PDA

View Full Version : Browns Overview of 2006 meeting with Steelers.

Justin Otstott
04-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers
Nov. 19 in Cleveland
Thursday, Dec. 7 in Pittsburgh

Overview: It's been a good while since the Browns have defeated the Steelers - 37 months, in fact, by the time the two teams face off for the first time during Week 11. Revenge will be on the mind of the Browns, who were embarrassed at home by a score of 41-0 during the teams' most recent meeting last Christmas Eve. While the defending Super Bowl champions' offseason was more notable for who they lost than who they gained - multitalented WR Antwaan Randle El left for Washington - the Steelers still have plenty of star power and bring a stacked lineup into 2006.

Key matchup: RB Willie Parker vs. the Browns' revamped run defense. The Steelers' 368 rushing yards in two games vs. the Browns last season were a big part of the two victories. The Browns finally have a run-stuffer in the middle in veteran nose tackle Ted Washington. To compete with the Steelers, stopping the run will be pivotal.

Last meeting: Steelers 41, Browns 0, on Dec. 24, 2005 in Cleveland.

All-time series: Browns lead, 55-51.

Source: Clevelandbrowns.com

I did not know they were leading the series 55-51!!!

Justin Otstott
04-08-2006, 12:32 AM
I think we take both games this year!!! The Browns have got some new talent but I got a good feeling about this season.

j-dawg
04-08-2006, 02:29 AM
i want so badly to disagree with you on this one... all i can say is that we're going to be tougher this year... so does your head coach....

"There's no question that they have helped themselves," said Steelers head coach Bill Cowher. "We have a tough division, and they're going to be near the top of it, I'm telling you."

Suitanim
04-08-2006, 09:08 AM
They won all the games for the first like 30 years, and we've won all the games since (more or less).

SteelCityMan786
04-08-2006, 01:55 PM
The Clowns Will Get the hell murdered by the Steelers and on December 7th they'll think the game started at 1 and they're will be signs that say hey Cleveland the Game Started at 8:00

j-dawg
04-08-2006, 01:58 PM
The Clowns Will Get the hell murdered by the Steelers and on December 7th they'll think the game started at 1 and they're will be signs that say hey Cleveland the Game Started at 8:00

dude... what? :blah:

Mr. Clean
04-08-2006, 02:12 PM
38 year old Ted Washington and 34 year old Willie McGinest will not stop the Steelers' rushing attack. The only way the Browns could stop the Steelers from running the ball is if the entire Steeler offensive line is hurt and the Steelers have no healthy running backs.

The Browns want "revenge"? What a joke. From 1950 through 1969, the Browns went 31-9 against Pittsburgh. The Steelers had only one season sweep in those 20 years.

The Steelers wen 12 years (1982-1993) without a sweep, including a seven game losing streak to Cleveland. Lately the Steelers have pounded on the Browns like everyone else.

Silly talk.

SteelCityMan786
04-08-2006, 02:14 PM
dude... what? :blah:

remember the Christmas Eve Game Last Year a browns had a sign that said Hey Guys The Game Started at 1.

j-dawg
04-08-2006, 02:25 PM
gotcha... i thought you were referring to the organization not knowing when the game started... i can't back all browns fans... just like the steelers... there's some that are a couple cards short of a full deck... like this dude, Nathan Mallett, who got arrested at that game...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/28BROWNSFANTACKLE20.jpg
"There's nothing I can say except I hate losing to the Steelers''

should have thought his problem through better... James Harrison body-slammed him onto the ground and held him for police after he rushed the field...

j-dawg
04-08-2006, 02:27 PM
38 year old Ted Washington and 34 year old Willie McGinest will not stop the Steelers' rushing attack. The only way the Browns could stop the Steelers from running the ball is if the entire Steeler offensive line is hurt and the Steelers have no healthy running backs.

The Browns want "revenge"? What a joke. From 1950 through 1969, the Browns went 31-9 against Pittsburgh. The Steelers had only one season sweep in those 20 years.

The Steelers wen 12 years (1982-1993) without a sweep, including a seven game losing streak to Cleveland. Lately the Steelers have pounded on the Browns like everyone else.

Silly talk.

whatever... people were saying reggie white was washed up when he signed with the packers... he had an immediate impact for that team... keep your "old fart" talk going... we'll see how they perform on the field.

i'm not looking for revenge.. we're still up on ya! hehehe....

BB2W
04-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I think that Romeo is gonna turn things around in Cleveland and they will eventually be contending for the division. The AFC North is a better place when the Browns are doing well... The Steelers Browns rivalry hasn't been the same since Cleveland fell to the bottom of the standings.

I would rather see the Browns do well than the Bengals...

j-dawg
04-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I think that Romeo is gonna turn things around in Cleveland and they will eventually be contending for the division. The AFC North is a better place when the Browns are doing well... The Steelers Browns rivalry hasn't been the same since Cleveland fell to the bottom of the standings.

i couldn't agree more!

