PDA

View Full Version : a team much sadder than the Pirates

3 to be 4
04-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I had a great time today going to my first Royals game. Kauffman Stadium is absolutely beautiful. And last night the voters approved a measure to renavate (spelling??) both Kauffman and Arrowhead. Why, I have no idea. Right now its still much much much nicer than Fenway EVER was.

the only problem is that the Royals are hideous!!! they lost to the '27 Yankees, known as the Detroit Tigers, 14-3. their pitching blows. their lineup is even worse. Reggie Sanders is their cleanup hitter. they'll be extremly lucky to win 60 games this year. All you can do is watch the banners from 76,77,78,(division), 80 (pennant), and 85 (WS Champs) and try to imagine great teams playing there.

tony hipchest
04-05-2006, 09:42 PM
the pirates are the best team cause atleast they bring their players over on cool pirate ships instead of using them stupid, blow up, intertube rafts like all the other teams.

83-Steelers-43
04-05-2006, 11:36 PM
There is such a thing? A team worse than the Pirates? In my opinion, this is the most pathetic organization in sport. But hey, let's give Littlefield an extension and keep the media heat low on McClatchy....LOL. Then some wonder why.

Yeah, our ball park is about all we have going for us. Excellent ball park.

3 to be 4
04-06-2006, 07:57 AM
the Twins,A's, and Indians have proven you dont need to spend 125 million to have a winner. so owners and GM's in KC and Pittsburgh need to be held accountable.

BlackNGold203
04-06-2006, 08:38 AM
the Twins,A's, and Indians have proven you dont need to spend 125 million to have a winner. so owners and GM's in KC and Pittsburgh need to be held accountable.

Agreed...I'm sick of the Pirates crying the blues over being consistently outspent...enough already....you dont have to spend high...you have to spend smart...

I love Sean Casey...but Jeremy Burnitz?...this guy wears #3 and looks about as rotund as Babe Ruth....too bad he cant hit like him...

83-Steelers-43
04-06-2006, 08:59 AM
I think it's a combination of both management (which I have criticized) and the fact the league is pathetically managed. I was praying Cuban would buy this team for not only the money, but for his brains. Hopefully someday.

When I look at something like this...... http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2397625 , I have to shake my head.

SteelerDan43
04-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Agreed...I'm sick of the Pirates crying the blues over being consistently outspent...enough already....you dont have to spend high...you have to spend smart...

I love Sean Casey...but Jeremy Burnitz?...this guy wears #3 and looks about as rotund as Babe Ruth....too bad he cant hit like him...

Burnitz didnt make alot of sense considering we have the same guy in KKKKKraig Wilson

83-Steelers-43
04-07-2006, 10:01 PM
It's also very easy for fans that root for a team that do not have to see their team give away players when contract time is up because they can't pay them what the Yankees or Red Sox are willing to pay them. So basically, as already stated, it's a joke and I can't really see any pride in winning.

3 to be 4
04-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Its true. Yankee fans and Red Sox fans are very fortunate to have owners willing to spend the money. Its not in the MLB rulebook that the Yankees and Red Sox have to spend embarrassing amounts of money and the Pirates,Royals dont. Its that the owners of the Pirates and Royals etc.. cry poor and screw over the fans. In Boston this happened with the Bruins. Ownership cheapskated the fans that finally, after 30 years, the Bruins have become virtually ignored in a town they used to rule. the problem with the Pirates have nothing to do with the "rules". A Mark Cuban could come in and turn things around within 3years. Its ownership.

tony hipchest
04-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Its true. Yankee fans and Red Sox fans are very fortunate to have owners willing to spend the money. Its not in the MLB rulebook that the Yankees and Red Sox have to spend embarrassing amounts of money and the Pirates,Royals dont. Its that the owners of the Pirates and Royals etc.. cry poor and screw over the fans. In Boston this happened with the Bruins. Ownership cheapskated the fans that finally, after 30 years, the Bruins have become virtually ignored in a town they used to rule. the problem with the Pirates have nothing to do with the "rules". A Mark Cuban could come in and turn things around within 3years. Its ownership.
i see what your saying about m. cuban but its kinda like saying that if the college teams would play their basketball players more they would have a shot at beating the globetrotters. theres no way a baseball town of .5-1 mil people will ever pull in the tv revenues of nyc. so sure, if an owner wants to go into debt, and piss away their lifes work, they can field a winner in pittsburgh. it can be done. personally i wouldnt go $50 mil in the hole/ year to see the pirates win anything. neither would cuban or their current owner.

SteelerDan43
04-07-2006, 11:19 PM
7-6 L, two men on in the 9th and Burnitz loses the damn game with a strike out

tony hipchest
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
7-6 L, two men on in the 9th and Burnitz loses the damn game with a strike out

jeeeez. dont they get a day off here pretty soon?

