PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger Challenging Arians Play Calls?

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Based on these statements in PG+ this afternoon, sounds like #7 has decided to go public on some of his concerns with the play calling. Since Roethlisberger has always been an advocate for Arians this may mean #7 is getting tired of being exposed as a human pinata.

Ben Roethlisberger tells me that one reason he believes the Steelers have been so unsuccessful in the red zone is because they’re trying to get it all in one play. He said both he and Bruce Arians have talked about it this week and they’re making efforts to view it as a package of plays rather than trying to get into the end zone on first down....

The Steelers are not using the no-huddle offense nearly as often as they have in the past. Roethlisberger would like to use it more.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/106987-ed-heath-miller-not-practicing

When you add these statements to Ward and Wallace saying earlier this week that the Steelers need to call more runs when the other team is in Cover 2, it appears the players are getting fed up with the coordinator.

theplatypus
12-16-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't get fed up from that at all. It sounds to me that they're all trying to do what it takes to rectify the situation.

steelax04
12-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah, this sounds like people are trying to read too much into all of these comments to fit their "Arians sucks and banged my sister so he should die" agendas.

pete74
12-16-2010, 02:05 PM
sounds to me as though there working together on it but if Ben is calling out BA i would be happy

SoCalFan
12-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Im excited to hear this(if its true?).Ive been saying,as many others,we should mix in the hurry up more often.Its been shown that Ben excels when running it!Hopefully we see some positive change.Think about it,if our O steps it up with Ben calling/changing plays,the front office will take notice and FIRE BAs A$$..............

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't get fed up from that at all. It sounds to me that they're all trying to do what it takes to rectify the situation.

If you want to fix the probem you talk it over within your chain of command and have no need to say what is being discussed with others. In fact why would you let outsiders know you are going to change your habits?

If you want to point blame for the problem you go outside the chain of command to the media to let others know there is a problem that is not caused by you.

I have not heard Arians saying the red zone problems are due to play calling and that not enough no huddle is being used. I also have not heard Arians agreeing with Ward & Wallace that too many passing plays are being called. None of which is surprising since Arians calls the plays and is not bashful about telling the media when he believes a play call failed due to poor execution of the play.

Please walk me through how many times the defensive players are telling the press they are seeking changes from LeBeau? Given the pass coverage problems I doubt that silence is due to everything being perfect on the defensive side of the ball. One part of the team keeps its concerns in the family while the other side goes to the media - consider the possibility that has something to due with which cooordinator has the unquestiond support of his players.

SteelKnight
12-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Ben did express that he likes the no huddle. I remember a couple of games back they asked him why they improved later on and he said we started running no huddle and made a face like "I've been trying to get them to listen to me and do more of this."

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Ben did express that he likes the no huddle. I remember a couple of games back they asked him why they improved later on and he said we started running no huddle and made a face like "I've been trying to get them to listen to me and do more of this."

That was after the Patriots game I believe (or maybe after the Bills game?)-- Andrea Kremer asked Ben what we did differently in the second half, and he replied that:

"Pft, we went to the no-huddle." were his exact words. I suggested this possible rift growing between Ben and Arians on another Steelers forum and got slammed by everybody for creating controversey and starting rumors.....

But, I think when you add in the fact that last year, Ben went over Arians' head and asked Tomlin to go no-huddle during the Broncos game (and we dominated them the whole second half), Ben's comment mentioned above, and now this most recent article-- it starts to paint a pretty clear picture.

LVSteelersfan
12-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Arians should have been sent packing last year. I can't for the life of me figure out why he is still a coach on the Steeler's team. His unimaginitive playcalling will be the death of this team come playoff time. The defense has to play lights out every single game or we end up losing.

SteelCityMom
12-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Whether it's Ben and others calling Arians out or not, at least they're acknowledging that the calls they're running in the red zone aren't working.

I don't put all the blame for offensive woes on Arians shoulders, but I also think we need a shake-up at OC next season.

ZoneBlitzer
12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
No huddle = base offense isn't working. This has been the case for awhile now.

Fire Arians
12-16-2010, 04:22 PM
fire arians!

MasterOfPuppets
12-16-2010, 04:49 PM
. I suggested this possible rift growing between Ben and Arians on another Steelers forum and got slammed by everybody for creating controversey and starting rumors.....
it used to be like that around here too. speaking ill of the great bruce arians was frowned upon by the nazi's.

ricardisimo
12-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Yeah, this sounds like people are trying to read too much into all of these comments to fit their "Arians sucks and banged my sister so he should die" agendas.
He banged your sister, too?? Damn... boy gets around.

ricardisimo
12-16-2010, 04:52 PM
No huddle = base offense isn't working. This has been the case for awhile now.
Partly it means that the base offense isn't working, but partly it means that someone with a good football mind can improvise and make shit up in 25 seconds or less that's more successful than what Bruce works on all week long.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-16-2010, 04:59 PM
If teams will be blitzing us to no end, they need to use the no huddle. Call the play at the line, but halt the substitutions from the jets.