SteelCityMan786
04-08-2006, 03:03 PM
gotcha... i thought you were referring to the organization not knowing when the game started... i can't back all browns fans... just like the steelers... there's some that are a couple cards short of a full deck... like this dude, Nathan Mallett, who got arrested at that game...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/28BROWNSFANTACKLE20.jpg
"There's nothing I can say except I hate losing to the Steelers''

should have thought his problem through better... James Harrison body-slammed him onto the ground and held him for police after he rushed the field...

Shows Mallet lose his common sense. Perhaps a permanant ban from Cleveland Browns Stadium will do him some good.

j-dawg
04-08-2006, 03:07 PM
the judge made him spend super bowl weekend in jail... 150 hours community service... and a five year ban from any football stadium....

SteelerzGirl
04-08-2006, 06:09 PM

Ditto! :smile:

Mr. Clean
04-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Old Fart Talk? I'm old enough to know that nobody in Cleveland hated the Steelers and would sell their souls to beat the Steelers until Pittsburgh started thrashing the Browns like a German Shepherd with a T-bone in its jaws.

Reggie White wasn't 34 or 38 when he signed with the Packers. He joined the Eagles in 1985 after a year or two in the USFL and left Philly (it's alwyas a good idea to leave Philly) around 1993.

To be objective - nobody knows if Frye can be a consistent NFL quarterback. No QB could have played well behind that OL in 2005. Droughns is a tough runner. The OL has been upgraded but well enough? Will Winslow stay healthy and contribute? Will Edwards return and contribute?

Their defense has not been considerably upgraded. Washington and McGinest are at the end of their careers.
Cleveland will not win 8 regular season games in 2006. They are not good enough. Even without Palmer, the Bengals have a better offense and their defense, while not outstanding, is still better than the Browns. 5-11 or 6-10 is the best they will do.

j-dawg
04-09-2006, 10:44 AM
yeah... reggie was 32... huge difference....

for not knowing how our team may play ... how do you know we'll go 5-11 or 6-10?

i remember people predicting we'd go 2-14 last year.... hmmmm....

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/6747699.jpg

CantStop85
04-09-2006, 10:52 AM
i remember people predicting we'd go 2-14 last year.... hmmmm....
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/6747699.jpg
Instead you shocked the world by going 6-10...congratulations.

CantStop85
04-09-2006, 10:57 AM
whatever... people were saying reggie white was washed up when he signed with the packers... he had an immediate impact for that team... keep your "old fart" talk going... we'll see how they perform on the field.

i'm not looking for revenge.. we're still up on ya! hehehe....
Reggie White was 2 years younger than McGinest and 6 years younger than Washington. And although McGinest and Washington have been good players in the past, Reggie White is a hall of famer.

I think McGinest was a good pickup, he might have 2 more years left in the tank. Washington, however, has been washed up ever since he went to Oakland.

j-dawg
04-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Instead you shocked the world by going 6-10...congratulations.

thanks! i dig improvement... being a cincinnati fan, you know where i'm coming from....

j-dawg
04-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Reggie White was 2 years younger than McGinest and 6 years younger than Washington. And although McGinest and Washington have been good players in the past, Reggie White is a hall of famer.

I think McGinest was a good pickup, he might have 2 more years left in the tank. Washington, however, has been washed up ever since he went to Oakland.

sure, sure, ... they're washed up, they won't make plays. we're going 6-10.

McGinest is a hall of famer.

SteelersGirlTN7
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
the judge made him spend super bowl weekend in jail... 150 hours community service... and a five year ban from any football stadium....

LOL I think a better punishment would have been to make him watch the Steelers win the Superbowl

Mr. Clean
04-09-2006, 11:54 AM
sure, sure, ... they're washed up, they won't make plays. we're going 6-10.

McGinest is a hall of famer.

Comment #1 - Correct.
Comment #2 - Correct again! - but not based on anything he will do wearing a Browns uniform.

j-dawg
04-09-2006, 12:02 PM
hehehe..

we'll see...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/77.jpg

BlackNGold203
04-09-2006, 12:06 PM
this is the NFL....

No quarterback...no success....

Ask the Bengals as they start 0-4 w/o Palmer this year....

Frye..I'm just not seeing it....reference Baltimore/Boller.....

Is anyone else getting any satisfaction watching that annoying ass Billick die slowly at the tip of his own sword?

offensive genius?

puhleez....

SteelCityMan786
04-09-2006, 12:31 PM

That Judge was smart. I don't want him in Heinz Field or Beaver Stadium this year. That way I know at least he can't interrupt and go on another trouble spree. if he would though I smell a power bombing

j-dawg
04-09-2006, 03:54 PM
this is the NFL....

No quarterback...no success....

Ask the Bengals as they start 0-4 w/o Palmer this year....

Frye..I'm just not seeing it....reference Baltimore/Boller.....

