PDA

View Full Version : Can You Speak Pittsburghese??

ville22
12-15-2010, 02:32 PM
HAHA....I live in Philly now, but used to live in Da Burg and I thoroughly enjoyed some of the zany things that would come out the mouths of true Pitt natives. Found a pretty funny article that reminded me of such. Take a look:

http://sportingscribe.blogspot.com/2010/12/you-can-speak-pittsburghese.html

...and don't be shy to add some of your own vernacular below. :tt03:

Third Rail
12-15-2010, 02:43 PM
A few other ones.

Raven - n. rat droppings

Baltimore - 1. n. any urban location populated by inbreeders, morons and murderers
2. n. (archaic) hell

Bengal - 1. n. a perpetual failure
2. v. to bungle
3. v. to suck on something

Brown - n. a noticeable stain, usually caused by defecation

California-Steel
12-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah that was pretty funny. I am from Dburgh but been out in CA for 20+ years now. Most of the Pittsburghese have been since removed.

The funnyest story I can tell is when I first moved out here (Caliafornia) some 20 something years ago, I got a job working at a local mall. I opened the store I worked in with some others and we were getting the cash registers ready for the day. We would wrap the one in the till in to bundles of 20.

Well I ran out of GUMBANDS and asked for a GUMBAND from the girl that worked with me. She handed me a GUMBAND without hesitation.

Now here is the funny part. About 2 or 3 minutes later she looked over at me and asked, "what did you say"? I did understand because I had not said anything since i asked for the GUMBAND. She held up a GUMBAND and asked me what I called it. I said it was a GUMBAND. She laughed and said are you from Pittsburgh? I said yes. She said she had not heard that word in so long. She to was from Dburgh.

It is funny because she did not hesitate to hand over what she knew of as a GUMBAND also and did not think about it until a few minutes later that someone else knew that term. If did not cross my mind that only people from Dburgh used that word/term.

Anyone I have ever said GUMBAND to did not have a clue what I was talking about. But she without hesitation just handed me one.

Gotta love Pittsburghers.
:drink:

SteelMember
12-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Keep this thread clean so ya don't have to red up later wit a sweeper.

SteelMember
12-15-2010, 03:16 PM
and of course Dahn Tahn.

Where yinz goin'?

Dahn Tahn of course. :chuckle:

ville22
12-15-2010, 08:18 PM
A few other ones.

Raven - n. rat droppings

Baltimore - 1. n. any urban location populated by inbreeders, morons and murderers
2. n. (archaic) hell

2. v. to bungle

:rofl:

Hirsch
12-15-2010, 08:52 PM
I live in Southern Indiana and I know of a lot of people that talk like that, none of them are form Da-Burg. I guess I just learned a new language.:applaudit:

ville22
12-15-2010, 09:27 PM
I live in Southern Indiana and I know of a lot of people that talk like that, none of them are form Da-Burg. I guess I just learned a new language.:applaudit:

you never know...Da Burg represents everywhere!

SteelCityMom
12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Dawwnny Iris.

Wallace108
12-15-2010, 11:59 PM
My co-workers constantly laugh at me when I talk about the Stillers. Seriously, I make a conscious effort to say Steelers, and it comes out Stillers. And yes, my grandfather worked in a still mill. The sad thing is I've lived in Northeast Ohio most of my life. But my parents are from West Virginia, so I blame them. :sofunny:

wootawnee
12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
If your in da burgh, sometimes you have to do some runnin.......Out here they say do some errands.......

wootawnee
12-16-2010, 12:37 AM
Out here Tidy up...
Daburgh...Redup.......

4xSBChamps
12-16-2010, 07:44 AM
"... awl yinz utter-guyz an'at are nuttin' but jagovs..."

ville22
12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
"... awl yinz utter-guyz an'at are nuttin' but jagovs..."

:applaudit:

pete74
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
i lived in the burgh almost all my life and i very rarley ever heard the word "yinz". maybe i grew up on the wrong side of the city or something but i can honestly say that i dont really ever remember hearing that word

FanSince72
12-16-2010, 09:22 AM
I get a kick out of "Pittsburgh-ese".

