PDA

View Full Version : Favre to Announce Plans!

Justin Otstott
04-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Favre to announce his plans April 8

MILWAUKEE (April 7, 2006) -- Brett Favre has scheduled an April 8 morning news conference, where he is expected to announce whether he'll return to play for the Green Bay Packers this season.

Becky Stuart, a personal assistant to the Favre family, confirmed that the news conference would be held at Favre's charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss.

In a story in the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Favre said that he told general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy earlier this week that he may have a decision by the weekend or early next week.

"I want to do what's best, obviously, for me and my family," he said. "But regardless of what people might think, I don't want to jeopardize the future of the team. I don't want to do that. I think that the people that know me, including those in the organization, know that."

Favre, who spoke with the Press-Gazette reporter at his golf tournament, said he wouldn't want to play for anyone but the Packers, who finished 4-12 last season, Favre's only losing one in Green Bay.

The 36-year-old Favre, who would be entering his 16th season in the NFL, still feels he can play but said last season rattled his confidence a bit.

"I had a lot of chances to pull us out of the fire last year and I didn't do it," he said.

Favre said he wouldn't return just to collect his $10 million salary or to try to break more records. If that were the case, he said, he already would have made his decision.

"That's sort of my dilemma right now. If I felt like we really could compete for the Super Bowl, I would come back. Or am I coming back just to play and to have fun, and in the process maybe we lose," he said. "Last year was no fun for the fans or for the players, and nobody wants to go through that again."

Favre said he has concerns about the team's offensive line, which struggled last season after the departure of stalwart guards Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera to free agency.

"From a coach's standpoint, you have to say the right things, that we'll be competitive and we'll win, and I truly believe Mike McCarthy will do a fine job," he said. "But really, what have we done to replace the guys that we've lost on the line?"

Favre said McCarthy isn't letting uncertainty about his star quarterback affect his preparation, which includes getting Aaron Rodgers, the team's first-round draft pick last season, ready to start.

Favre said his greatest dilemma is figuring out whether he can get up the energy to have fun, something he didn't have last season.

"It means something to come back and be there, but to come back and be that dominant player, which I wasn't last year. I never blamed it on other guys before and I won't do it now," he said. "I don't want it to be like, 'At one time he was good. He should've retired. He stuck around one year too long.' That wouldn't be fair to anyone."

Source: NFL.com

Justin Otstott
04-08-2006, 01:33 AM
I wonder what he will say. I will be watching NFL Network later when i wake up.

MattsMe
04-08-2006, 01:36 AM
I really don't think he'll be coming back. Could be wrong though. But if he did, after all the comments he's made about not knowing if he still has what it takes mentally, etc., how could his teammates have any confidence in him as a leader?

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 02:31 AM
I'm sure John Madden and Sean Salisbury will be breaking out the kleenex if Favre says he's calling it quits or kleenex and lotion if Favre states that he is deciding to play another year.

Ambridge
04-08-2006, 04:38 AM
The Packers should make a pre-emptive Press Conference of their own just moments before Brett's announcing that he's been cut from the team.

That would be sweet justice.

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 09:58 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2401588

As of today, he's still undecided...lol.

Suitanim
04-08-2006, 10:13 AM
I read a blurb in the paper this morning saying that he's coming back.

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I read a blurb in the paper this morning saying that he's coming back.

Hmm, maybe he is. On ESPNEWS in the bottom right corner it's stating that he is still undecided. Who knows? :hunch:

Justin Otstott
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
omg lol....he should just retire and thats that....dude is old now and the Packers are trash.

SteelCityMan786
04-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I think he retires. He's been through enough. especially after a pitiful 05.

Cape Cod Steel Head
04-08-2006, 05:12 PM
He scheduled a news conference to announce he's still undecided? WTF?

83-Steelers-43
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM

Well, what I gathered from the news conference he told the media that they wasted a trip to come down to his golf tournament to ask him questions. Basically he's stating that the media is following him around and asking him the questions. He also told them they should be focusing on the baseball season at this point in time. I'm not sure what he's expecting when he claims he's going to retire at the end of every season.

DIESELMAN
04-08-2006, 05:33 PM
ESPN's Ed Werder reports at one point last week, Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre felt he was being pressured into an answer by the team about his future so he told general manager Ted Thompson he was retiring. Thompson then told Favre to take a step back and spend more time making his decision.

SteelerzGirl
04-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I hope Favre retires. His ego is apparently too big to fit in the locker room anyway.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-08-2006, 07:09 PM

:iagree: Comon Brett, gimme a break man ! Call everyone together to say, " I dont know yet" ..u've had since January to decide by now. Call it a career or get ur ass back into the stadium and start working out already !!!

Ambridge
04-08-2006, 09:09 PM
The Packer organization has no balls!!
Regardless of what Favre's accomplishments might be in Green Bay his ignorant "country" ass should have been released/cut well over a month ago.

beSteelmyheart
04-08-2006, 09:43 PM
I hope Favre retires. His ego is apparently too big to fit in the locker room anyway.
I agree.

