PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh Hypocrisy On Helmet To Helmet Fines

Atlanta Dan
12-08-2010, 09:17 AM
After our friend bobby jr weighed in on how John Harbaugh coaches proper tackling, John Harbaugh took this shot during a pre-game NBC interview with Bob Costas

“Going helmet-to-helmet or shoulder-to-helmet against defenseless players is no longer part of the game. There’s no question in my mind that our team has figured it out, most of the league has figured it out, and shortly everybody will figure it out,” Harbaugh said.

“It’s not that hard to figure out. You’ve got to respect each other. And I think that player safety is really important. And if you have enough respect for the guy you’re playing against, you’ll adhere to that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/08/john-harbaugh-supports-helmet-to-helmet-rules-except-when-theyre-applied-to-his-players/

That was pretty clearly a shot at the Steelers.

Of course that was followed by McClain's brutal helmet to helmet hit on Heath Miller, which the refs missed - the league office did not after Collinsworth raised hell about the hit when it happened and imposed a $40K fine

Now we hear this from the sanctimonious Coach Harbaugh

“I was shocked," Harbaugh said tonight on his weekly radio program. "He’s a first-time offender. Jameel,there was nothing he can do. I think the league understands that. I can’t imagine why they fined him so much.

"Jameel tried to go low. He did everything humanly possible to hit the tight end low. You fine a guy $40,000 for trying to apply the rule. He tried to do something that’s against the rule of physics. I say you're taking someone's money unfairly."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/John-Harbaugh-shocked-by-Jameel-McClains-40000-fine.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sort of like when James Harrison hit Massaquoi in the Cleveland game?

What a tool

Whodis
12-08-2010, 09:26 AM
"Jameel tried to go low. He did everything humanly possible to hit the tight end low. You fine a guy $40,000 for trying to apply the rule. He tried to do something thatís against the rule of physics. I say you're taking someone's money unfairly."[/I]

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/John-Harbaugh-shocked-by-Jameel-McClains-40000-fine.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sort of like when James Harrison hit Massaquoi in the Cleveland game?

What a tool

You can't have it both ways coach.....

It's funny that once the rule gets used against you it doesn't make sense. Being the coach of the Ravens it might have been wise to stay quiet or objective (as Suggs). I didn't think Harrison should have been fined for his hit on Massaquoi and I don't agree with the fines on the ratbirds.

iceman000123
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
But when Harrison does it, it somehow lies within the law of physics and it's strictly his fault. Yea makes perfect sense :chuckle: <== Insert sarcasm here]

steelerchad
12-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I was pissed when I watched his hollier than thou interview before the game. Now, seeing this is laughable. What a tool. First offernder.... Whatever......Sounds like a whiny baby when someone on his team gets caught.

sharkweek
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
If the hit wasn't so blatantly vicious and Miller didn't have his head snap back in abnormal fashion and sustain a concussion then he wouldn't have been fined as much

This is just like a fender bender vs. totaling your car. It doesn't matter if its your first time or not, totaling your car is going to cost you more, and either case will make a future accident cost more. If he was a repeat offender like Harrison he would have been fined a lot more than 40K. In live action I'll admit it didn't look to bad, although it was clearly helmet to helmet, but the replay makes it look like a miracle Heath was able to get up and walk away from it and not need to be carted off in spinal/neck braces.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that any player that knocks another player out of a game with a concussion on an obviously illegal hit like this should be ejected/suspended from games as long as the injured player isn't cleared to play. Screw fines and even penalties, that will surely stop the illegal hits if the NFL is so serious about it.

Third Rail
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Harbaugh, once again proving why he's the biggest asshole to coach a football team in the NFL.

I won't believe in karma until this douchebag coaches a losing season.

OX1947
12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Mr. "We gave it away" needs to wake the (bleep) up to his bullcrap. Troy TOOK it away. And Isaac Redman finished it...

saveus1011
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Something about this idiot always rubbed me the wrong way. I get why now. He's a -insert expletive-

GMU Steeler
12-08-2010, 11:34 AM
He's always come across as a huge jerk to me even before I heard about his pre-game comments. And I know all of here hate the Cowboys by and large but he made a similiar snarky comment about them last year. Remember because a friend of mine who is a Boys fan told me about it. He's a classic do as I say but as I do type. And I just heard about him getting mad at Ravens' fans who have questioned the play calling basically telling them to find another team to root for.

Whodis
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
If the hit wasn't so blatantly vicious and Miller didn't have his head snap back in abnormal fashion and sustain a concussion then he wouldn't have been fined as much

That being said, I'm of the opinion that any player that knocks another player out of a game with a concussion on an obviously illegal hit like this should be ejected/suspended from games as long as the injured player isn't cleared to play. Screw fines and even penalties, that will surely stop the illegal hits if the NFL is so serious about it.

I believe in the saying "Watch what you wish for"

The game is so fast it's hard to say what McClain saw.

Did he know Miller was going to drop down?
Did he know the ball wasn't caught?

IMHO these things can be said on many hits that have been highlights for us! Clark, Ward, Harrison and Polamalu have hit guys really hard at one point or another and I hate to see it taken away. Other then Meriweather's hit on Heap I will never back this BS.

MDSteel15
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Baltimorons...what do you expect? :noidea:

MDSteel15
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I believe in the saying "Watch what you wish for"

The game is so fast it's hard to say what McClain saw.

Did he know Miller was going to drop down?
Did he know the ball wasn't caught?

IMHO these things can be said on many hits that have been highlights for us! Clark, Ward, Harrison and Polamalu have hit guys really hard at one point or another and I hate to see it taken away. Other then Meriweather's hit on Heap I will never back this BS.

He didn't drop down he was f@*^^$ falling!!!

kirklandrules
12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Flakiness is a trait that runs strong in the male gene of the Harbaugh family. If you really would like to split hairs on this subject Ö Harrison hit Massaquoi low when that man intentionally ducked (to avoid the hit) and therefore, became 50% responsible for his own injuries. McClain hit Miller as Miller was being tackled from behind. The difference being that Miller isnít a girl and didnít chicken sh!t out on the play.

In the end, John Harbaugh = TOOL.

Set-Man
12-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I try not to call out other coaches very often but this guy is a total moron. I have seen him over his young career and he is very arrogant. Tomlin usually side-steps this line of questioning. He also trys to use a lot of long words in a quote that sounds great but actually means nothing. He is a master at that.

For all the complaints we have from time to time about Tomlin, I am glad he is our coach. We just need a new OC who can actually draw up new plays as opposed to the bubble screen and up the middle running plays.

realdeal
12-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks for posting this!! I saw the interview before the game and read his statement after the game!! What a freaking douche!!

ETL
12-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I confess that I thought he would be a good up and coming coach. But after the things he said after this game, mark my words: THIS DOUCHE BAG WILL NEVER EVER WIN A SUPER BOWL.

Belichick would never had said "we gave the game away". Tomlin would never say that they game the game away They would compliment his foes for outplaying them even if they did give the game away.

But this tool thinks that the other team isn't good enough to win but can only win by the graces of the Ravens. What a pompous a55hole. He will never win in this league.

BigRick
12-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Sure sings adifferent song when his players get hit in their pocketbook. :rofl:

jjpro11
12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Harbaugh is a nothing but a hypocrite jackass... same with his whole team of goons.

austinfrench76
12-08-2010, 11:14 PM
He was such a ****y d-bag in that interview because his team hadn't been hit yet. But, his player makes an absolutely bullshit, illegal hit and he defends it as if the fine is too stiff!!! F-off Ratbird!!!!

ETL
12-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Harbaugh is in the doghouse with his fans too.

In today's Baltimore Sun weblogs, he is quoted telling fans to go root for another team if you're not proud of the team after Sunday.

Meaning if you are a fan and have complaints about the way they play - then go root for another team.

I can never picture bellichick, tomlin or even Rex Ryan say this. But this pompous jerk is telling his fans that they don't know football so they have no basis to complain. And if they dare do complain, they should go root for another team. Words just escape me.

tony hipchest
12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Harbaugh is in the doghouse with his fans too.

I can never picture bellichick, tomlin or even Rex Ryan say this. But this pompous jerk is telling his fans that they don't know football so they have no basis to complain. And if they dare do complain, they should go root for another team. Words just escape me.

raven fans are idiots. they'll fall right back in line and go back to worshipping him.