PDA

View Full Version : Framing newspaper front pages

steelerdude
04-06-2006, 09:35 AM
I've got four newspaper front pages covering the SBXL victory that I'd like to get framed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I prefer a professional looking appearance, but for that I'd probably have to take them to a shop that does custom framing and fork out some serious cash, so I'm just wondering if there are any low-cost alternatives. Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

--steelerdude out

tony hipchest
04-06-2006, 09:48 AM
if you go to walmart or kmart they have poster frames. very cheap and you can probably find them anywhere. they have the plastic (you can even get wooden) borders. a clear plastic faux glass sheet to cover it and the particle board type background to matt it on. you can even get you some black and gold ribbon to make a nice matt or border. what you do and add to it can make it look very professional but if you take it to a frame shop you will spend an arm and a leg.

beSteelmyheart
04-10-2006, 08:41 PM
I would also look for framing materials that are "acid-free".
Don't ask me what that means(lol)but it has something to do with causing the paper/art to turn yellow. But then the paper will eventually turn yellow, so I guess it doesn't matter..don't mind me, I'm always this confused!
I could make some very cool frames but the materials I use would cost a fortune.
It's a good idea to frame them, though! I like to collect newspapers too, & have a few from the SB run. Store them flat, if you're not doing that already, till you frame them.

PisnNapalm
04-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Honestly... If it's something you want to look great for a long time, go to a framing shop. Have some nice custom frames made and use the UV protective glass. It will help prevent the paper from yellowing and fading. It's gonna be expensive though.

steelerdude
04-11-2006, 08:44 AM
thanks for the help!

Ambridge
04-11-2006, 07:02 PM
Honestly... If it's something you want to look great for a long time, go to a framing shop. Have some nice custom frames made and use the UV protective glass. It will help prevent the paper from yellowing and fading. It's gonna be expensive though.

That's the best bet.

My brother is a graphic artist and he suggests taking newspapers pages to a frame shop or an art professional if you want a quality framing.

He said $60 should get you a nicely framed front page.

beSteelmyheart
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Yep, if you have a Steelers room, or if you're working on one, that would be soooo cool!
Also you have to consider the cost versus how long you will have it. If you plan on keeping them forever, pay the price & get it done right the first time & remember that it'll always look nice! Especially if they are Pittsburgh area papers-that's the real thing.

clevestinks
04-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Usually the craft stores is where I buy memor, frames, all shapes and sizes