PDA

View Full Version : Will baseball be America's pasttime again?

steelerchad
12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
There seems to be a lot of people fed up with today's NFL. I don't see it happening any time soon, but someday another sport may take a huge chunk out of the NFL's share of the pie. Doubt it will be baseball. Not in Pittsburgh anyway. Plus, it's too boring.

The NFL is heading down the road NASCAR ventured, not that anyone gives a crap about NASCAR. But they had explosive growth 5-10 years ago and tried to broaden their appeal. Putting tracks in new cities, marketing to casual fans, targeting women viewers, changing rules in the name of safety (but they were really about money).
Do any of the above things sound familiar? It's exactly what the NFL is in the process of doing. Well, in its quest for rapid growth, NASCAR alienated it's core fans and now you'll be hard pressed to find a track that sells out. The NFL is much more popular, but if they continue to piss off their core fans they may be sorry they did so in 10 years.

finesward
12-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Maybe some day the USA will join the rest of the world and watch real football. Too bad we have been conditioned to have attention spans like 2 year olds, violence, a need for constant offense (where the "new" nfl is headed) and watch games with 323 commercials in each game. It's not so much that it's a better sport or the players are generally more intelligent, better conditioned, etc.. it's the fact that the game has been around forever and the rules are still the same as they always were. I know tons of people who gawk at soccer because it's too boring or they don't get it. Like it's unamerican to watch soccer. So yeah, be proud of the american sports...baseball (steroids, cheating) football (cheating, rule changes, pussifying the game for $) and nascar (budweiser) basketball (thugs, fighting in the stands, players choking coaches)

I miss the old NFL

SteelCityMom
12-19-2010, 11:05 PM
I still love football, but if I get a vote for a sport to take it's place, I vote hockey.

It's what Gary Roberts would do.

http://www.joeldixon.com/host/image/blog/crazy_eyes_roberts.png

SteelCityMom
12-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Maybe some day the USA will join the rest of the world and watch real football. Too bad we have been conditioned to have attention spans like 2 year olds, violence, a need for constant offense (where the "new" nfl is headed) and watch games with 323 commercials in each game. It's not so much that it's a better sport or the players are generally more intelligent, better conditioned, etc.. it's the fact that the game has been around forever and the rules are still the same as they always were. I know tons of people who gawk at soccer because it's too boring or they don't get it. Like it's unamerican to watch soccer. So yeah, be proud of the american sports...baseball (steroids, cheating) football (cheating, rule changes, pussifying the game for $) and nascar (budweiser) basketball (thugs, fighting in the stands, players choking coaches)

I miss the old NFL

Soccer's fine...It's not my favorite by a longshot, but I can get into a game every now and then.

Let's not pretend that sport isn't riddled with controversy and violence (mostly from the fans) though. For decades (and probably still some today) soccer clubs were fronts for drug cartels...the most notable being the Colombian team, which was owned by Pablo Escobar for a time, as a money laundering operation. He basically bribed, and sometimes killed people, to get that team a cup.

Anyhow, soccer is probably a bigger money sport (worldwide) than all American sports. There's tons of corruption and dirty play in that sport.

http://www.offshorealertconference.com/2010/articles/corruption-in-soccer-on-mafia-like-scale-says-reporter.asp
http://www.helium.com/knowledge/210341-an-overview-about-corruption-in-professional-soccer

lionslicer
12-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Soccer is too boring for america, not enough scoring. Arena football could be the new big thing in america if they changed the rules... Some of the rules are so stupid.. Like Linebackers can't blitzing unless the tightend blocks and they can't move outside the hashmarks unless the ball is thrown. But its very high scoring and exciting to watch.