PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting so sick of being screwed out of seeing Steelers games

Third Rail
12-10-2010, 01:50 PM
This is really getting annoying. My lovely overpriced cable provider is ONCE AGAIN not showing the Steelers (or any other game) on CBS at 1 PM this Sunday, because the totally irrelevant Washington Foreskins are playing at that time. This happened two weeks ago with the Buffalo game, and the week before that with the Raiders game, if I remember correctly.

This is really starting to piss me off. I know that I live near DC, but I used to live in another area last year (still in the DC market) that always showed games on CBS and FOX, simultaneously, no matter who was playing. But I guess different areas around DC have different agreements with the league and if you're unfortunate enough to live in those areas, if you want to watch the game at home, you're stuck with either seeing the Redskins lose, or paying some ludicrous amount of money for the NFL ticket.

I guess I could at least understand it if the Foreskins were a good team. But they've been horrible for a decade and even their fans down here hate them. All of the local sports coverage consists of reporters asking various members of the team why they suck so much. And this is such a diverse area; there are Steelers fans, Ravens fans, Eagles fans, Pats fans, etc. You know, RELEVANT teams.

pete74
12-10-2010, 01:53 PM
if i didnt live in pittsburgh i would have to get the NFL package

fer522
12-10-2010, 01:58 PM
internet? have you heard about it

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

feel the same way im in arkansas and always have to watch
the titans, cowgirls, houston, or the chiefs
and that sucks

Third Rail
12-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I'm seriously considering the NFL package, but it's just so damned expensive. But it probably is worth it because I hate going to bars to watch games. There's always some asshole Ravens or Eagles or Cowboys fan there yelling and cheering and making smartass comments whenever the Steelers are scored upon.

Although, that does occasionally work to my advantage, lol. There is, admittedly nothing better than being in a bar full of Ravens fans when Steelers and Ravens are playing at the same time (or even better, when they play each other) and Pittsburgh wins, while Baltimore loses. I do love that.

MDSteel15
12-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Get used to it! :popcorn:

grward
12-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Try living near Youngstown, Ohio and ONLY having the Poopstains on TV! I end up at BW3 every week they don't air a Steelers' game. No way am I going to miss it and have to suffer through a game that is equivalent and meaningful as a high school game. Let me rephrase that ... less meaningful than a high school game!

Fortunately, the BW3 I go to is mainly a Steelers' joint ... they always have the volume on the Steelers game in their main bar area. Thank gawd for Steelers' bars! Most larger cities have them, you just need to find a location, perch at the bar and order a tall, cold one!

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'm seriously considering the NFL package, but it's just so damned expensive. But it probably is worth it because I hate going to bars to watch games. There's always some asshole Ravens or Eagles or Cowboys fan there yelling and cheering and making smartass comments whenever the Steelers are scored upon.

Although, that does occasionally work to my advantage, lol. There is, admittedly nothing better than being in a bar full of Ravens fans when Steelers and Ravens are playing at the same time (or even better, when they play each other) and Pittsburgh wins, while Baltimore loses. I do love that.

I have been paying the Sunday Ticket tax to DirecTV since 1997 since the AFC "home teams" for Atlanta broadcasts are the Titans, Jags, and Dolphins.

When the Steelers are on national TV a lot (as in 2008 or during the last 6 weeks with all the night games) it seems as if you are burning $$$, but it beats a sports bar where the sound is on for another game and does give you other games to surf when the Steelers are not playing at that time.

Plus the Sunday Ticket list price is like list price for a car - DirecTV always negotiates if you call and say you cannot afford to pay full price.

Rotorhead
12-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I am so blessed my fiance works for DIRECTV :)

SECTION219
12-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I am so blessed my fiance works for DIRECTV :)

Spend a buck and get the Sunday ticket....you'll never miss a game again.

MDSteel15
12-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Where do you live at in Maryland 3rdRail?

Third Rail
12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
grward - yeah, there's a Steelers bar down here that's pretty cool. It's a bit out of the way for me though and I'm afraid if I go there, I'll jinx the team, since the last time I went was that awful game last year where we lost to the Raiders.

Atlanta Dan - Hmmm, didn't know the ticket was negotiable. I might have to look into it.

Third Rail
12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Where do you live at in Maryland 3rdRail?

