PDA

View Full Version : Mad Cow? Bird Flu? Here's the Next Big Thing to be Paranoid About...

Suitanim
04-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Eye Fungus.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/health/8496958/detail.html

DENVER -- A dangerous fungal infection is spreading across the country right now.It's called fusarium and it attacks the eyes, potentially blinding you.Doctors are warning everyone to be careful, but especially those who wear contacts.Alison Bregman-Rodriguez, who wears contacts, said she came home from work one day and knew something was really wrong.

“The pain was excruciating, I felt like lightning was in and out of my eye,” said Bregman-Rodriguez. Fusarium has been traced to Asia, and now doctors at one eye clinic in the United States are reporting nearly two dozen cases in just the past three months. Nearly half of the cases involve contact wearers. Previously most eye doctors would treat just one or two cases per year, and almost never in people who wore contacts.

“We're puzzled, we don’t know why some are getting the infection and other patients are not,” said Dr. Eduardo Alfonso of the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. The fungus grows within the cornea, which is the transparent window covering the eye. If the infection isn’t treated with anti-fungal drugs quickly, it can cause permanent eye damage, and even blindness.Bregman-Rodriguez lost her vision for about a month due to the fungus, but did regain her eyesight. Unfortunately she has permanent scarring and vows never to wear contacts again. She says glasses are now her best friend. The alarming spread of this eye fungus has experts baffled. If you have any concerns about your eyes, you are advised to see your eye care professional immediately.

3 to be 4
04-06-2006, 11:56 PM
fusarium? back in my day it was called "masterbating too much"

tony hipchest
04-07-2006, 12:17 AM

dude. your killing me :sofunny:

melroseplace
04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
how does it spread?

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 09:38 AM
how does it spread?

Sounds like contact wearers spreading it from one to another...you know, put in a contact, then touch a phone or keyboard or something shared with another contact wearer who then takes their contact out.

3 to be 4
04-07-2006, 03:04 PM
whenever im mad at somebody at work I do the thing Elaine on "Seinfeld" did and I take their keyboard and rub it all over my ass.

Justin Otstott
04-07-2006, 04:47 PM
thank God i dont wear those things. What's next?

3 to be 4
04-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Larry Fine had the same problem. Too many eye gauges.

MattsMe
04-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Fusarium is a fungus that mainly affects plants. It's a fairly common problem in nurseries. I had no idea it could harm your eyes though.

Justin Otstott
04-08-2006, 12:11 PM
we will all become Zombies in the coming years....

SteelerzGirl
04-08-2006, 01:49 PM

:rofl:

Didn't anyone tell you that you would go blind from doing that too much?

MattsMe
04-09-2006, 01:23 AM
:rofl:

Didn't anyone tell you that you would go blind from doing that too much?

They also told me I'd get hair on my palms, but I never saw any...oh shit, I'm blind!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Glad I could never wear contacts !!!

Suitanim
04-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Here's the scoop on the cause.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12257519/from/RS.1/

Contact lens solution eyed in fungus outbreak
Bausch & Lomb product linked to infection that can cause blindness