PDA

View Full Version : Taylor talks underway...

BB2W
04-05-2006, 11:23 PM
Thursday, April 06, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The agent for Ike Taylor met with Steelers negotiator Omar Khan yesterday afternoon at the team's headquarters to discuss a long-term contract for the cornerback.

Agent Scott Smith, along with Taylor's uncle, expects to stay in Pittsburgh through the weekend to try to come to terms with the club.

Taylor, as a restricted free agent, can sign with another team, but the Steelers would have one week to match the deal or let him go and receive a first-round draft choice in return.

That is an unlikely scenario, and teams have only until April 21 to sign restricted free agents.

If Taylor does not sign a long-term deal, he would receive $1.7 million for 2006 and become an unrestricted free agent if he does not sign before March.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06096/679821-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
04-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Nice to hear. Hopefully we get this last signing done and over with and move on to who we want in the draft. Up to this point, I give us a solid A+ for offseason moves and signings.

Midnightwriter1
04-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Wow, the Steelers arent messin around... they are movin on Cowhers contract and now trying to get Taylors done ... i thought they would wait till at least after the draft - mid summer before they started as usual

OX1947
04-06-2006, 02:08 AM
If you sign Taylor and then next year give Troy a long term deal, one half of the field is covered. Thats going to mean doom for offenses ESPECIALLY if we get a Bobby Carpenter, or a Manny Lawson. If we end up getting Whitner or Bing, and with Clark, Mcfadden and TOwnsend. ON top of that bring back logan and we have Carter. Who the hell is going to pass on us. This next month could show the league how dominant the Steelers can be for the next 5 years. It is going to be scary, I mean scary to see how this team will be once everyone is in their prime. Big Ben, Parker, Troy, Ike, etc, its very exciting and I cant wait for next season.....

Midnightwriter1
04-06-2006, 09:09 AM
ummm the swame teams that passed on us this year ? lol I think Kyle Bollor 300 ?

slashsteel
04-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Get'er done!

I see a 5 yr contract maybe 6. And of course we will not break the bank. Maybe a 7 or 8 mil signing bonus ? ?

Midnightwriter1
04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
good question, will be interesting to see what they feel he is worth !!

melroseplace
04-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I've been waiting to hear this news...thanks for posting!

Suitanim
04-06-2006, 10:49 AM
The upside of doing this now before he becomes a superstar (as I've clearly gone on record stating that I believe he will) is that we may be able to sign him for less than his potential worth.

I think it's too late for a deal like that with Troy, so wrapping up Ike early is imperative.

BritishSteel
04-06-2006, 11:09 AM
The upside of doing this now before he becomes a superstar (as I've clearly gone on record stating that I believe he will) is that we may be able to sign him for less than his potential worth.

I think it's too late for a deal like that with Troy, so wrapping up Ike early is imperative.

Absolutely - If we resign Troy it will cost us a lot of money - he's clearly the best in his position in the NFL and one of the best game-turners too. That won't come cheap, which is why tying up Ike on a long-term contract is so important.

Avoid Lloyd
04-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Exactly. If we sign Ike now as opposed to after the season we should be able to save a decent amount over his "market value."

We're going to pay out the ass for Troy....but he's worth it.

TasmanianTroy271
04-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Yea, definately sign Ike now, and sign Troy ASAP, cause no matter what we pay him now, it'll be alot more if he gets a look at how much teams'll be willing to pay for him.

mopit55
04-06-2006, 03:10 PM
i'm agree with ox197 if we give a long term at troy and ike the defense be very dangerous. mcfadden and i hope a new safety with the draft (cromartie,youboty,bing,ko simpson) and the steelers build a big d for future. ps:receiver in draft isn't a priority

clevestinks
04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Nice, maybe the Steelers are hoping that , not much interest in Taylor from other teams, will keep his price tag down???

Stlrs4Life
04-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Man. I hope we get this done!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Im kinda surprised they started the talks this early,especially with the draft coming up..usually they talk extensions for players after the draft and into training camp. But hey im not complaining... getting Ike nailed down to a long term deal will cement our CB's for years to come, along with McFadden and Townsend still around.