Silver Spring

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Try out ATDHE.NET-- you can stream all the games on there, dude. I was going to get Directv this year, but our apartment faces west and has too many trees in the way of reception. I hate having to watch the games at bars too-- being in southern Cali, most sports bars are overrun by Raiders fans in their skeletor outfits and black facepaint on Sundays.

Third Rail
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
LOL, what is that with Raiders fans? I've never understood the skeletor thing. I guess its a connection to the pirate culture? It would make more sense if the Raiders logo was a skull and crossbones... but instead it's a synchronized swimmer with an eyepatch, lol.

4xSBChamps
12-10-2010, 04:06 PM
I hate going to bars to watch games. There's always some asshole Ravens or Eagles or Cowboys fan there yelling and cheering and making smartass comments whenever the Steelers are scored upon.

... was at my local sports-bar the Sunday before Thanksgiving last year, watchin' 'em Stillers (this particular joint is usually about 40% Black & Gold on Sundays during football season) while some obnoxious Philthadelphians were at the next table, watching the Iggles squeak-out a win over Chicago:
after KC beat 'em Stillers in OT, Stiller-fans were taunted, until I finally said "the difference between us is that, while we are both 6-4, I'm disappointed with that record, while you are thrilled"

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/DonovanMcNabbEaglesTrophyCase.jpg

Strangely, the know-it-somes from the City of Muggers & Thugs didn't want to discuss Stanley Cup wins, either

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/hockey%202009-2010/FlyerSantaClaus.jpg

for the most-part, this place in central Florida has a good crowd, with many knowledgeable & courteous fans from all teams (sans Crygirl & Iggle phaithful... God hasn't made them yet), with every game shown, tasty food & reasonable prices:
I almost look-forward to when 'em Stillers aren't shown on the local stations

stb_steeler
12-10-2010, 04:30 PM

You know if you get Direct tv, u dont have to buy the whole sunday tix. U can order one game at a time, but its still like 45 for the whole day!. You'd prolly be better off gettin the whole deal. I only order one game at a time because we only miss 2 games a season here.

Stu Pidasso
12-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Try living near Youngstown, Ohio and ONLY having the Poopstains on TV! I end up at BW3 every week they don't air a Steelers' game. No way am I going to miss it and have to suffer through a game that is equivalent and meaningful as a high school game. Let me rephrase that ... less meaningful than a high school game!

Fortunately, the BW3 I go to is mainly a Steelers' joint ... they always have the volume on the Steelers game in their main bar area. Thank gawd for Steelers' bars! Most larger cities have them, you just need to find a location, perch at the bar and order a tall, cold one!

Dude, we could have sat next to one another and not known it! LOL

I'm heading to the BW3 in the Austintown plaza this week, it seems better than the one by the mall. Maybe I'll see you there, first drink is on me!

MDSteel15
12-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Silver Spring

Man find a Steeler bar! There all over Maryland!

HAWK
12-10-2010, 06:27 PM
My wife and I used to go to BW3 every Sunday. And as expensive as their food is I realized I was spending more there four times a week than I was if I just bought the Sunday ticket. We did...and we haven't looked back yet. Especially since this year ALL the games are in HD.

You figure it's $50/month. For my wife and kids it was easily $50 a week at BW3's. 1) It's cheaper 2) My wife is a much better cook 3) I don 't have to put up with [insert a$$h0le team fans here] every week.

Merchant
12-10-2010, 08:54 PM
NFL Package ain't expensive lol. Where im at the Super Sports Pack (NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, etc) is $30 a month.

HAWK
12-10-2010, 09:44 PM
No sports pack can touch the Sunday Ticket.

Merchant
12-10-2010, 10:13 PM
No sports pack can touch the Sunday Ticket.

Super Sports Pack includes NFL Sunday ticket.. along with MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice, NBA, NCAA, etc..

For $30/month

if you can't afford that (we're talking about $1/day here) then.. I don't know what to tell you lol

HAWK
12-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Who's this through?

Stu Pidasso
12-10-2010, 10:17 PM
The problem is, if you don't have DirecTV, you're screwed double over. I have Dish Network, love it, not switching. So it's BW3's or the radio for me. Or watching the freaking Brownie troops lose again...

HAWK
12-10-2010, 10:18 PM
May I ask why you won't switch?

Merchant
12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Who's this through?

