PDA

View Full Version : Ward, T.O., and Moss

NEWstevo
12-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Hines Ward (34), Terrell Owens (37), and Randy Moss (33)… all three vets will be Hall of Famers some day, but each has their own style. And to be honest, right now Ward is the best one of the three.

I’m too tired to look up stats to back up my opinion so I’ll just go by what I see on game days:

Hines Ward is 34 but still gives 100% every play. He makes big plays, small plays, AND he contributes even when he makes no plays. He is a team leader, a mentor to the younger guys, and always a positive player in the locker room. He won’t always make over 100 yards but he is easily the most physical of the three (even has a rule named after him). Oh, and he has personally changed the way receivers play the game. Plus has things the other two don't have... Super Bowl rings and a SB MVP.

Terrell Owens is 37 and is the epitome of the “me-first” video game players that spend just as much time smiling for cameras as they do playing the actual game. But I will always cut him slack because he gives 110%, 24 hours a day. At San Francisco he would always be the first one on the field and the last one to leave. One hot summer practice… when the other teammates were dead tired after practice, T.O. took off the pads and ran laps followed by a militant amount of push-ups and sit-ups (have you seen his abs?). He comes with some baggage, but even on a 2-11 team, he is giving his best. When it comes to playing the game, he is definitely the man you want on your team.

Randy Moss is 33, and he makes every other receiver around him better. And he probably will catch everything throw his way (even the bad ones). But he comes with more baggage than Ruth DeWitt Bukater (the snooty mom from the movie Titanic): he complains a lot, gives up on plays that don’t involve him, has even quit before a game ended, throws temper tantrums, and has a whole Wikipedia page devoted to his controversies. This year no one wants him and he is not helping his team(s) win. The youngest of the three and he has already stopped contributing.

Though the years, while T.O. and Moss were lighting up the stat boards, few people outside of Pittsburgh would put Ward up there with those two. But now at the end of their careers, we all see the players for what they REALLY are. And it is obvious that Hines Ward is as deserving a HOF vote as Terrell Owens and Randy Moss.

He would get my single vote (if I had one).

Fire Arians
12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
ward is the very definition of what a football player should be. definitely will be in the HOF someday. if not, well, something's wrong with the voting system.

ktm5411
12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
If I'm not mistaking, Ward's also has 2 more rings that the other 2 combined.

TRH
12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
the casual, know-nothing football fan would dismiss this and say "man, you don't know what you're talking about, Randy Moss is the best, blah, blah, blah" (with no facts to back anything up...).
But you are right. If you take everything into account.....the hands, the routes, the blocking (can you imagine how many points he's got us with insanely good and timely blocks?), the consistency, the leadership, the class...
There's no question about it. Hines is the best of the 3 hands down. Plus, if i'm not mistaken, he has some PRETTY good all-time stats racked up as well.

I wouldn't even want T.O. on my team.

dez09231
12-14-2010, 07:09 AM
I love PItt, but lets be real, Ward is the least talented of the 3 and will make the HoF last of them. The other 2 are 1st or 2nd ballot, and it's going to take Hines longer to get in because he's statistically inferior. Shoot, Moss could be in contention for GOAT if you look at his stats. . . and T.O. isn't far behind. .

I'm not saying that i'd take either of the other 2 to be a Steelers before him, because I wouldn't. . . but in terms of the Hall as well as the view from the casual fan, the other 2 are superior.

MDSteel15
12-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Look, Moss IS the most gifted of the 3, TO is the biggest mouth and Hines has the biggest heart! Always take heart on my team any day... :coffee:

Steeldude
12-14-2010, 03:59 PM
ward = hard working, blue collar football player

owens = overrated punk with poor to average hands

moss = prima donna who tries only when he feels like it

Third Rail
12-14-2010, 03:59 PM
As Cuba Gooding Jr. said in Jerry Maguire: "I'M ALL ABOUT HEART MOTHERF***ER!"

And so is Hines Ward. And in a league where heart is SUPPOSED to count for something - guys like Bobby Layne made it into the HOF because though they might not have been the most talented players, they played balls to the wall - Ward should have no problem making it in. Though I worry that this "Dirtiest Player in the NFL" smear campaign that Ratbirds and Bungles fans have concocted might hurt his chances.

TO and Moss, in contrast, might have tarnished their legacy with all of the problems they've caused (or are perceived to have caused) their respective teams. They still have the ridiculous stats, but they've also been stuck with the "baggage" label, and when you have multiple teams saying "no thanks" to signing you even when your skillset would be a major asset... that should not be ignored.

Steeldude
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
i would say owens is he least talented. i wonder what ward's stats would have been if they threw to him as much as owens was thrown to.

i like how once again owens bailed out of a pass because he thought he was going to be hit.

i'll take ward over both of them every time.

stb_steeler
12-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I wouldnt even mention Hines in the same sentence with T.O. ....Crap it looks like i just did....:doh:

tanda10506
12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
It comes down to this: 100% from Ward is way more productive then 40% from Randy Moss. Period. As for Owens, I still don't understand how he got to be such a big name. I never have seen spectacular catches from him or any great blocks. I've seen good YAC but when you factor in ALL the drops, I don't know why he comes into these conversations.

Fire Arians
12-14-2010, 04:35 PM
It comes down to this: 100% from Ward is way more productive then 40% from Randy Moss. Period. As for Owens, I still don't understand how he got to be such a big name. I never have seen spectacular catches from him or any great blocks. I've seen good YAC but when you factor in ALL the drops, I don't know why he comes into these conversations.

he's fast and has the prototypical 'ideal' build for a wr. other than that, considering his natural talent he's always been an underachiever. he's the typical athlete who's never had to give any real effort his whole life and just live off his talent. ward is on the other end of the spectrum where he doesn't have all the physical tools but made his mark through work ethic and attitude.

TO and Moss could have been legendary if they didn't have their heads up their asses

physical tools TO and Moss have it all, Ward doesn't.

mental toughness, work ethic, intangibles Ward has a lot of that. Moss and TO don't. I take Ward on my team any day. He's a guy who's also a good influence to the rest of the team, whereas TO and Moss are team killers. the proof? They both have been on some ridiculously talented teams and have a combined 0 super bowl wins. every team that has TO tends to fall apart sooner or later. coincidence? probably not. Moss was probably given the boot by the pats in order to prevent that locker room poison from spreading.

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2010, 05:05 PM
TD'S
moss - 2nd ( 153 )
owens - 2nd (153)
ward - 19th ( 82 ) .......although he could move to 10th with 88 td's

receptions
owins - 5th (1078 )
moss - 8th ( 953 )
ward - 10th ( 944 )

receiving yds
owens - 2nd (15934 )
moss - 5th ( 14840)
ward - 21st (11585 )

receiving yds per game
moss - 5th ( 75.7 )
owens - 10th ( 73.1 )
ward - 59th ( 58.5 )

joeyssteelcurtain
12-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I would take Ward any day

MDSteel15
12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
TD'S
moss - 2nd ( 153 )
owens - 2nd (153)
ward - 19th ( 82 ) .......although he could move to 10th with 88 td's

receptions
owins - 5th (1078 )
moss - 8th ( 953 )
ward - 10th ( 944 )

receiving yds
owens - 2nd (15934 )
moss - 5th ( 14840)
ward - 21st (11585 )

receiving yds per game
moss - 5th ( 75.7 )
owens - 10th ( 73.1 )
ward - 59th ( 58.5 )

All this but Ward does so much more than those 2 put together!