Not sure why you guys are saying people are reading into things.

Bens wants the no huddle

Ben doesnt like the play calling.

How hard is it to read, lol

MasterOfPuppets
12-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Partly it means that the base offense isn't working, but partly it means that someone with a good football mind can improvise and make shit up in 25 seconds or less that's more successful than what Bruce works on all week long.
that's it...no huddle = taking dipshit out of the equation :thumbsup:

Whodis
12-16-2010, 05:23 PM
If you want to fix the probem you talk it over within your chain of command and have no need to say what is being discussed with others. In fact why would you let outsiders know you are going to change your habits?

If you want to point blame for the problem you go outside the chain of command to the media to let others know there is a problem that is not caused by you.

I have not heard Arians saying the red zone problems are due to play calling and that not enough no huddle is being used. I also have not heard Arians agreeing with Ward & Wallace that too many passing plays are being called. None of which is surprising since Arians calls the plays and is not bashful about telling the media when he believes a play call failed due to poor execution of the play.

Please walk me through how many times the defensive players are telling the press they are seeking changes from LeBeau? Given the pass coverage problems I doubt that silence is due to everything being perfect on the defensive side of the ball. One part of the team keeps its concerns in the family while the other side goes to the media - consider the possibility that has something to due with which cooordinator has the unquestiond support of his players.

I think you summed it up right there Dan. As much as I believe Bruce Arians will never coach anywhere else in the NFL. It's kind of disturbing this made it outside of the locker room. You have to wonder how long it's been going on (players questioning BA).

When Ben addressed the trying to get it all in one play it makes me think back to why we can't just go for a short pass for a 1st down. It seems we go for 15 or 20 IMO.

Rick5895
12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Whether it's Ben and others calling Arians out or not, at least they're acknowledging that the calls they're running in the red zone aren't working.

I don't put all the blame for offensive woes on Arians shoulders, but I also think we need a shake-up at OC next season.

My guess is Gary Kubiak will be available, he was a damn good OC with Denver.

stairway27
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
God, I hope they run the no huddle and let Ben call the plays on Sunday. When he does that, he is just as good as Manning. That is why Ben has so many 4th quarter comebacks... He struggles all day with the BS plays that are being called, then at the drop of a hat, he drives the offense 80+ yards and scores when he's calling his own plays. There are only a handful of QB's that have that ability, and Ben is certainly one of them. It is absolutely INSANE that you would keep him bottled up for 3+ quarters. They let Manning run the show in Indy, and we all know that they have no problem scoring at will... IMO, Arians should be used as a coat rack...Nothing more...Nothing less...

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2010, 05:51 PM

Not quite - I just find it surprising players need to discuss their concerns with reporters if they believe their concerns are being addressed internally

If you care to go back and read my initial post rather than making a gratuitous attack on my motivation for posting I was not challenging Arians - I was wondering why the players are going public with their concerns regarding the play calling

But maybe you regard this to be standard operating procedure for players:noidea:

SH-Rock
12-16-2010, 05:52 PM
My guess is Gary Kubiak will be available, he was a damn good OC with Denver.

Yeah I think Kubiak will be available, but a lot of teams would want him. The Broncos for example would probably want him back. But maybe Norv Turner would also be gone if they don't make the playoffs.

stairway27
12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah I think Kubiak will be available, but a lot of teams would want him. The Broncos for example would probably want him back.

That's what I've been hearing as well. I also wouldn't rule out a reunion with his old buddy in DC. They are a mess offensively, and to be honest, the Redskins could have done what they have been doing this year (on offense) with Zorn still calling the plays. That being said, if he is offered the position in Denver as the Head Coach, he will be there.

finesward
12-16-2010, 06:50 PM

This :blah:

finesward
12-16-2010, 06:54 PM
God, I hope they run the no huddle and let Ben call the plays on Sunday. When he does that, he is just as good as Manning. That is why Ben has so many 4th quarter comebacks... He struggles all day with the BS plays that are being called, then at the drop of a hat, he drives the offense 80+ yards and scores when he's calling his own plays. There are only a handful of QB's that have that ability, and Ben is certainly one of them. It is absolutely INSANE that you would keep him bottled up for 3+ quarters. They let Manning run the show in Indy, and we all know that they have no problem scoring at will... IMO, Arians should be used as a coat rack...Nothing more...Nothing less...

Indy also has like the best O-line in the league according to those rankings that came out not too long ago

stairway27
12-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Indy also has like the best O-line in the league according to those rankings that came out not too long ago

I absolutely agree about the O-line, but Ben has proven many times (with our horrible O-line) that he can work wonders with the no huddle. Can you imagine what Ben could do with the Colts O-line?