PDA

View Full Version : Rooney: Steeler fans discriminated against last year

BlitzburghRockCity
04-07-2006, 01:40 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_441131.html

President Art Rooney II said Steelers fans were victims of discrimination last season.

Opposing teams did all they could to keep Steelers fans out of their stadiums, Rooney said, whether it was forcing them to buy tickets for multiple games or by instructing their fans not to sell tickets to people in the 412 telephone area code.

Rooney broached the topic to other owners prior to the NFL's annual meeting last month in an effort to curtail these practices.

"We were not able to get it on the agenda, so I guess we will have to go through another year that Steelers fans will have to scramble to try to find tickets," Rooney said. "We submitted a resolution where we asked the league to consider not allowing teams to engage in some of the practices they were engaging in as we understood it last year, where they wouldn't sell to people calling from the 412 area code and trying to discern who the buyers were and discriminate against Steelers fans ...

"Obviously, they can market their own fans and put the effort out to get their own people in the building. But we just felt like, once they put the tickets on sale to the general public, they shouldn't be discriminating against Steelers fans."

With the Steelers coming off of a Super Bowl title, their powerful fan base likely will invade stadiums in Jacksonville, San Diego, Atlanta, Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore, Carolina and Cincinnati next season.

Rooney will continue to mention other teams' ticket-selling practices at league functions, even though it was not well received at the annual meeting.

"It wasn't received at all, so I guess that tells you something," Rooney said. "It can still come up at the May meeting. We will, obviously, push for that. It turned out that there was probably more on the agenda, and things took longer to get through at this last meeting than we expected. It wasn't the only resolution that didn't get considered. Maybe we will be able to get it considered when we go there in May."

BlitzburghRockCity
04-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Its gonna be even worse this year, since we're the world champs. We'll be lucky to get seats in the nose bleed section at some games so it looks like we'll have to find alternative ways to get tickets. Send money to a fan in that area if you can and let them order your tickets, we have alot of SF members all over the country who can help us out cuz u know the ticket offices screen calls. So block your caller id when you call if you have too. Use a PO box, have the tickets mailed to a friend in the area, anything you can think of to keep the black n gold in the rival stadiums for away games !!! :tt:

The can gripe and complain but they cant keep us down !!

MattsMe
04-07-2006, 01:50 AM
I remember reading somewhere about opposing teams placing ads in local newspapers asking people not to sell tickets to Steeler fans. That they would have to do that is just sad.
Soon they'll be making ticket buyers sign contracts promising not to sell to us. Or offering discounts to fans of the home team. Aren't they embarassed by any of this??

OX1947
04-07-2006, 02:05 AM
I live in San Diego and there is a large Raider following and they pulled the same crap on Raider games where you had to buy 3 games worth of tickets in order to get Raider tickets. I think that should be resolved. If people are encourged not to sell to someone thats one thing, but ******* someone by making them buy tickets for games they dont care for is another. Besides, it doesnt matter. As you saw many times in the Indy game, Manning was signaling to the crowd to be quiet on those last drives and it was still loud because it was Steeler fans yelling. I have been in San Diego 10 years, I saw Qualcomm Stadium have an a$$ in every single seat only 3 times since I have been here. First was SB 32, second SB 37, and third, last years Pitt, SD game. I could not believe how full it was, I mean tickets were still being sold after the 1st quarter ended.

Steeler fans, Packer fans, and KC fans travel like college teams. The only thing that separates those three is that for some weird reason, Steeler fans are spread out EVERYWHERE. I mean, you can go to any town or city and Steeler fans are there.

SteelerzGirl
04-07-2006, 03:00 AM
Art II should just let it go and not bring it up again, although he says he will again in May. Steelers fans are everywhere and we'll get tickets one way or another...(lol). Let those opposing teams keep trying to keep us out of their stadiums. There is no stopping Steeler Nation!!! We shall prevail! :bouncy:

Haiku_Dirtt
04-07-2006, 03:25 AM
As a Steeler fan it makes me livid.

But this IS America. And I would be a hipocrat if I were to suggest that we block this creative ticket packaging. Conversely, would it be better if Steeler fans were prohibited from attending the game.

Should anyone be entitled to attend a sporting event?