SteelerDan43
04-07-2006, 11:58 PM
not untill the 20th

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 12:59 AM
0-5......:pity:

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 01:18 AM
See what could also solve this problem is what's called a salary cap. Football has one. The NHL recently installed the cap and the game is better off. Teams can actually compete. If there was a cap in baseball and the Pirates were still in this situation, I would put complete blame on Pirate management (much like what I'm doing with the Penguins as we speak). Hockey got the cap, we suck and in my opinion Craig Patrick should not be brought back after this season. But, I guess when your a fan of a team that has the millions to spend, this topic doesn't really matter.

3 to be 4
04-08-2006, 09:45 AM
See what could also solve this problem is what's called a salary cap. Football has one. The NHL recently installed the cap and the game is better off. Teams can actually compete. If there was a cap in baseball and the Pirates were still in this situation, I would put complete blame on Pirate management (much like what I'm doing with the Penguins as we speak). Hockey got the cap, we suck and in my opinion Craig Patrick should not be brought back after this season. But, I guess when your a fan of a team that has the millions to spend, this topic doesn't really matter.

well, it does because you seem to think your team is in a hopeless situation because of the "system" when that plays right into the hands of your greedy ownership. They want you to think that so that you dont blame them. But the A's and Twins and to some extent the Indians and White Sox have shown if you know what you are doing you can compete even with the system.
hold your ownership responsible. And the GM. Billy Beane and Theo Epstein could do a lot with your franchise even with limited $$$$. they know how to draft and evaluate talent.

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Once again, I'm not putting full blame on the way the league is managed. While I am and will continue to put the majority of the blame towards the state of the game, I'm also capable of realizing that Kevin McClatchy is a horrible owner.

It's a combination of the two, but in my opinion the lack of a cap makes the sport pathetically managed. Unless of course your a Red Sox or Yankees fan. Then it's great. People can claim they have the best fans in the game when they make the playoffs or win a world series every year. I wonder why an owner such as Steinbrenner is always against having a cap in the league? Hmmm...

SteelerDan43
04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
The real thieves are the Nuttings from WV, they actually own more of the team than McClatchy and they rarely if ever attend games. They are definatley in it for the money.
Here is an article that spells it out from last year near the All Star Announcement. Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05121/497194.stm)

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 12:05 PM
The real thieves are the Nuttings from WV, they actually own more of the team than McClatchy and they rarely if ever attend games. They are definatley in it for the money.
Here is an article that spells it out from last year near the All Star Announcement. Link (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05121/497194.stm)

Good point, the Nuttings are shady and they never comment in the media or attend games. Personally, I don't think it's greed that's McClatchy's problem, I just think he is a horrible business man who's daddy gave him everything in life and who has no idea what it means or how to go about owning a ML ball team.

SteelerDan43
04-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Well one thing Ive noticed about the Bucs is that we seem to have the pop we had been missing, through yesterday we had 7, tied for 6th in the league and Castillo just hit one today to get us back in the game

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 01:22 PM
The lack of the basic fundamentals is pretty sad.

SteelerDan43
04-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Each game this year has been lost on a mental breakdown. Whether it was poor plate discipline in a key situation with men on late in a game or bootin the ball like Torres did in the Brewers game

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 03:34 PM
And we have an 11-9 final. Pirates start the season 0-6. :rolleyes::pity:

Still don't see the point in Hernandez being on this roster. He's great at striking out. One of Tracy's boys. I still think Bautista should have stayed up here. That's when I question Littlefield. Duffy seems like he enjoys getting down 0-2 in the count. Burnitz looks horrible. Doumit looked like he never played a ML ball game before. Unreal.

SteelerDan43
04-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Bautista would still be behind Sanchez who played well today so even if he was on the roster he wouldnt get the playing time he needs... Also would the real Perez please stand up?!?!?

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 03:45 PM
They also say Bautista can play a pretty good out field. If you want to give that great Littlefield pick up in Burnitz a rest, he could get playing time there also. It's better than what I have seen the last six games.

As for Perez....ever since he kicked the laundry basket or whatever in the hell it was, I started to question his mental strength. He seems to get flustered very easily. Both Perez and Duffy I'm starting to question. More so in Perez. For me, this start doesn't come as much of a surprise because I did not and still do not see this team getting over .500 anytime soon, but this is pretty bad to put it very mildly.

tony hipchest
04-08-2006, 03:53 PM
im so glad they dont air these games in my area or i might have actually watched them. the sucky thing is they seem so close every game and every season just to give you enough hope for you to stick around only to be crushed in the long run.

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 03:57 PM
im so glad they dont air these games in my area or i might have actually watched them. the sucky thing is they seem so close every game and every season just to give you enough hope for you to stick around only to be crushed in the long run.

