PDA

View Full Version : Steelers round 1 pick: Gabe Watson

coachspeak33
04-07-2006, 10:37 AM
What do you all think about the big guy from Michigan suiting up in 06 for the black and gold?

I saw quite a bit of him the past two college seasons. He can be dominate when he wants to be. And I have seen him sliding up and down mock drafts for months now (from Top 15 to early 2nd round).

He might be a guy that could play DT or DE in our 3-4... the talent is there (listed as a top 5 DT on most projections lists).

My gut tells me he is gone when we pick, but stranger things have happened.

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 10:42 AM
I'd say there's little chance of this happening...we are actually deep at DL (carrying at least 7 on the roster at this point), and Watson is too lazy, takes too many plays off.

slashsteel
04-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Wouldn't the guy be a NT in our scheme ? and like was mentioned he carries a lazy tag no thank you.

Midnightwriter1
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
" He can be dominate when he wants to be. "

That doesnt sound good, that sounds like alot of NT in the NFL. TO replace a Hampton or be like him, a NT in our system is the key to shutting down the run and allowing the LB's to come through. He needs to be a player that doesnt take plays off and can dominate each down. Hoke isnt the most talented player in the league by any means, but you wont see him take a play off or be lazy.

clevestinks
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Lazy, and Cowher, oil and water

Atlanta Dan
04-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Lack of motivation was the rap on Max Starks as well - that is a bad rep to have but something that can be overcome if the coaches conclude it is inaccurate after pre-draft meetings with the player.

But if you are not drafting to fill an immediate need it is not worth the risk of burning a #1 pick on that sort of player. Steelers will go for a WR or OL, unless a stud LB drops and still is available.