The Rooney's are rock solid. The fact that other fans don't inundate Heinz Field should be satisfactory.

Steeler football...now an international phenomenon.

FisherMOM
04-07-2006, 08:33 AM
They all discriminated against us out of FEAR!!!! :bouncy:

JoeyPorter#55
04-07-2006, 10:52 AM
31 other mother:busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: in' teams are scared of us!!! We brought the pain in the form of an eight-game winning streak, KO'd three top seeded AFC teams and held the NFL's highest scoring team to a d:egg: :egg: :egg: ning 10 points!!!!!

They all better be scared of the men from the proud hometown of Dennis Miller, Jeff Goldblum, and Bill Cowher......we are bringing the mother:busted: :busted: :busted: :busted: in' PAIN AGAIN!!!!!!!

SID
04-07-2006, 02:27 PM
The best was last year when Mike Tice got mad at the amount of Steeler fans at the Metrodome, and said season ticket holders shouldn't sell there tickets . Meanwhile he's the guy that was fined $100,000 for scalping SB tickets.

clevestinks
04-07-2006, 03:41 PM
It will be twice as hard to get seats cuz we will be getting some infiltrated fans also! Turning colors, everyone wants to dress Black & Gold

Mr. Clean
04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
I think that Dan Rooney should not have spoken up about this.

Making fans buy two additional game tickets just because they want to see the Steeler game is gouging, but the other team owners are within their rights to do it.

I don't see there being a lot of opportunity for Steeler fans to see out of town games this season. San Diego and Oakland are bound to pull the "buy the Steeler tickets, buy two more" stunt.
Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland and likely Baltimore will be sold out by the home folks, which leaves Charlotte.

Save the money for Miami in February.

steelcityjameser
04-07-2006, 09:03 PM
It will be twice as hard to get seats cuz we will be getting some infiltrated fans also! Turning colors, everyone wants to dress Black & Gold

the only drawback to winning it all. i don't live in the pittsburgh area but i am sure alot of bandwagoners will pop up in my area as well. i hate sellouts.

j-dawg
04-07-2006, 09:07 PM

umm... not me... hehehehe...

MattsMe
04-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Discouraging Steeler fans from attending away games is stupid on their part, especially if those fans are traveling to that city to watch the game. Think of how much money we pump into their local economies when we come into town to watch a game. Hotel, food, etc. Ever hear of a city discouraging tourists? Me either. If a local fan goes to the game, he/she buys a ticket, a drink or two at the stadium, and goes home. Keeping us out is only costing their cities money.

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Discouraging Steeler fans from attending away games is stupid on their part, especially if those fans are traveling to that city to watch the game. Think of how much money we pump into their local economies when we come into town to watch a game. Hotel, food, etc. Ever hear of a city discouraging tourists? Me either. If a local fan goes to the game, he/she buys a ticket, a drink or two at the stadium, and goes home. Keeping us out is only costing their cities money.

Look no further than Cincinnati. Hell, we have been helping that franchise for the last fifteen years with ticket sales.

SteelCityMan786
04-08-2006, 03:29 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_441131.html

President Art Rooney II said Steelers fans were victims of discrimination last season.

Opposing teams did all they could to keep Steelers fans out of their stadiums, Rooney said, whether it was forcing them to buy tickets for multiple games or by instructing their fans not to sell tickets to people in the 412 telephone area code.

Rooney broached the topic to other owners prior to the NFL's annual meeting last month in an effort to curtail these practices.

"We were not able to get it on the agenda, so I guess we will have to go through another year that Steelers fans will have to scramble to try to find tickets," Rooney said. "We submitted a resolution where we asked the league to consider not allowing teams to engage in some of the practices they were engaging in as we understood it last year, where they wouldn't sell to people calling from the 412 area code and trying to discern who the buyers were and discriminate against Steelers fans ...

"Obviously, they can market their own fans and put the effort out to get their own people in the building. But we just felt like, once they put the tickets on sale to the general public, they shouldn't be discriminating against Steelers fans."

With the Steelers coming off of a Super Bowl title, their powerful fan base likely will invade stadiums in Jacksonville, San Diego, Atlanta, Oakland, Cleveland, Baltimore, Carolina and Cincinnati next season.

