PDA

View Full Version : Announcers have me confused

tanda10506
12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
In the situation that we end up with the same record as the Ravens who would have the advantage? I thought we would have the upper hand since we are 4-1 in our division and most likely will finish 5-1. But I heard from one of the CBS announcers that it would come down to the record against common opponents. That sounds stupid. What's the case?

SteelCityMom
12-19-2010, 04:58 PM
In the situation that we end up with the same record as the Ravens who would have the advantage? I thought we would have the upper hand since we are 4-1 in our division and most likely will finish 5-1. But I heard from one of the CBS announcers that it would come down to the record against common opponents. That sounds stupid. What's the case?

If the Steelers lose tonight and beat the Browns though (and finish 12-4) then we'll have the better division record with 5-1 and the Ravens will have 4-2 (losing to the Bengals and Steelers once each).

Steelers would have to win tonight and against Carolina and lose to the Browns to give the Ravens the edge in common opponents.

I think thats right?? Sounds right in my head. :chuckle:

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 05:03 PM
hate that, baltimore had them at home it's different

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 05:12 PM
2nd tiebreaker should be the amount of bullshit penalties you got thrown at you. we'd have nothing to worry about

steelerchad
12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
If the Steelers lose tonight and beat the Browns though (and finish 12-4) then we'll have the better division record with 5-1 and the Ravens will have 4-2 (losing to the Bengals and Steelers once each).

Steelers would have to win tonight and against Carolina and lose to the Browns to give the Ravens the edge in common opponents.

I think thats right?? Sounds right in my head. :chuckle:

The common opponent is now a non factor. It's game for game at this point. If we win both we got the division. If we lose 1 and the Ravens win both, they have the division, if we both lose 1, we got the division. Since the Ravens have 2 division opponents left, another loss for them would be a division game meaning we could then afford to lose even the Browns game.

SteelCityMom
12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
The common opponent is now a non factor. It's game for game at this point. If we win both we got the division. If we lose 1 and the Ravens win both, they have the division, if we both lose 1, we got the division. Since the Ravens have 2 division opponents left, another loss for them would be a division game meaning we could then afford to lose even the Browns game.

Right, right....thanks for saying it better than me!

I just know the only way we most likely don't make the playoffs at all is if we drop both games...and even then we might still sneak in (though I and everyone else obviously prefers winning the next to and getting the bye).

Chadmagic
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM
We ARE in no matter what! We clinched a playoff spot today because of losses by other teams. So we are guaranteed at least a wild card game.

But if we can win our final 2 then we clinch our division and 2nd seed which gives us a first round bye.
We need the rest though so I hope we can win out and finish 12-4 and rest for a week.

Chadmagic
12-19-2010, 08:13 PM
*Oops it double posted*

SteelCityMom
12-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Yes...we are in. See the clinched playoff thread for details.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=64580