PDA

View Full Version : Nice detail from Tomlin

ricardisimo
12-10-2010, 03:53 AM
I haven't seen anyone here comment on a rather nice decision from the coaches this last game at Baltimore, a decision which arguably won the game for us: deferring at the start of the game, so as to have the wind at the end of it. That's foresight, knowing that the game was going to be close all the way down to the final snap. As it turned out, Harbaugh elected to go for it on fourth down, rather than kick a 48-ish yarder into the wind.

Good call, coach. :hatsoff:

Rotorhead
12-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Lol my HS coach used to defer all the time, but we were by far and away the best in the state ( usually around 35-0) at half so that off series would put the nail in the coffin and in would go the JV. Makes sense because our def is fresh at the start and if we get that first stop we are a step ahead.

austinfrench76
12-10-2010, 10:21 AM
Yea, i think you always defer!

tanda10506
12-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree. With our defense I don't think we should ever choose to recieve at the beginning of the game.

ricardisimo
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree. With our defense I don't think we should ever choose to recieve at the beginning of the game.
:chuckle: I think that's a bit extreme, although if the other team receives and does not score, then psychologically I think that's a huge advantage. I think the main point is deciding wind direction for the end of the game. If you know you're in a tight race, then having a five-to-ten yard turnaround against your opponent and their kicker, that can be huge, as it was in this case.

caseyviator
12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
always take the with in 2nd half if you have the choice...super important in close games which in the nfl all games can be close..

Third Rail
12-10-2010, 12:53 PM
We've opened with 3 & out so many damned times that I would be fine with always deferring.

fer522
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
We've opened with 3 & out so many damned times that I would be fine with always deferring.

:thumbsup:

grward
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I know! There's nothing worse than going 3 and out on your very first drive! UGH!

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-10-2010, 02:37 PM
If we play the Patriots again, I would choose to receive and have Ben go right to the no-huddle to start out. Best to try and put 7 on the board and make the Pats play catch-up (taking them out of their element-- their defense is only good against desperate offenses that are down by a TD or more).

But that would be an aggressive offensive gameplan, something our current coordinator doesn't really know how to do.

To be fair, I will mention that the Jets tried this on Monday night, but Sanchize is no Big Ben out of the no-huddle. He stinks.

Fire Arians
12-10-2010, 02:40 PM
To be honest I like when we defer, I rather get the ball to start off the 2nd half

ricardisimo
12-10-2010, 08:02 PM
To be honest I like when we defer, I rather get the ball to start off the 2nd half
+1, although I can't really say why. Part of me thinks it's a nice nod of respect to the D.