PDA

View Full Version : league officials

TRH
12-20-2010, 08:06 AM
will there be any reprimanding by the league office this week on the officiating crew of the Jets/Steelers game?
Any objective football fan...Jets fan...Steelers fan...the crew's officiating bosses.....can't say they did a good job Sunday. Or even an adequate job. Even the Jets people can't honestly say the crew did a good job.

Is the league going to look at this at least at the end of the season? I've heard people complain about officiating in years past when something doesn't go their way, but i've never seen incompetence like this before. Never on this level. It's almost as if they're not even paying attention at times, untrained...
I think some guys in striped shirts need replaced. Not all of them, but certainly some of them.

USWSteel
12-20-2010, 08:36 AM
the refs league wide are pathetic. So many game changing calls just like today. Between the Refs and a poor passing game we are in for a rough stretch the next 2 games.

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Agreed...and please, let's not let this thread turn into a cry fest about just the calls this past game. There's enough of that going around.

It's been said for years now that the league needs to have full time refs that are better trained and more dedicated to their jobs. These weekend guys just aren't cutting it, and it's getting worse every year.

I have little to no faith in the league as a whole anymore though, so I'm not holding my breath.

FanSince72
12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
After the call on Clark's hit (which was shoulder to hands and nowhere near HTH), I was ready to believe that the fix was in. But in the Pack / Pats game, after a 30 second "no call" on a REAL HTH hit, Hochuli & Co. discussed it and eventually threw a flag for 15 and I thought to myself, "Maybe there's some hope for justice and fairness after all".

But overall, the zebras have acted like scared little kids worrying if the League was gonna punish them for letting guys play football too much.

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 08:53 AM
After the call on Clark's hit (which was shoulder to hands and nowhere near HTH), I was ready to believe that the fix was in. But in the Pack / Pats game, after a 30 second "no call" on a REAL HTH hit, Hochuli & Co. discussed it and eventually threw a flag for 15 and I thought to myself, "Maybe there's some hope for justice and fairness after all".

But overall, the zebras have acted like scared little kids worrying if the League was gonna punish them for letting guys play football too much.

I hate the rule, but the call was a fair one (the just shouldn't have called it helmet to helmet contact). Clark launched and led with his helmet...both of which, if done separately, will cost you 15 yards. If Clark hadn't of launched and made it obvious, it probably wouldn't have been a penalty.

steelerchad
12-20-2010, 09:02 AM
I hate that a couple of calls didn't go our way and the hold on Sanders looks like a big call, but this game was far from being the worst officiated game against us. In fact, this is probably the fairest the officials have been towards us in the last 2 months. If the fix was in, there would have been holding called to stall that last drive long before we got to the 10 yard line. This is just incompetence. We did benefit from a 9 yard 1st down. The fact that we allowed a special teams TD, a safety, and forced no turnovers against a turnover machine the last few weeks in Sanchez cost us this game.

FanSince72
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I hate the rule, but the call was a fair one (the just shouldn't have called it helmet to helmet contact). Clark launched and led with his helmet...both of which, if done separately, will cost you 15 yards. If Clark hadn't of launched and made it obvious, it probably wouldn't have been a penalty.

I can't agree with that.

First of all, it is anatomically impossible for someone to run (or leap) at ANYTHING without having one's head "get there" first, so the whole idea of "leading" is ridiculous. Secondly, the receiver has gone up to make the catch and Clark's job is to see that he either doesn't complete the catch or at least doesn't gain any ground afterward. So the idea of Clark going "up" is a given and is part of defending against the pass. Clark (at impact) deliberately moved his head to his left and brought his shoulder squarely into the hands of the receiver in an attempt to dislodge the ball (another sound play).

So where's the foul?

Where's the "intent" or the "recklessness"?

There wasn't any.

As for his "launching", well what choice does he have? He's already bearing down on the receiver and when the receiver went up, Clark just followed his torso (since that's where the ball will be) and the whole thing took what - 1 /4 of a second? Less?

I thought it was a perfect play and well executed. And I'm not saying that as a fan but as an objective observer. I've seen plenty of questionable hits made by Harrison, Ward, Troy and others and I've had no problem with some of the flags that resulted.

