PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Punter Kapinos' persistence pays off -- finally

mesaSteeler
12-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Steelers Notebook: Punter Kapinos' persistence pays off -- finally
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10345/1110014-66.stm

Saturday, December 11, 2010
By Bill Brink, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

By Week 14 of the NFL season, Jeremy Kapinos already had worked out for 12 teams. He signed with the Indianapolis Colts for one week. He came close to joining the Washington Redskins, but it didn't work out.

"You never know what it could lead to," Kapinos said. "Twelve weeks on the road, 12 different teams, different stadiums, practice facilities, met a bunch of coaches, so I've been all over the place."

After Steelers punter Daniel Sepulveda tore his anterior cruciate ligament in a 13-10 win against the Baltimore Ravens last weekend, Kapinos found a home. He worked out for the team and signed Tuesday with the Steelers.

"I had the opportunity to talk with Dan [Sepulveda] a bunch yesterday and pretty much all week," Kapinos said. "He's been very welcoming. It's unfortunate, definitely, because you never want to get work this way, but that's the reality of my situation as a journeyman."

Kapinos graduated from Penn State in 2006 as the school's leader in career punting yards and a Ray Guy Award finalist. He joined Green Bay near the end of the 2008 season and played in 16 Packers games in 2009. His experience there helped him adjust to joining the Steelers, a playoff team which may earn a first-round bye and has a chance to play deep into January.

"Last year, Green Bay was a pretty good team, and we got to go to the playoffs on the road," he said.

"Certainly, this is a little bit different. This is the Steelers. Everyone's doing a good job of making me feel welcome."

Whether or not he joined a team, all those tryouts helped him establish relationships with the teams and coaches around the league. In his line of work, those relationships could help in the future.

"Every workout I went to, I tried to do my best at," he said. "You do well at a team, they say, 'We just wanted to look at you, we got a steady guy who can punt now.' Something comes up, you can just call them and say, 'Would you mind calling this coach or that coach and help me out?' And they'll do that. These guys are really nice around the league."
Injury update

Right tackle Flozell Adams (high ankle sprain) practiced fully Friday as did safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles) and running back Isaac Redman (ankle). Defensive tackle Steve McLendon (stinger) did not practice Friday and is out of the game Sunday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10345/1110014-66.stm#ixzz17oxTWBrH

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2010, 01:53 PM
he has a career avg of 42.9.
if that was his avg this year he'd be 24th in the league
he's had 1 punt blocked

MikeHaullace
12-11-2010, 02:27 PM
he has a career avg of 42.9.
if that was his avg this year he'd be 24th in the league
he's had 1 punt blocked

I heard there was this one punter one time that never had a punt blocked.

Turkey lurkey lou... Turkey lurkey larkey...