Normally I watch for the first few weeks just to see what the team looks like and because the season is just starting up. Then after a while I get tired of watching us lose night after night and then thankfully vacation time arrives. After fifteen years it's becoming a usual routine for me and I'm sure for many other locals. I've learned not to "stick around only to be crushed in the long run.".....lol.

I give the fans credit though, they still put a nice crowd in that ball park. Imagine what it would look like if they actually fielded a major league ball team? Same with the Penguins, 15,000 the other night for a team that totally bombed this year and in a shitty arena nonetheless. Speaks volumes if you ask me.

Suitanim
04-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Going back to the original topic of this thread, the lowly Royals just beat the defending World champs for the 2nd day in a row...

SteelerDan43
04-08-2006, 04:04 PM
They also say Bautista can play a pretty good out field. If you want to give that great Littlefield pick up in Burnitz a rest, he could get playing time there also. It's better than what I have seen the last six games.

As for Perez....ever since he kicked the laundry basket or whatever in the hell it was, I started to question his mental strength. He seems to get flustered very easily. Both Perez and Duffy I'm starting to question. More so in Perez. For me, this start doesn't come as much of a surprise because I don't see over .500 anytime soon, but this is pretty bad to put it very mildly.

I think Duffy should in there everyday, he is a plus defender and an average bat with good speed. McLouth is good but I like Duffy's defense better, something we need with a young pitching staff and a mediocre to bad offense

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, I guess we agree to disagree on the Bautista topic, and the team going over .500 topic, and just about every other topic pertaining to this ball team....lol.

tony hipchest
04-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Normally I watch for the first few weeks just to see what the team looks like and because the season is just starting up. Then after a while I get tired of watching us lose night after night and then thankfully vacation time arrives. After fifteen years it's becoming a usual routine for me and I'm sure for many other local Pirate fans. I give the fans credit though, they still put a nice crowd in that ball park. Same with the Penguins, 15,000 the other night for a team that totally bombed this year. Speaks volumes. unfortunately in nm, we only get the penguins lowlights on sportscenter. or once in a blue moon when they play the coyotes. so unless they make the playoffs i dont see them and i dont watch hockey. (well except for the stanley cup some of the time) we see the pirates vs. cubs, atl, or the occasional espn game so i have been spared much of the brutality of being a fan of, and watching these 2 teams. i did enjoy watching the cubs with nearly a 1/3 of our starting roster make a playoff run several years back though :sofunny:.

my baseball heyday was as a kid with b. madlock, d. berra, k. teculve, r. hebner, j thompson, d. parker, t. pena etc. spending summers in pittsburgh provided plenty of great memories.

i remember one game this fan was just tearing into the dodgers steve sax, and i asked my uncle why he was saying all those mean things and he told me because he was drunk and for the longest time i thought s. sax was an alchoholic who played while liquored up. i visited pitt in 2000 and was close enough to heckle k. shilling with the phillies, start a "gant cant" chant, and harrass telemaco in the bullpen. then saw the pirates vs brewers the day before j. kendall sheared his foot from his leg on 1st base.

going to the games really is alot of fun, win or lose.

83-Steelers-43
04-09-2006, 01:49 PM
5-3 final. Pirates finally win a game. Break out the champagne and cigars!!! Too funny. :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

SteelerDan43
04-09-2006, 03:05 PM
FINALLY!!

Sharkissle29
04-09-2006, 03:12 PM
wooooooooooooooo, feels like we won the world series

83-Steelers-43
04-09-2006, 03:22 PM
my baseball heyday was as a kid with b. madlock, d. berra, k. teculve, r. hebner, j thompson, d. parker, t. pena etc. spending summers in pittsburgh provided plenty of great memories.

Yeah, the good ol' days. Now it's like watching the movie "Major League" minus the warm and fuzzy ending. Having Harry Doyle call the game would make it interesting though.

Ohio Steeler
04-12-2006, 02:04 PM

I could not agree more

3 to be 4
04-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Going back to the original topic of this thread, the lowly Royals just beat the defending World champs for the 2nd day in a row...

yeah, they had a little spurt there. then came reality in NY.

3 to be 4
04-16-2006, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest]

QUOTE]

im an old fart, i started watching baseball in 1970 while living in Connecticut so my favorite teams were the Mets and Red Sox. But in 1971 i really liked the Pirates too.
1B B.Robertson 2B D.Cash SS ? Hernandez 3B R.Hebner LF W.Stargell CF A. Oliver RF R.Clemente C M. Sanguillen. Dock Ellis, Steve Blass, Nelson Briles,Bruce Kison

i Reeeeaaally loved it when they beat the hated Orioles. in retrospect that was an awesome lineup.