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 08:39 AM
This could be some proof that the Steelers know just how great the potential is in this kid...

Midnightwriter1
04-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Anyone know exactly how much cap room we have left for this year to sign rookies, Taylor ?

coachspeak33
04-07-2006, 12:40 PM
The Steelers love to be stable & consistent first and foremost...

I knew that they thought this kid was special when in the middle of last season they man'd him up on Marvin Harrison and Chad Johnson. In the last 15 or so years the Steelers have only asked 1 other player to do this. And that was Rod Woodson. They are going to lock up Taylor for a while I'm guessing...... and in the names of Dewayne Washington, Delton Hall, and Tim Mckyer.... Thank goodness!!!!!!

coachspeak33
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
They dont change their defensive approach (having 1 DB shadow a particular WR for the whole game) for many and we have had some good ones along the way... Ike and McFadden in a year or two could be really scary as well above average corners.

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Actually, LeBeau doesn't like to shadow receivers, but did it this year because it simplified the D a little, and Ike was up to the task.

tony hipchest
04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Tim Mckyer.... Thank goodness!!!!!!

holy cow! i had totally erased the lean year or 2 of t. mckyer at cb from my memory banks!:dang: (kind of like ANY 'new kids on the block' song.)

BlitzburghRockCity
04-07-2006, 06:31 PM
This could be some proof that the Steelers know just how great the potential is in this kid...

Its amazing how far we've come.. 5 years ago we wouldnt have been able to even consider keeping a young stud player like Ike or having aspirations of signing Hines to a big deal or Ben or anyone else because we just couldnt afford it. Its great to be able to finally play w/ the big boys in the FA market for once and keep some of the talent we've developed.

Midnightwriter1
04-07-2006, 06:39 PM
its called " geting rid of Donahoe "

Rotorhead
04-09-2006, 10:49 PM
I most definately agree with Midnightwriter1

SteelShooter
04-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Absolutely - If we resign Troy it will cost us a lot of money - he's clearly the best in his position in the NFL and one of the best game-turners too. That won't come cheap, which is why tying up Ike on a long-term contract is so important.

True, Troy is the best at his position. But I really do not think he will run off chasing the $$ as ARE and Hope did. I can see him definitely pushing for a decent raise...but not completely trying to break the bank. He just strikes me as much more of a team player. Not just in words, but in staying with the Team as well.

I could be wrong..........but that's what I see.

OX1947
04-10-2006, 01:55 AM
its called " geting rid of Donahoe "

Man, I really didnt realize how bad that guy was until this year when I randomly was looking at the draftees the last 6 years. I mean Colbert is a freakin genius. And not only because of the way he drafts but the way he is able to incorporate Cowher and others in the coaching staff to have input on players. All this team needed was a QB. Its been like that for years. If our guys stay healthy and we retain the important players, there is no limit to how many Super Bowls we can win...

Suitanim
04-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Its amazing how far we've come.. 5 years ago we wouldnt have been able to even consider keeping a young stud player like Ike or having aspirations of signing Hines to a big deal or Ben or anyone else because we just couldnt afford it. Its great to be able to finally play w/ the big boys in the FA market for once and keep some of the talent we've developed.

The new stadium helped a TON. The PSL's and luxury box sales generated a ton of extra revenue. It's no coincidence that the Steelers spending went from the bottom of the league average to the middle after Heinz Field opened up.

Midnightwriter1
04-10-2006, 09:06 AM
well take a look at what happened to the Buffalo franchise since Donahoe got there ... they have gone down hill and made alot of bad deciosn, which made me even more convinced that Donahoe was aweful.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
The new stadium helped a TON. The PSL's and luxury box sales generated a ton of extra revenue. It's no coincidence that the Steelers spending went from the bottom of the league average to the middle after Heinz Field opened up.