Well I''m in Toronto so mine is through a company called Rogers (it's the Canadian equivalent of AT&T I guess). And there's no way a similar Super Sports Pack is more expensive in the U.S. - I have yet to encounter something that costs more in Canada than it does in the U.S.

Just call up your provider and see what kind of deal you can get.. it's really not as expensive as you think guys. $1/day ... my morning coffee costs more than $1.

HAWK
12-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Gotcha. I don't really watch other sports much so I'm happy to pay more a month for half the year than to pay year round for something I don't use.

Fire Arians
12-10-2010, 11:23 PM
i like watching at bars, it's a reason to go and eat nachos hehe

Wallace108
12-11-2010, 03:39 AM

Dude, have you ever gone to Billy's Black and Gold in Sharon? GREAT place to watch a game. I used to go out there every game until my cheapskate buddy finally broke down and got Direct TV. :sofunny:

Dude, we could have sat next to one another and not known it! LOL

I'm heading to the BW3 in the Austintown plaza this week, it seems better than the one by the mall. Maybe I'll see you there, first drink is on me!
Stu, just like I asked grward ... have you ever been to Billy's? If not, you have to go.

MikeHaullace
12-11-2010, 03:47 AM
I too go to a BW3, but only when I feel like being social and going somewhere to... eat... wings.

I mean, wings aside, I would think that BW3 should be the official Steelers-fan-watching headquarters.

http://i.imgur.com/8FtbB.jpg

Rick5895
12-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Super Sports Pack includes NFL Sunday ticket.. along with MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice, NBA, NCAA, etc..

For $30/month

if you can't afford that (we're talking about $1/day here) then.. I don't know what to tell you lol

The problem is as Canadians we get the Super Sports pack through our cable companies, I don't think they get it in the U.S. I think they have to go through directv.

I have the sports pack and it is great, havent missed a Steelers game in years!

:tt04:

RowHH
12-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Third Rail, if DirecTV just isn't in the cards for you, I'd suggest Red Zone as sort of a middle ground between Sunday Ticket and Redskins-dominated cable. I live in the DC suburbs as well and feel your pain. Cannot get DirectTV (long story) and also share the sentiment about sometimes not wanting to deal with the sports-bar scene.

I have followed a couple of Steelers games this season on Red Zone and NFL.com (the latter is only text but it is full play-by-play) and on those particular days it was fine.

I think if you have Comcast the Red Zone channel is free. If you have Fios it's either $50 for the year or, if you subscribe to a certain HD package, it is included. Red Zone has other merits as well but that's a separate thread, I guess.

stb_steeler
12-11-2010, 11:56 AM
NFL Package ain't expensive lol. Where im at the Super Sports Pack (NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, etc) is $30 a month.

For some reason its cheaper in canada than it is in US......wish we had that package. But at least i still get most games shown free on local tv.

BengalDestroyer
12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
BUY SUNDAY TICKET ON DIRECTV!!

sharkweek
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Steeler fans not only travel the best, we take over bars the best, I've yet to travel and not find a Steelers bar or even a neutral bar literally taken over with 50+% of the people in there with Steelers paraphernalia on when I needed to find a "friendly" place to watch the game :tt02:

SteelyDon
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Here's another wild suggestion. If you have a relative living anywhere in the Western Pa area that picks up the local Steelers broadcasts, you might be able to tie into their DishNetwork. Get a Sling Adapter from Dish, take it to the relative's location and see if you can connect it to their Dish Receiver. You may need their permission to use their Dish Network account on line if they are not using the service. Once the adapter is connected and the online account is activated you can connect via the internet to the local cable from anywhere in the country on your laptop or computer.

fordfan485
12-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Last year I went to BW3's probably for close to every game as none of them where on local except for prime time and vs the ravens. With food+beer for my self and the wife we spent enough in that sunday ticket would be cheaper. So i spent the $315 for sunday ticket and so far it has been a total waste of money. The only game I have had to use it for all year was the Buffalo game. I guess I will have to use it for the Cleveland game too. Next year I will not be renewing it or ever again in the future. I dont know why you cant just order the games a la carte or just the team you care about. I could give two shits less about the 15 other games on TV every weekend.

Goat27
12-12-2010, 04:56 AM
I use to go through that when i lived in NJ, Giants and Jets, now since i moved to las Vegas, honestly I catch alot of Steelers games on TV.. There is the map distribution of NFL games, gives you the area where the games will be played and who is covering it