Is anyone else getting any satisfaction watching that annoying ass Billick die slowly at the tip of his own sword?

offensive genius?

puhleez....

come on... jury is already in on Frye with you?

he was 2-3 starting... with a decent showing against jacksonville and cincinnati...

if you're gaging your opinion of him on that 41-0 stomp you gave us... well... come on!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/5022.jpg

boLT fan
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I like Frye, just think he'll take a year or two to develope completely, but I think he'll be a pretty good QB eventually. You can't really call him bad when the whole Browns team sucked last year. Frye was the Rookie of the Week a few times if I remember right. (or Fedex air thing, I don't remember)

SteelerDan43
04-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Frye definatley gives them the best chance to succeed, he seems to have that aura about him that he is a winner and the team leader

hinesfield
04-09-2006, 04:27 PM
come on... jury is already in on Frye with you?

he was 2-3 starting... with a decent showing against jacksonville and cincinnati...

if you're gaging your opinion of him on that 41-0 stomp you gave us... well... come on!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e250/veryprofane/5022.jpg

he's good, he has potential but he's not ready for a top 5 defense like pittsburgh

Livinginthe past
04-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Frye has his work cut out in the Cleveland team - though he should have some useful offensive weaponry to help him out this year.

One of the reasons I think that Rivers will succeed is the sheer wealth of talent surrounding him in terms of offensive talent.

NM

SteelShooter
04-09-2006, 11:46 PM
i want so badly to disagree with you on this one... all i can say is that we're going to be tougher this year... so does your head coach....

"There's no question that they have helped themselves," said Steelers head coach Bill Cowher. "We have a tough division, and they're going to be near the top of it, I'm telling you."

I really believe they will be a much improved SQUAD also...........but they will not have gel'd as a TEAM yet. That takes a full year "+". But yes, they will be much better.

But I still foresee a sweep again by the Black-n-Gold Bro............sorry, just what I see.

Besides, it's been said time and time again; "You cannot buy a championship." Which looks to be exactly what Cleveland seems to be doing.

Not trying to be rude j-dawg. All of this, of course is only my Opinion.

BB2W
04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Check out this biased Browns/Steelers comparison...

link: http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=279420&Category=17

MasterOfPuppets
04-10-2006, 02:03 AM
Check out this biased Browns/Steelers comparison...

link: http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=279420&Category=17
:blah: :jerkit:

Suitanim
04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Actually, VERY early on, assuming the Rats have to roll with Boller and Carson sits for a few weeks, I have the Browns competitive in the North and winning up to 10 games next year. That article in the Repository wasn't as far off the mark as some might think.

clevestinks
04-11-2006, 10:53 AM
browns improved???? Not sure yet, thta can only be proved on the field.

I know they did get older.

Steelers, I believe we are still improving also. Ben will only get better.

j-dawg
04-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Actually, VERY early on, assuming the Rats have to roll with Boller and Carson sits for a few weeks, I have the Browns competitive in the North and winning up to 10 games next year. That article in the Repository wasn't as far off the mark as some might think.

i agree... we should win a couple more than six this year... we lost all but one of our games last year in the North... that has to change...

Stlrs4Life
04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Who really cares about that record anyway? The team that got most of those wins is in Baltimore now.

j-dawg
04-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Who really cares about that record anyway? The team that got most of those wins is in Baltimore now.

the team history stayed in cleveland... hence we're still called the browns...

clevestinks
04-12-2006, 11:20 AM
the team history stayed in cleveland... hence we're still called the browns...
Yes but here in cleveland its never really been the same! Those three years did crush the city, and I blame former Mayor White

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes but here in cleveland its never really been the same! Those three years did crush the city, and I blame former Mayor White
but on a positive note...at least ozzie newsome isn't there...he's really stinkin things up in bmore.:sofunny:

Mr. Clean
04-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah, Cleveland went three years without a team. People survived.

Sorry for being sarcastic, but - I grew up near Cleveland, and I grew tired of their "fans" whining and crying that Modell would not lift the blackout for the home games. Back in the 70s, a Browns ticket - granted, far from the field - was cheap. I did not shed a tear when they moved. Did anyone cry for Baltimore when Irsay destroyed the Colts' tradition and fan base there?
Or Oakland, when Al Davis sued to move - and won?

What would the Browns fans had in 1996-1998? I'll tell you - the Browns would have had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Any new ownership would have demanded a new stadium as a condition for buying the team - Cleveland Stadium was that bad. The Ratbirds' records from 1996-1998 was terrible. Only the Bungles kept them out of last place each year.

This is the eighth year of the new Browns. Lousy drafts, poor choices for coaches and crummy management - the same as when Modell was in Cleveland - continue to plague the Browns.

The browns will be fortunate to go 6-10 in 2006. Anything more is wishful thinking. Anyone who thinks the Browns will have "caught up" with the Steelers in 2007 is nuts.