Absolutely agree!! We could bare lure a new water boy to the organization when TRS was still the home of our Steelers..but we've got a stadium thats as good anybody's in the league and definately the most unique stadium since it resembles the city and what Pittsburgh is all about so much in the design.

Atlanta Dan
04-10-2006, 10:18 PM
One issue that actually concerns me about Troy staying a Steeler is not that he will try to squeeze every nickel from the Steelers but that he has an ability to appreciate there is more to life than pro football and, for that reason, has made statements that he is somewhat taken aback about the celebrity that comes with being a Steeler in Steeler crazed Pittsburgh.

I could see Troy and his wife moving to a bigger city not for the money but to be able to live more anonymous lives.

tony hipchest
04-10-2006, 10:27 PM
steelers have been maxed out to the cap ever since hienz field ant 2 or 3 years ago were the highest paid team. kordell, washington, scott, porter, and gildon all cashed in with the new field. coincidentally in 2001 the steelers had the 2nd best record in the afc and were heavy favorites going into the champ game. 2 champ games later they win the sb.

ike taylor was on sirius radio this weekend talking about how much more difficult it will be to repeat this year but he thinks they have the talent and will to do it. sign him, and sign him for long. hes focussed on winning with the steelers, not some other team upping his tender... take care of polamalu while youre at it. his price will just keep rising as long as hes healthy.

tony hipchest
04-10-2006, 10:32 PM
One issue that actually concerns me about Troy staying a Steeler is not that he will try to squeeze every nickel from the Steelers but that he has an ability to appreciate there is more to life than pro football and, for that reason, has made statements that he is somewhat taken aback about the celebrity that comes with being a Steeler in Steeler crazed Pittsburgh.

I could see Troy and his wife moving to a bigger city not for the money but to be able to live more anonymous lives.very interesting look at it. im thinking and hoping that has more to do with the reality of the situation than his capabilities or desire to deal with it. anyone who plays in pittsburgh the way he has is bound to be a star. i think he and most pro atheletes thrive on that.

83-Steelers-43
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
For the most part, athletes in this city (Lemieux in particular) have stated many times that what they respect the most about playing in this city is that the fans in our city respect the privacy of the athletes. If anything, I think it would be worse for Troy if he left and decided to play in a "bigger" city.

Also, he knew what he was getting into when he entered the NFL draft. It's part of being a professional athlete. I'm sure that first check in the mail helps cushion the lack of privacy that you or I are used to having in our everyday lives.

Livinginthe past
04-11-2006, 01:05 AM
So did anyone actually put an offer in for Ike?

It seemed common knowledge that either the Redskins or the Patriots would try and work a deal for him - a late 1st rounder being a fair price I think.

I was watching the SB and wondering why the d-coach was playing Taylor in such soft coverage - seems to me that the west coast offense thrives on short slants, quick outs and other timing patterns - so it seems odd to start the game this way.

NM

Midnightwriter1
04-11-2006, 01:05 AM
so he wouldnt get beat deep

Midnightwriter1
04-11-2006, 01:06 AM
nobody has put in offer for taylor .. dont want to give up that first round pick for him. Redskins dont have a first round pick to give.

tony hipchest
04-11-2006, 09:18 AM
So did anyone actually put an offer in for Ike?

It seemed common knowledge that either the Redskins or the Patriots would try and work a deal for him - a late 1st rounder being a fair price I think.

I was watching the SB and wondering why the d-coach was playing Taylor in such soft coverage - seems to me that the west coast offense thrives on short slants, quick outs and other timing patterns - so it seems odd to start the game this way.

