PDA

View Full Version : Right now we are #2 in the AFC!

Chadmagic
12-12-2010, 06:24 PM
NE improves to 11-2 and we are next in line at 10-3 as the Jets just lost to Miami and are 9-4. We play them next week and it'll be a great time to add some distance between us. Unfortunately the Pats are technically a game and a half ahead of us because of our loss to them. So even if they drop a game and they would still be the #1 seed going into the playoffs.

I'm getting excited by this as the #2 seed would still get a first round bye in the playoffs and a home game!

steelerchad
12-12-2010, 06:27 PM
The #1 seed is all but gone with the Pats win and Jets loss today. It would take 2 NE losses and winning all 3 remaining games for the Steelers. # 2 seed and the all important bye is very likely. If the Steelers win any 2 of their remaining 3 games, they will take the #2 seed even if Baltimore wins out.

If we lose 2 or our last 3, a # 2 seed is possible. But at that point there are a lot of scenarios where we could find ourselves anywhere from 2-6.

If we lose all 3 we can still be eliminated.

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
NE improves to 11-2 and we are next in line at 10-3 as the Jets just lost to Miami and are 9-4. We play them next week and it'll be a great time to add some distance between us. Unfortunately the Pats are technically a game and a half ahead of us because of our loss to them. So even if they drop a game and they would still be the #1 seed going into the playoffs.

I'm getting excited by this as the #2 seed would still get a first round bye in the playoffs and a home game!

we only gotta worry about the ravens catching up with us record wise for the #2 seed. we have a 2 game lead on the other division leaders (KC and Jaguars) so I wouldn't be too worried about them. We gotta hope baltimore loses tomorrow night.

jets can't get the #2 seed if new england is the division winner, best they can hope for, even if they finish with a better record than us is the #4 seed

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
hope for a baltimore loss so we have room to rest starters in the final game. biggest worry I have with this team is we're banged up big time. in order to have a CHANCE against NE, we will need to get healthy.

toughsticks87
12-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I actually hope we get the third seed. I don't want to see the Patriots* in the playoffs.

steelerchad
12-12-2010, 06:35 PM
hope for a baltimore loss so we have room to rest starters in the final game. biggest worry I have with this team is we're banged up big time. in order to have a CHANCE against NE, we will need to get healthy.

agreed. But if we win the next 2, we will get the luxury to rest our starters no matter what Baltimore does. We would also earn the bye. So, with the Thursday night game being on Dec 23rd, we could rest any banged up starters until the divisional round on January 16th. A 3 1/2 week break would be nice for some of the older veterans.

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I actually hope we get the third seed. I don't want to see the Patriots* in the playoffs.

well if we're making a trip to the super bowl, a showdown with them is inevitable. #2 or #3 seed doesn't matter, we're going to have to play them again.

i don't see them losing to anyone else in the afc. this steelers team may have a shot if we can avoid injuries and get healthy with a strong finish to this season, if we are able to rest starters in the last game and get a 1st round bye.

as much as i hate our chances at gillette stadium, i want to see the game there. I'm still sour over how they celebrated on our field after they beat us in the afc championship game years back. there's nothing more I'd like that to return the favor, on their field.

lionslicer
12-12-2010, 06:42 PM
well if we're making a trip to the super bowl, a showdown with them is inevitable. #2 or #3 seed doesn't matter, we're going to have to play them again.

i don't see them losing to anyone else in the afc. this steelers team may have a shot if we can avoid injuries and get healthy with a strong finish to this season, if we are able to rest starters in the last game and get a 1st round bye.

as much as i hate our chances at gillette stadium, i want to see the game there. I'm still sour over how they celebrated on our field after they beat us in the afc championship game years back. there's nothing more I'd like that to return the favor, on their field.

I'm sure there will be a lot of Steeler fans there anyways :tt04:

I hope a Steeler breaks Brady's back... Unless Ben becomes a touchdown machine, beating the Patriots with Brady on the field is next to impossible right now for any team in the NFL.

