PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes expects warm reception in Pittsburgh

stairway27
12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 16, 2010, 6:01 PM EST
Santonio Holmes

The Jets play at Pittsburgh on Sunday, which means Santonio Holmes will be returning to the place where he played the first four years of his career. Holmes thinks hell be greeted warmly.

Im pretty sure [the fans] will give me a standing ovation once I get on the field, Holmes said. Im pretty sure youll look in the stands and see a lot of No. 10 jerseys with Holmes on the back from the Steelers.

Im pretty sure Holmes is overestimating his popularity in Pittsburgh, but I guess well see on Sunday. One way or another, Holmes says hes planning to have a big game and make the Pittsburgh fans go home unhappy.

It wont be pretty for them, Holmes said.

SH-Rock
12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Dear Holmes,

You're an excellent receiver, while you quarterback is below average. He is going to make a lot of mistakes and thus there goes your big game.

Thanks

mikegrimey
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Holmes deserves a cordial reception but not a standing O.

stairway27
12-16-2010, 07:27 PM
I will always be grateful for "The Catch 2", but he wanted to leave. He wanted to go to a "big market" team. He didn't realize what he had in Pittsburgh, but I have a feeling that he soon will. I guess money is worth more to him than championships. Good luck with Sanchez Mr Holmes... Ben > Sanchez.

SH-Rock
12-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I will always be grateful for "The Catch 2", but he wanted to leave. He wanted to go to a "big market" team. He didn't realize what he had in Pittsburgh, but I have a feeling that he soon will. I guess money is worth more to him than championships. Good luck with Sanchez Mr Holmes... Ben > Sanchez.

No he didn't want to leave, he was just arrogant as fcuk and didn't care for anyone but himself. In the offseason he had two incidents which lead to his release.

MDSteel15
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
No he didn't want to leave, he was just arrogant as fcuk and didn't care for anyone but himself. In the offseason he had two incidents which lead to his release.

DING DING.... you win! :tt03:

stairway27
12-16-2010, 07:44 PM

No, I know he was released, and did a damn good job of making that happen, but he did specifically say that he wanted to play for a big market team before he was released. He wanted big time money, and the Steelers weren't going to give him what he wanted. Therefor, he valued money over rings... So yes, he did want to leave, because he wanted more $$$$

pete74
12-16-2010, 07:47 PM
he played great while he was here, never bad mouthed the steelers so i will be cheering for him when he comes out sunday. with that said, i hope he dosnt have a single catch

stb_steeler
12-16-2010, 08:24 PM
just as long as he doesnt see the dealer on the way in...:coffee:

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2010, 10:02 PM
The trash taking gets a little more intense in this article

"Those guys know if they give me an opportunity, trust me, I'm going to take advantage of it," said Holmes, who was traded to the Jets last April. "If they give me a crease, I'm going to take it to the house.

"Is that what you want to hear? Feed that to those guys [in Pittsburgh]. Those guys already know. If they give me an opportunity, they know that's going to happen."

Holmes isn't short on confidence. This is his personal Super Bowl. On Sunday, he gets to face the team that unloaded him for, basically, the price of a Gatorade bucket.

"It's been on my mind for quite some time, and I just never let it play a factor until now," he said. "Now is the time to get a chance to play against these guys. I spent four years there. It's definitely time to show these guys, 'Why let me go?'"

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5927394

Everyone knows Holmes being released had nothing to do with on the field performance - Holmes is lucky he is asking "why let me go?" to an organization that is not going to return fire by saying why he was dumped

cloppbeast
12-16-2010, 10:20 PM
I liked Santonio. Good WR, but not great. He made some tough catches, dropped some easy ones, but was dangerous running after the catch.

And personally, I could care less what the dude does for recreation.

With that said, I disliked how he made a big deal out of every catch. It was just annoying.

PhantomJB93
12-16-2010, 10:48 PM
He deserves to be cheered, I mean he basically won us a Super Bowl. But he just gave off the impression int hat quote that we are still going to idolize him even though he is now on another team; that is not the case.

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
I liked Santonio. Good WR, but not great. He made some tough catches, dropped some easy ones, but was dangerous running after the catch.

And personally, I could care less what the dude does for recreation.

With that said, I disliked how he made a big deal out of every catch. It was just annoying.

What the players do away from work is their own business unless it impacts their ability to do the work - being suspended for smoking pot would not occur if I ran the league but those are the rules - if you previously have tested positive and know your next positive test is going to result in losing 25% of your salary as well as missing 4 games for the year I would say that indicates you have a substance abuse problem and are incredibly irresponsible

Atlanta Dan
12-16-2010, 10:52 PM
He deserves to be cheered, I mean he basically won us a Super Bowl. But he just gave off the impression int hat quote that we are still going to idolize him even though he is now on another team; that is not the case.

In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, I root for laundry

We are not talking here about Polamalu returning to Heinz with another team

Shea
12-16-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't see him getting a standing O unless they show that catch that resulted in ring numero six.

LVSteelersfan
12-17-2010, 01:30 AM
I hope Ryan Clark takes his head off on a wobbly pass from Sanchez as he runs for his life. If they play back in coverage and don't blitz the crap out of Sanchez I am going to be so PO'ed. They need to take Sanchez out. Holmes can't do squat if the ball doesn't get to him. Holmes drops as many passes as he catches. Same as Braylon Edwards. What a great WR corps they have in New Jersey. NOT !!!!!

Fire Arians
12-17-2010, 01:42 AM
i'll always appreciate the beast mode he went into in the 2008 playoffs. he was the hero of that entire postseason. that was then, this is now, but yeah i don't hate the guy. it's possible we don't win #6 without him. i don't think highly of him as a character, but as a player he did a lot for us. I'd clap for him in the intro, then hope ryan clark makes him leave with a concussion. tough love i guess

4xSBChamps
12-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Holmes says hes planning to have a big game and make the Pittsburgh fans go home unhappy.

It wont be pretty for them, Holmes said.

BggMrISdRIo

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Another attempt to portray Santonio as basically a good guy

Being a Father Takes Jets’ Holmes Out of His Shell

As Holmes, 26, and the Jets head to Pittsburgh for a Sunday contest filled with playoff implications, he talks with and thinks often about his firstborn. Santonio III, 8, lives here, outside Atlanta, with his mother and younger brother, Nicori. They toss footballs painted Steelers colors. They play the Steelers on Madden NFL 10. But they, too, understand the conflicting emotions prompted by their father’s return to Pittsburgh.

“Go, Jets,” Nicori, 6, said recently. “I curse the Steelers!” :chuckle:

Holmes speaks regularly with all his children — he also has two daughters

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/sports/football/19holmes.html?ref=sports

Santonio's kids seem nice enough but a story that attempts to portray you as a good father but skates around the fact you are are not married to any of the mothers seems to undermine the premise of the story but that is probably being judgmental - hey, it works for Tom Brady so why not for Tone? Marriage is so last century.

thumper
12-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Him catching a game-winner would not surprise me in the least
and will put a spot of egg on Rooney's grill.

Atlanta Dan
12-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Him catching a game-winner would not surprise me in the least
and will put a spot of egg on Rooney's grill.

Is your other name bobby jr?:noidea:

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
What the players do away from work is their own business unless it impacts their ability to do the work - being suspended for smoking pot would not occur if I ran the league but those are the rules - if you previously have tested positive and know your next positive test is going to result in losing 25% of your salary as well as missing 4 games for the year I would say that indicates you have a substance abuse problem and are incredibly irresponsible

Amen, brother.

STEELERS ROCK
12-19-2010, 08:37 AM
It's not like they are going to announce his name and he runs out by himself, I'm thinking the Steeler fans standing will be the ones on the way to their seats. Fans may do something else before the game as a tribute to him though.

:smoker:

4xSBChamps
12-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Fans may do something else before the game as a tribute to him though.

... yinz ain't allowed to take a dump in the aisles at Heinz Field an'at, are ya?

MasterOfPuppets
12-19-2010, 01:32 PM
they should have easy wider rolling paper day , and the fans could throw them on the field when they announce holmes...:chuckle:

IowaSteeler927
12-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Holmes thanks for what you did for us in Pittsburgh but please stop doing that stupid pose where you stick the ball out with one hand and drop it on the ground every time you get a first down. It just gets old and repetitive after you have seen it like four times in one game.