think, and if they really zero in on someone. Considering that we've had no visits from any College WR's so far, it further muddies the water...

tony hipchest
04-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Updated: April 22, 2006, 8:35 PM ET
Fewer first-round gambles expected this year
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2414130

With the seventh overall selection in last year's draft, the Minnesota Vikings chose South Carolina wide receiver Troy Williamson, a player they paid $11.34 million in bonuses and first-year base salary. Williamson produced 24 catches, 372 yards and two touchdowns.

Twenty-eight picks later, with the third slot in the second round, the Philadelphia Eagles took University of Georgia wide receiver Reggie Brown. How did his rookie statistics compare to those of Williamson? Well, he caught 19 more passes, had 199 more receiving yards, and twice as many touchdown catches.

Oh, yeah, Brown cost the Eagles $9 million less in rookie pay than Williamson banked from the Vikings.

Now, that, folks, represents freakanomics, NFL-style, at least when it comes to rookie wide receivers. And it also represents the latest reminder that, with first-year pass catchers, occasionally you get more than what you paid for. But most times, history has demonstrated, you get a lot less, particularly when it comes to first-round selections at the position.

“ It's a very steep learning curve, and it takes some guys a year or two to overcome it. It's a very short list of guys who come in and make an immediate difference at the position.”
—Vikings head coach Brad Childress

"It hasn't exactly been much of a 'return on investment' position," said one NFC general manager whose team has, for the most part, managed to ignore the annual siren song that tempts franchises into investing on first-round wide receivers. "But every year, it seems, teams fall into the trap. There aren't many years where there haven't been, like, four, five, six wide receivers in the first round. And most of them simply do not produce as rookies. You wonder if teams even look at the numbers."

The first-year numbers from the six wide receivers chosen in the first round of the 2005 draft are thus: An average of 5.5 starts, 32.3 receptions, 430.5 yards and 2.7 touchdowns. Only one first-round wide receiver, Mark Clayton of the Baltimore Ravens, had more than 40 receptions. Just two others, Jacksonville's Matt Jones and Braylon Edwards of Cleveland, had more than 30 catches. In fairness, it should be pointed out that Edwards, the third overall choice in the 2005 draft, missed six games because of a torn right anterior cruciate ligament.

Such devastating injuries, however, are just one component of what has made drafting wide receivers in the first round a risky proposition.

The good news is that, given the lack of quality in this year's wide receiver class, the first-round gambles at the position should be relatively few and possibly altogether eliminated. Even better news for long suffering Detroit Lions fans: Team president Matt Millen, who has chosen first-round wide receivers in each of the last three drafts, will not extend the streak to four.

Most teams rate only two wide receivers, Santonio Holmes of Ohio State and Florida's Chad Jackson, as viable first-round prospects. A few clubs include mighty mite Sinorice Moss of Miami as a potential pick near the bottom of the first round. A few other franchises even think Jackson, rated as neck-and-neck with Holmes on many draft boards, could slide precipitously.

Always a daunting task, projecting wide receivers in this year's draft will be a challenging chore, scouts agree. The trick will be in determining which prospects best dovetail with a team's offensive system, and in deciding the right round in which to choose those players.

The dearth of top-shelf wide receivers this year should mean that more teams delay taking a player at the position until later in the draft, perhaps a sound strategy. Of the 14 rookie wide receivers who had 15 or more catches in 2005, six were chosen in the third round or later. One of the most effective rookies, Chris Henry of Cincinnati, was a third-round selection. Seventh-round choice LeRon McCoy of Arizona, had 18 receptions, just a half-dozen fewer than Williamson.

"In most years, people say the number of [first-round] wide receivers will go down, but this looks to be the year it really happens," said Carolina Panthers coach John Fox. "The top-end talent just isn't there this year at the position."

Not since 1992, when the lone wideout selected in the first round was Desmond Howard by Washington, have there been fewer than three first-round wide receivers. In the last 10 drafts, for instance, there have been an average of 4.5 first-round wide receivers. Since 1994, when the NFL reduced the draft to seven rounds, the average has been 4.3.

But there is virtually no way, short of several personnel directors' completely losing their senses, those first-round averages for wide receivers will be even remotely approximated this year.

Said Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome: "You'll still see overall numbers at the position through seven rounds, because there are always a lot of wide receivers on draft boards, and a lot get chosen. But the first round isn't going to be like it's been recently."

Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
Santonio Holmes, No. 4, could be one of just three WRs taken in the first round.
Holmes is arguably the most accomplished prospect at the position, a deep burner with terrific athleticism, but scouts worry about his size and propensity for drops. Jackson electrified scouts at the combine and has posted superb individual workouts, but the draft road is littered with Gators wide receivers who failed to live up to their billing. Moss is the brother of Redskins star Santana Moss, shares the same breathtaking quickness, but is just 5-foot-8 and playing a position where the profile has skewed toward bigger players.

While there doesn't figure to be the usual quota of first-round wide receivers, the rest of the first day will have the normal complement, and should include solid second- and third-round prospects such as Greg Jennings (Western Michigan), Demetrius Williams (Oregon), Maurice Stovall (Notre Dame), Derek Hagan (Arizona State), Brandon Williams (Central Florida) and Travis Wilson (Oklahoma), among others.

If history is any indicator, some of those players will perform better as rookies than the wide receivers who will be chosen in the fist round.

"It's just a difficult position to come into as a rookie and make a big impact," said Minnesota first-year head coach Brad Childress. "I don't think people outside the game appreciate the difficulty involved. I mean, you can talk about the speed of the game, and how different it is, but there are a lot of other things that contribute to the problems players have at the position. It's a very steep learning curve, and it takes some guys a year or two to overcome it. It's a very short list of guys who come in and make an immediate difference at the position."

A very short list, indeed, especially in terms of first-rounders.

Since 1990, there have been 60 wide receivers chosen in the first round and only four of them -- Joey Galloway (1995), Terry Glenn (1996), Randy Moss (1998) and Michael Clayton (2004) -- registered 1,000 yards as rookies. The only other wide receiver since 1990 to be chosen in any round and to post 1,000 yards in his debut campaign was Anquan Boldin in 2003. That's five wide receivers, out of the 546 selected since 1990, to have 1,000-yard rookie seasons.

The number of 1,000-yard rookie wideouts since 1970, the year of the NFL-AFL merger, is a mere nine. And that's counting 117 first-round wideouts and 1,421 total prospects chosen at the position. The average rookie production for first-round wide receivers since 1990 is just 7.4 starts, 34.5 catches, 474.5 yards and 3.1 touchdowns.

Len Pasquarelli

Suitanim
04-24-2006, 09:28 AM
In defense of Troy Williamson, I think he'll eventually be pretty good (It was no mystery that he was pretty raw). He has all the tools to make it, he just needs to learn the position at the pro level.

tony hipchest
04-25-2006, 03:24 PM
looks like next year will be a better year to find a bona fide #2 in the 1st round

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9392823/2

It's not even an issue about your size," Sinorice Moss said. "If you can play football, and you have the heart to go out and make plays, size doesn't matter."

It still matters to the scouts. They prefer the bigger receivers, but if they can get a small, tough guy who won't be bothered by the jam, that's okay, too.

In this draft, any receiver who they think can make plays is a good thing.

"Guys will be forced up because of the scarcity of the position," said the AFC offensive coordinator. "That's when mistakes happen. Teams have to really be careful with this class."

Fret not, though. The receiver group should be outstanding in 2007, particularly if a handful of juniors enter the draft.

Georgia Tech's Calvin Johnson, USC's Dwayne Jarrett, Tennessee's Robert Meacham and Ohio State's Ted Ginn Jr. are all juniors who can be top 10 receivers next year. In addition, Notre Dame's Jeff Samardzija and Washington State's Jason Hill should have a chance to go in the top 20.

So Holmes made a good decision. Heck, he might not have even been the first Ohio State receiver taken next year.