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 06:43 PM
agreed. But if we win the next 2, we will get the luxury to rest our starters no matter what Baltimore does. We would also earn the bye. So, with the Thursday night game being on Dec 23rd, we could rest any banged up starters until the divisional round on January 16th. A 3 1/2 week break would be nice for some of the older veterans.

yep would be nice. if baltimore loses the next game we may have to only win 1 more in order to get the #2 seed. the best the jagoffs or chiefs can finish at this point is 11-5, *if* they run the table.

toughsticks87
12-12-2010, 06:44 PM

At the very least, ,maybe another teams possibly takes them out or Brady tears his ACL or something.

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 06:45 PM

I hope a Steeler breaks Brady's back... Unless Ben becomes a touchdown machine, beating the Patriots with Brady on the field is next to impossible right now for any team in the NFL.

i'll be honest i don't like our chances vs the pats much better on our own homefield. it's not like in the past homefield advantage vs brady ever meant anything.

it's a shame we've had so many injuries to the o-line early in the season, i thought early on we were the best team until we started having injuries pile up. however aaron smith coming back and a chance to rest some key defensive players in the end of the season gives me a little hope. chances are grim but i'll keep the faith.

SteelyDon
12-12-2010, 06:46 PM
The way I see it Baltimore will more than likely be the 6th seed. In that scenario they will win their first round game against the number three seed. They would then play NE on the road and might pull off the upset. If anyone can Baltimore is the best team other to Pittsburgh to knock them off. In that case, they would then travel to Pittsburgh for the AFC Championship. NE is peaking too soon and will can lose to Baltimore in the first playoff game.

steelerchad
12-12-2010, 06:57 PM
yep would be nice. if baltimore loses the next game we may have to only win 1 more in order to get the #2 seed. the best the jagoffs or chiefs can finish at this point is 11-5, *if* they run the table.

Well, if Baltimore loses 1 of there next 2 and finishes at 11-5, we've got problems if we lose 1 of our next 2. We would have to beat Cleveland at that point as we would lose an 11-5 tiebreaker with Baltimore if we lost to Cleveland. This would make us unable to rest starters. The only way we get to rest against Cleveland is if we win the next 2 or Baltimore loses 2 of their next 3 starting with tomorrow night.

mesaSteeler
12-12-2010, 07:17 PM
i'll be honest i don't like our chances vs the pats much better on our own homefield. it's not like in the past homefield advantage vs brady ever meant anything.

it's a shame we've had so many injuries to the o-line early in the season, i thought early on we were the best team until we started having injuries pile up. however aaron smith coming back and a chance to rest some key defensive players in the end of the season gives me a little hope. chances are grim but i'll keep the faith.

Relecutlanly I agree. It's even worse because when play the Cheats we will be outnumbered 3 to 1. How do I arrive at that you may ask?

1. Our first opponent will be the Cheats themselves.
2. Our second opponent will be the refs. As we saw today Ben can be hit in head and hit late and there will be no flags. However if a Steeler defender even looks at the Lord God Brady they will be flagged or ejected.
3. Our third opponent will be His Corruptness himself, Roger the Steeler hater Goodell. I'm sure he will do everything he can to prevent the Steelers from winning.

grward
12-12-2010, 07:30 PM
At the very least, ,maybe another teams possibly takes them out or Brady tears his ACL or something.

I'd rather we beat him at his healthiest ... playing his worst game of his career ... on his field. Screw Marsha!

jamesharrisonst
12-12-2010, 07:30 PM

I agree with being sore at thier celebration. I think we should make Deion Branch towels we can all step on after our victory in foxboro !

toughsticks87
12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
On the bright side, if they play in Foxboro, I can go to my first Steelers game. But....should I?

SH-Rock
12-12-2010, 07:35 PM
The Patriots are scary. We can't put that many points on the board or defend that many.

PhantomJB93
12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Actually, in all honesty I might not mind a loss to NY next week, if we can get Baltimore to fall to the sixth seed, they would presumably face NE before we would have to and they always play New England surprisngly well, they're the only team that can beat the Pats with Brady IMO and Id rather face the Jets followed by the Ravens than the Ravens followed by the Patiots in the playoffs...

This is all assuming there are no major upsets of course, which is probably a bad assumption...

rich4eagle
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Steelers beat the Jets next week they lock up a playoff position. That game is huge. So Win. After that get as healthy as possible for the playoffs and hope for the best.

Atlanta Dan
12-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Agreed - Pats-Steelers probably is 6 weeks away - get a bye then worry about what follows

As Tomlin has advised in the past, I plan to enjoy the journey rather than focus exclusively on the end point - to date this has been an outstanding season

If anyone would have said in July the Steelers would have a 10-3 record with 3 games to go and an inside track on a first round bye I would have suggested they put away the crack pipe

steelerchad
12-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Sure it's premature, but I'm a fan and like looking ahead. The most likely scenario for the playoffs have NE 1 and Pit 2 getting the byes. The 5 and 6 will most likely be Balt and NY. The 3 and 4 will probably be either KC or SD and Jax or Indy. 5 and 6 in my opionion will be more dangerous teams than 3 or 4, but 3 and 4 will be home. I believe it's likely that one of the home teams would win and one of them would lose, which would send either the Ravens or Jets to NE and the 3 or 4 seed to Pit.

At that point I like NE to win at home, but I give Balt or NY a better chance at an upset than any of the other 4 contenders. I really think there is a chance for a repeat of 08. Balt at Pit in the AFCC game.

Fire Arians
12-12-2010, 08:16 PM
balt has the only shot for a div. round upset of the pats imo. the jets are falling apart, after getting destroyed by the pats they didn't bounce back like a contender should. sanchez is garbage. baltimore usually always plays tough in big games, i've never seen them get blown out, well because of their defense mostly. now if they can stop the NE scoring machine, that's another question. if any team can do it though, it'd most likely be the ravens.

steelerchad
12-12-2010, 08:20 PM
balt has the only shot for a div. round upset of the pats imo. the jets are falling apart, after getting destroyed by the pats they didn't bounce back like a contender should. sanchez is garbage. baltimore usually always plays tough in big games, i've never seen them get blown out, well because of their defense mostly. now if they can stop the NE scoring machine, that's another question. if any team can do it though, it'd most likely be the ravens.

Agreed. This is why a Pit 2 seed and Balt 6 seed is our best realistic playoff scenario. I believe Balt would beat the #3 division winner and then give the Pats a game. Even if they didn't win, they would give them a physical game if we are fortunate enough to reach the Championship game.

pittguy578
12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Hopefully the Ravens lost tomorrow night. If they do, then all the Steelers have to do is win two more games. If they beat the Jets and then the Panthers, then they should rest every major starter for the Browns game.
Only way they beat NE at home is to have defense in top shape come the playoffs. Maybe Aaron Smith will be back.

jjpro11
12-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Agreed. This is why a Pit 2 seed and Balt 6 seed is our best realistic playoff scenario. I believe Balt would beat the #3 division winner and then give the Pats a game. Even if they didn't win, they would give them a physical game if we are fortunate enough to reach the Championship game.

that's what i am thinking also.. i don't see any other team giving New England a real scare.

Chiefs - Belichick know's this team inside and out given the history.. plus their team isn't nearly experienced or talented enough.

Jaguars - negative 36 net points this year.. how the hell is this team in 4th place in the AFC?

Jets - seems like they've pretty much been exposed. they have a decent history against NE and i suppose could turn things around like they did last year when they spanked the Bengals.

Ravens - have the best chance of any team because of the way they match-up.

Chargers - the ultimate playoff chokers... talented team though.

Colts - they lose as soon as they step off the plane in New England.

Dolphins - no chance

1st&Goal
12-12-2010, 09:25 PM

I don't care who does it, but for God's sake I hope someone puts a stake through the heart of Gaydy and the rest of the fags.

steve314
12-13-2010, 04:25 AM

I doubt Baltimore will lose to Houston, unfortunately....

