PDA

View Full Version : Backup tight end Spaeth stunned by two key drops

mesaSteeler
12-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Backup tight end Spaeth stunned by two key drops
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_714543.html
By Kevin Gorman
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 20, 2010

Matt Spaeth watched it all slip through his hands, just as Ben Roethlisberger's passes escaped his grasp in the end zone.

The Steelers tight end had a chance to provide a thrilling end to Sunday's game against the New York Jets, to bookend his first touchdown reception of the season with a game-winner in the final nine seconds.

And he dropped the ball -- twice.

A stunned Spaeth was apologetic after the Steelers' 22-17 loss to the Jets at Heinz Field, knowing he could have capped an 82-yard drive in the final 2:08 with a 10-yard touchdown catch.

"I could have been the hero," said Spaeth, starting a second consecutive game for Heath Miller (concussion). "Guys made plays all day, especially on that last drive, and it was my turn to step up and make a play, and I couldn't do it."

A scrambling Roethlisberger looked for his tallest target twice in the final two plays, although the 6-foot-7, 270-pound Spaeth cut in front of intended receiver Emmanuel Sanders in the back of the end zone on second-and-goal from the 10 only to let the pass go through his hands.

"It was a great throw," Spaeth said. "I should have caught it."

With two seconds left, Roethlisberger lofted a pass to Spaeth in the left corner of the end zone, but the tight end bobbled the ball before cornerback Marquice Cole broke up the play as time expired.

Roethlisberger, however, would hear nothing about Spaeth being the goat.

"I would never blame Matt," Roethlisberger said. "I thought he made a great effort. He played a great game today. He made a lot of big-time catches, big-time plays. He did a great job of stepping up, not knowing especially if Heath is going to play. I'll take this one on me because I need to make more big plays. Never blame those guys or anybody else. It's on me."

The Jets had struggled to contain tight ends all season, allowing 100-yard games to New England's Aaron Hernandez (six catches for 101) and Houston's Joel Dreessen (four for 106). Spaeth's 9-yard touchdown catch of a Roethlisberger frozen rope between two defenders capped a 16-play, 96-yard drive to tie the game at 7-7 midway through the first quarter, but he finished with just three receptions for 27 yards despite being targeted eight times.

Spaeth was hoping for a big game but didn't deliver what Steelers coach Mike Tomlin would call a "Heath-like" performance.

"Heath's an unbelievable player. We missed him today, but I felt like I had a good chance to step up and fill in his shoes," Spaeth said. "Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way in the end."

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.

plenewken
12-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Spaeth couldn't do squat on the last play, sorry. It's not his fault. It would take more than a Santonio Holmes SB kind of catch to get a TD in these conditions

SH-Rock
12-20-2010, 06:17 AM
He did though block Sanders in the endzone on 2nd down.
I miss Heath.

Whodis
12-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Spaeth had some drops in the cinncy game also. They weren't all great passes, but Miller (along with Hines) always seem to come up with a big catch to keep a drive alove.

plenewken
12-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Spaeth had some drops in the cinncy game also. They weren't all great passes, but Miller (along with Hines) always seem to come up with a big catch to keep a drive alove.

I don't blame Spaeth for the loss. Miller dropped passes and Ward dropped passes too, the last one for Ward being last week.

Coming back to yesterday's loss, what did we do offensively in the first quarter again? NOTHING! This has become a very bad habit.

Whodis
12-20-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't blame Spaeth for the loss. Miller dropped passes and Ward dropped passes too, the last one for Ward being last week.

Coming back to yesterday's loss, what did we do offensively in the first quarter again? NOTHING! This has become a very bad habit.

I made a thread asking questions about problems you stated.

Ward doesn't drop the amount of passes as Spaeth. For being a "backup" he's ok

TRH
12-20-2010, 07:41 AM
i don't blame Spaeth for the last play of the game drop...that was nearly impossible to actually catch. But he did have a couple key drops during the course of the game. In fact, at one point, i said "stop throwing the god***n ball to him".
Either way, if you want to keep your job in the NFL, you have to start catching the ball. This isn't the 1st time.

plenewken
12-20-2010, 07:45 AM
i don't blame Spaeth for the last play of the game drop...that was nearly impossible to actually catch. But he did have a couple key drops during the course of the game. In fact, at one point, i said "stop throwing the god***n ball to him".
Either way, if you want to keep your job in the NFL, you have to start catching the ball. This isn't the 1st time.

You're right but I don't see too many $100M QB passes being thrown either. Most look like they come from a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.

TRH
12-20-2010, 07:49 AM
You're right but I don't see too many $100M QB passes being thrown either. Most look like they come from a 2nd or 3rd tier QB.

I'm a big supporter of Ben's but he downright failed on those last 2 plays. On the last play in particular someone (i have to watch the tape again) was wide open in the middle/back of the end zone for a few seconds. He plain missed that.

tanda10506
12-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't blame Spaeth on the last play either, but damn that guy has to catch something every now and then. Horrible play by Spaeth Sunday.

lionslicer
12-20-2010, 01:38 PM
The last play of the game, Holmes would have a hard time catching that pass, Ben should have ran to his right. The play before that, it would have been an acrobatic catch to make also, I doubt Miller could have done it. Spaeth is an award winning tight end, and in college was better than Heath, but he's more of a blocker, I doubt he even knows a lot of the passing plays because of that. If the Special teams didn't allow a kick return at the begining of the game, or if Arians wasn't an idiot calling a draw play in th endzone and getting a saftey, we wouldn't be having this discussion and the Steelers would have won

plenewken
12-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't blame Spaeth on the last play either, but damn that guy has to catch something every now and then. Horrible play by Spaeth Sunday.

He caught one earlier for a TD. The last one was uncatchable. He's a back up TE, not an elite receiver. I don't think Holmes could have caught that one with 2 feet in bounds either.

Third Rail
12-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm a big supporter of Ben's but he downright failed on those last 2 plays. On the last play in particular someone (i have to watch the tape again) was wide open in the middle/back of the end zone for a few seconds. He plain missed that.

You do realize that he doesn't have a bird's eye view of the field, right? The throw to Spaeth might not have made for an easy catch, but it's not impossible. Ben's made that throw (to other receivers) before and it's worked.

plenewken
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
You do realize that he doesn't have a bird's eye view of the field, right? The throw to Spaeth might not have made for an easy catch, but it's not impossible. Ben's made that throw (to other receivers) before and it's worked.

We can't blame a back-up TD for not making another Immaculate Reception. We didn't have to put ourselves in this situation to begin with. There were 59:01 before this happened during which we missed lots of opportunities and didn't make the plays we should have made.
The Jets beat us, period. No ifs, ands or buts.

figg
12-20-2010, 05:52 PM

He dropped the game winning td the play before the last. WTF are you talking about!?

SoCalFan
12-20-2010, 06:07 PM

The first quarter woes are due to the fact that the first 20 or so plays going into each game are scripted by the guy we all want fired,BRUCE!!! :banging:Im not blaming Spaeth,that was a good drive with poor use of timeouts and some good end zone D....

JEFF4i
12-20-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't blame Spaeth for that, not at all.

Still, I can't help but feel that the majority of the time Heath makes the catch. But that's partially because Heath is the #1 underrated TE in the game.

SteelKid212
12-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by plenewken

you both are retarded.

big ben was the only reason we even had a chance on offense, you idiots try completing all those passes given the o-line and the weather and the broken bones in the body against a blitz happy defense in the jets.

big ben was the reason they even drove 90 some yards down the field, and 96 on a previous drive earlier in the game.
if not for the NO CALL pass interference on sanders, we'd have a 1st and goal at the 1 and you all would be sitting here saying how big ben is clutch in the final seconds.

big ben is the reason the steelers drove aaaall the way down the field against the cards in SB 43 and ur gona say all ben does is fail in clutch moments? MATT "STONE HANDS" SPAETH dropped yet ANOTHER pass, the second to last one in the end zone on that last drive against the jets. watch the replay closely. right through his freakin hands. AGAIN! ben threw a bullet between two jet defenders and it goes right through spaeths hands, and ur going to say ben's throwing like a 2nd and 3rd tier QB??? seriously??? CMON MAN!!!

as if you all know how to play qb, couldnt probly even play in your own back yards, little own in the national football league, where the pro's play.

please save your silly comments and criticism you HATERS.

big ben is awesome!!!!
:tt03:

kirklandrules
12-21-2010, 09:11 AM

That was Spaeth in the back of the endzone, wide open. Ben didn't see him as he was being flushed to his left. When he finally threw the ball, he should have realized that Spaeth is 6'7" and had about an 8" advantage over the d-back. Why didn't he just throw it up for grabs and hope his big guy could outreach the defender? I've never seen Ben use tall receivers to their advantage. Anyone ever remember Ben throwing a high pass that only Plexiglass could catch?

TRH
12-21-2010, 09:15 AM
We can't blame a back-up TD for not making another Immaculate Reception. We didn't have to put ourselves in this situation to begin with. There were 59:01 before this happened during which we missed lots of opportunities and didn't make the plays we should have made.
The Jets beat us, period. No ifs, ands or buts.

i didn't say anything about Spaeth making that catch. The ball should have been thrown to someone else or to Spaeth a second or two earlier when he was wide open in the middle. However, it wasn't.....
I'm not even blaming it on the QB. Our S/T and horrendous officiating cost us the game....not this play alone.

TRH
12-21-2010, 09:21 AM
you both are retarded.

big ben was the only reason we even had a chance on offense, you idiots try completing all those passes given the o-line and the weather and the broken bones in the body against a blitz happy defense in the jets.

big ben was the reason they even drove 90 some yards down the field, and 96 on a previous drive earlier in the game.
if not for the NO CALL pass interference on sanders, we'd have a 1st and goal at the 1 and you all would be sitting here saying how big ben is clutch in the final seconds.

big ben is the reason the steelers drove aaaall the way down the field against the cards in SB 43 and ur gona say all ben does is fail in clutch moments? MATT "STONE HANDS" SPAETH dropped yet ANOTHER pass, the second to last one in the end zone on that last drive against the jets. watch the replay closely. right through his freakin hands. AGAIN! ben threw a bullet between two jet defenders and it goes right through spaeths hands, and ur going to say ben's throwing like a 2nd and 3rd tier QB??? seriously??? CMON MAN!!!

as if you all know how to play qb, couldnt probly even play in your own back yards, little own in the national football league, where the pro's play.

please save your silly comments and criticism you HATERS.

big ben is awesome!!!!
:tt03:

blitz happy Jets? He had all day back there on those 2 plays.There was no blitz. # 1. And # 2, its not Spaeth's fault. It was a pretty much an uncatchable ball, only a "holmes, fitzgerald" type of receiver is able to come down with that.
I AM one of the Big Ben fans and i still think he's a clutch QB, but you put Brees or Brady in that situation and they make the play happen. Period. He had Spaeth WIDE open 2 seconds earlier in the back/middle. Sorry, but as big of a fan of Ben's as i am, you have to make that play. He whiffed on that one.
You are the one who is retarded.