PDA

View Full Version : Update: Polamalu listed as doubtful with ankle injury

saveus1011
12-16-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/1111429-66.stm?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

:(

steelerohio
12-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Not good... that's for sure...

tony hipchest
12-16-2010, 11:37 PM
not good news at all. we've all known about polamalus ankle and achilles this season.

but ryan clark may have let the cat out of the bag when he mentioned troys knee on twitter.

troy was certainly gimpy at 2 different instances in last weeks game, and it now appears obvious that he was running on adrenaline. the latteral (that i feel he has taken too much heat for) makes a bit more sense now.

toughsticks87
12-16-2010, 11:50 PM
As long as he's good for the playoffs. They could sit him the rest of the season if we need to.

SH-Rock
12-16-2010, 11:55 PM
I still have hope for our team. Offense needs to step it up this time.

saveus1011
12-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Y'know, I did post this here in hopes that someone would say "That's not accurate."

:(

Fire Arians
12-17-2010, 12:31 AM
'saveus' is right :(

hopefully will allen is a lot better than t. carter. seriously this team is ****ed without polamalu. if history repeats itself we lose to the jets.

jets fans everywhere must be celebrating in light of this news

saveus1011
12-17-2010, 12:35 AM
This is going to cost me a hat. I have a bet with a friend of mine who's a hardcore Jets fan.

Fire Arians
12-17-2010, 12:39 AM
well honestly im not pencilling this in as a loss yet, but i'd be lying if i said i was as optimistic as i was previously. troy is the guy we can least afford to lose, on the entire team.

saveus1011
12-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Him and Ben are the reasons we're as good as we are. One half can't do it all.

wootawnee
12-17-2010, 02:52 AM
not good news at all. we've all known about polamalus ankle and achilles this season.

but ryan clark may have let the cat out of the bag when he mentioned troys knee on twitter.

troy was certainly gimpy at 2 different instances in last weeks game, and it now appears obvious that he was running on adrenaline. the latteral (that i feel he has taken too much heat for) makes a bit more sense now.

I think that's when he got hurt Tony....When he got blasted after he lateraled......He was hobbled coming off the field ........

Deserei90
12-17-2010, 03:20 AM
http://ffd.me/gnrjNy Just when you thought everything was fallen into place. Everything just breaks apart.:banging: My only hope is Woodley and Harrison and Keisel to stop it all. I'm not ready to rule out a lost just yet, I mean yes Troy is a game changer, but The Steelers know how big of a game this is, compared to the last two. Don't stop having the faith Steelers Fans, We GOT This!!:tt03:

Acerinox
12-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Wot? That's not "official" at all.
A third-party website says the Post-Gazette says Troy isn't practising and may miss the game!
Stop stirring

BGSU A Dub
12-17-2010, 03:48 AM
I understand that Troy is an impact player and a true asset when he is in the game BUT there are 10 other people on the defense that are capable of playing great. This game is not over because Troy can't play- look how the team did without the starting quarterback (who is someone that touches the ball every play on offense [minus the wildcat]) for 4 games. 1 game (granted it's a big one) without Troy doesn't mean they should chalk up the loss already. You guys were making fun of the Jets and how doom and gloom they are: look at what you are doing in response to just one player. Oy vey. :banging: :doh:

SH-Rock
12-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Just in case you haven't noticed
Troy saved our asses in the past 3 games due to a big play

BGSU A Dub
12-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Just in case you haven't noticed
Troy saved our asses in the past 3 games due to a big play

Noted. BUT just because he can't play doesn't mean others won't step up. If Woodley had made those plays for 3 consecutive weeks and was out for this game, would it get the same response? My thought is no. I love Troy and he is absolutely a game changer, but we can't say we are going to win or lose based on him being out.

Deserei90
12-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Wot? That's not "official" at all.
A third-party website says the Post-Gazette says Troy isn't practising and may miss the game!
Stop stirringOkay, Maybe I panicked a bit but , seems likely. Hopefully this isn't the case.

Fire Haley
12-17-2010, 04:26 AM
The PPG is reporting he's OUT.

What a disaster

Rick5895
12-17-2010, 04:42 AM
The PPG is reporting he's OUT.

What a disaster

While the post gazette say he is out, there is no info in the trib or as of this morning on the ESPN site or SI site.

pete74
12-17-2010, 04:48 AM
thats nutz, i didnt know he was injured that bad. it has to be serious if they ruled him out thursday

pete74
12-17-2010, 04:52 AM
Troy is by far our most important player and without him we have an all together different defense. of course were still good on defense but we are lacking the difference maker when troy isnt there. with that said he must really be banged up if there ruling him out already.

SteelCityMom
12-17-2010, 05:00 AM
We'll find out later today what his official status is. Until then, I'm going to merge this with the other Troy thread. I'll change the title of that thread when we find out for sure.

Steelers' Polamalu not likely to play vs. Jets
Friday, December 17, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351/1111429-66.stm

Troy Polamalu, who has made game-changing defensive plays in each of the past three games, is not expected to play Sunday against the New York Jets after aggravating his lower-leg injury on a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Polamalu has not practiced the past two days, which has been the routine for the five-time Pro Bowl safety since he was injured last month. But he has always practiced Friday and played Sunday -- until now.

The Steelers do not have to list Polamalu's official injury status for the game until today after practice. He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Ryan Mundy or Will Allen.

Despite aggravating his injury in the second quarter against the Bengals, Polamalu never missed a play and even had a second interception in the fourth quarter.

His teammates have suggested that one of the reasons he lateraled the ball to cornerback Bryant McFadden on the second interception -- a move that upset coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau -- was because Polamalu did not want to continue to run with his injury, especially because it could have been a lengthy return.

Polamalu, who has four of his team-high six interceptions during the team's four-game winning streak, has been a defensive hero lately.

His diving interception at the Steelers' 2 in the final three minutes in Buffalo prevented the Bills from tying the game or scoring the go-ahead touchdown in the Steelers' overtime victory. The following week, his strip sack on Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco led to the winning touchdown with 2:51 remaining in a 13-10 victory in Baltimore. And his interception return for touchdown against the Bengals tied the score and ignited the Steelers in a 23-7 victory.

Fire Haley
12-17-2010, 05:31 AM
As long as he's good for the playoffs. They could sit him the rest of the season if we need to.

We don't even know if he's coming back at all

If it's his Achilles he could be done for the year - he could have popped it after the hit on that lateral - who knows, they're not talking - no other site is reporting this yet

WeegiesWarriors
12-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Clearly we are not facing an offensive juggernaut in the Jets with or without Troy. The Steelers are figuring they can get by without him here, and clearly should not need him next week against Carolina. They're hoping that they have the second spot sewn up by then rendering the browns game moot. They're trying to get him 4 solid weeks of rest to get him ready for a playoff run.

From here on out we aren't playing any team that scares me offensively. Challenge Troy's backup and the rest of the team to step up. Championship teams need to win without their defensive playmaker now and then.

Goat27
12-17-2010, 05:35 AM
what's really F'd up, is he was clearly hurt, limping after the TD, he has an achilles problem, and coach still let him play....that's not smart....i'm still wondering why they are letting Ben play? If that's the case Aaron Smith shoulda never missed a game this year

BGSU A Dub
12-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Clearly we are not facing an offensive juggernaut in the Jets with or without Troy. The Steelers are figuring they can get by without him here, and clearly should not need him next week against Carolina. They're hoping that they have the second spot sewn up by then rendering the browns game moot. They're trying to get him 4 solid weeks of rest to get him ready for a playoff run.

From here on out we aren't playing any team that scares me offensively. Challenge Troy's backup and the rest of the team to step up. Championship teams need to win without their defensive playmaker now and then.

THIS is the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

SteelCityMom
12-17-2010, 05:59 AM
I haven't read anything about an Achilles problem (not recently anyways)...most of what I've read either says lower leg injury or ankle.

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu could be out against the Jets, the Post-Gazette reports, after aggravating an ankle injury that has bothered him for the last month. (The Post-Gazette calls it a “lower-leg injury.”) If he were absent, it would be a significant blow to the Steelers, obviously.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2010/12/17/1881586/steelers-vs-jets-troy-polamalu-injury

Deserei90
12-17-2010, 06:10 AM
They never said anything about a Achilles problem. Mostly aggravated something. If you ask me maybe there giving him time off to heal before playoffs, because he's gonna need it. Get well Troy!

Whodis
12-17-2010, 06:31 AM
This news mixed in with the Miller update really sucks.

I've never seen a guy turn a game around like he does and he's such a game changer. Our defense is not the same without him and I'm sure there are stats to back that up.

finesward
12-17-2010, 07:09 AM
who knows? maybe will allen is a beast? lol

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Further evidence how crucial pulling out that Ravens win was

If they beat Carolina and Cleveland they get the bye even with a loss to the Jets

The ideal situation is having New Orleans beat the Ravens in the 1 pm game Sunday followed by the Steelers defeating the Jets

Since the Steeelrs can beat Carolina without Troy they would clinch the bye under that scenario next Thursday night - Troy (and Ben?) could then be shut down until mid-January

IMO Polamalu is out until at least the Cleveland game January 2

Fire Haley
12-17-2010, 07:26 AM
I haven't read anything about an Achilles problem (not recently anyways)...most of what I've read either says lower leg injury or ankle.

Nobody really knows - they just said it's a reaggravated lower leg injury, that's all - could be ankle or knee, who knows - more cloak and dagger games

To top off the morning - Kordell was just on Mike&Mike calling the Steelers soft for not running the ball

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Nobody really knows - they just said it's a reaggravated lower leg injury, that's all - could be ankle - more cloak and dagger games

To top off the morning - Kordell was just on Mike&Mike calling the Steelers soft for not running the ball

Did Mike or Mike ask Kordell if the current use of the running game had anything to do with the fact the Steelers now have the option of expecting to complete a crucial pass as opposed to knowing they were doomed if they could not run when Kordell was taking the snaps?

I could see Kordell being the guest on some local sports talk show for a station with a 5000 watt signal but am surprised ESPN Radio cannot do better:chuckle:

Fire Haley
12-17-2010, 07:37 AM
They asked Kordell if he thought the Steelers were a SB team - he hemmed and hawed and ducked the question.

So I guess we're back to that soft zone coverage crap again. Holmes could have a field day.

They'll be too afraid to blitz with Troy out.

TRH
12-17-2010, 07:57 AM
damnit. Looks like he'll be out as of this morning.
And i was thinking that this might be the most interesting game of the year so far and would tell a lot about our team...and how important it was to have Troy on his game Sunday.
Please...Please...don't play that zone, end-of-game coverage like we played against NE all game. We'll get creamed.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-17-2010, 08:24 AM
BGS

The problem isnt that there are 10 other guys on the field. The problem is 3 of them are named GAY, Mundy and whoever the other guy is.lol The Steelers have NOT drafted a good secondary player in years. Have not signed one either. Hence the problem in pass defense this year, if you haven't noticed. Troy and tayloer cant cover it all when you have Gay and McF doing what they are not supposed to be doing.

Just keeping Troy back there in the secondary after his injury/TD/INT kept Palmer on his toes and disrupted that area of the field. We didn't have to have him rush. Just like this sunday with the Jets, we wont need him rushing Snachez as their line is beaten up. I expect big game from harrison and Woodley and the line. We need secondary containment, thats all this week.

StainlessStill
12-17-2010, 09:15 AM
This drastically changed the landscape of the Jets escaping Heinz with a victory since Troy is so monumental to the defense. The Steelers need to take care of business without him and clinch a playoff spot AT home, or else that leaves Baltimore right back into the thick of things.

Jets dodged a bullet here, Polamalu would of made Rape-chez look like even more SCUM than he is. Ohwell, looks like Will Allen or Mundy is going to have to come up with a big play of their own.

fer522
12-17-2010, 09:45 AM
people relax we are playing the jets
Sanchez is the QB not Gaydy they're
not gonna throw the ball 50 times
they're gonna run the ball and we're
pretty darn good at stopping the run
so calm down take a deep breath get some water
and get ready for sunday b/c we're kicking
some jets ass with or without Troy
:tt03: :tt02: :tt03: :tt02: :tt03:

saveus1011
12-17-2010, 09:53 AM
It's now on ESPN, even if it IS just the AFC North Blog:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/33784/report-polamalu-not-likely-to-play-vs-jets

MaidenIndiana
12-17-2010, 10:22 AM

I hope you're right, but we sure didn't kick a lot of ass last year when he was out

SoCalFan
12-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Its going to be interresting but im not worried!The jets have not been playing well.Hoping our O turns things around a bit,our D can do enough to win.Seriously,I think we win handily,24-13!!!

Steel_Bus_24
12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
***Insert 5 Sec String of profanity***

please lord enough with the injuries I beg of you.......NE has plenty of healthy guys.....anybody but us again

SoCalFan
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Not saying we are going to lose,I DONT think we will.But if there is a game to lose,this is it because I think the Saints will beat the ratbirds.If Troy gets healthy for the playoffs,so be it!COME ON,SETTLE DOWN.ITS SANCHEZ!!! sorry for yelling....

sharkweek
12-17-2010, 12:12 PM

LOL, talk about WISHFUL thinking.

We have virtually taken away every teams running game, averaging a ridiculously low 60 yards per game rushing. The best rushing effort against us thus far this season came from the Pats, who already had us beat with the pass, so in a sense their pass opened up the run, and even then they only ran for 103 total yards as a team (Green-Ellis was held to 87 individual yards)

Sorry, but you're nuts if you think the Jets are going to come into the game and have a game plan expecting to run and be successful running. While it is true that Troy can be very important in stopping the run, its not nearly important as his play against the pass - his 3 game changing plays in 3 consecutive games were INTs or a sack strip against a passing QB.

There is no way the Jets come in here and hand us the game by trying to run against us.

If the Jets beat us it will be through the air and/or because of our own offense's blunders.

Not saying we are going to lose,I DONT think we will.But if there is a game to lose,this is it because I think the Saints will beat the ratbirds.If Troy gets healthy for the playoffs,so be it!COME ON,SETTLE DOWN.ITS SANCHEZ!!! sorry for yelling....

Actually, the game we can most afford to drop is the one against the Panthers, because they're an NFC team it won't hurt our seeding chances as much in tie break scenarios. Of course as pitiful as the Panthers are, it would be a joke to lose to them in Pittsburgh, even with backups.

Otherwise you're right, we can afford to lose this one assuming we win our next two, even if everyone else in contention wins out.

The most important game left on the schedule is the Browns, we need to beat them to keep the divisional record edge on the Ravens. Of course if the Ravens drop another game in the mean time that changes things

SteelCityMom
12-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Like someone else said, the best possible outcome for this is NO beating the Rats in the 1pm game. If that happens, we don't have to be too worried about the outcome of the Jets game.

I'm still confident the Steelers will do a good job regardless though.

WeegiesWarriors
12-17-2010, 12:51 PM

We have virtually taken away every teams running game, averaging a ridiculously low 60 yards per game rushing. The best rushing effort against us thus far this season came from the Pats, who already had us beat with the pass, so in a sense their pass opened up the run, and even then they only ran for 103 total yards as a team (Green-Ellis was held to 87 individual yards)

Sorry, but you're nuts if you think the Jets are going to come into the game and have a game plan expecting to run and be successful running. While it is true that Troy can be very important in stopping the run, its not nearly important as his play against the pass - his 3 game changing plays in 3 consecutive games were INTs or a sack strip against a passing QB.

