PDA

View Full Version : Pete Prisco in pro-Pats article shocker!

Livinginthe past
04-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Is this some kind of cruel mind game Pete Prisco is playing with football fans?

Or has he really put aside his anti-Pats, anti-Belichick persona and allowed common sense to feature in one of his media offerings?

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9364067

Maybe its just a sign of an approaching armageddon!

NM

tony hipchest
04-08-2006, 07:24 PM
"If you're seeking a player who is moving up the draft boards, take a look at Florida State receiver Willie Reid. He ran a 4.34 at the combine and that speed, coupled with his ability to return kicks, has brought on some interest.

Reid returned seven punts for 180 yards in the Seminoles' Orange Bowl loss to Penn State, earning game MVP honors. He returned one punt 87 yards for a touchdown. He also had 210 all-purpose yards in the ACC title game upset of Virginia Tech.

The knock on Reid is that he is small at 5-feet-10 and 188 pounds, but with that speed, he's worth a look. He also caught 50 passes for 634 yards last year."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this could be a decent replacement for randel el in the return game. a late round pick who could also yield a project #2 or #3 wr.

DIESELMAN
04-08-2006, 07:50 PM
The knock on Reid is that he is small at 5-feet-10 and 188 pounds, but with that speed, he's worth a look. He also caught 50 passes for 634 yards last year."

Size don't mean a thing.....Steve Smith 5'9" Santana Moss 5"10" Deion Branch 5'9" Antonio Chatman 5'9" Mark Clayton 5'10" Az-Zahir Hakim 5'10" Derrick Mason 5'10"
The one thing a smaller receiver needs to be able to do is come off the line without being jammed up by a cb.The other thing is separation you don't have to be the fastest guy out there but if a receiver knows how to explode off the line theres your separation....and its on from there.....:helmet:

Suitanim
04-10-2006, 08:26 AM
What's interesting is they're knocking him for being small, but the #1 guy on a lot of draft boards is Santonio Holmes who is exactly 1/2" taller, weighs 9 lbs less, and also ran a 4.34 in the 40.

I just read this about Holmes, and it's a cause for concern:

"Has only average size...Lacks elite timed speed...Might have trouble beating the jam in the pros...Will let some balls get into his body...A willing blocker who gives top effort but his size will always limit him in that area...Was not super productive but he played in a run-first offense...Might not be a true #1 at the next level."

By now, you all know that I feel the biggest difference between College and NFL WR's is seperation.

hardwork
04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
"The Patriots aren't free-spending in part because they are facing giving star defensive lineman Richard Seymour and receiver Deion Branch new contracts, although if the price for the latter gets out of control, it wouldn't be shocking to see them let him go, too."

I think they will let Branch go it he costs too much. What scares me more is how much they may have to pay Seymour.

Livinginthe past
04-12-2006, 02:11 PM
"The Patriots aren't free-spending in part because they are facing giving star defensive lineman Richard Seymour and receiver Deion Branch new contracts, although if the price for the latter gets out of control, it wouldn't be shocking to see them let him go, too."

I think they will let Branch go it he costs too much. What scares me more is how much they may have to pay Seymour.

There have been unconfirmed rumors that Patriots fans will be 'shocked and surprised' at the size of the contract the they are going to offer Big Sey - but I odnt know whether this means a huge contract, or one that is smaller than we would have expected.

If I had to guess id probably say the former.

NM

tony hipchest
04-12-2006, 05:58 PM
There have been unconfirmed rumors that Patriots fans will be 'shocked and surprised' at the size of the contract the they are going to offer Big Sey - but I odnt know whether this means a huge contract, or one that is smaller than we would have expected.

If I had to guess id probably say the former.

NM im pretty sure it was a HUGE contract, being that he signed it (terms undisclosed). i think seymour has pretty much played hardball with them and placed himself second on the value list behind brady (steelers face the same with making polamalu the highest paid safety after next season). i think the patriots had no alternative and now probably wish they wouldve (or couldve) worked out something longterm last year before the new ollective barganing agreement reached. that alone probably drove up his price about $2 mil/ year. (loosely based on a contract for 6 years being about $12-15 mil richer.)

hardwork
04-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Well, this was the shoe that we've been waiting for to drop. It is the reason they developed the cap room. I'd be surprised if it isn't front end loaded with a large 1st year bonus bringing down the cap impact in the years to come.

Hey, four pro-bowls, still young, the strength and agility to play like a man among boys, gotta pay him.

hardwork
04-12-2006, 07:57 PM
"With Seymour in the fold, the Patriots have one of the youngest, most talented defensive lines in the NFL with Seymour (2010), Ty Warren (2008), Vince Wilfork (2009), Jarvis Green (2009), and Marquise Hill (2008) all locked up for the long-term. Seymour, Warren and Wilfork are all former first-round picks."

http://www.boston.com

tony hipchest
04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, this was the shoe that we've been waiting for to drop. It is the reason they developed the cap room. I'd be surprised if it isn't front end loaded with a large 1st year bonus bringing down the cap impact in the years to come.

despite being bit by the injury bug the last 2 years, frontloading his contract would be the way to go. they can afford it and he doesnt seem like the type who would forget a HUGE (y.t.b.d.) signing bonus and start whining about more $$$$ if 3 years down the road his yearly salary wasnt in the top 5 or 10. this saves the trouble of re-negotiating or re structuring in the future.

hardwork
04-12-2006, 08:46 PM
despite being bit by the injury bug the last 2 years, frontloading his contract would be the way to go. they can afford it and he doesnt seem like the type who would forget a HUGE (y.t.b.d.) signing bonus and start whining about more $$$$ if 3 years down the road his yearly salary wasnt in the top 5 or 10. this saves the trouble of re-negotiating or re structuring in the future.

Yup. Well that's all she wrote. They have Brady on one side of the ball, and Seymour on the other. The rest will have to fight for the left overs because they aren't going to pay anyone else that kind of money.

Livinginthe past
04-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Yup. Well that's all she wrote. They have Brady on one side of the ball, and Seymour on the other. The rest will have to fight for the left overs because they aren't going to pay anyone else that kind of money.

If it all works out then you have to love what the F.O. has achieved.

The motto seems simple : Only pay the irreplaceable the big bucks.

The loss of Givens I think may hurt us this season (unless we pull an FA signing out of thin air, or go WR 1-3 in the draft) - but locking Big Sey up for 5/6 years is huge - he makes the rest of the D-Line and the LB corps better with his presense.

I also agree that Branch will be gone if he tried to elevate his price beyond what the Pats think its reasonable for a WR that operates in their spread-it-around system.

NM

hardwork
04-13-2006, 12:04 AM
"If it all works out then you have to love what the F.O. has achieved."

I think it will, and I agree, they played it just right.

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
"If you're seeking a player who is moving up the draft boards, take a look at Florida State receiver Willie Reid. He ran a 4.34 at the combine and that speed, coupled with his ability to return kicks, has brought on some interest.

Reid returned seven punts for 180 yards in the Seminoles' Orange Bowl loss to Penn State, earning game MVP honors. He returned one punt 87 yards for a touchdown. He also had 210 all-purpose yards in the ACC title game upset of Virginia Tech.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this could be a decent replacement for randel el in the return game. a late round pick who could also yield a project #2 or #3 wr. ill take credit for pointing him out but i had no idea hed be a 3rd round pick.