But this particular play bothered me because Clark did everything right (just as James has on several of his "controversial" plays) and yet he STILL got tagged.

At what point does this become ridiculous?

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 09:30 AM
I can't agree with that.

First of all, it is anatomically impossible for someone to run (or leap) at ANYTHING without having one's head "get there" first, so the whole idea of "leading" is ridiculous. Secondly, the receiver has gone up to make the catch and Clark's job is to see that he either doesn't complete the catch or at least doesn't gain any ground afterward. So the idea of Clark going "up" is a given and is part of defending against the pass. Clark (at impact) deliberately moved his head to his left and brought his shoulder squarely into the hands of the receiver in an attempt to dislodge the ball (another sound play).

So where's the foul?

Where's the "intent" or the "recklessness"?

There wasn't any.

As for his "launching", well what choice does he have? He's already bearing down on the receiver and when the receiver went up, Clark just followed his torso (since that's where the ball will be) and the whole thing took what - 1 /4 of a second? Less?

I thought it was a perfect play and well executed. And I'm not saying that as a fan but as an objective observer. I've seen plenty of questionable hits made by Harrison, Ward, Troy and others and I've had no problem with some of the flags that resulted.

But this particular play bothered me because Clark did everything right (just as James has on several of his "controversial" plays) and yet he STILL got tagged.

At what point does this become ridiculous?

Leaving your feet to make a tackle is considered launching. That is what Clark did and that is why it was a correct call.

I don't agree with the refs call on the field that it was helmet to helmet, because it wasn't, but in no way did Clark tackle in the proper way for today's rules.

Sorry, you can try to rationalize it any way you want...but it is what it is. If he hadn't left his feet, the flag probably never would have been thrown.

ncsteeler
12-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Leaving your feet to make a tackle is considered launching. That is what Clark did and that is why it was a correct call.

I don't agree with the refs call on the field that it was helmet to helmet, because it wasn't, but in no way did Clark tackle in the proper way for today's rules.

Sorry, you can try to rationalize it any way you want...but it is what it is. If he hadn't left his feet, the flag probably never would have been thrown.

Exactly, he just needed to run through him like he wasn't there and he probably makes a harder hit and doesn't get the penalty

steelerchad
12-20-2010, 09:54 AM

Launching is the problem. They are really hampering a defenses ability to make plays. If you are a step late to make a play on the ball, launching into the receiver just after he makes the catch is your best chance to break up the pass. If you're not allowed to do that, well...... I don't know what to say.

JiF
12-20-2010, 09:55 AM
The Steelers have never benefited from poor officiating. Never. Not this year vs. the Dolphins and definitely not when they beat the Seahawks for a SB.

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Launching is the problem. They are really hampering a defenses ability to make plays. If you are a step late to make a play on the ball, launching into the receiver just after he makes the catch is your best chance to break up the pass. If you're not allowed to do that, well...... I don't know what to say.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it's been against the rules for at least 3 years now so there shouldn't be any reason a defender thinks it's ok to do.

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
The Steelers have never benefited from poor officiating. Never. Not this year vs. the Dolphins and definitely not when they beat the Seahawks for a SB.

You can suck it at this point. If you can't come here and either talk about the game or the rest of the season, you can go play with your boyfriends back at Jets Nation.

The refs suck this year, for everyone. Steelers have benefited at times, and have been given the shaft at times...same as every other team. End of story.

JiF
12-20-2010, 10:12 AM
You can suck it at this point. If you can't come here and either talk about the game or the rest of the season, you can go play with your boyfriends back at Jet Nation.

The refs suck this year, for everyone. Steelers have benefited at times, and have been given the shaft at times...same as every other team. End of story. Go gloat somewhere else.

I'm not gloating...I've already said I love you all and good luck the rest of the way. And how the terrible towel has changed my life. :tt04:

Just shocked that such a pride full group of fans from such an illustrious team are actually pinning this game on officiating. You guys were given 2 first downs that were at least 2-3 yards short on a TD drive.

The officiating was bad for both teams and its not the reason why you lost. You lost because you physically dominated at the LOS by our offensive line.

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm not gloating...I've already said I love you all and good luck the rest of the way. And how the terrible towel has changed my life. :tt04:

Just shocked that such a pride full group of fans from such an illustrious team are actually pinning this game on officiating. You guys were given 2 first downs that were at least 2-3 yards short on a TD drive.

The officiating was bad for both teams and its not the reason why you lost. You lost because you physically dominated at the LOS by our offensive line.

I know, I deleted the gloating part, because that's not what you were doing. A bit of trolling yes, but not gloating (yet).

And you're preaching to the choir about the officials. The Steelers have managed to pull off wins (sometimes big wins...example Raiders game) where the penalty calls were exceedingly lopsided. Officials will always suck, can't let them dictate the game though.

To be perfectly honest though, I'm sure there were a good bit of Jets fans who were bitching about the officiating during the game, and would have bitched worse about it after the game had they lost. I don't like it, but it's pretty much what some of every fanbase does after a loss. Sometimes it's just easier for some people to use the refs as a scapegoat than to realize that their team just didn't play well enough.

Lex Yinzer
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
will there be any reprimanding by the league office this week on the officiating crew of the Jets/Steelers game?

According to Bob Smizik, there's a "good" reason why that won't happen, though he doesn't actually tell us what that "good" reason is.
_____

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/26656-steelers-lost-to-jets-22-17#comments

JiF
12-20-2010, 10:24 AM
I know, I deleted the gloating part, because that's not what you were doing. A bit of trolling yes, but not gloating (yet).

And you're preaching to the choir about the officials. The Steelers have managed to pull off wins (sometimes big wins...example Raiders game) where the penalty calls were exceedingly lopsided. Officials will always suck, can't let them dictate the game though.

To be perfectly honest though, I'm sure there were a good bit of Jets fans who were bitching about the officiating during the game, and would have bitched worse about it after the game had they lost. I don't like it, but it's pretty much what some of every fanbase does after a loss. Sometimes it's just easier for some people to use the refs as a scapegoat than to realize that their team just didn't play well enough.

Now thats a level headed post. The Jets put together one of their better games of the season and barely pulled it off. Thats a credit to the Steelers. They're a good damn team and when they put it all together...are hard to beat. I'd like to think the Jets are the same way...but they are NY Jets and not the Steelers.

In a game like that, its decided at the LOS. The Jets won that battle. We only allowed 1 sack, and they were blasting your Dline of the LOS which was allowing for a lots of running room. Couple that with good individual play from our RB/WR's...you have a Jets victory.

SoCalFan
12-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey,what do you know,another "weve been screwed by the refs thread" !A weekly occurance!

SoCalFan
12-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Now thats a level headed post. The Jets put together one of their better games of the season and barely pulled it off. Thats a credit to the Steelers. They're a good damn team and when they put it all together...are hard to beat. I'd like to think the Jets are the same way...but they are NY Jets and not the Steelers.

In a game like that, its decided at the LOS. The Jets won that battle. We only allowed 1 sack, and they were blasting your Dline of the LOS which was allowing for a lots of running room. Couple that with good individual play from our RB/WR's...you have a Jets victory.

Come on peanut butter,lets try to think outside your bubble!

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons I think the Steelers lost...mainly the kickoff returned for a TD, Scott whiffing on a block resulting in a touchback and the fact that Mendenhall was basically having a career game getting an average of 6 yards/carry against a stingy run defense...and they chose to pass the ball more than 50% of the time. It's just classic Arians.

I get pissed at the refs, like any normal person would at some points, but in all honesty...the only calls I really feel are "game-changing" are bad or missed PI calls in the endzone (the ones that put the offense on the 1 yard line). Good calls are fine, but bad ones are just like giving the team a free TD. Every other call can be overcome by good play on the next 3 downs.

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey,what do you know,another "weve been screwed by the refs thread" !A weekly occurance!

Don't hate me. I'm trying to keep this just about the overall poor performance of the refs...not about this game in particular.

SoCalFan
12-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Its not you,its the whole board.I,like most fans,am tired of week to week seeing unfair games like this.I know you are trying to get us to see the fairness in this(this game in particular),but its hard to just sweep this under the rug and move on when its such a HUGE part of the game and has such an impact on the outcome!It will be interresting to see how the officiating in the playoffs go.It will be a wonderful miracle to see a fairly called game!I know we are ALL tired of discussing this!

