PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin. Coach of the year?

shovelnose
12-14-2010, 08:18 PM
I know we haven't won anything yet. But it was an interesting article and the video at the end gives some coach to player insight.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/Pulling-No-Punches/December-2010/Tomlin-Coach-of-the-Year/

Admit it: Deep down in your soul, as the NFL season kicked-off with Big Ben watching from his recliner in his Sean John sweatpants and Dennis Dixon nervously crouching under center, you were hoping the Steelers would eek out a 9-7 Wild Card birth.

Now, with the Steelers looking down on the aging Baltimore Ravens atop the perch of the AFC North, it’s time Mike Tomlin gets his due.

The 38-year-old head coach has lead the Steelers through a battery of adversity: The Roethlisberger debacle, Holmes’ sticky-icky departure, Aaron Smith’s shredded triceps, and a cast of backup quarterbacks more haggard than the cast of “Celebrity Rehab” that somehow lead the team to a 3-1 start, not to mention a revised NFL rulebook that seems to target the Steelers (nothing has been tilted this disproportionately since Andy Reed sat on a teeter-totter in second grade.)

Yet as the world seemed to be crumbling Inception-style around Heinz Field, Tomlin remained his usual self—steady and confident, and most importantly, never making excuses. Despite all the muckraking that surrounded the Steelers’ locker room this fall, the team seems tighter than ever. Remember, when Harrison was fuming over his first fine from the Commissioner’s office and contemplating retirement, Tomlin excused Harrison from a crucial Wednesday practice so he could get his mind right.

Tomlin’s us-first attitude has trickled down through the ranks, and even the normally serene Troy Polamalu spoke out against Harrison’s treatment in front of the TV cameras. Polamalu risked his Proctor & Gamble endorsed, fam-friendly commercial appeal in order to stick up for a teammate that has been propagandized by the NFL Powers That Be into the gridiron version of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. That says a lot about the solidarity of Tomlin’s locker room.

Tomlin has had Harrison’s back since day one.

In the Age of Twitiocy, locker room solidarity is at a rare thing.

Two years ago, the argument that Tomlin was still running on the fumes of Bill Cowher’s legacy would’ve had some merit, but that ship has sailed. Chew on this: Since taking the reigns of the franchise, Tomlin is 40-20 with a Super Bowl ring and on his way his third division crown in four years.

But even more impressive, his defenses have ranked 1st, 1st and 5th in the NFL in his first three years. This season, they’re 4th. In his first 60 games at the helm, Tomlin’s Steelers have allowed a 100-yard rusher just once. That’s not just good, that’s Steel Curtain good.

And if you still have doubts that Tomlin is an elite head coach, ask yourself this question: Where would the 2010 Steelers be without rookie standout Maurkice Pouncey? Tomlin was not only wise enough to draft a center in the first round, but also brave enough to start Pouncey at his natural position from day one instead of moving him to guard. Tomlin took a risk on a 21-year-old kid, and now Pouncey looks like the next Dermontti Dawson—a perennial Pro Bowler who will anchor the line for the next decade.

And where would the Steelers be without wide receiver Mike Wallace? Tomlin selected the undervalued creole speed demon with a third round pick. Now Wallace is just 60 yards away from his first 1,000-yard season, which will make him the first wide receiver from a loaded 2009 draft to reach a grand. That’s faster than hyped first-rounders like Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Jeremy Maclin and Michael Crabtree.

Mike Wallace: 946 yards this season, more than any sophomore wide-out.

Tomlin stole the best receiver in the draft with the 84th pick, then fortified the corps this summer by bringing back a left-for-dead Antwaan Randle El. Say what you will about El, but his touchdown pass to Wallace in week 9 at Cincinnati proved to be the game-winning score, and that play alone justifies his return.

The decision to outsource the perpetually stoned Santonio Holmes to New York may not have been Tomlin’s idea, but he surely had the final call, and the move eliminated a locker room distraction and elevated Wallace’s game to the next level.

And let’s not forget Tomlin’s first draft, which featured the double-whammy of Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley. Woodley has racked up a preposterous 33.5 sacks in the past three seasons. Only two players have more: the Cowboys’ DeMarcus Ware and Woodley’s partner-in-crime James Harrison. Tomlin committed grand larceny by nabbing Woodley, a Michigan standout, in the second round.

Timmons, initially criticized for a slow start, has developed into a run-stuffing monster. His 108 tackles leads the team and puts him in the top 10 in the NFL, tied with Patrick Willis. On any other team, Timmons would be starring in Under Armor commercials. With James Farrior’s 36th birthday coming up and Timmons shining, Tomlin deserves credit for his foresight in selecting an elite middle linebacker to gradually take the reigns from Potsie, and apologies from the armchair quarterbacks who were quick to label Timmons a bust.

This summer, the sky seemed to be falling on the league’s most venerable franchise. Now, as the winter winds blow another season of playoff football into Pittsburgh, the Steelers may have “miles to go before they sleep,” as Tomlin once said in a press conference, quoting poet Robert Frost.

But one thing is clear: Tomlin deserves more than just props from the trigger-happy critics who doubted him after last season’s step backward. He deserves to be the NFL Coach of the Year.

The naysayers are right about one thing. Tomlin isn’t Cowher. He’s even better.:tt:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Lol as much as Tomlin might deserve it, is it really even worth talking about? We all know Belichick has this one locked up.....

"He had the guts to trade Randy Moss, he's a genius.....blah blah blah blah blah"

SH-Rock
12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah I don't think so, the NFL probably won't approve. I'd go for Morris. Youngest team in the league and he has made them pretty good. Or even Reid. Handled the whole Kolb-Vick debacle smoothly.

tony hipchest
12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
worthy to note that raheem morris is a devout tomlin deciple. also worthy to mention that larry z and bob ligashitthebedsky were "his guys" and his hires. it had to be tough for him to admit the mistakes, but he did what was right for the team and fired them.

stone cold kugler and mt everest are already 10X better.

but most importantly he shitcanned jeff reed. that alone is worth 2 wins right off the bat. anyone remember the 1st ravens game?

we are 7-5 right now if tomlin did nothing and continue to let jeff 'janikowski' reed continue to shank kicks.

GMU Steeler
12-14-2010, 10:00 PM
worthy to note that raheem morris is a devout tomlin deciple. also worthy to mention that larry z and bob ligashitthebedsky were "his guys" and his hires. it had to be tough for him to admit the mistakes, but he did what was right for the team and fired them.

stone cold kugler and mt everest are already 10X better.

but most importantly he shitcanned jeff reed. that alone is worth 2 wins right off the bat. anyone remember the 1st ravens game?

we are 7-5 right now if tomlin did nothing and continue to let jeff 'janikowski' reed continue to shank kicks.

All good points and glad you point out the decision to cut Reed. Have to admit being from the DC area and remembering seeing Suisham miss the chip shot against the Saitns last year I felt meh about bringing him in to kick but the guy's been reliable. Heck he even filled in admirably for Daniel Sepuluveda last week for a quarter and half or so. I do think Tomlin should definitely get consideration for coach of the year. But I see someone else getting it but he should get some votes.

tony hipchest
12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
adam shein and rich gannon (on sirius radio) have already been mentioning him for COY so he has drawn notice (they both have votes for league mvp- not sure about coach). :noidea:

oh, and i still get nervous everytime suisham kicks. i guess im still afflicted with reeditis.

steeltheone
12-15-2010, 05:14 AM
This team in my mind is not 10-3 good. Tomlin deserves alot of credit.

theplatypus
12-15-2010, 05:28 AM
[quote]In the Age of Twitiocy{/quote]

Maybe it's just early, but Twitiocy cracked me up.

pghfrank62
12-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Coach of the Year is the most over rated award or accolade there is. Its like giving the Nobel Peace Prize to that worthless piece of crap in the White House. Chuch Knoll never got coach of the year so that in itself tells you all you need to know about Coach of The Year!!! Give it to someother coach, I will take another Lombardi!!!!

WeegiesWarriors
12-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Coach of the Year is the most over rated award or accolade there is. Its like giving the Nobel Peace Prize to that worthless piece of crap in the White House. Chuch Knoll never got coach of the year so that in itself tells you all you need to know about Coach of The Year!!! Give it to someother coach, I will take another Lombardi!!!!

Sorry not picking on you personally, but fans should learn to spell the greatest coach in NFL history... Chuck NOLL. It's so frequently misspelled that i want to scream.

Not that this should disqualify Tomlin for coach of the year, but he has odd time management strategies, and he rarely gets called out on them. Last week at the end of the half he elects to spike the ball on first down with around 40 seconds left. He has elected to either spike the ball or call a timeout with plenty of time left in key situations like that. With 40 seconds left an NFL team should have the wherewithall to run a play in that situation. We can't score inside the 20 so what do we do? Lower our chances from 1 in 3 to 1 in 2. There's been a few times where he did that, then actually scored on the first play, but left more time on the clock than he could have. In the Cincy situation they should have went no-huddle, called a play at the line and ran it. You know... like most high school teams would have done.

MDSteel15
12-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Lol as much as Tomlin might deserve it, is it really even worth talking about? We all know Belichick has this one locked up.....

"He had the guts to trade Randy Moss, he's a genius.....blah blah blah blah blah"

What about the coach at Atlanta? :noidea:

TRH
12-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Like the way they were coached going into the NE game? Some good coaching this year, but some bad too. I hate Belicheck, but Tomlin did a better job this year than him? Not even close.
I will say in the last couple games it looks like the coaching staff is stepping up their game a little bit and making needed adjustments and better decisions. There's also been some really good coaching jobs elsewhere this year, Atlanta's staff comes to mind.
I'm not a huge follower of this award, but Belicheck's so smart it almost makes me sick and wish he would come down with a case of "dumbness" for awhile.

sharkweek
12-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Like the way they were coached going into the NE game? Some good coaching this year, but some bad too. I hate Belicheck, but Tomlin did a better job this year than him? Not even close.
I will say in the last couple games it looks like the coaching staff is stepping up their game a little bit and making needed adjustments and better decisions. There's also been some really good coaching jobs elsewhere this year, Atlanta's staff comes to mind.
I'm not a huge follower of this award, but Belicheck's so smart it almost makes me sick and wish he would come down with a case of "dumbness" for awhile.

Pats are probably 1-3, maybe 2-2 without Brady their first four games, instead they went 3-1.

Third Rail
12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
He won't win COY, and in my opinion, he shouldn't, BUT... I will admit that he has handled this team well this season, overall. I've been hard on Tomlin and I still continue to be, but I can't complain too much when we are winning games despite officials clearly targeting us. I also have to give Mike credit for sticking up for his team in the face of adversity (as much as he can without Goodell the Dictator fining him for criticizing the league too much, since you know, he can do that).

Whodis
12-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I think without a doubt the Chief's Todd Haley

steeltheone
12-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Pats are probably 1-3, maybe 2-2 without Brady their first four games, instead they went 3-1.

Everybody said that 2 years ago then unproven matt cassell led them to 10 and 6

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Everybody said that 2 years ago then unproven matt cassell led them to 10 and 6

It was actually 11 and 5.

fer522
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
tomlin has not done anything lets be honest
we are 10-3 b/c of our deffense if anything coach LeBeau
deserves the credit our offense sucks and i have never seen him say or do anything about it(on offense)
we all saw coach LeBeau get on Troys ass on that INT something tomlin will never do
hes a good coach but he would not have a winning record if he was coaching the Carolina Panthers

shovelnose
12-15-2010, 07:27 PM
tomlin has not done anything lets be honest
we are 10-3 b/c of our deffense if anything coach LeBeau
deserves the credit our offense sucks and i have never seen him say or do anything about it(on offense)
we all saw coach LeBeau get on Troys ass on that INT something tomlin will never do
hes a good coach but he would not have a winning record if he was coaching the Carolina Panthers

So blame Arians then lol! Tomlin was a defensive coach. The coach has a staff to run his team. And if the players can't execute....Blah blah blah. Ya maybe he wouldn't fair so well with the Panthers. Still the last time I checked the Rooneys pick winning coaches. It's a system that works despite missing pieces. Other teams should be so lucky. So lets not totally dis-credit the HC.

Personally I just thought it was a read worthy article. It's all hearsay anyway till you hoist the Lombardi.

pete74
12-16-2010, 07:51 AM
tomlin is a good coach but either Atlanta or New England's coach deserves it. if KC wins there division which i dont see happening then of course Haley is in the mix as well but im going with Atlanta's coach winning it and he deserves it

OX1947
12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Hands down, without question, Andy Reid is the coach of the year. If Andy Reid had had even a Aaron Rodgers at QB, he would have won a couple super bowls by now.

GMU Steeler
12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I think Haley is a good bet homer bias aside. Smith and Belichick had good teams last year and Smith won the award a couple years ago too. If not Tomlin, I'm rooting for Haley. Funny story here but I was talking with a friend of my dad's one day about football and he mentions that he used to go Steelers training camp because his uncle was a scout. Thought oh that's cool. And then two years ago when we played the Cards in the SB, he says it's hard for him to chose a team to root for since his cousin is the OC of the CArdinals. It then hit me, Todd Haley is a Pittsburgh native and his dad is Dick Haley, who as many of you know gets a lot of credit for the famous '74 draft. So I realized my dad's friend's uncle wasn't just any scouth. Sorry to go off on a tangent but just goes to show you how small the world is.

Whodis
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Would this be the same head coach not be ready for crowd noise, in a dome on Halloween night?

fer522
12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
exactly

Fire Arians
12-16-2010, 09:02 PM
mcdaniels

BengalDestroyer
12-17-2010, 08:37 PM
I'd vote for Morris (Tomlins bff!!!) Youngest team and they def. will be a real good team soon.