Suitanim
04-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Anyone think all this is helping the Pack at all? I mean, FA is in full swing, the draft is only a couple weeks away, and they don't even know if their QB will be back. If he doesn't come back, sure, they drafted Aaron Rodgers last year, but if he gets hurt or can't play, the back-up is some guy named Tom Arth who played at John Carroll, a Div III team.

Ambridge
04-10-2006, 10:00 AM
I've heard that Packer fans who have staunchly supported Favre have begun to turn on him and have grown tired of this Hostage Negotiation.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Brett just retire.You're team is now trash,and you are no longer the QB you once were.To keep playing will just tarnish your legacy.

klick81
04-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Brett just retire.You're team is now trash,and you are no longer the QB you once were.To keep playing will just tarnish your legacy.

Yep. The fact that he's had to question it this long only shows how much he DOESN'T want it anymore. I wouldn't want a quarterback who doesn't want it in my team.

tony hipchest
04-10-2006, 08:25 PM
the packers dont seem to dedicated to winning. their big signing on offense, to this poiint has been retaining najeh davenport. who knows how a. green will do. farve probably just doesnt want to end his career like t. aikman or steve young did. farve is proud of being the iron man of the nfl (much of that has been due to the packs dedication to protecting him along with his natural toughness) you know what a blow it would be to him to end his career due to an injury? this could be his form of going out on top but he still knows he can play. i understand his dilemma

Mr. Clean
04-10-2006, 10:31 PM
He ought to hang it up. Training camp starts in less than four months and Favre's salary has an impact on what the Packers can do in salary negotiations. If he hasn't decided by now, well,..... it's the Packers' problem.

tony hipchest
04-10-2006, 10:48 PM
He ought to hang it up. Training camp starts in less than four months and Favre's salary has an impact on what the Packers can do in salary negotiations. If he hasn't decided by now, well,..... it's the Packers' problem.
if big ben were to go down with an injury next year who would you rather see come in as his back-up?

maddox,
batch,
or farve?

id want farve.

i think farve can still play and i dont blame, jordan, rice, or emmitt, for sticking around. thats the heart of a champion right there.

farves contract is a demon in and of itself. (see steve mcnair) brady and manning wont even be pulling in that type of dough. while farve can still play, whose to say 1 year of farve isnt worth 2 years of brees, or 6 years of kitna/ mccown, etc.? so you have a good point, i just think farve can contribute and play in the right situation.

DiggetyDank
04-11-2006, 01:56 AM
One has to have respect for Favre for all he's accomplished, but it's like he's keeping the team in limbo with his waffling. If he wants to bitch and moan about them signing players, he should just retire and take the GM job. While I'd want Favre as a backup over Gunz or Batch, he isn't going to be a backup - he wants to start.

I'd say the Packers may be screwed either way - Favre could break his interception record from last season, or Rodgers could continue the trend of Jeff Tedford-coached QB's sucking big-time in the NFL, like:

Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
David Carr (jury's still out)
Trent Dilfer (meh.)
Akili Smith :dang:

DIESELMAN
04-11-2006, 02:56 AM
if big ben were to go down with an injury next year who would you rather see come in as his back-up?

maddox,
batch,
or farve?

id want farve.

i think farve can still play and i dont blame, jordan, rice, or emmitt, for sticking around. thats the heart of a champion right there.

farves contract is a demon in and of itself. (see steve mcnair) brady and manning wont even be pulling in that type of dough. while farve can still play, whose to say 1 year of farve isnt worth 2 years of brees, or 6 years of kitna/ mccown, etc.? so you have a good point, i just think farve can contribute and play in the right situation.

I agree Tony....Brett has got a tough decision to make.He's still got the arm and physically can still compete with the rest of the league.I'd rather see him take his time and make sure his head and heart is in it then him making a half ass decision where it would really bite someone down the road.Like Favre said its baseball season Enjoy it!!! He'll make his decision and still give GB time to react in time for the draft.The Packers FO should be preparing for life with and without him that way no matter what his decision is they will be ready to play football.

Ambridge
04-11-2006, 08:44 AM
If he doesn't come back, sure, they drafted Aaron Rodgers last year, but if he gets hurt or can't play, the back-up is some guy named Tom Arth who played at John Carroll, a Div III team.

That's another good point.
While Favre sits around with his thumb up his ass trying to figure things out the Packers have probably lost any chance at finding a respectable veteran QB to be the back-up if "country" should decide to retire.

tony hipchest
04-11-2006, 09:32 AM
That's another good point.
While Favre sits around with his thumb up his ass trying to figure things out the Packers have probably lost any chance at finding a respectable veteran QB to be the back-up if "country" should decide to retire. yes but jeff george and kordell are just a phone call away:dang: