PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians speaks

mesaSteeler
12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/12/16/bruce-arians-speaks-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Bruce Arians speaks
December 16th, 2010

Here are some excerpts from Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’ weekly chat with reporters Thursday.

Q: How concerned are you by the offense’s inability to score touchdowns in recent weeks?

A: “It’s going to work itself out. We’ve just got to make some plays. The two areas that have been poor are our running game, and our first and 10 passing has not been very good. Probably a little bit my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple of short ones but it always works itself out.”

Q: Do you steer clear of throwing at a cornerback at good as Darrelle Revis or do you have to avoid having that kind of mindset?

A: “You read your reads and the coverage dictates where you’re going to throw. When you start throwing away from people you start throwing into coverage. Guys have got to beat him and you’ve got to throw it and catch it. He is a heck of a player as is Antonio (Cromartie) but you can’t dodge players whether it was Deion Sanders or whoever it was in the past.”

Q: How tall of a task will it be for the offensive line to keep quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright against the Jets?

A: “(Jets head coach) Rex (Ryan) has always had a fantastic blitx package. It’s very similar to the Steelers in that they have a lot of confusion before the snap. Add a little confusion to a very good pass rush and your offensive line’s got their hands full. Same thing when James Harrison and (LaMarr) Woodley are running around. You’re not thinking about your set, you’re thinking about who the heck you’ve got.”

Q: How impressed were you with Jets center Nick Mangold when he was coming out of college?

A: “I thought he was going to be a good player. I wouldn’t trade (Maurkice) Pouncey for him.”

Q: How much of a concern are the holding penalties that have been called against the Steelers, and how do you rectify that problem?

A: “You can call (holding) on every play if you want to. We’ve bounced outside and made some long runs, and their judgment was we restricted a guy. Our judgment was we let go. You can’t win so you’ve got to keep your hands in and you’ve got to do a better job of getting the body in position. Most of our holding penalties have occurred on the inside running play that has bounced outside. If a guy’s got inside out position he has to feel the defender and let him go because Rashard (Mendenhall) will outrun him. It’s better technique and knowing when to let go.”

SH-Rock
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
“It’s going to work itself out. We’ve just got to make some plays. The two areas that have been poor are our running game, and our first and 10 passing has not been very good. Probably a little bit my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple of short ones but it always works itself out.”

Really are you retarded? Work itself out. that must be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. And no shit you go for the endzone too much, just get the first down and move on. And the running game is not weak, your play calling is weak. It's run up the middle and thats it hope for the best. Sure Pouncey is the best lineman but it's too obvious.

MACH1
12-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Run, run, pass.

saveus1011
12-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Run, run, pass.

I call him R2P2 (Run, Run, Pass, Punt)

tony hipchest
12-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Bruce... Arians..... Speaks....

i cringe anytime i read these 3 words.

:doh:

:dang:

:banging:

Fire Arians
12-17-2010, 12:36 AM
'it's going to work itself out'

i stopped reading after that, fire his ass.

REAL coaches recognize problems and fix them. a piece of shit o-coordinator that probably isn't qualified to coach pee wee football says any shortcoming will 'work itself out'. if not for the high talent level of our squad we'd be dead last in offense

California-Steel
12-17-2010, 02:55 AM
if not for the high talent level of our squad we'd be dead last in offenseYou mean we're not?! :chuckle:

wootawnee
12-17-2010, 02:59 AM
You guys notice ever since Cowher and Whiz left our gadget plays look like the Keystone Kops?.......

Whodis
12-17-2010, 06:40 AM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/12/16/bruce-arians-speaks-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Bruce Arians speaks
December 16th, 2010
A: “It’s going to work itself out. We’ve just got to make some plays. The two areas that have been poor are our running game, and our first and 10 passing has not been very good. Probably a little bit my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple of short ones but it always works itself out.”

I feel stupid for not thinking this wouldn't work itself out. So are teams going to adjust so that the bullshit we do starts working?

Lastly, stop placing the blame on Bruce Arians. Obviously it's only "a little bit" his fault and the blame has to be directed to all others.

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2010, 07:35 AM
The practice of Bill Parcells, which Belichick and other coaches have implemented, is that only the HC speaks to the media

Since I assume LeBeau would not care, Tomlin needs to consider such a policy to shut this gas bag up

I agree this will "work itself out" - by hiring a new offensive coordinator

Whodis
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
I agree this will "work itself out" - by hiring a new offensive coordinator

CLASSIC ^

TRH
12-17-2010, 08:00 AM
"it's going to work itself out. We've got to make some plays".
Wow.
Really? That might be the dumbest answer to a question i've heard.....sheez.

Although i will agree with him on one point...that refs can call a holding play on every play if they want to. Only thing is its bad news when they're calling your guys every other play and not calling on the other guys. How many times does Harrison almost have to get thrown to the ground? This is even caught on tape all the time.

madtowndrunkard
12-17-2010, 09:34 AM
You guys notice ever since Cowher and Whiz left our gadget plays look like the Keystone Kops?.......

Yes..... Watching us run a screen to the RB is almost as funny.

That points to lack of preparation by the offense. Meaning Arians is not getting his offense prepared enough to run those plays. It goes back to what Ive been saying about Arians for 3 years now. He tries to run our offense 100mph. He asks our players to do things that just BEG for mistakes to happen. Like driving a car 100mph through city streets. Eventually you will crash. Asking your QB to make 6-7 step drops and running your WR's on deep routes when you only need 4-6 yards is suicide. Especially with a QB who holds onto the ball to long and an O-line that struggles with pass protection. I blame everyone of those holds on Arians. I blame most of the sacks on Arians.

It appears to me Arians thinks he can use Bens ability to break a few tackles on every pass play. If Ben can some how escape it will leave our WRs one on one and deep. Which in principle is true, but to execute such a feat is not realistic. Not to mention he's killing our QB.

We desperately need a new OC. We will not win in the playoffs with Arians - PERIOD.

fer522
12-17-2010, 09:53 AM
can we plz fire his ass

FanSince72
12-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes..... Watching us run a screen to the RB is almost as funny.

That points to lack of preparation by the offense. Meaning Arians is not getting his offense prepared enough to run those plays. It goes back to what Ive been saying about Arians for 3 years now. He tries to run our offense 100mph. He asks our players to do things that just BEG for mistakes to happen. Like driving a car 100mph through city streets. Eventually you will crash. Asking your QB to make 6-7 step drops and running your WR's on deep routes when you only need 4-6 yards is suicide. Especially with a QB who holds onto the ball to long and an O-line that struggles with pass protection. I blame everyone of those holds on Arians. I blame most of the sacks on Arians.

It appears to me Arians thinks he can use Bens ability to break a few tackles on every pass play. If Ben can some how escape it will leave our WRs one on one and deep. Which in principle is true, but to execute such a feat is not realistic. Not to mention he's killing our QB.

We desperately need a new OC. We will not win in the playoffs with Arians - PERIOD.

I absolutely agree with this!!!

In fact, I'll go as far as to say that Arians is designing plays today as if Jerome was still at tailback and the O-line was fresh as a daisy and that's simply not the case.

He's designing plays that require the O-line to hold blocks for 4 to 5 seconds when in reality they're lucky if they can hold them for 2 to 3 seconds. Ben doesn't help matters when he decides to "go walkabout" on every other play because he forces the line to not only have to block even longer, but they now have to watch where he is as well as where defenders are coming from and that totally gasses them.

What needs to happen (in my humble opinion) is for Arians and Ben to adopt a game plan that works WITH the 2 to 3 second blocking time instead of against it and that means a (gasp!) West Coast Style of offense. I know that this is not "Steeler Football" but it would work a helluva lot better than designing "Steeler" plays with an O-line that could barely handle the West Coast plays.

Stop running the deep routes that take forever to develop and stop trying to make Mendenhall into Bettis. Design plays that work towards smaller, more predictable gains and develop some consistency and take the pressure off the O-line. THEN, when the situation presents itself, take your shots downtown or maybe try a solid "up the middle" run when you really need it and have a relatively fresh O-line suck it up for those occasional plays instead of on every down.

I know no one wants to hear this but that's what makes Belichick a great coach; he's able to look at what he HAS and design around that rather than trying to design plays for something he wishes he had or used to have.

Maybe one day we'll get another tailback like Jerome and we can get back to Steeler Football, but for now I'd just like to see some consistent and productive football no matter what it's called.

WisconsinSteelerMan
12-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Can't you tell that this idiot came to the Steelers from friggin' CLEVELAND...

What a powerhouse to get your O-coordinator from...

MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP!!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Whodis
12-17-2010, 12:44 PM
It had to be a bad year for OC's

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2010, 07:02 AM

Opposing coaches also have noticed how the superior intellect of Bruce Arians draws up the plays:chuckle:

This is a quote from Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine.

"There's not much precision to the (Steelers') passing attack, and a lot of it turns into playground stuff."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/12/19/2010-12-19_santonio_holmes_returns_to_heinz_field_to_face_ former_steelers_team_for_first_ti.html?page=2

Surprising to hear an opposing team's coach be that candid, but my bet is Arians is regarded around the league as a chump who benefits from having a very talented QB

grward
12-19-2010, 07:55 AM
"There's not much precision to the (Steelers') passing attack, and a lot of it turns into playground stuff."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/12/19/2010-12-19_santonio_holmes_returns_to_heinz_field_to_face_ former_steelers_team_for_first_ti.html?page=2

That's a huge insult! Think Arians is smart enough to know its an insult?

FanSince72
12-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, another way to look at it is that they said the same thing about Terry Bradshaw - that he was little more than a sandlot QB and he won four SB's in six years.

In fact, I've often considered Ben as being the nearest thing to Bradshaw that we've ever had. The only real difference between Ben and Terry is that Terry had a longer arm. But other than that, if you shortened Ben by a few inches and had him wear a #12, they'd be virtually identical.

I don't know about you, but I think that's a good thing, no?

BengalDestroyer
12-19-2010, 09:03 AM

yes

Atlanta Dan
12-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Well, another way to look at it is that they said the same thing about Terry Bradshaw - that he was little more than a sandlot QB and he won four SB's in six years.

In fact, I've often considered Ben as being the nearest thing to Bradshaw that we've ever had. The only real difference between Ben and Terry is that Terry had a longer arm. But other than that, if you shortened Ben by a few inches and had him wear a #12, they'd be virtually identical.

The QB does not draw up the passing attack - in the case of the Steelers he salvages it

Ben runs for his life on a weekly basis and IMO that is based on more than the shortcomings of the OL and Ben's propensity to hold on to the ball too long

SteelKnight
12-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I want more...

MattsMe
12-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Ben has more hair.

But Bradshaw has his own album.

I'd say it's a toss up.

Chadmagic
12-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I call him R2P2 (Run, Run, Pass, Punt)

Best nickname ever!

FanSince72
12-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Ben has more hair.

But Bradshaw has his own album.

I'd say it's a toss up.

LOL!

mesaSteeler
12-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Gadget plays? What are these gadget plays that you speak of? I haven't seen a Steelers gadget play since SB 40.

FanSince72
12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
The QB does not draw up the passing attack - in the case of the Steelers he salvages it

Ben runs for his life on a weekly basis and IMO that is based on more than the shortcomings of the OL and Ben's propensity to hold on to the ball too long

I'm not letting the O-line off the hook, but Arians has got to stop designing game plans that require 4 to 5 second blocks or blocking for a "power running" play . He needs to realize that the line is only good for 2 to 3 seconds and they simply don't have the "push" for a power game and he needs to design plays around THAT.

As the line gets better & healthier, THEN he can start adding more complex or "power" plays. But right now the reality is that he's limited and he needs to deal with that.

Ignoring reality doesn't mean it isn't there.

Chadmagic
12-19-2010, 01:49 PM
People can blame the linemen all they want. In fact I hope they do because he is in charge of them and it all still falls squarely on his shoulders. If the problem is the line he should speak up and get us better players. It's his JOB! If he isn't fixing it them he becomes the problem.

It doesn't matter where the problem is it's still up to him to fix it and he's not!