My neighbor is from the 'burgh and Frank (his name) worked most of his life in a steel mill and has been to just about every game ever played at Three Rivers including all the playoff games and yes, even the Immaculate Reception game.

Since being a "Nee-Yawkah" for a while, he's lost some of his Pittsburgh drawl but it still pops out from time to time. He's never been like: "Yinz goin' dahn ta' Primanti's fer a sammich?", or anything like that, but he does say "Stillers" so it's there. I just think it's cool to have a genuine "Yinzer" for a next door neighbor and he's a great guy overall (not to mention a walking history book when it comes to our "Stillers!")

It sure beats living next to a Jets or Giants fan!

ville22
12-16-2010, 09:33 AM
It sure beats living next to a Jets or Giants fan!

Ain't dat da truth!

WisconsinSteelerMan
12-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Cool it yinz! I'm goin' up Eat N Park to get some POP 'N at....

My favorite Pittsburghese bit was "Pants N'at" on DVE.... this is from YEARS ago...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

P.S. - when I watch a game from out here and they make a pan of the audience, I always picture the people talking in the thick Pittsburgh accent when they pop up on TV. I miss Da burgh...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

FanSince72
12-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Ain't dat da truth!

Amen brutha!

Actually, Jets and Giants fans aren't THAT bad.

Giant fans are basically OK, they're just arrogant and Jet fans are just morons so I tend to feel sorry for them more than anything else.

caplovestroyp43
12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Very enjoyable article; thanks for sharing it! I put it in my favorites too so that I can learn how to speak "Pittsburghese." I'm from plain jane Ohio.

:tt02::tt02:

lionslicer
12-16-2010, 11:47 AM
In Pittsburgh we stand in line to get hoagies and drink pop

I was hanging out with a friend who just moved here from Georgia, and she actually lives north of Pittsburgh, so even up there slang isn't as storong. And when she was in Pittsburgh, she couldn't believe how weird the language is here....

ville22
12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
In Pittsburgh we stand in line to get hoagies and drink pop

I was hanging out with a friend who just moved here from Georgia, and she actually lives north of Pittsburgh, so even up there slang isn't as storong. And when she was in Pittsburgh, she couldn't believe how weird the language is here....

Awesome. I hate when people say they are standing "on" line.

GMU Steeler
12-16-2010, 12:39 PM
All my grandparents were Pittsburgh area natives. My dad's mom didn't have a Pittsburghnnese accent but her and my grandfather who I never knew lived all around the country because of his job. My mom's mom still has some traces of her Pittsburghnese in her but not much. Now my late grandfather who was the man who got me in to the Steelers in the first place never lost his at lal. I just remember him always saying you'ins instead of you all or the more southern y'all.

SteelMember
12-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Any a yinz ever fall inta one a dem jagger bushes when you were bookin' down na crick?

Dat shit left me pretty banged up uh couple times.

Know what I'm sayin'.

TailgateMel
12-16-2010, 01:18 PM
This is hilarious... good skit...

Pittsburgh Kid in Spelling Bee (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/PITTSBURGH-PA/WDVE-FM/Pittsburgh%20Spelling%20Bee.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=PITTSBURGH-PA&NG_FORMAT=&SITE_ID=1734&STATION_ID=WDVE-FM&PCAST_AUTHOR=WDVE-FM&PCAST_CAT=Comedy&PCAST_TITLE=The_Best_of_Morning_Show_on_WDVE)

ville22
12-16-2010, 02:37 PM
This is hilarious... good skit...

Pittsburgh Kid in Spelling Bee (http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1h/cchannel.download.akamai.com/18227/podcast/PITTSBURGH-PA/WDVE-FM/Pittsburgh%20Spelling%20Bee.mp3?CPROG=PCAST&MARKET=PITTSBURGH-PA&NG_FORMAT=&SITE_ID=1734&STATION_ID=WDVE-FM&PCAST_AUTHOR=WDVE-FM&PCAST_CAT=Comedy&PCAST_TITLE=The_Best_of_Morning_Show_on_WDVE)

wow. Great find.

MDSteel15
12-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Awesome. I hate when people say they are standing "on" line.

What the hell is "on" line? Never heard that before... :noidea:

ville22
12-16-2010, 05:58 PM
What the hell is "on" line? Never heard that before... :noidea:

In the South, people will say they are standing on line when they are waiting for something. I never heard it before I moved down here a few years ago.

stb_steeler
12-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Yinz goin to the game!

ville22
12-16-2010, 09:40 PM
I was just noticing your big Ben sig...pre broken schnozzola. You think he'll be wearing the cheap comedy disguise again this weekend?

ville22
12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Any a yinz ever fall inta one a dem jagger bushes when you were bookin' down na crick?

Dat shit left me pretty banged up uh couple times.

Know what I'm sayin'.

Wow, that's about as accurate as it comes.

stb_steeler
12-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Gumban
ChitChat
Slippy
AHT
Yins
Hans
Nebby
Worsh
Redd up
Telepole
Pop
Pensivania
Jaggers
Stillers
Sliperty
Sammitch
Jynt Igle
Stillmill
babushka
Spicket
Picksburgh
Dahntahn

MasterOfPuppets
12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
i was thinkin the same thing. most of the things posted here i've heard in other area's besides pittsburgh. the first time , i heard "yinz" , was from a person from johnstown PA. i also used to work with a guy from allentown PA , that also said yinz.
the first time i heard "retup" , was from a girl that lived in west virginia.
i've heard people around here ( western md ) say "gumband"
most of west virginia says "worsh" instead of wash , infact i make fun of my former WV neighbor for it all the time.
"pop" , is typical all over the south

stb_steeler
12-17-2010, 03:52 PM
We here in Pa dutch country always say youinz

ville22
12-18-2010, 09:49 AM
We here in Pa dutch country always say youinz

Cool. I never heard that one. Where in PA Dutch country?

TRH
12-18-2010, 11:58 AM
i was in FL about 2 years ago working when this guy came in and goes something like "we just went dahn-tahn..", and i was like "oh my, you're from near Pittsburgh, aren't ya??". Sure enough, he was. Was down there on vacation.
I can recognize that anywhere, that Pittsburgh accent is just as recognizable as someone from Brooklyn.

4xSBChamps
12-18-2010, 12:22 PM
i was in FL about 2 years ago working when this guy came in and goes something like "we just went dahn-tahn..", and i was like "oh my, you're from near Pittsburgh, aren't ya??". Sure enough, he was.

Thanksgiving Day 2008, I'm sitting on a picnic table, over-looking the Gulf Coast at Honeymoon Island, North of Tampa, and as another beach-patron walks-past carrying his basket of food, he accidently brushes against my shoulder, turns, tips his head and says 'Sorry':
I smile & mumble 'no-problem', to which he exclaims

'ARE YINZ FROM PIXBERK?'

:jawdrop:

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2010, 02:13 PM
lancaster

http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp

ville22
01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanksgiving Day 2008, I'm sitting on a picnic table, over-looking the Gulf Coast at Honeymoon Island, North of Tampa, and as another beach-patron walks-past carrying his basket of food, he accidently brushes against my shoulder, turns, tips his head and says 'Sorry':
I smile & mumble 'no-problem', to which he exclaims

'ARE YINZ FROM PIXBERK?'

:jawdrop:

:sofunny: that's pretty darn hilarious.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-15-2011, 04:07 PM
In the South, people will say they are standing on line when they are waiting for something. I never heard it before I moved down here a few years ago.

South is FULL of different dialects so its probably just a regional thing for the area you moved too. Its not uncommon to be 3 or more different dialects in each state.

ville22
01-15-2011, 04:22 PM
South is FULL of different dialects so its probably just a regional thing for the area you moved too. Its not uncommon to be 3 or more different dialects in each state.

I hear that, but I've live all over the country and haven't heard the term used as frequently as I have here.

TOOLofSTEEL
01-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I hear that, but I've live all over the country and haven't heard the term used as frequently as I have here.

Where do you live at?

ville22
01-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Where do you live at?

Carolina now.