The Steelers could lose the tiebreaker to the Jags on conference record, right? The Jags would have just 3 conference losses and the Steelers could have 4 if they fall to 11-5.

Hopefully it won't come down to that. If the Steelers just win their next two, I am hoping they would win the tiebreaker with Baltimore (if they both finished 12-4)--is that common games?--and they could rest their starters for the final week of the season and the bye.

steve314
12-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Actually, in all honesty I might not mind a loss to NY next week, if we can get Baltimore to fall to the sixth seed, they would presumably face NE before we would have to and they always play New England surprisngly well, they're the only team that can beat the Pats with Brady IMO and Id rather face the Jets followed by the Ravens than the Ravens followed by the Patiots in the playoffs...

This is all assuming there are no major upsets of course, which is probably a bad assumption...

Yes, assuming the Jets win their first round playoff game (if they make the playoffs) is definitely not a sure thing.

SacknificentStew56
12-13-2010, 05:35 AM

I would beat give them a dose of their own medicine will more slants, screens, ins and outs to Mike HaulA$$, Sanders and Brown. I got nothin' but love for Hines but I want to see screens from the younger guys instead of from him.That's crap that Welker and Woodhead run isn't rocket science.

Quasar
12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
jets can't get the #2 seed if new england is the division winner, best they can hope for, even if they finish with a better record than us is the #4 seed
No, Jets can only hope for the #5 seed, at best. Division winners get the #1-4 seeds,
and it's almost a given that the Pats take the East.

Fire Arians
12-13-2010, 11:20 AM
No, Jets can only hope for the #5 seed, at best. Division winners get the #1-4 seeds,
and it's almost a given that the Pats take the East.

that's right, 5 is what i meant, my bad. was trying to point out that if they weren't a division winner the best they can get is wildcard even if they finish with a better rec than us (although they won't)

realdeal
12-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Let's hope they play the Ravens again this year! They play them well and it was great seeing them get destroyed last year in the playoffs!!
:tt03:

Atlanta Dan
12-13-2010, 02:00 PM
It looks right now as if Ravens will get the #5 seed and Jets #6 seed

Patriots will get the #1 seed and then play the lowest seed in the second round.

So my goal is for the Ravens to win their playoff game and Jets to lose theirs. That will lead to a Ravens-Pats second round playoff game.

Ravens play the Pats as well as anyone and certainly better than the Steelers do

ricardisimo
12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
It looks right now as if Ravens will get the #5 seed and Jets #6 seed

Patriots will get the #1 seed and then play the lowest seed in the second round.

So my goal is for the Ravens to win their playoff game and Jets to lose theirs. That will lead to a Ravens-Pats second round playoff game.

Ravens play the Pats as well as anyone and certainly better than the Steelers do
What you want is for the Ravens to get the #6 spot (which looks unlikely) and then to keep winning until they meet us. :thumbsup:

Not to nitpick, but weren't we already no. 2 in the AFC last week?

steelerohio
12-13-2010, 02:20 PM
It would be more preferable for the Ravens to lose out the rest of the season and miss out on the playoffs entirely...

Rotorhead
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
After this weeks games, how do the Bolts match-up with the Pats? Maybe they can sneak in as a WC ( hoping for a speedy return of Cassel for KC to win the AFCW) and they have a good offense and decent def. The remaining schedule for the jets might put them out as I can see them losing at least 2 more. Not even sure if they can ge in without winning the AFCW though, just thinking out loud.

MDSteel15
12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Let's see... the Jets and Clowns are the only teams to beat the Cheatriots so it doesn't really matter to me who we play as long as we find a way to XLIV!!!

steeltheone
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
It would be more preferable for the Ravens to lose out the rest of the season and miss out on the playoffs entirely...

I agree!!!!

SH-Rock
12-13-2010, 05:57 PM

I'd rather vs the Ravens than the Pats.

btaylor179
12-13-2010, 06:37 PM
yea ne is def best team out there!