Fire Arians
12-14-2010, 08:34 PM
it's all about the intangibles. yes they put up some numbers, great even. but those guys are team killers. i'd rather have a hard worker on my team that cares more about winning than being the #1 fantasy football star.

gimmie real team players like hines or jerry rice. those selfish no-ring having ****offs like moss and to can go lose more championships

4xSBChamps
12-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Ward is a FOOTBALL PLAYER with a 'whatever-it-takes' attitiude who happens to be a pass-catching run-blocker, while the other 2 characters are poster-boys for this era of the self-promoting, half-hearted prima-donna Wide Receiver

DanRooney
12-14-2010, 10:36 PM
YPA is the all important stat that nobody mentions except the people who know their football and especially the HOF voters. Hines is good in every category except this. I doubt the people who get to vote him in put too much emphasis on Ward's blocking or leadership. However, I still think there's a 70 percent chance he makes it in. Probably not first ballot though.

ETL
12-15-2010, 01:21 AM
I love ward but I see a very hard road for him to make the HOF. Especially because there are so many Steelers in already and Bettis and possibly Dawson will be in as well by the time Hines is eligible.

SoCalFan
12-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Ward doesnt get alligator arms when going across the middle!And if there is a stat for laying fools out,Ward-136 Moss-0 Owens-0....Those numbers were made up!

TRH
12-15-2010, 09:05 AM
it's all about the intangibles. yes they put up some numbers, great even. but those guys are team killers. i'd rather have a hard worker on my team that cares more about winning than being the #1 fantasy football star.

gimmie real team players like hines or jerry rice. those selfish no-ring having ****offs like moss and to can go lose more championships

Exactly!! Those guys are downright poisonous to a team.
Just take at one look at Owen's influence on this Bengals team and i don't even need to think about it. I would never want him on my team.
And i won't even comment on Moss. He's an even worse poison. He's nasty with his coaches, his teammates and i've heard numerous places that he treats team/stadium staffers like complete garbage.

pittguy578
12-15-2010, 07:12 PM
TO is the best receiver. He is number 2 behind Rice in EVERY Category i.e. Yards, Receptions, TDs, etc. He will be a first ballot HOF. One thing you cannot question about TO is is work ethic. He is the wideout that does the most working out in the offseason. People forget he was with Rice during the early part of his career.

Randy Moss-good skills.Questionable work ethic.

Hines Ward-Good all around receiver. Owens is the better "receiver" Hines does everything else better.

tanda10506
12-15-2010, 07:52 PM
TO also has lead the league in drops (while in Dallas). I didn't know his stats were as good as they are, so I'll give him that, but I didn't know that his stats were that high because he always loses. I'm still don't recall a single spectacular catch with Owens, I don with Moss, but not with Owens. I don't understand how a reciever can be so detrimental to a team. Not to make light of it but there job is to catch passes thrown by good QB's, so how do those 2 drag down there team so much? I still say Ward is the OBVIOUS pick out of the 3.

lionslicer
12-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Ward will get into the HOF one day, but I highly doubt first ballot. If you look at every reciever in the past, Irvin really is the only reciever in the HOF that is similar to Ward, he just had a height advantage. Most recievers are similar to TO, Rice or Moss. Good hands, very fast, makes huge plays down the field, averages more than 10 yards per catch.

TO I think needs credit where its deserved other than him being a selfish player. He's one of the best, and he would have way more catches than Rice if he didn't drop so many balls. So that says something to have such big numbers with such a big dropping problem. He works very hard too, but I think him dropping balls is physical, something he can't fix, but he's done every very well, I just wish he wasn't such a loud mouth so we could appriciate him more.

And I think people hate on both TO and Moss a lot because they might quit early or whatever. TO has been around a long time, since he's hit like 34 he's been down, but back in the 90's-early 2000's he really did fight for the ball and block well.. And Moss, his last few years with the Vikings actually did go over the middle, run block and fight a lot harder for the ball. It just hasn't been since he was in Oakland did his play start to decline, but he still gets double even tripple teamed, even if a reciever as good as Welker is in the game.