PDA

View Full Version : Former '70s Steeler Jim Clack Dies

Atlanta Dan
04-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Jim Clack, who played guard on the first two SB champs, has passed away at age 58.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06097/680485-100.stm

He played at 6'3" 250, which now may seem hard to believe was a typical weight for an OL in those days (see link below to OL for 1970s teams)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04245/363094.stm

May he rest in peace

DIESELMAN
04-07-2006, 08:45 PM
'RIP'.....:helmet:

tony hipchest
04-07-2006, 08:47 PM
can we go more than 3 months without an under 60 former steeler dying? this is like 8 in the past 2-3 years.

SteelerDan43
04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Its really sad to see all these players pass

klick81
04-07-2006, 08:55 PM
RIP.

83-Steelers-43
04-07-2006, 08:57 PM
:helmet: RIP..........

MattsMe
04-07-2006, 10:08 PM
can we go more than 3 months without an under 60 former steeler dying? this is like 8 in the past 2-3 years.

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of creepy.

BCEDGE
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
You are not kidding. How many former OL have died in the past 5 years?

Midnightwriter1
04-07-2006, 10:16 PM
That sucks, seems like alot have been passing away thepast few years. every time you hear of a former player form the NFL passing away, seems like it was someone that played for the Steelers =(

Ambridge
04-08-2006, 03:49 AM
They're dropping like flies!!

I know it's been said that playing pro football literally takes a few years off a persons life span but I'm wondering if there are other "contributing factors"??

:tombstone-Jim

Stlrs4Life
04-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I remember him. RIP Jim.

Suitanim
04-08-2006, 09:15 AM
They're dropping like flies!!

I know it's been said that playing pro football literally takes a few years off a persons life span but I'm wondering if there are other "contributing factors"??

:tombstone-Jim

But they're ALL ex-Steelers. Odd.

Mr. Clean
04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Throat cancer - This can strike anyone but usually affects smokers.

Courson, Webster, Clack, Mansfield. Requiescat in pace.

tony hipchest
04-08-2006, 11:05 AM
But they're ALL ex-Steelers. Odd. what also is odd is the manner of some of these deaths.

an anti freeze overdose
a weightbar dropping on the neck
getting crushed by a tree
driving head on into a tanker

3 to be 4
04-09-2006, 08:16 AM
what also is odd is the manner of some of these deaths.

an anti freeze overdose
a weightbar dropping on the neck
getting crushed by a tree
driving head on into a tanker

there is now a bill pending in the Pennsylvania State Legislature to outlaw any former
Steeler coming within 500 yards of any establishment that has a liquor license.

btw, this gives me an idea for a new thread

clevestinks
04-09-2006, 09:02 AM
R.I.P.

Seems way to young!

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-09-2006, 09:41 AM
He played at 6'3" 250, which now may seem hard to believe was a typical weight for an OL in those days (see link below to OL for 1970s teams)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04245/363094.stm

Hard to see another go, R.I.P.
If memory serves correct back in the day those were some pretty big boys, the 300 pounder plus of todays player were only 280 or so then. The players from that era started ,IMO, the legacy of Steelers Smashmouth Football.Those O lineman set the standard, they imposed their will to run on every team. They would line up with those bare arms,in any weather and say, basically "here comes the trap stop us if you can." They were the original group of guys that opposing defenses knew they had better have their lunch packed because it was going to be a long day!! As to that current sig quoting the new Bungle Sam Adams,he could not have carried the jockstraps of these MEN ,stick to making the brew Sam Adams!

BlacknGold Bleeder
04-09-2006, 09:45 AM
there is now a bill pending in the Pennsylvania State Legislature to outlaw any former

You have sunk to a new low, WTF is does this post mean?? You should have been taught that if you have nothing good to say then don't say it at all. this particular post has no place for this kind of B.S.

3 to be 4
04-09-2006, 05:08 PM

btw, this gives me an idea for a new thread

wow, that didnt go over too well. sometimes you go too far. again, i apologize. I DO have some issues.
then again im not the one who came up with the bizarre list. I just took it a step too far.
sorry.

83-Steelers-43
04-09-2006, 05:19 PM
wow, that didnt go over too well. sometimes you go too far.

Yeah, much like your mature responses in these threads.....http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6456 and http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=6413 and now this one. Real winner buddy.

I DO have some issues.

Some?

3 to be 4
04-09-2006, 06:01 PM
ok, lets try it again.
I apologize. I went too far and im sorry.

tony hipchest
04-09-2006, 09:55 PM
then again im not the one who came up with the bizarre list. gee, thanks.

m. webster was "punch-drunk"
j. gilliam faced cocaine problems for years.
and the 4 from my "list":

the other 4 players listed did die from bizarre circumstances but they were listed to point out that there is nothing conclusive to suggest that any of these deaths were because of steroids. this is the natural assumption of those who dont follow the steelers. they hear another steeler died and automatically assume that it was only the steelers who did steroids back in the day and now they all are paying the price for it.

i think this assumption is pretty bogus. no one on this board has suggested this but ive heard it every time another steeler dies. i think it sucks these deaths happen proportionately higher with the steelers than any other team. at this point i think it is a wierd set of circumstances, and nothing more.

this is unfortunate and i wish ex steelers would quit dying. one common thread might be severe depression. something even t. bradshaw suffers from. it is a very interresting case study.

83-Steelers-43
04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
ok, lets try it again.
I apologize. I went too far and im sorry.

Ok, lets try it again.
How many times do you have to go "too far" and act like a complete a-hole? It's getting old buddy.

SteelerFan091472
04-10-2006, 08:20 PM
RIP :helmet:

3 to be 4
04-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Ok, lets try it again.
How many times do you have to go "too far" and act like a complete a-hole? It's getting old buddy.

I apologize. you are right. I have been going too far lately. ( See "chink" thread)
I guess its my way of dealing with my own grief, not coincendently it comes out when death is involved. Im sorry I went too far. please forgive me. This is directed to everyone at Steelers Fever.

tony hipchest
04-10-2006, 09:35 PM
I apologize. you are right. I have been going too far lately. ( See "chink" thread)
I guess its my way of dealing with my own grief, not coincendently it comes out when death is involved. Im sorry I went too far. please forgive me. This is directed to everyone at Steelers Fever. personally, i dont think the intent of 32b4's posts in this thread was to offend or disrespect past steelers or their fans (although it did). more of an attempt to make light of the bizarre and almost unexplainable circumstances that have befallen past steelers players. although the topic wouldve definitely been better "locker room" material, as far as the "what way would you rather go thread", on my part the apology is accepted.