SteelCityMom
12-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Its not you,its the whole board.I,like most fans,am tired of week to week seeing unfair games like this.I know you are trying to get us to see the fairness in this(this game in particular),but its hard to just sweep this under the rug and move on when its such a HUGE part of the game and has such an impact on the outcome!It will be interresting to see how the officiating in the playoffs go.It will be a wonderful miracle to see a fairly called game!I know we are ALL tired of discussing this!

I know...it's getting worse every year. And that keeps getting said every year.

It's a broken record theme, but the NFL makes, literally, tons of money every year. They can afford to hire and train full time officials. The fact that they don't says a lot about where the league is (and has been) headed.

The NHL, which makes considerably less money, has full time officials. Yes, I understand that their season is longer, with a ton more games played...but that's not the point. Something needs to be done, either in training or hiring of officials, because it's clearly a league wide issue.

4xSBChamps
12-20-2010, 11:29 AM
despite being the wealthiest & richest of the 4 major sports (football, baseball, basketball, and hockey) in North America, the officiating in the NFL, done by part-timers, is atrocious at-best:
they can't keep-track of what down it is, what the required distance needed is, where to spot the ball after a play, and after yesterday's game, 'apparently' they think a gain of 9 yards on 1st down constitutes a first down.

a few weeks ago against Baltimore, the Purple Brown Right Tackle jumped the snap on at-least a dozen plays, setting-up at angle to block a blitzing Steeler, with nothing called, yet, during that same game, one of the crack NFL Officials called a penalty because an 'Offensive Lineman lined-up with his head behind the Center's belt-line':
h-d-F do they make that call when they miss the obvious so-many times?

A prime example from yesterday's game ~ watch a replay of when Sanchez ran his naked-bootleg, as the last NYJ blocker fell and tried to leg-whip the last Steeler defender at the goal-line, an obvious infraction in the open-field:
I mention this example, which occured against the Steelers, only because my non football-fan fiancee was watching, and asked 'is he allowed to do that?'

(note to Ms. Goodell ~ if the uninterested can see this, shouldn't your employees, charged with Officiating the contests see it, too?)

with his speed & low center-of-gravity, James Harrison (amongst others in the League) is held... BLATANTLY-HELD, at-least 4 times a game, but it is rarely called:
how do you not SEE that being done when an official is stationed in the pocket, looking for those infractions?

20 years ago, with less-sophisticated technologies, you could easily 'hear' the Officials blow their whistle after each & every play while watching on TV, yet today, with the capability to listen when fleas fart, you rarely hear a whistle to signal that play has stopped:
instead, after the ball carrier may / may-NOT have been tackled, the Officials gather-around with a look of total confusion in their faces to discuss what they may / may-NOT have seen, where / where-NOT to spot the ball, what down it is / ISN'T, while the fans at home get to watch 4 commercials as the Officials verify that poop flows down-stream

over the last 10 years, on-field Officials have been leery in making calls... even EASY calls, for-fear that instant reply would prove them wrong, yet now that Ms. Goodell has decreed that the game will become safer (despite increasing the games from 16 to 18, which is by-definition, 'HYPOCRACY'), Officials waste no-time in throwing a flag on anything that resembles a rough hit:
adding additional rules and interpretations (... the 'Tuck Rule'?... making a 'football-movement'?) is only gonna muddy the waters further, but the League ratings continue to grow.

Being both a footbal fan & hockey fan for most of my life (44 & 38 seasons, respectively), I never in my wildest dreams thought that the NHL officiating would make the NFL look-like pikers, but I believe that has happened in recent years:
at-least the NHL goes to a centralized control-room in Toronto to verify it's instant replay and questionable calls

A wise gal once told me that 'you don't always get what you deserve... but you ALWAYS get what you settle-for', and she was exactly correct, so as-long-as a majority of American's continue to 'settle' for this watered-down version of the game, we'll keep getting it handed to us:
keep spending your hard-earned dough at the NFL store, while Ms. Goodell & her sisters destroy the fabric & credibility of the game

:banging: