PDA

View Full Version : It's official, our defense sucks without polamalu

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 05:48 PM
one of the most anemic pass offenses in the league, and we just let them march the entire length of the field on us. very sad

stb_steeler
12-19-2010, 05:56 PM
:blah: the whole team does it aint just Troy

Farrior_roirraW
12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeah, giving up 13 points sucks :doh:

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 06:24 PM

giving up 13 to dirty sanchez, yes it does suck. how much points did he score in the last 2 games? not even 13 combined i'd wager, against 2 defenses supposedly worse than ours.

JCPsteelers
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM
The defense wasn't great in the 2nd half but our offensive play was much worse.

NYC_Steeler
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM

We lost, period.

SmashmouthFootball
12-19-2010, 06:27 PM
It was official when we went on a tailspin last year. We are a relatively mediocre defense without Troy in there.

mesaSteeler
12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
one of the most anemic pass offenses in the league, and we just let them march the entire length of the field on us. very sad

Completely agree. We are to damn dependent on Troy.

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 06:28 PM
It was official when we went on a tailspin last year. We are a relatively mediocre defense without Troy in there.

while true people were wondering if it was losing smith that caused it. now it's official that without smith we're still ok. without troy, not.

Farrior_roirraW
12-19-2010, 06:30 PM
giving up 13 to dirty sanchez, yes it does suck. how much points did he score in the last 2 games? not even 13 combined i'd wager, against 2 defenses supposedly worse than ours.

Eh. They were both division games. The defense couldn't stop the run on several drives in crucial moments... its not like Rapechez was having a field day. :noidea:

theplatypus
12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
THE DEFENSE GAVE UP 13 FREAKING POINTS!!!!!!!!!

SteelerEmpire
12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
:blah: the whole team does it aint just Troy

Its pretty well established... just view our W-L record when Troy doesn't play. Playing the Steelers without Troy is like playing the Pats without Brady in there... BIG difference. Troy is kind of injury prone... Need I add there were no sacks or interceptions of Sanchez.... there "seems" to be a difference without Troy...

Busforever
12-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Those kind of game reminds you that Polamalu is not only a guy who sacks or intercepts, but is also a run breaker. I won't say we lost because of that, but that's fact we are better in every compartiment when Polamalu is on the field (except, maybe, when he gambles too much)

Rick5895
12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
The defense DID NOT cost us this game, they gave up 13 friggin points, and at no time did Sanchez drive the field, we gave them good field position all game because we had trouble covering kicks and punts. In fact the defense made stops when they had to. I thought the D played pretty well.

Steel-Bryan
12-19-2010, 06:43 PM
man, the defense gave us a shot at the end of the game

Rick5895
12-19-2010, 06:45 PM
man, the defense gave us a shot at the end of the game

Lose a game and everybody hates on the D. They had 1 bad game this year (NE) played well today even though I felt we played a little "soft" I thought Mundy did a nice job.

Busforever
12-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, when we "criticize" defense (to say Polamalu is missing is no bashing), when we say "we need this, we need that", we should conclude every post by "considering Steelers standards":chuckle: For Steelers fan: a good defense is the best one:tt02:

IowaSteeler927
12-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Honestly I think the defensive playcalling killed us on some of the Jets drives. The Steelers were dropping back into coverage more than usual. It is obvious that Troy Polamalu is invaluable as a safety both against the pass and against the run but we got away from what we do best and that is blitzing and putting pressure on the quarterback. Mark Sanchez has shown himself to be a player that when pressured makes stupid mistakes and he has cost his team games in the past. This game should have been no exception.

Still this was only one aspect of the game and I don't think ultimately that our defense cost us the game so much as the poor officiating did.

steelerjim58
12-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I guess I was hoping against hope that I wouldn't see a thread like this. I can't see how anyone who believes they know football can say our d "sucks". They gave up 13 points today. Short of shutting the Jets out, what more are they supposed to do? It's not the defenses fault that the offense can't get into the endzone. Granted this is not a great d' but they are more than adequate to win many games. But I will say I am very tired of seeing Harrison and Woodley dropping into coverage and hardly ever more than 4 rushing the qb.

IowaSteeler927
12-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I think our D is great but it was obvious that Lebeau didn't think we could rush the passer as effectively without have Troy Polamalu back in coverage. I would have liked to of seen more blitzing despite not having Polamalu, there were times where Mark Sanchez could have literally made himself a sandwich back in the pocket and still had time left to throw the ball.

Chadmagic
12-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Our D without Troy is better than most teams D on an average day. I guess the reason they always get blamed is that we tend to lose when Troy isn't in. So that puts the D in the spotlight and makes it seem as if its their fault. I don't know why we don't win when he isn't in. But I don't think its because our D gives up more points.

TRH
12-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Well, we laid back and gave them the short pass most of the day. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Every team in the league now knows that's how you beat us.
For the naysayers who say we only gave up 13, it wasn't only the points. Field position came into play too when they didn't score. They pinned us deep 3 times. Sometimes total points don't tell the whole story. Pinning us when they didn't score helped them seal the win.

ZoneBlitzer
12-19-2010, 08:14 PM
The defense has consistently given up yards even when Troy is playing. The difference today was they gave up a ton in the run game and nobody stepped up to make that big play that Troy provides.

James Harrison had a rough game. I don't know why on earth would come down so hard from the outside on that QB bootleg that I called from my couch. Somebody has got to spy on the QB on that play.

Having said that the D only gave up 13 points which isn't too shabby. If you're offense can only manage 17 points, you're taking chances when it comes to winning.

Chadmagic
12-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Yes 13 points is 2 TDs over 4 quarters. That's really good. If we did that every game we would be leading the league in points differential.

As pointed out the difference was being pinned back deep. But thats not really on the D, thats on special teams.
That is where our breakdown was today

tony hipchest
12-19-2010, 08:20 PM
only brown fans or bungle fans would say that our defense sucks.

offense is a different story.

steelcity1974
12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah, we didn't get two pick 6s....clearly they suck.

tony hipchest
12-19-2010, 08:45 PM
no offense to the OP, but if an opponents teams fan came in and said "its official, the steelers defense sucks", i would call them an ignorant asshole.

:hunch:

defense didnt give up a return for 97 yds or a safety. :coffee:

Fire Arians
12-19-2010, 08:49 PM
no offense to the OP, but if an opponents teams fan came in and said "its official, the steelers defense sucks", i would call them an ignorant asshole.

:hunch:

defense didnt give up a return for 97 yds or a safety. :coffee:

well you're right, part of it is just me venting after dropping a game that we should have won.

the offense is more to blame and especially the ST.

sbsteeler25
12-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I know Troy still has a few years..But should we not invest in a high draft pick safety to groom and for back up?

sbernola
12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
We needed Troy today. We had no big plays no D. Also, did you see the Jets DB's pulling on the jerseys? The Reffs did not. We will get them back in the play-offs when we are healthy.

JCPsteelers
12-19-2010, 09:18 PM
We need OL and corners more than safety help. In today's NFL its hard to have a lot of depth at a lot of positions. Just have to hope Troy stays relatively healthy.

PhantomJB93
12-19-2010, 09:35 PM
While I agree we would have won with Troy, he was not CRUCIAL to the loss. The D came up with stops when they needed to and I attribute the loss more to our offense...namely to Arians' retarded draw play...

SH-Rock
12-19-2010, 09:44 PM
While I agree we would have won with Troy, he was not CRUCIAL to the loss. The D came up with stops when they needed to and I attribute the loss more to our offense...namely to Arians' retarded draw play...

That was possibly the dumbest play in Steeler history.

mizzouristeeler
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Mundy played pretty well imo. :noidea:

lionslicer
12-19-2010, 10:33 PM
If the defense sucks because 1 player isn't in the line up, then maybe LeBeau needs to figure out a new scheme. Especially if its a saftey, a player thats main job is to just defend against the deep pass and middle of the field. Troy is a special player, he can't be replaced, but he LeBeau needs to fix what he's doing to make it so that if 1 player isn't there, his defense falls apart.

jjpro11
12-19-2010, 10:36 PM
That was possibly the dumbest play in Steeler history.

i called the draw play as soon as the Steelers lined up in that formation.. i am sure the Jets did too.

LVSteelersfan
12-19-2010, 10:37 PM
The defense did not suck that bad today. Special teams and Arian's lack of smart football cost us that game. They never should have been in a position to score. I hate to beat a dead horse about the refs but they are making it impossible for us to win with their lack of PI and holding calls. That blatant lack of call right out in plain sight was so irritating I am lucky I still have a TV and didn't kick my foot right through the screen.

steelerchad
12-19-2010, 10:39 PM
If the defense sucks because 1 player isn't in the line up, then maybe LeBeau needs to figure out a new scheme. Especially if its a saftey, a player thats main job is to just defend against the deep pass and middle of the field. Troy is a special player, he can't be replaced, but he LeBeau needs to fix what he's doing to make it so that if 1 player isn't there, his defense falls apart.

The defense hardly sucked today. 7 points on the opening kickoff and 2 points on a safety. So the D gave up 13 points. 2 fg's and a great call on a QB keeper that fooled our D. If your D gives up 13 points, you should win the game. Would Troy have made 1 or 2 plays and saved the day, yea probably. But he shouldn't have had to. 13 points is a great effort against a 10-4 team. I know their offense has struggled, but they're a good team. Sanchez threw for 170 and their 21 RB's combined for 89 yards. Our D did fine without their best player.

lionslicer
12-19-2010, 10:48 PM
The defense hardly sucked today. 7 points on the opening kickoff and 2 points on a safety. So the D gave up 13 points. 2 fg's and a great call on a QB keeper that fooled our D. If your D gives up 13 points, you should win the game. Would Troy have made 1 or 2 plays and saved the day, yea probably. But he shouldn't have had to. 13 points is a great effort against a 10-4 team. I know their offense has struggled, but they're a good team. Sanchez threw for 170 and their 21 RB's combined for 89 yards. Our D did fine without their best player.

But everyone else says they suck..

I didn't see the game, just the end where Sanchez drove down the field for a field goal.

But history shows Steelers have a less than .500 record without Troy. I blame LeBeaus schemes.

cloppbeast
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
It's official, this thread sucks.....

Third Rail
12-19-2010, 11:04 PM
One thing.

While our defense didn't play quite as poorly today as it might appear, one thing is pretty clear. This defense CANNOT pick a quarterback off unless Polamalu is on the field. I'm not entirely sure why, but for some reason, when he is out there, interceptions are like ripe fruit hanging from trees for a number of defensive backs and linebackers, but when he is not there, the best we can hope for is batting the ball down.

I mean, we're talking about Mark Sanchez here. For a second year man he's not bad but he looked two steps away from being the next Rex Grossman a week ago. And he made some shit throws in this game that SHOULD have been intercepted.

tanda10506
12-19-2010, 11:16 PM
The pass defense wasn't horrible, it just didn't have any takeaways. A lot of Polamalu's takeaways are in the redzone which completely stops the other teams drive. Our pass defense isn't that great with Troy, he just makes it look that good by his play and his play alone. The team has the talent with the exception of BMac at corner, they ought to be shutting the pass down big time.