PDA

View Full Version : Randel El is awesome

AndyWitmyer
12-12-2010, 01:16 PM
That was the single best reception I've seen this season, from any Steeler's receiver. Jumping up and snagging the ball with one hand before bringing it in for a reception that appeared nearly impossible to make. That was simply amazing.

For everyone bitching about the guy, I think he just made his best case yet for the Steelers taking him in. I know it's just one play, but wow...

:tt02:

AndyWitmyer
12-12-2010, 01:19 PM
It's just too bad we can't score 7 points on amazing drives like that. Fire Bruce Arians Immediately!

pete74
12-12-2010, 01:29 PM
everyone was just tearing up on el last week

btaylor179
12-12-2010, 01:30 PM
he still sux

PhantomJB93
12-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I am thankful for the catch, but for every good play he makes he has 10 awful ones...

lionslicer
12-12-2010, 01:34 PM
He's only good at amazing catches, but he can't make simple ones

AndyWitmyer
12-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Wow, great trick play! Randel El is inconsistent this season, but he's having a heck of a game today!

Third Rail
12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I've been tough on Randle El a lot, but he was nails today. That catch was phenomenal.

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 03:30 PM
i give him props for that catch but seriously, el can't get separation on defenders anymore, so nearly every pass he catches HAS to be a spectacular grab or it's incomplete. give me sanders any day of the week

Third Rail
12-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Speaking of Sanders, is he okay?

SoCalFan
12-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Sometimes!

Rick5895
12-12-2010, 03:36 PM
If they use El in those packages keep him around, but he is horrible returning punts anymore, but that gaffe by Brown just might keep El doing that.

AndyWitmyer
12-13-2010, 12:14 AM
If they use El in those packages keep him around, but he is horrible returning punts anymore, but that gaffe by Brown just might keep El doing that.

What I don't understand is why they El seems to be going for the fair catch almost 90% of the time (or more) - it's as if he's being instructed to do it, like if you see El on the field for a return you know that the Steelers (for whatever reason) are in the mood for a longer field. I don't think it's all El, and I think he's taking some heat for things he's being told to do.

That said, I agree with the others in that he seems to be making the most impressive receptions of the game....... or nothing. I still think he's got the talent, and I actually believe that his performance will maximize as the Steelers get into the last stretch of games and (hopefully) into the post-season.

lionslicer
12-13-2010, 01:41 AM
What I don't understand is why they El seems to be going for the fair catch almost 90% of the time (or more) - it's as if he's being instructed to do it, like if you see El on the field for a return you know that the Steelers (for whatever reason) are in the mood for a longer field. I don't think it's all El, and I think he's taking some heat for things he's being told to do.

That said, I agree with the others in that he seems to be making the most impressive receptions of the game....... or nothing. I still think he's got the talent, and I actually believe that his performance will maximize as the Steelers get into the last stretch of games and (hopefully) into the post-season.

This is a point I try to get passed people all the time... El usually doesn't muff punts, it happens, but 99% of the time he'll catch it, and if he lets it bounce, he'll make sure him nor anyone else in black touches it on accident. More than likely he's told to do this.

The problem people see is that why have El fair catch it at the 10 when Brown could catch it and atleast get to the 15-20. El is put out there because usually if a punt is landing in the 20, its a short punt, allowed kicking team to get down the field quicker, so there's no chance for a return anyways, and if there was, why risk the other team getting the ball in the redzone with a rookie who has already muffed a punt in game and probably muffed them in practice which is why it took the Steelers till the last half of the season to activated him full time.

StainlessStill
12-13-2010, 09:07 AM
As soon as Randle El caught that ball, I instantly stood up and yelled "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!" what a damn grab! He made a nice one earlier in the season as well, going up over a defender, maybe against Atlanta. El might not be explosive like he once was, but his veteran poise is something the young guys learn off of. He's a good player to have around and he loves Pittsburgh.

plenewken
12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
As soon as Randle El caught that ball, I instantly stood up and yelled "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY!" what a damn grab! He made a nice one earlier in the season as well, going up over a defender, maybe against Atlanta. El might not be explosive like he once was, but his veteran poise is something the young guys learn off of. He's a good player to have around and he loves Pittsburgh.

His catch was awesome, because Ben's pass was, like the majority of them, either underthrown or overthrown. I also remember Heath Miller having to extend his arms and jump as high as he could to catch one a couple weeks ago.
I know Ben is under a lot of pressure but it's not the only reason his % of completion is down this year.

StainlessStill
12-13-2010, 09:29 AM
His catch was awesome, because Ben's pass was, like the majority of them, either underthrown or overthrown. I also remember Heath Miller having to extend his arms and jump as high as he could to catch one a couple weeks ago.
I know Ben is under a lot of pressure but it's not the only reason his % of completion is down this year.

Even though Ben has been putting them high on occasion, I thought he had a great game yesterday throwing the football. When Ben gets going, he seriously heats up with accuracy. Randle EL might be the hardest receiver to hit in the open field some 20 yards down field and with the field conditions and laboring a broken foot, I'm not worried about Ben's footballs. Ben's a scrapper, people are going to have to realize that about his game. He will get it there.

