PDA

View Full Version : Monday looks better than Sunday

mesaSteeler
12-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Monday looks better than Sunday
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/26663-monday-looks-better-than-sunday
Monday, December 20, 2010 08:00 AM
Written by Bob Smizik

In the morning after the loss to the New York Jets and the understandable negativity that went with such a defeat, itís clear the Steelers situation remains a good one and thereís reason for optimism.

They remain in control of their destiny and need only beat Carolina (2-12) Thursday at Heinz Field and Cleveland (5-9) in 13 days to secure the second seed in the AFC and the first-round bye that comes with it.

The 22-17 loss to the Jets, as bitter as it was, came against a playoff-caliber team and in a game where the Steelers acquitted themselves reasonably well.

The offensive line had one of its better games of the season, protecting Ben Roethlisberger well and not delivering the bundle of penalties as too often had been the case.

The defense limited the Jets to one touchdown and two field goals, certainly not a poor performance despite the Jets previous offensive ineptitude.

Rashard Mendenhall had an excellent game, 100 yards on 17 carries against one of the NFLís better defenses.

The defense played well without Troy Polamalu, who probably wonít play Thursday, but who figures to be fairly healthy for the start of the playoffs.

Further reason for hope is the fact the seemingly unbeatable New England Patriots struggled mightily against the Green Bay Packers last night before winning 31-27. Inexperienced Green Bay quarterback Matt Flynn completed 24 of 37 passes for 251 yards and three touchdowns.

If Flynn can do that, itís possible other quarterbacks, such as Ben Roethlisberger, can do more.

If the Steelers can win their final two, and they should, barring further injury theyíll enter the post-season in reasonably good health, with tight end Heath Miller also expected back, and carrying some momentum as the result of winning six of their final seven.

The road to the Super Bowl still goes through Foxboro, but the Steelers have a good chance of at least being on that road.

rrage
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Amen, if all seem reasonably healthy including A. Smith we will be a definite factor in the playoffs. I also think the rising play of Sanders will pay big dividends. I truly believe we will be hitting on all cylinders offensively by then. if the last game was indication that the line finally is gelling then watch out. :tt04:

stb_steeler
12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
:hatsoff: to Greenbay....they played a great defensive game lastnight....

Fire Arians
12-20-2010, 08:24 PM
hopefully thursday is gonna look better than sunday.

330steelerguy
12-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Unfortunately we do not have the corners to man up! I still think with the right game plan we could pull off the win.cannot give marsha time to pick us apart...gotta get pressure up the middle and somehow make her uncomfortable.

finesward
12-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately we do not have the corners to man up! I still think with the right game plan we could pull off the win.cannot give marsha time to pick us apart...gotta get pressure up the middle and somehow make her uncomfortable.

we had the same corners, more or less, when we won in 2008. It all comes down to the guys up front applying pressure to the QB thus diminishing the pressure on the corners... I think with a.smith back and troy back to being troy we can win it all. If the offense puts 3 games together where they are capable of playing and the D can step up and start doing what we know they already can do...#7 is not a pipe dream

330steelerguy
12-20-2010, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=finesward;883067]we had the same corners, more or less, when we won in 2008. It all comes down to the guys up front applying pressure to the QB thus diminishing the pressure on the corners... I think with a.smith back and troy back to being troy we can win it all. If the offense puts 3 games together where they are capable of playing and the D can step up and start doing what we know they already can do...#7 is not a pipe dream[QUOTE]. I agree to apoint..but if we make it to the patsies I'm sorry I just Don't have the confidence in our coaching staff to make the adjustments needed to win. For watever reason we just do not matchup against them and always gets out coached.

SH-Rock
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
The Pats struggled because...wait for it...wait for it...rushing the QB and forcing him to make some bad passes.

330steelerguy
12-20-2010, 10:33 PM
The Pats struggled because...wait for it...wait for it...rushing the QB and forcing him to make some bad passes.

Excatly...yet we will rush three drop everyone back and goodells golden boy will pick us apart.:coffee:

JEFF4i
12-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Let's be honest. Keisel and Smith rushing three is far scarier than Hood and that other guy.

Jus' sayin.

Now, if we can get some CB blitzes on Brady, with Harrison and Timmons on his beloved TEs, and Polamalu and Clark all over Branch and Welker, it'd seem good in concept. Hint: CB Blitzes work well on Brady, and we might as well make them useful somehow.