SteelerFanInATL
01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
ROTF......I too have been removed from PGH for 20 plus years and have not head GUMBAND in a long time. But I too knew exactly what you were talking about LOL.

ville22
01-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Gumban
ChitChat
Slippy
AHT
Yins
Hans
Nebby
Worsh
Redd up
Telepole
Pop
Pensivania
Jaggers
Stillers
Sliperty
Sammitch
Jynt Igle
Stillmill
babushka
Spicket
Picksburgh
Dahntahn

good list. nebby?

sasquatch
01-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Hell, I live down here in Morgantown and still speak Pittsburghese, never lived there, but been there hundreds of times. Is it too much to ask for a Primante Bros. here?...lol! Come on yinz can send one down this way . We already got Yuengling and 'Ern city beer n'at.
Love ya Picksburgh, love dem Stillers! Yoi!

TOOLofSTEEL
01-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Carolina now.

I live in Virginia but never heard anyone in the Carolinas say "standing on line". Its normally "standin line" "standin'n line" which could sound like on to somebody now from the area I guess.

I don't know. The thought of somebody saying that irks me though. So you can't go by me. :chuckle:

ville22
01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I live in Virginia but never heard anyone in the Carolinas say "standing on line". Its normally "standin line" "standin'n line" which could sound like on to somebody now from the area I guess.

I don't know. The thought of somebody saying that irks me though. So you can't go by me. :chuckle:

Its definitely irksome.

stb_steeler
01-16-2011, 10:28 AM

Lancaster Pa.....u know, where all the Amish are! lol

mesaSteeler
01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
good list. nebby?

It means nosy.

Out here I run into a lot of Steeler fans who are not from Pittsburgh and many of which have never been east of the Mississippi. I'll ask if they are from Pittsburgh and if they say yes then I drop into my Pittsburgese accent and ask them "What part of burg are yuniz from and aht". If always gets a big laugh. I can usually tell if someone is from burgh as well even if their accent is blurred.

Here is a link to the Pittsburghese website if you really want to learn how to talk like a Pittsburgher. It difficult to do if you did not grow up in the burg.

http://www.pittsburghese.com/

therocksteeler
01-16-2011, 11:17 AM
A few other ones.

Raven - n. rat droppings

2. n. (archaic) hell

2. v. to bungle

Way funny!!!!!!

:tt02::rofl:

ville22
01-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Way funny!!!!!!

:tt02::rofl:

how great was that "Brown" reference?

ville22
02-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Don't forget to bad mouth the Packers tonight using the correct vernacular:

4xSBChamps
02-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Don't forget to bad mouth the Packers tonight using the correct vernacular:

... Ah'm tullin' ya...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Steelerfan2.jpg

... 'em cheese-heads an' alla der blow-up sheep er nuttin' but jagovs...

ville22
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
... Ah'm tullin' ya...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Steelerfan2.jpg

... 'em cheese-heads an' alla der blow-up sheep er nuttin' but jagovs...

This is the guy I want leading the boys onto the field tonight. :sofunny:

4xSBChamps
02-06-2011, 03:26 PM
This is the guy I want leading the boys onto the field tonight. :sofunny:

... if you'd been at the 1978 AFC Championship game, played in Pittsburgh against the Earlers, you'da seen MORE than this before the opening kick-off...

:tt04:

ville22
02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
... if you'd been at the 1978 AFC Championship game, played in Pittsburgh against the Earlers, you'da seen MORE than this before the opening kick-off...

:tt04:

we coulda used that last night.

joepicco47
02-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I created an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application called Yinzer. It's a cool dictionary application that defines a ton of words and lists their definitions. It has pronunciations as well. Check out my youtube video review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-WqOS3S_Sg
or just search "Yinzer" on itunes. Thanks!

LW56
02-28-2011, 05:58 AM
my grandfather worked in a still mill.

Was he a steelworker or a bootlegger?

ville22
03-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I created an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application called Yinzer. It's a cool dictionary application that defines a ton of words and lists their definitions. It has pronunciations as well. Check out my youtube video review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-WqOS3S_Sg
or just search "Yinzer" on itunes. Thanks!

I'm glad to see someone finally created something like this.

jsterj
08-25-2012, 02:09 PM
An English to Pittsburghese translator for Android - http://goo.gl/5JsBP