NMi think a late 1st rounder is a fair price too. at least you recognize d. jackson racking up the catches in the 1st half was more due to gameplan than it was poor coverage on ikes part. heres why the steelers did this. it is well known that in gameplanning, the offenses will gladly take what the defenses give them. essentially the steelers said "what gives us the best opportunity to win?" m. hasselbeck throwing the ball 50 times, or the leading rusher and td machine getting 30-35 carries? they lured the seahawks into a passing attack, essentially taking the ball out of alexanders hands. this could only be done cause ike is as sure of a tackler and hard hitter as any cb out there. plus troy gets his licks in. all the hits those wr's and te's were receiving took its toll on them by the end of the game. most wr dont like getting tackled, let alone jacked up.

different method but same philosophy was used by the pats vs. rams. faulk was not nearly as big of a part of that game as he shouldve been but the pats dictated what the rams offense did by dangling the carrot of the pass in front of their noses. the pats used the unconventional method of lining their safeties up on the corners and putting their corners into the middle where the safeties usually were and they muscled up the wr.

Livinginthe past
04-11-2006, 02:17 PM
i think a late 1st rounder is a fair price too. at least you recognize d. jackson racking up the catches in the 1st half was more due to gameplan than it was poor coverage on ikes part. heres why the steelers did this. it is well known that in gameplanning, the offenses will gladly take what the defenses give them. essentially the steelers said "what gives us the best opportunity to win?" m. hasselbeck throwing the ball 50 times, or the leading rusher and td machine getting 30-35 carries? they lured the seahawks into a passing attack, essentially taking the ball out of alexanders hands. this could only be done cause ike is as sure of a tackler and hard hitter as any cb out there. plus troy gets his licks in. all the hits those wr's and te's were receiving took its toll on them by the end of the game. most wr dont like getting tackled, let alone jacked up.

different method but same philosophy was used by the pats vs. rams. faulk was not nearly as big of a part of that game as he shouldve been but the pats dictated what the rams offense did by dangling the carrot of the pass in front of their noses. the pats used the unconventional method of lining their safeties up on the corners and putting their corners into the middle where the safeties usually were and they muscled up the wr.

Nice reply Tony - thanks.

NM

Midnightwriter1
04-11-2006, 02:58 PM
i think was more of the fact of not wanting Ike to get beat deep.

Livinginthe past
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
i think was more of the fact of not wanting Ike to get beat deep.

I would question that theory for two reasons.

Firstly, the West Coast offense isnt built around deep bombs - its timing patterns for 7-10 yard picks ups.

Secondly, isn't Ike one of the quickest CB's in the Steelers and the NFL? - I wouldnt expect a premiere DB worth a first round draft pick to be so liable to the deep ball that they would have to game plan around him.

Either way, it appeared to me that they had a rethink after the 1st Quarter when Seattle were picking up easy 1st downs on quick outs that the scheme gave Ike no chance of preventing.

NM

Haiku_Dirtt
04-11-2006, 03:47 PM

I could see Troy and his wife moving to a bigger city not for the money but to be able to live more anonymous lives.

Sorry but I don't agree with that assumption. He's a freakin' pure footbal player. His wife doesn't give a s**t about football. He played in Los Angeles at SC. I'm sure he understands the dynamics of scaling up in size.

Exactly which big city do you think would provide him anonymity - unless he goes to a bad team. And how would that make life better? Instead of adoring fans and good press he will have pissed-off lunatics and bad press. Hmmm that sounds better.

He drives a pick-up truck and stays out of trouble. If you spend your time productively then the affects of celebrity are de-emphasized unlike pub-hungry players like TO.

Midnightwriter1
04-11-2006, 04:49 PM

Firstly, the West Coast offense isnt built around deep bombs - its timing patterns for 7-10 yard picks ups.

Secondly, isn't Ike one of the quickest CB's in the Steelers and the NFL? - I wouldnt expect a premiere DB worth a first round draft pick to be so liable to the deep ball that they would have to game plan around him.

Either way, it appeared to me that they had a rethink after the 1st Quarter when Seattle were picking up easy 1st downs on quick outs that the scheme gave Ike no chance of preventing.

NM

First of all, notice that nobody took Taylor for a first round pick ? Steeler fans are a little bias about his skills at this point. Alot of Steelers fans feel he is a premiere CB, not always everyone else. Again, The Steelers have not even had a sniff on him for someone making that trade which should tell ya something. He has potential to be a good corner, I am not as high on Ike as most i guess, but i saw alot of things i didnt like and yes i feel that is reason we playe soft on receivers in SB was not to get burned. After the Indy game and Ike got burnt on first play of game, normally he had over the top help after that. So yes he shadowed people but they made sure there was someone behind him as much as possible and if not, they played him soft. Ike is no Champ Bailey. There are many scouts and personel people who feel that townsend is the best cover corner we have although i know Steelers fans arent buying that. If Ike was so great, we woulod have put the highest tender on him ( 1st and 3rd ) instead of a medium tender (1st roounder).

I like Ike, but no i dont think he can play man to man bump and run every play and take away half the field from a QB. Alot of Qb's ( Boller for the love of god ) threw at him and many completed passes agaisnt him. I dont think any QB is afraid to throw at him or worried about him individually. He couldnt catch the ball when he had a chance either.
So i have to disagree for the reason he was playing soft against the Seahwaks, same reason ****ie L had to play him soft most of the time if he didnt have help. =)

Ok , now let the hate responses start lol i usually get em after posting something about taylor lol

Livinginthe past
04-11-2006, 05:07 PM
First of all, notice that nobody took Taylor for a first round pick ? Steeler fans are a little bias about his skills at this point. Alot of Steelers fans feel he is a premiere CB, not always everyone else. Again, The Steelers have not even had a sniff on him for someone making that trade which should tell ya something. He has potential to be a good corner, I am not as high on Ike as most i guess, but i saw alot of things i didnt like and yes i feel that is reason we playe soft on receivers in SB was not to get burned. After the Indy game and Ike got burnt on first play of game, normally he had over the top help after that. So yes he shadowed people but they made sure there was someone behind him as much as possible and if not, they played him soft. Ike is no Champ Bailey. There are many scouts and personel people who feel that townsend is the best cover corner we have although i know Steelers fans arent buying that. If Ike was so great, we woulod have put the highest tender on him ( 1st and 3rd ) instead of a medium tender (1st roounder).

I like Ike, but no i dont think he can play man to man bump and run every play and take away half the field from a QB. Alot of Qb's ( Boller for the love of god ) threw at him and many completed passes agaisnt him. I dont think any QB is afraid to throw at him or worried about him individually. He couldnt catch the ball when he had a chance either.
So i have to disagree for the reason he was playing soft against the Seahwaks, same reason ****ie L had to play him soft most of the time if he didnt have help. =)

Ok , now let the hate responses start lol i usually get em after posting something about taylor lol

Well most of my theories we based on Ike being a premiere corner, if you dont agree with that then the rest of your post makes total sense.

Hopefully, you wont get too muh abuse for sharing your honest opinion on his skill level - I think you put a pretty good argument across to support yourself.

NM

Midnightwriter1
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
As hard up as N.E is for a solid corner, they didnt bite for their first rounder even though is a high one so i think that speaks for itself.

tony hipchest
04-11-2006, 05:19 PM

hate responses for having an opinion? no way. i see what youre saying on all points. nobody wants to give up a 1st round draftpick for anything unless they are moving up for a higher 1st round pick. established veterans cant even command a 2nd round pick in a trade which is really what signing a restricted player is. a gm is usually admitting he sucks by trading his 1st rounder for somebody elses 3rd or 4th rounder. there is a pride issue that goes along with this.

the deion sanders "shut down half the field corner" is few and far between. ike tackles better than deion anyways. champ got burnt by chad johnson while ike shut him out of the endzone the past 3 times they played.

ike, ben, and willie are probably 3 of the rawest impact players we have. yet they are the 3 youngsters who still have the most upside, even more upside than the steelers believed they had when they picked them.

ben was supposed to be a 1st year struggling starter last year.
willie was supposed to be a practice squad developmental project and possible back up
ike was supposed to be a special teamer, 3rd cb, and hopefully a starter.

