PDA

View Full Version : Hall of a year for Woodson

mesaSteeler
12-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Hall of a year for Woodson
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/march/14/mehno-jokes-on-steelers-now.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Friday September 11, 2009 12:48 AM

PITTSBURGH — Still basking in the glory of induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Rod Woodson was back in town for yet another ceremony touting his greatness.

Woodson, the Steelers’ first-round pick in the 1987 draft, was honored Thursday afternoon, a few hours before his former team opened the season against the Tennessee Titans. He’s the latest Steeler to have a locker installed in the Coca Cola Great Hall, a wing at Heinz Field that serves as a museum commemorating many of the franchise’s most magical moments.

“It’s been a whirlwind, but being here kind of solidifies my part of being a Steeler,” said Woodson, a former defensive back who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August.

“I didn’t end (my career) with the Steelers but I think when you spend 10 years in one place, especially with the Pittsburgh Steelers, you’re always a Steeler. It’s truly an honor. Having that locker here, to me, it’s all surreal, kind of like the Hall of Fame.”
Advertisement Click Here

After leaving Pittsburgh following the 1996 season, Woodson played seven more years in the league with three other teams (San Francisco, Baltimore and Oakland). But he’ll always be most associated with the Steelers.

Woodson’s 71 career interceptions ranks third all-time.

Joining Woodson at the locker room ceremony was team president Art Rooney II and his father Dan Rooney, who returned to Pittsburgh by taking a break from his duties as the United States’ Ambassador to Ireland.

“If anyone deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, it’s Rod Woodson,” Dan Rooney said. “I am honored to say he was a Steeler, that he is a good friend and that he did everything right and he still does.”

Like other lockers on display at the Great Hall, Woodson’s includes items from his playing days with the Steelers including his jersey.

MikeHaullace
12-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Had it not been for Barry Sanders juking Woodson's ACL out of his knee, he would have never left.

fqFksT8wvXY

Set-Man
12-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I hope he associates himself as a Steeler. Whenever I hear him talk he is always supporting the Ravens. He was quite an athlete. Too bad he didn't win one with us.