Rooney will continue to mention other teams' ticket-selling practices at league functions, even though it was not well received at the annual meeting.

"It wasn't received at all, so I guess that tells you something," Rooney said. "It can still come up at the May meeting. We will, obviously, push for that. It turned out that there was probably more on the agenda, and things took longer to get through at this last meeting than we expected. It wasn't the only resolution that didn't get considered. Maybe we will be able to get it considered when we go there in May."

This is to the fans of the other teams who to discriminate us.

Drop the discrimination acts when you sell your tickets, that's just a cheap way to cry to the nfl about us following our team. I was at the New Years Day game against Detroit this past year and we didn't give a shit about their fans coming to Pittsburgh since all they were doing was following their team like all the other fans of the NFL. Develop some class. I was a fan at the Penn State Pitt game back in 2000 that was at Three Rivers and NO ONE had a problem I was there and I was a Penn State Fan along with the others who came from West Central PA. Now is it a crime to have a classy fans in your stadium or do you want jackasses who are there only to stir up trouble and then have to have security guards clear a whole section of seating so that by the time the game reaches the 4th quarter all there is left in the stadium are the stadium Security guards and what's going on the field. and No I am not talking about the fans of the other teams who actually don't give a shit that fans from other teams who are in attendance and treat them the way they want to be treated. In fact those who act like classy fans toward the opposing teams should be commended for what they do. It can be an example to those who to discriminate towards the fans of the opposing teams.

Milkman
04-08-2006, 09:02 PM
SID, that video in your sig is hilarious! :rofl:

SID
04-08-2006, 09:47 PM
SID, that video in your sig is hilarious! :rofl:

Thanks, Palmer has the reflexes of a cat..........................a dead cat

Also I agree 83-Steelers-43, I think Steeler fans payed half of the bill for Heinz Field West oh I mean Paul Brown Stadium.

Mr. Clean
04-09-2006, 09:52 AM
There used to be an NFL rule that dictated that each team had to set aside a number of tickets for fans of the visiting team for purchase by their fans. I do not know if this rule is still in place. The Steelers had to do this as well. Tickets that were not purchased by fans of the visiting teams were then turned back to the Steelers for public sale. One could buy these tickets through the mail by sending in a check with an order form that you could cut out of the local newspaper. Groups also bought their tickets this way - when I lived in the DC area our Steeler fan club had a group that came to Pittsburgh for one game a year.

I do not know how other teams handle it, but one can bet ticket brokers will be making offers to buy tickets in Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, San Diego, Oakland, etc. so they can resell them to Steeler fans (at a big markup) and to groups that put together tour packages.

Hey, it's tough to get to a Steeler game whether or not you live in Pittsburgh. I haven't gone to a Steeler game since 1998.

beSteelmyheart
04-09-2006, 10:01 PM
The other teams wish they had fans like us.
The season before last, we took over the Jags game, & set a record for attendance at that stadium. And I'll be there with my fellow black & gold bruthas & sistahs this season!

I just don't think the other teams have the loyalty & the balls to "take over" Heinz Field-it just aint gonna happen.

They can try to keep us out..but we are everywhere!:yeehaw:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Living in Cleveland I hear about the "Worldwide Browns Backers" and how "loyal" Browns fans are,which is a bunch of crap.

The season Butch Davis quit,a local new station put two "Dawg Pound" tickets for the season finale on a downtown light-post and the day of the game they were still there.Do that in Pittsburgh,even if we had a season like the Clowns did that year,and they'd be gone in five minutes.The Browns only fill thier stadium three times a year,Home Opener and the two games against the Steelers...and those two games against the Steelers it's at least half Steeler fans and by halftime almost all the Browns fans have left.

The reason the Browns have the "largest official worldwide fanclub" of any NFL team is because they are the ONLY NFL team with one.

The Steelers don't need a gimmick like that to show of thier loyal fans.It's seen every Sunday on TV when the entire stadium at Heinz Field is filled with Black & Gold (in the sea of B&G the few fans of the opposing team that are there aren't even seen),and in other cities we play in where you see at least 1/3 of the stadium in Black & Gold and it's loud as hell when the home team wants it to be quiet.

Other teams wish they had fans as loyal and rabbid as the Steelers do.Unfortunatly,they never will.