PDA

View Full Version : Taylor making case for Pro Bowl invite

mesaSteeler
12-10-2010, 07:32 AM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/12/10/taylor-making-case-for-pro-bowl-invite/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Taylor making case for Pro Bowl invite
December 10th, 2010

Cornerback Ike Taylor has been overshadowed by teammates such as linebackers James Harrison and Lawrence Timmons and strong safety Troy Polamalu.

But the season that is shaping up to be the best of what has been a pretty good career for Taylor has not gone unnoticed by his position coach.

“If you think Nnamdi Asomugha out in Oakland plays good ball then this guy is (doing) the same thing,” Steelers defensive backs coach Ray Horton said of Taylor. “Guys don’t throw at him anymore, he picks the ball off when they throw at him, he’s always on their top guy.”

Yes, there is a reason why Bryant McFadden is targeted more than impulse shoppers -– and it is not just because of his own shortcomings.

Taylor has been consistently shutting down the side of the field he patrols; the touchdown pass that Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson dropped a couple of weeks ago serves as a notable exception.

The rangy corner has two interceptions and should have a third.

Taylor made a pick six in the Steelers’ 34-3 win against the Raiders but a roughing the passer penalty on Harrison negated the play.

The NFL tacitly admitted after the fact that the call on Harrison had been a bad one as the league did not fine him for the penalty.

“I wish that the play against Oakland in the end zone had counted because that’s another interception, that’s another touchdown,” Horton said in reference to the case Taylor has been building for the Pro Bowl. “He’s on pace to have a great year. He’s doing a heck of a job with everything we want, tackling and coverage and being responsible, accountable. And again I go back to the Oakland Raiders’ corner. If he’s a Pro Bowl player then this guy’s a Pro Bowl player.”

Asomugha has been voted to three consecutive Pro Bowls while Taylor has yet to play in the annual all-star game.

Even if he is slighted this year, his timing has been impeccable in one sense.

Taylor is in the final year of his contract, and the eighth-year veteran is going to have considerable leverage when it comes time to talk to the Steelers about a new deal.

Taylor, who turns 31 in May, does not appear to be losing a step, and the Steelers could find themselves in dire straits at cornerback if Taylor does leave after the season.

That is another discussion for another day.

For now, Horton’s main thrust is for Taylor to get the recognition that he deserves -- Pro Bowl selection or not.

“I don’t get to see every player in the league,” Horton said. “I get to see enough of them where I’m kind of surprised that he’s not being talked about as absolutely shutting people down.”

TRH
12-10-2010, 08:54 AM
He's been sticking to people like glue. I can't even imagine if he wasn't covering receivers so well, how bad we'd get lit up by everybody's passing games. Since Troy is all over the place and blitzing and covering run, he's our only guy back there who can cover. Plus, every once in a while he makes a big statement with a "stick from hell", leaving someone gasping for air on the ground.

SacknificentStew56
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
He needs to take B-Mac and the rest of the D-backs after every practice for the rest of the season and spend a couple of hours schooling them.

grward
12-10-2010, 02:40 PM
He needs to take B-Mac and the rest of the D-backs after every practice for the rest of the season and spend a couple of hours schooling them.

I actually thought the same thing! School 'em Ike! :tt04:

austinfrench76
12-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I love Ike! I really do but, if he's that good why not roll coverage to the other side of the field and help out BMac more? If he is that good that means we have a HOF'er and best ever in Troy boy, and a shut down corner, Ike and we are in the 20's in pass defense??? I am not trying to be a dick here but something doesn't add up. I think Ryan Calrk is pretty good. That means because of 1 CB, McFadden, our pass defense sucks that bad? I know that the nickel and dime packages include Gay but I just cant see how that happens.

pete74
12-10-2010, 04:18 PM
taylor has been really good for us this year but hopefully that dosnt toss his price up to more then we can afford because i dont like thinking about his replacement(gay) in there every sunday

grward
12-11-2010, 06:54 AM
I love Ike! I really do but, if he's that good why not roll coverage to the other side of the field and help out BMac more? If he is that good that means we have a HOF'er and best ever in Troy boy, and a shut down corner, Ike and we are in the 20's in pass defense??? I am not trying to be a dick here but something doesn't add up. I think Ryan Calrk is pretty good. That means because of 1 CB, McFadden, our pass defense sucks that bad? I know that the nickel and dime packages include Gay but I just cant see how that happens.

I agree, it seems strange and little twisted, but isn't that what the numbers show? Ike doesn't give up too many passes and Troy is, well you know, Troy. So that leaves the rest of the secondary stinking it up for us. Just makes you shake your head, doesn't it?

zulater
12-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Isn't Taylor about to become an UFA? We can't afford to lose him, he's having a helluva year, and is the only reliable cornerback we have. I wish they would have addressed his contract this past offseason, with him coming off a sub par year.

btaylor179
12-11-2010, 08:25 AM
are u kidding me? steve johnson had 10yds on ike he just dropped the ball! i think hes over rated

zulater
12-11-2010, 08:57 AM
are u kidding me? steve johnson had 10yds on ike he just dropped the ball! i think hes over rated

You can always cherry pick and find a play where a corner gets beat. Mel Blount was owned on more than one occasion, same with Rod Woodson. But more often than not Ike stays with his man. He's invaluable to this team.

pete74
12-11-2010, 09:56 AM

if he signs with another team next season then you'll see how valuable he really was. mcfadden and gay as our 2 starting corners would be a horrible thing to watch

skinart82
12-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I LIKE IKE!!!!

Whodis
12-11-2010, 05:52 PM

was all of that on Taylor? Either way your taking one game out of his whole season. You don't see him on a lot of replay's and that's a good thing!

You can't tell me too many CB's that have a bad game here or there. He doesn't get a whole lot of attention so I don't understand how you can come off by saying he's overrated.