i compare ikes year last year to troy polamalus 1st year as a starter. him getting burned by deione branch in the afcc game was as much of a learning experience for him as it was for ike getting burned by harrison. he has room for improvement just like troy did (especially if he starts hanging onto some of those balls he gets his hands on)

one thing i think was underated about c. hopes game was that he covered for and allowed troy and ike to play a little aggresively. he almost always had their backs. hopefully that shake-up of the backfield chemistry doesnt affect the db's or their continued development.

where ike is important is that he is NOT the best cb in the game. we cant afford that. but we can afford 3 quality starting cb's. i was listenning to p. kirwan and randy cross on the radio and they were saying teams play so much nickel and dime that you almost HAVE to look at your 3rd cb as a starter. i like ike, townsend, and mcfadden as that 3some. young, established, affordable, with upside to outpreform their contracts. thats the only way we will stay sb contenders in todays market (like i said i think c. hope may be a bigger loss than his mediocre numbers and missed tackles may suggest, atleast in the 1st part of the season). d. lebeaus system isnt learned over night.

tony hipchest
04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
As hard up as N.E is for a solid corner, they didnt bite for their first rounder even though is a high one so i think that speaks for itself. i dont put much credence into that. with that 1st pick they can possibly take the 1st cb off the board (and have him signed cheaper and longer than ike) or they could address a more pressing need by taking carpenter or l. white (or possibly have their choice of top rb's. its possible only 1 will be gone when they pick and the one they had ranked #1 is still there). them looking at deshea shows they want a cb but they have a fixed price in mind, and, like the steelers, theyre not ones to exceed their budget.

Midnightwriter1
04-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Hye i agree, i think would be stupid for N.E or any other team to give up a first rounder for him. That is my point, if we could get Champ baily or any other team could for the a draft pick at 20 or above i think you would have alot of teams interested. the pats have cap room, they dont really have money issues but they are smart enough not to do such a thing. I only mentioned that about Ike cause i hear "premier corner or one of the best" i think there are alot of better ones ahead of him and like alot of Steelers players, it is the system that makes them maybe appear better than they really are as shown in past. I like Ike, but Mcfadden to me has more upside and will be a better corner than ike is when is all said and done. Ike has been benched, demoted, deactivated prior to last year and he basically caught a break when Colclough wasnt ready and didnt look as good as they were hoping. ike made the most of it and i hope he will continue to get better, I just try to pull the reigns back a little when some of my fellow Steelers fans ger ahead of themselves with the " great corner " or "premier talk."

tony hipchest
04-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Hye i agree, i think would be stupid for N.E or any other team to give up a first rounder for him. That is my point, if we could get Champ baily or any other team could for the a draft pick at 20 or above i think you would have alot of teams interested. the pats have cap room, they dont really have money issues but they are smart enough not to do such a thing. I only mentioned that about Ike cause i hear "premier corner or one of the best" i think there are alot of better ones ahead of him and like alot of Steelers players, it is the system that makes them maybe appear better than they really are as shown in past. I like Ike, but Mcfadden to me has more upside and will be a better corner than ike is when is all said and done. Ike has been benched, demoted, deactivated prior to last year and he basically caught a break when Colclough wasnt ready and didnt look as good as they were hoping. ike made the most of it and i hope he will continue to get better, I just try to pull the reigns back a little when some of my fellow Steelers fans ger ahead of themselves with the " great corner " or "premier talk." in ikes defense he was young, unpolished, and converting from t. lewis to d. lebeaus system before starting. i like him for his tremendous upside. while i dont think he deserves to be paid like a top 5 cb right now, he has the potential to be one in the next 2 years. i would like to see the steelers sign him for about 18-20 mil for the next 6 years. (its possible he would balk at this and gamble on himself to wait for free agency, but from hearing bits of his recent radio interview on sirius he wants to be a steeler for the long haul and he wants to win more sb's). im willing to bet having him locked in at 3 mil/ year would look great 4 years from now. the steelers would be lucky to get him to sign this deal.

tony hipchest
04-11-2006, 07:38 PM

NM

seattle doesnt even have a deep threat speedy receiver. why else would the give n. burleson a 7 yr./ $49 mil deal? steelers played an umbrella defense, knowing they could crank it up if seattle reached scoring position. they saw how seattle would react and they made the necessary adjustments. after dropping an early int. ike intercepted one in the redzone in the 4th quarter to seal the game.

steelers allowed 15 passing td's last year. 2nd fewest in the league. i dont think they played scared or trying to compensate for any of ikes perceived weaknesses

Suitanim
04-12-2006, 08:02 AM
The bottom line on Ike? He's been playing CB for about 4 years now.

clevestinks
04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
No new news yet?? Lets get it done!

Hines Alou
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I hope the Steelers realize how important Ike is on the team. Even Chad Johnson said he was one of the best corners in the league. He could have easily made the pro bowl this year but his name isnt out there yet...hopefully now it is after XL

Midnightwriter1
04-12-2006, 01:56 PM
they are making talks with Taylor, Parker, and coach Cowher... hopefully will get all three done before summer starts !!

clevestinks
04-13-2006, 03:27 AM
they are making talks with Taylor, Parker, and coach Cowher... hopefully will get all three done before summer starts !!
All three are so important, but I would have to say that Cowher is the most important

BlitzburghRockCity
04-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Bring on the signings..keep em coming !!! Lets lock everybody up that we can so there is no doubt heading into this season what we've got for years to come.

Midnightwriter1
04-13-2006, 06:49 PM
not only locking people up ( i had no idea that they were even negotiating with Harrison ) ..... but the next two drafts will be fortifying at all positions. great situation to be in .

tony hipchest
04-13-2006, 06:57 PM
not only locking people up ( i had no idea that they were even negotiating with Harrison ) ..... but the next two drafts will be fortifying at all positions. great situation to be in .reminds me of last year when we were supposed to be negotiating with hines and dropped a fat contract on c. hampton. (doing that last year makes up for not making a big splash in this off season!) add c. hoke to the list too.

klick81
04-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Any news?

clevestinks
04-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Bring on the signings..keep em coming !!! Lets lock everybody up that we can so there is no doubt heading into this season what we've got for years to come.
You couldnt be more right. Lets get em locked up! Once Harrison becomes a starter, or Ike gets to the Pro Bowl, the price goes up.

DIESELMAN
04-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports restricted free agent CB Ike Taylor (Steelers) is expected to return to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006. Taylor has drawn some interest from other NFL clubs but not enough to visit any of them. Taylor plans to return Sunday, April 23, from Orlando, Fla., where he has worked out the past 3 1/2 months, and join his teammates at workouts next week.

BB2W
04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
"Ike has been preparing for this upcoming season since four days after the Super Bowl," agent Scott Smith said. "I spoke with [personal trainer] Tom Shaw yesterday and he said he's in the best shape of his life, and the best shape of any athlete he's trained. Ike was running with Olympic sprinters yesterday and held his own. He's excited to get back into Pittsburgh and work with his teammates

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06111/683965-66.stm

Suitanim
04-21-2006, 12:07 PM
Excellent.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2006, 12:43 PM
No doubt, now all we need is to lock his ass down for a good long time !

klick81
04-21-2006, 04:11 PM
I won't be too happy until i KNOW he's resigned with us. Lots of nasty surprises can happen when one gets too confident.

SteelCityMan786
04-21-2006, 10:00 PM
No doubt, now all we need is to lock his ass down for a good long time !

I smell long contract

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I think teams had until 4PM yesterday to sign him, so he's ours for at least one more year...

clevestinks
04-22-2006, 09:40 AM
I think teams had until 4PM yesterday to sign him, so he's ours for at least one more year...
Our we waiting to see, say a few games into the season to see if he is still worth the cash? Any Thoughts?

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Our we waiting to see, say a few games into the season to see if he is still worth the cash? Any Thoughts?

No, we won't negotiate after the season starts. In fact, I think he'll have a pro bowl season and we'll slap a franchise tag on him next year...but we'll see...