PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and 4 at the 34

steelerchad
12-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Incomplete, sack, punt.

Isn't that 4 down territory.
Don't you run the ball twice, then a 3rd time if you're less than a yard away from a first down.

theplatypus
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
If they had run the ball twice half of Steeler Nation would be crying that Arians should have thrown the ball. No matter what he does the majority of the people here are going to cry about it.

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 05:41 PM
behind our o-line,we can't count on gaining 4 yards on 2 run plays. did you see how many players mendenhall had to dodge in order to gain 3 yarders? our offensive line is terrible.

saveus1011
12-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Arians didn't screw up today?

theplatypus
12-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Arians didn't screw up today?

No. Personally I think he calls a far better game than the majority of the people here give him credit for. Most people conveniently forget about the multitude of holding penalties, missed blocks etc and then blame the result on Arians not having a clue. There are times when a call has me completely puzzled, but for the most part he does a good job. For example, at the end of the game today he called a quick pass to Wallace with under a minute to play. We're up by 3 scores, absolutely nothing good can come from throwing in that situation just take a knee and let the clock run.

stb_steeler
12-12-2010, 06:10 PM
behind our o-line,we can't count on gaining 4 yards on 2 run plays. did you see how many players mendenhall had to dodge in order to gain 3 yarders? our offensive line is terrible.

OL exciting isnt it?......:doh:

Rick5895
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
No. Personally I think he calls a far better game than the majority of the people here give him credit for. Most people conveniently forget about the multitude of holding penalties, missed blocks etc and then blame the result on Arians not having a clue. There are times when a call has me completely puzzled, but for the most part he does a good job. For example, at the end of the game today he called a quick pass to Wallace with under a minute to play. We're up by 3 scores, absolutely nothing good can come from throwing in that situation just take a knee and let the clock run.
We can't block and take too many holding penalties. My issue with Arians is scheme. Too many times he empties the backfield , especially in goal to go situations. With our struggling OL we need to keep a back in the backfield. At the very least it keeps the LB's honest.

theplatypus
12-12-2010, 06:29 PM
We can't block and take too many holding penalties. My issue with Arians is scheme. Too many times he empties the backfield , especially in goal to go situations. With our struggling OL we need to keep a back in the backfield. At the very least it keeps the LB's honest.

If we ran out of the I people would complain about that scheme too. It all starts with the line. I posted this in the game day thread and I'll post it here too. If our line was even average then our running game is significantly improved which improves the play action pass and the deep ball. We consistently get burned on missed blocks and picking up the blitz. Toss in the 4-5 holding calls and false starts a game and you have what we've seen so many times, an anemic offense. Execution by our line is far more responsible for our offensive output than scheme.

saveus1011
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm not sayin' the guy was perfect today, but he didn't royally screw the pooch as he's known to do.

Chadmagic
12-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I understand that he may be calling a good game and that it comes down
To execution. But isn't he responsible for that too? Shouldn't he be held accountable for terrible offensive line play? It's not enough to call a good game on the day. But you also have to coach during the week.

Why is it that our defensive players love DL and give him praise for being a great coach and leader all week and on game day. Yet we NEVER hear the same praise on the offensive side?

Something to think about

cubanstogie
12-12-2010, 06:58 PM
pretty hard to armchair qb a decision that basically gave us a TD. pinning them at the 10 and then our D scores. Seems to me the coaches know this team better than most of us. Tomlin was aware the only reason they even got 7 was a couple of penalites, not to mention some non holding calls. Make them go the length instead of a 4th down stop giving them momentum. There not right all the time but in that case they were.

theplatypus
12-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I understand that he may be calling a good game and that it comes down
To execution. But isn't he responsible for that too? Shouldn't he be held accountable for terrible offensive line play? It's not enough to call a good game on the day. But you also have to coach during the week.

Why is it that our defensive players love DL and give him praise for being a great coach and leader all week and on game day. Yet we NEVER hear the same praise on the offensive side?

Something to think about

We have one above average player on the O-line and he's a rookie.
LT- Below average
LG- Average at best(probably closer too below avg)
C- Above average
RG -Below Average
RT- Average

You can't polish a turd.

tanda10506
12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I didn't think the play calling was to bad, but that's the problem, it's never "good". It's true that a lot of people would always complain about something, but determining when to run and what formation to run out of is kind of common sense. He's horrible at that. Running on 2nd and long and even 3rd and long is ridiculous. Then we pass on 3rd and 1. I try to cut him a break in his "better" games like these last 2, but if I see even one bubble screen, it's hard for me to overcome that and say he called a good game.

mesaSteeler
12-12-2010, 08:00 PM
If they had run the ball twice half of Steeler Nation would be crying that Arians should have thrown the ball. No matter what he does the majority of the people here are going to cry about it.

Well Arians could quit and then overwhelming majority of Steeler Nation would be dancing in the streets.

tony hipchest
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Incomplete, sack, punt.

Isn't that 4 down territory.
Don't you run the ball twice, then a 3rd time if you're less than a yard away from a first down.

you may be getting your lingo/football jargon a bit mixed up.

for those on the "inside" (coaches/players/analysts/talking heads with half a clue) 4 down territory refers to a team who is in that position, time is running down and they need a TD to score for any hopes of not losing.

the catchphrase is moot for a team that is up or a game that is not out of hand in the 1st 3 quarters.

grward
12-12-2010, 08:15 PM

+1

The one thing that continues to baffle me is the number of times we ATTEMPT the bubble screen. The ONLY time I've seen this work is when they throw it to Wallace and the defense is playing 10 yards off the line (to get a head start on the deep threat). Other than that, our execution of this play is horrible, but we try it 5-6 times each game. Maybe more. :screwy:

theplatypus
12-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Well Arians could quit and then overwhelming majority of Steeler Nation would be dancing in the streets.

And then they would scream and shout about how the new OC doesn't know what he's doing yada yada yada. Wash, rinse, and repeat until they fix the O-line. They took a big step forward with the addition of Pouncey. Our line wasn't great early in the season, but it was improved over last year and significantly better than what we have now. With a healthy Starks, Adams, and at least one solid guard our line is significantly better and dollars to donuts our offense is putting up 7. If Adams plays next year I wouldn't be surprised if Colon is moved inside to his natural position at guard and we see instant improvements across the board.

Chadmagic
12-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok but what can we do THIS SEASON?

LVSteelersfan
12-12-2010, 08:47 PM
People still tooting that horn of Colon playing guard. Ain't gonna happen. Obviously the Steeler's coaching staff think he is a tackle and only a tackle. Flozell is old as the hills. I wouldn't count on him coming back.

Arians is a moron. His play calling is pathetic. You can defend him all you want but the bottom line is putting TDs on the board and it is not happening. It is not only him but he is a major cause of it. The fact that Tomlin just gives him full charge of the play calling drives me crazy. I know people are saying we are 10-3. How can you complain? Because this could be a high powered offense with the talent they have and they flounder around and look like crap all the time.

theplatypus
12-13-2010, 06:10 AM
Ok but what can we do THIS SEASON?

Honestly, not much of anything. We can pray that someone knocks the Pats out of the playoffs or Brady breaks a leg.

People still tooting that horn of Colon playing guard. Ain't gonna happen. Obviously the Steeler's coaching staff think he is a tackle and only a tackle. Flozell is old as the hills. I wouldn't count on him coming back.

Does the coaching staff think he's a tackle or is he the best option that we have at tackle?