There is no way the Jets come in here and hand us the game by trying to run against us.
If the Jets beat us it will be through the air and/or because of our own offense's blunders.

Actually, the game we can most afford to drop is the one against the Panthers, because they're an NFC team it won't hurt our seeding chances as much in tie break scenarios. Of course as pitiful as the Panthers are, it would be a joke to lose to them in Pittsburgh, even with backups.

Otherwise you're right, we can afford to lose this one assuming we win our next two, even if everyone else in contention wins out.

The most important game left on the schedule is the Browns, we need to beat them to keep the divisional record edge on the Ravens. Of course if the Ravens drop another game in the mean time that changes things

If we get shredded by "Dirty" Sanchez even without Troy then we aren't a championship caliber team to begin with. He hasn't shredded anybody for gobs of passing yards this year. He needs a running game to be effective in the passing game. This game is more in the hands of the front 7 than Troy anyway. If we can't stop the run then Troy wouldn't matter. If we can stop the run Sanchez won't win it on his arm. Maybe for a drive or two, but not the entire game.

Will Allen is no Troy Polamalu, but we dont need him to be in this game. Besides, this is exactly why we got him. He needs to step up and be a viable safety... not an MVP safety, but a decent one.

Goldsteel86
12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Hate to see this, such a heartbreaker, only one thing to say from here the Offense better step up!!!! I think Harrison and Woodley will have big games, but this "red zone" B.S. has got to stop, time for the offense to carry the defense. Oh, if I were Tomlin, I would consider sitting him next week also, not trying to look past the Panthers, but a healthy Troy, (Hell a Troy on the field at all) leads to a better defensive effort.

Fire Haley
12-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Just like I predicted....it is an Achilles injury

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 17, 2010

Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu missed his third consecutive practice because of a right Achilles tendon strain and is expected to miss Sunday's 4:15 p.m. game against the New York Jets at Heinz Field.

Steelers players rarely play in a game when they don't participate in the final practice of the week.

In previous weeks, Polamalu missed the first two practices before returning for the final practice. He played in all of those games.

Free safety Ryan Clark, who played some strong safety in last week's game against Cincinnati, is expected to replace Polamalu at strong safety. Ryan Mundy will play free safety.

``Doing more of the things he's been doing, playing (Polamalu) back a little bit (against Cincinnati) gave us versatility in that I can do some of the things called on defense for him to do,'' Clark said after practice. ``We're going to keep that up.''

Also, linebacker James Harrison (illness) and tight end Heath Miller (concussion) returned to practice after sitting out Thursday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_714259.html

--------------

Yay - Heath is back

SteelCityMom
12-17-2010, 01:43 PM
If it's his Achilles that's bothering him the most, at least it's just a strain. That's not something that would keep him out for good.

There's various reports as to what it is though.

Polamalu might miss Sunday's game
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
Friday December 17, 2010 02:19 PM

Polamalu’s injury was initially diagnosed as an Achilles’ tendon strain. Then the Steelers changed the injury to some kind of an ankle issue. This past week, there’s been speculation that his calf is injured as well.

Whatever the exact injury is, Polamalu made it worse this past Sunday when he returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown in the 23-7 win over Cincinnati. Polamalu aggravated the injury when he was hit by Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer just before he scored.

In another injury matter, tight end Heath Miller returned to practice today after missing Thursday’s practice with post-concussion symptoms. Miller missed the Bengals game after sustaining a concussion in the Dec. 5 win in Baltimore.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1373/2010/december/17/polamalu-might-miss-sundays-game.html

This season, with Polamalu not missing a game yet despite a bothersome ankle/Achilles’ tendon injury that causes Tomlin to rest him during Wednesday and Thursday practices, the Steelers have three victories by 3 points or fewer, and two by 6 points.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/12/17/report-steelers-polamalu-likely-to-sit-vs-jets/

Wish him a quick recovery no matter what the injury or injuries are. If we beat the Jets this week though, then Polamalu can basically sit out the rest of the season and just get healthy.

Glad to hear Heath is back though...that's big news for the offense.

SteelCityMom
12-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm going to make a thread for overall injury reports...but it appears that the Steelers have listed Polamalu as doubtful with an ankle injury.

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (ankle) is listed as doubtful for Sunday' game against the Jets.

Polamalu has been bothered with his ankle injury for weeks and he wasn't able to practice this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5930503&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Merchant
12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
May I remind you all the Jets lost their starting safety for the season.. All this does is even the playing field a little bit. No need to panic. Rest Troy for the rest of the season if necessary.

tanda10506
12-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Not to take any credit away from Polamalu, but we have a lot of great players on defense capable of making big plays. That being said, hopefully he plays in this one. If he sits out against the Panthers or Browns I'm not worried about it because neither of those teams have the passing ability like the Jets do. We do need him against the Jets but after that he can rest till the playoffs. If we can't beat the Panthers and the Browns without him then there's no reason to bother playing in the playoffs lol.

Atlanta Dan
12-17-2010, 03:38 PM
May I remind you all the Jets lost their starting safety for the season.. All this does is even the playing field a little bit. No need to panic. Rest Troy for the rest of the season if necessary.

Agreed no need to panic but Jim Leonhard not playing is not exactly the same as losing Troy.

P-G+ speculates Troy may be rested until the playoffs

Even if the Steelers don’t clinch a playoff bye against the Jets, it is unlikely Polamalu will play against the Panthers because the game is just four days later on Thursday night.

And, if the Steelers have secured the AFC North title or playoff bye by then, Polamalu will be held out of the season finale against the Browns, giving him an extended period of nearly a month to rest his injury before the playoffs.
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers

The Steelers really need the bye both for a home game and to rest the injured

Steel_Bus_24
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Dude, New Orleans kicked our asses for 85% of our game with them.......with basically all high school players in their secondary

Expect the Jets to do what they usually do and bring the house just like the Saints did........I have a hard time believing we'll score more then 17........and with Troy out....

http://www.made2mentor.com/Images/jurassicholdbutts.jpg

"Hold on to your Butts"

Fire Arians
12-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I hope you're right, but we sure didn't kick a lot of ass last year when he was out

true that. and he was a huge factor in why we won the last 3 games. if we dropped those, then instead of 10-3 we'd be at 7-6 looking at missin the playoffs again. he is that huge to our team.

fer522
12-17-2010, 05:36 PM

brother we are playing the jets
NOT the pats
and Sanchez is the QB
NOT Brady
and also
Rex is the coach
NOT Bill
and if we cant beat the Jets
then i guess we dont deserve
to be in the playoffs :noidea:

desertsteel
12-17-2010, 07:52 PM
brother we are playing the jets
NOT the pats
and Sanchez is the QB
NOT Brady
and also
Rex is the coach
NOT Bill
and if we cant beat the Jets
then i guess we dont deserve
to be in the playoffs :noidea:

^^^^ Yeah. This.

Rick5895
12-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Not to take any credit away from Polamalu, but we have a lot of great players on defense capable of making big plays. That being said, hopefully he plays in this one. If he sits out against the Panthers or Browns I'm not worried about it because neither of those teams have the passing ability like the Jets do. We do need him against the Jets but after that he can rest till the playoffs. If we can't beat the Panthers and the Browns without him then there's no reason to bother playing in the playoffs lol.

Jets and Panthers I am not worried about wither, and really not worried about the Browns, that being said, the most important game we play of the last 3 is the browns game as it is a division game and we may well need it for a tie breaker if we slip against NYJ (which i am sure we won't)

:tt04:

SH-Rock
12-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Well its good that Timmons has been working in Polamalu's position throughout the season so let's see how he does.