PDA

View Full Version : How much and who rests?

Rotorhead
12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
In the event we lock up the 2nd seed (or first) before the stains, I am not so sure if we should rest everyone for the last game. If I recall that will be 2.5 weeks between games (I think we play on thursday before the stains but could be wrong) for the ppl resting. Obviously we need to get healthy, but as much as a dbl edged sword it would be our Oline needs more work together and our young receivers could use more xp as well. Do we risk more Oline injuries in the name of cohesion, what about the reps for Ben and Co to fix our ailing redzone offense? Obviously we can rest alot of the def as they are playing lights out. Get Troy and Smith Healthy, and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt Keisel to get a bit more rest. Just wondering what the general consensus is on this.

Whodis
12-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Good question, would you wait to see what happens after the Jets game to figure out where we stand? If we rested our o-line the qb would be out for the playoffs. We're obviously deeper on coaching and talent at defense so I see no problem resting them.

With that said, I see no problem resting Arians during the playoffs.

MattsMe
12-13-2010, 02:41 PM
With that said, I see no problem resting Arians during the playoffs.

:applaudit:

lionslicer
12-13-2010, 02:50 PM
rest players who need time to heal like Troy and certain offensive linemen. Maybe Mendy if he isn't 100%. But a majority of the starters should still play because taking 2 weeks off would cause them to be rusty first playoff game. Remember back in 2004, Steelers sat starters last week of the season and had a bye, and they almost lost their first playoff game to the Jets.

finesward
12-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Treat it like a preseason game, play for 2 scores or 1 half, then put in the subs. Except the ones who are really banged up or savy vets like troy/farrior/kiesel/hines. Let em sit

pete74
12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
how wold that work if baltimore won the rest of there games? they beat us once and we beat them once. if we lost to clevland we would have the same div and conf record as baltimore

tanda10506
12-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Treat it like a preseason game, play for 2 scores or 1 half, then put in the subs. Except the ones who are really banged up or savy vets like troy/farrior/kiesel/hines. Let em sit

I would go this route

MDSteel15
12-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Ask the Colts who should rest... Oh that's right, THEY LOST!

SteelCityMom
12-13-2010, 04:00 PM
how wold that work if baltimore won the rest of there games? they beat us once and we beat them once. if we lost to clevland we would have the same div and conf record as baltimore

It actually goes to common games before it goes to conference record.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

I'm assuming in that situation it would go to the Steelers since the Steelers beat Atlanta (they lost) and the Bungles twice (they lost one). I think the fact that we beat the Bungles twice gives us a small cushion on the Jets game...but if we lose that one, we can't lose the Carolina or Cleveland game.

mikegrimey
12-13-2010, 04:01 PM

I think the next tie breaker after division record is conference record, I am not sure where we stand in that regard.

I am thinking we will play the game to win just like we did back in 08. Some people may rest if the 2 seed is locked up (Polamalu I'm thinking) but I think we will still play the game with most of the starters.

steve314
12-13-2010, 04:15 PM
It actually goes to common games before it goes to conference record.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

I'm assuming in that situation it would go to the Steelers since the Steelers beat Atlanta (they lost) and the Bungles twice (they lost one). I think the fact that we beat the Bungles twice gives us a small cushion on the Jets game...but if we lose that one, we can't lose the Carolina or Cleveland game.

Actually I think the common games would be tied also.

Yes, the Steelers beat CIN twice and ATL, but BAL would've beaten CLE twice and NO in this scenario.

So I think it goes to the 5th tiebreaker (strength of victory), which is very close right now, but subject to change based on how the teams we've beaten (but BAL has not) do in the next few weeks--OAK, ATL, TEN, and CIN (we beat them twice and BAL once). See the thread called "Go Raiders".