DanRooney
12-13-2010, 11:10 AM
El needs to make these plays to even remain on the roster. Remember the reason he was demoted to a #5 receiver was because of his horrendous game against the Patriots.

Fire Arians
12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
El needs to make these plays to even remain on the roster. Remember the reason he was demoted to a #5 receiver was because of his horrendous game against the Patriots.

that and either sanders or brown are more productive just off talent alone, even without the full knowledge of the offense yet.

besides, that was an eye opener that we needed a change if we're going to compete with the top teams in the NFL. randle el isn't going to strike fear into any defense in the league. time for the young guys to get some game experience and contribute

plenewken
12-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Ben's a scrapper, people are going to have to realize that about his game.

I'm not an anti-Ben guy but I'm not in awe each time he touches the ball either. Objectively, for a guy counting >$12M against the cap every year, I expect more accurate passes, faster decisions and more production in the red zone.
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this post but I don't give a sh*t. It's my opinion.

SteelCityMom
12-13-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm not an anti-Ben guy but I'm not in awe each time he touches the ball either. Objectively, for a guy counting >$12M against the cap every year, I expect more accurate passes, faster decisions and more production in the red zone.
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this post but I don't give a sh*t. It's my opinion.

Definitely not gonna flame you, because I can understand where you're coming from. I just wish they'd give him an OL that a QB who makes his kind of money could really flourish under. Not saying he'd be perfect or anything...but it'd be nice if he was at least given a shot lol. Even with a halfway decent OL (like last year) he's shown he can do a lot better.

plenewken
12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Definitely not gonna flame you, because I can understand where you're coming from. I just wish they'd give him an OL that a QB who makes his kind of money could really flourish under. Not saying he'd be perfect or anything...but it'd be nice if he was at least given a shot lol. Even with a halfway decent OL (like last year) he's shown he can do a lot better.

I could make a case that with a half-way decent OL like last year, Ben registered a record number of yds but also a very poor redzone efficiency and a record number of sacks.
A >$12M/year QB has to find a way to put more points on the board, even with a lousy line.

SteelCityMom
12-13-2010, 01:23 PM
I could make a case that with a half-way decent OL like last year, Ben registered a record number of yds but also a very poor redzone efficiency and a record number of sacks.
A >$12M/year QB has to find a way to put more points on the board, even with a lousy line.

I hear ya. It just always pissed me off a little bit that after the year he had (offense wise) in '07 that they haven't really done much to put a decent OL in front of him. The sacks don't bother me so much, because that's just the way he plays. I know that's an old and tired statement, but it's true. I really do feel like injuries (to the OL), poor redzone play calling and poor blocking have more to do with redzone inefficiencies than anything else. He's back there throwing the ball, so of course he's partly to blame...but sometimes I just imagine what he could do if he had an OL like Brady, Manning and Rivers have. Not to mention the fact that we'd have a decent run game again.

This has been said time and time again here, but you'd just assume that if you give a guy a $100+ million dollar contract that you'd put the best talent you could find in front of him. Right now, the best talent in front of him is a rookie Pouncey (who is very good so far...but still a rookie), Kemo and Adams. Starks is good...but is always injured. Time for the FO to do something about giving Ben and Mendy the best chances they can to score points. They've been dragging their feet too long.

AndyWitmyer
12-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm not really sure why we're discussing Ben and the OL in a thread about how awesome El is... but I'll bite, lol.

You know, honestly... when I look at Ben, I see a leader who - even with a fractured foot and broken nose - is still on his feet. This, in spite of the fact that he's probably taking more (painfully illegal) hits than just about anyone else in the league. This, in spite of a cloud of controversy so all-encompassing that you have Steeler fans even admitting that maybe his hits are justified; that maybe the refs ought to turn a blind eye on any alleged rapist. This, in spite of the fact that he continues to work under a woefully inadequate play-caller, and behind a line so beat up that he has almost no other choice than to run for his life on almost every other play.

While this has certainly not been a career year for Ben, I think it's pretty sad seeing so many people so eager to discredit him. And some of his worst detractors these days can be found among the Steeler faithful, many of whom forgetting what this team was like before him.

So anyway... let me tell you how I really feel... lol. :chuckle:

StainlessStill
12-13-2010, 11:07 PM

It's cool dude, to each their own. Out of all active QB's playing in this league today, it's Tom Brady at #1 and Ben Roethlisberger at #2 when talking straight winning percentages. I'll take that over some ill-advised high throws from time to time.

plenewken
12-14-2010, 03:41 AM
It's cool dude, to each their own. Out of all active QB's playing in this league today, it's Tom Brady at #1 and Ben Roethlisberger at #2 when talking straight winning percentages. I'll take that over some ill-advised high throws from time to time.

I would like to see more of his winning % come from him and his offense rather than from the defense and the kicker, that's all. For the last 3 seasons, watching our offense struggle to put points on the board and seeing Ben sacked has become a habit and frankly, I could live without. It's frustrating.